FTF Hound with no hides of their own

JonInNH1

I made a guess as to who you're talking about (it's fairly obvious).

They seem to be model cachers! They leave nice logs -- not just a "TFTC TNLNSL". They are appreciative of the hiders' efforts. They are not reckless or irresponsible: in one log, they mention that the cache was published just after 9:00, but the park closes at 9:00, so they waited until morning (and still got the FTF). In another log, they mention going out at night for an FTF, getting home and realizing that they had accidentally stuck the cache logbook in their pocket -- so they immediately turned around and went back out, at 2:30 in the morning, to put it back.

Never met them, but they seem like terrific cachers to me.

being a newbie with just 49 caches, i'm waiting to place my first hide until i get a wide variety of caches so i know what i want to do for my own. that said, should i not go after that illusive FTF ?? i think not, everyone wants the glory of a FTF, why not me.

Edited by osubrownsfan

Would this bother you? :lol:

Not now. I could't care less who gets to type Wooohooooo!!! FFFFFTTTTTFFFFF!! on a silly webpage. :) But that has just come with age. I must say, a few years ago, some people got pretty worked up over a rabid (at the time) newbie FTF hound who didn't hide any caches of their own for quite some time.

They seem to be model cachers! They leave nice logs -- not just a "TFTC TNLNSL". They are appreciative of the hiders' efforts. They are not reckless or irresponsible: in one log, they mention that the cache was published just after 9:00, but the park closes at 9:00, so they waited until morning (and still got the FTF). In another log, they mention going out at night for an FTF, getting home and realizing that they had accidentally stuck the cache logbook in their pocket -- so they immediately turned around and went back out, at 2:30 in the morning, to put it back.

I doesn't bother me. There are plenty of people around me who hide more than find. I just think it is a little odd that someone who loves the sport so much wouldn't try to do some hides of their own.

Just for the record, I have absolutely no problem personally with them whatsoever and never considered them other than model cachers or people.

I doesn't bother me. There are plenty of people around me who hide more than find. I just think it is a little odd that someone who loves the sport so much wouldn't try to do some hides of their own.

Just for the record, I have absolutely no problem personally with them whatsoever and never considered them other than model cachers or people.

Sooo, what is the purpose of this thread? :lol:

Edited by Snoogans

Sooo, what is the purpose of this thread? :lol:

Um..... opinions.

No, it would not "Bother" me. (if they are the type of hider that would not put any thought into their hides)... May I ask what prompted this question?

It was the first time (and only so far) I had seen a very active cacher with no hides. That is all. The fact that they are a FTF hound made it seem even more unusual.

No, it would not "Bother" me. (if they are the type of hider that would not put any thought into their hides)... May I ask what prompted this question?

It was the first time (and only so far) I had seen a very active cacher with no hides. That is all. The fact that they are a FTF hound made it seem even more unusual.

I think the concept that you must hide caches in order to give back to the sport is no longer valid. At one point you needed more cachers to hide caches so there would be something to find. In most urban areas there are now enough participants in the sport that we aren't about to run out of new caches. In some rural areas and some places where geocaching still hasn't caught on you may need to consider ways to encourage more hides.

Once an area has gotten to a critical mass, I would prefer that people who don't want to take the time to actually put some thought into a hide be discouraged from hiding caches. Hide a cache only when you are inspired to hide a cache and generally when you can spend some time getting your container ready and selection a good spot for your hide. Some people will naturally be hiders and will hide more caches, others will only hide an occasional cache, and some will never hide a cache.

Doesn't bother me a bit.

There are hiders and there are finders.

Lots of different ways to give back to this little activity of ours. CITO, trading up always, leaving kind descriptive logs, organizine events, help out in the forums, support local groups, do cache maintenance, teach others - etc. Even simple things - like leaving the FTF prize for somebody else.

Would this bother you?

I think the fact that someone has made a point of posting about this sort of implies that they do have a problem with it. Otherwise, why even mention it?

If the cacher's finds in question weren't FTFs, would it be a problem then? Should people with few or no hides wait to find a new cache until someone else with more hides has logged the FTF? Is there a proper ratio of hides to finds that you would feel is acceptable?

:lol::):):):):):D:D:):)

YES!!!! IT BOTHERS ME TO NO END THAT SOMEONE WOULD GO OUT THERE AND FIND A BUNCH OF CACHES - ESPECIALLY FTF - AND NOT LET OTHER PEOPLE GET THOSE AND THEN NOT HIDE ANY CACHES OF THEIR OWN.

I MEAN, COME ON...IT'S NOT THAT HARD TO GO GET A 35MM FILM CANISTER FROM WAL-MART AND DROP IT NEXT TO THE GAS STATION DOWN THE STREET. THEY COULD HIDE 5 OR 6 FOR EVERY FTF THEY GET AND REALLY GIVE SOMETHING BACK TO THE REST OF US.

:):):):):):):):):D:D

P.S. You know what else makes me mad? Forum threads where everyone agrees with a reasonable statement. Sheesh. Why does my post say KoosKoos instead of Ringbone?

I'll agree!! Someone who has been around since '04 (it was quite easy to look them up in your area) who is obviously a very active geocacher, as evidenced by them being FTF hounds, who has never hidden a cache? It is unusual, something you don't see every day.

So fear not, not everyone is piling on. :lol:

I agree with Mr. T (but I didn't quote him). It is not as important as it was a few years ago to have a need for cachers who "give back".

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

Its funny, I can look through the forums and find (without effort) people complaining about others hiding too many caches, and then someone else complaining about one guy not hiding any caches... and someone complaining about a newb hiding caches too soon...

Its funny, I can look through the forums and find (without effort) people complaining about others hiding too many caches, and then someone else complaining about one guy not hiding any caches... and someone complaining about a newb hiding caches too soon...

It used to be that there were regular thread arguing that people should keep to a minimum hide to find ratio. Most people have moved on from this kind of thinking, but some have not.

Also, keep in mind that some geocachers don't want to deal with all the work which comes from hiding a cache. After all, it does need to be properly maintained. Additionally, I'm sure some geocachers are simply concerned with having to one day deal with the police squad knocking on their door because their "hide" was discovered by a geomuggle who called in the FBI SWAT team.

I think the concept that you must hide caches in order to give back to the sport is no longer valid.

I agree.

Once an area has gotten to a critical mass, I would prefer that people who don't want to take the time to actually put some thought into a hide be discouraged from hiding caches. Hide a cache only when you are inspired to hide a cache and generally when you can spend some time getting your container ready and selection a good spot for your hide.

And even more so with this!

I'm in a saturated area; plenty of people who make hides, and several who put out a high number of good-quality, imaginative caches. There's absolutely no reason for those with less time and motivation to put out caches just for the sake of doing it.

Would this bother you? :lol:

No, not at all. Some folks contribute to the sport by hiding caches, and others contribute in other ways (i.e. by hosting events, by doing cache maintenance as they hunt caches, by killing cache pirates or by spraying anti-muggle spray near cache, etc.) , while others do not contribute much at all. Likewise, some people are good at hiding, and others, well, let's just say that it is really best for everyone that they do NOT hide caches! So, I have no problem with this at all.

I've got a friend that I met on a FTF in the middle of the night who has ZERO finds as well. Nicest and most respectful guy you could ever meet. Just hasn't placed any yet. I think he's nearing 1000 finds.

I will agree with the already stated statement of many other cachers.

It doesn't BOTHER me.

I find it odd though. But (as others too have said) it's nice that they don't feel they NEED to hide caches and just go out and throw down 50,000 LPCs just to feel special.

Ofcourse, I'm a newbie, I'll fully admit it. 40 finds (approx), 0 hides. 0 FTF.

I am working on a hide (I have the container, I have the spot, I have the micros ready to lead up to it. I just need the stuff to put in the cache), and have more in mind.

I am working on a hide (I have the container, I have the spot, I have the micros ready to lead up to it. I just need the stuff to put in the cache), and have more in mind.

Well, you're 99% there!!! Just toss in a used toothbrush, some McToys, a used keychain and a roll of tape and you're good to go! :lol:

The fact that they are a FTF hound made it seem even more unusual.

What's with the FTF angle? Does that require special participation...hiding boxes first?

No, it means that they are putting forth a lot of effort to play this game, but only part of it.

Some folks don't care for travel bugs. They won't touch 'em. Same difference. They are not experiencing that part of the game. That doesn't bother me either. That's the great thing about geocaching. It's up to YOU to decide your level of participation. :lol:

Now, a person with no finds hiding a cache.... There's a thread for you. :):)

Edited by Snoogans

being new, I'm just glad I find one...the last thing i need to do is that...

even though i have no idea how to know when a new one is posted...off to read more i go...

I even had this odd thought yesterday that one day i might find all of them in my area and a possibly great hobby could screech to a halt...i worry more aobut that...

There was a fierce FTF competition between two cachers near me for a while. Neither had any hides. It did kind of bother me, though this was several years ago, when hides were scarce. Eventually one of them stopped caching and the other became a very occasional cacher. He finally placed one hide after finding his 1000th.

Now there are so many caches that it's no issue for me.

I would sure rather not place any pressure on anyone to hide.

The fact that they are a FTF hound made it seem even more unusual.

What's with the FTF angle? Does that require special participation...hiding boxes first?

No, it means that they are putting forth a lot of effort to play this game, but only part of it.

Well, if the FTF hound found a new cache already signed "The ghost of Elvis was here"or "Discovered accidentally by alien greys visiting from outside the Milky Way it could bother them, as they they would not know for sure if they were really FTF... :lol:

...some people are good at hiding, and others, well, let's just say that it is really best for everyone that they do NOT hide caches!....

I can think of one or two cachers that I would list in this category. At least one of them is a nice guy. Just can't put together a decent cache.