How many of you would be interested in finding my cache?

Recently I decided to set up a cache, and I wanted to do something different. Unfortunately, I have a lot of questions and I wanted some old pros to answer them for me.

When I found a bike lock that was probably once attached to a very nice bike on the bike rack of my apartment complex, I thought it might make a pretty wicked little cache container. It's been cut and long abandoned, so it was worthless. I removed the panel that kept the batteries dry (why would a bike lock have batteries, anyway?), used a Dremel to hollow out enough space to put a log wrapped up in a waterproof bag in there, and then attached a screw to the panel for easy removal. All you have to do is give it a little tug and it pops right off. My plan is to put it back where I found it and let people have a go at it, after I get permission from the owners. So here are my questions:

1. Would you, as cachers, be interested in finding this cache? It only took me a couple of hours to make, so if the response is negative I won't have a huge problem with tossing the thing in the trash.

2. Have you ever seen anything like this at all? I don't want to be the guy who thinks an LP skirt is cute and original.

3. How would you class this in size? Absolutely nothing can fit in this compartment but a log, and that's quite a squeeze. Is this cache a micro, a nano or what? I'm unsure if classification is done by size of the container or size of the compartment; usually the two are close enough to be synonymous.

4. Would my apartment complex's bike rack be a decent enough spot to hide it? I'll go ahead and tell you right now that it's anything but scenic, but I was wondering how many of you would still call it a good cache if it was original enough.

5. Any peeves/ethical qualms/other?

Edited by miles_vagar

As a container it sounds interesting but as others mentioned, putting it on the bike rack near your apartment is not a good idea.

How about finding a spot more remote and attaching the lock to something (perhaps an ammo can?) so that it looks like it's serving it's intended purpose.

Now, that's just evil! I like it! Empty ammo can, with the cache being the bicycle lock.

To OP, no thanks on the apartment bike rack. Yes, to the bike lock in the woods somewhere!

Recently I decided to set up a cache, and I wanted to do something different. Unfortunately, I have a lot of questions and I wanted some old pros to answer them for me.

When I found a bike lock that was probably once attached to a very nice bike on the bike rack of my apartment complex, I thought it might make a pretty wicked little cache container. It's been cut and long abandoned, so it was worthless. I removed the panel that kept the batteries dry (why would a bike lock have batteries, anyway?), used a Dremel to hollow out enough space to put a log wrapped up in a waterproof bag in there, and then attached a screw to the panel for easy removal. All you have to do is give it a little tug and it pops right off. My plan is to put it back where I found it and let people have a go at it, after I get permission from the owners. So here are my questions:

1. Would you, as cachers, be interested in finding this cache? It only took me a couple of hours to make, so if the response is negative I won't have a huge problem with tossing the thing in the trash.

2. Have you ever seen anything like this at all? I don't want to be the guy who thinks an LP skirt is cute and original.

3. How would you class this in size? Absolutely nothing can fit in this compartment but a log, and that's quite a squeeze. Is this cache a micro, a nano or what? I'm unsure if classification is done by size of the container or size of the compartment; usually the two are close enough to be synonymous.

4. Would my apartment complex's bike rack be a decent enough spot to hide it? I'll go ahead and tell you right now that it's anything but scenic, but I was wondering how many of you would still call it a good cache if it was original enough.

For Pete's sake, you're from Nashville, and you're asking people in these forums about a possible micro idea? :lol:

Well here's proof the forums don't represent reality. I too would ignore such a cache. Rooting around acting like a whacked-out nutcase in front of an Apartment building bike rack is <Austin Powers> Not my bag, baby. </Austin Powers> Having permission is great, but in this case, I still probably would pass.

However, the overwhelming majority of geocachers will look for anything you place anywhere, and you'll probably get zero complaints. It certainly is a clever idea, and sounds like you did a nice job.

I'm going to recommend against doing it from your suggested location.

Honestly, poking around apartment bike racks is a really bad idea. It looks remarkably conspicuous, and, coming from someone who often commutes on a bike. No one wants to see someone poking around near their bike. No one.

That said.. The container idea sounds cool, there is a lot of potential for other places to hide it.. See if you can find someplace odd or interesting to hide it.

Wasting such an awesome cache container would really suck.

..... Granted as said, you could hide it in the middle of a sewage pit, and people would still hunt it and still find it and still say "TNLNSL TFTC"

How about finding a spot more remote and attaching the lock to something (perhaps an ammo can?) so that it looks like it's serving it's intended purpose.

This is brilliant! (and I've actually seen something similar). You'd need to put something in the ammo can along the lines of "not the cache" ..

Messing with locks on a bike rack would go directly into the "no go" category for me, permission or not. If I even had the cache loaded, the instant the coords started to bring me onto the apartment grounds I'd just leave.

Oh yes, the cache size is Micro (there is no Nano category).

Edited by Isonzo Karst

Honestly, poking around apartment bike racks is a really bad idea. It looks remarkably conspicuous, and, coming from someone who often commutes on a bike. No one wants to see someone poking around near their bike. No one.

This is a great point. No one wants to see anyone poking around near their bike! Even if it was removed to a remote bike rack in a park, or along a bike trail. There are probably many places you could put it where it wouldn't look too far out of place, especially if there were many other potential micro hiding spots in the area. I assume this would be a "no hints" cache.

I like the idea, except for the bike rack. Secure it almost anywhere else and I think you'll have a fun cache. In fact, if you secure it to a disused bike rack somewhere it might be a winner. I just can imagine that any residents who lock up there bikes at that rack would get upset if cachers are giving the area too much attention.

It sounds like a cool idea; but I wouldn't feel comfortable poking around a bike rack. Some cachers may think since it is an apartment complex that they could come anytime day or night. That could be upseting to a resident.

The container would be cool to use though. Try finding a different spot. I love the ammo can idea. It would be funny to see how many fake logs would be put in the cache after someone gets tired of looking for the real log. :lol:

I found a cache like that a few years ago, not on a bike rack, (Bike rack=bad idea, just think about this, lets say you have a bike in a rack and someone is poking around the rack. What would you think)

The one I found was on a gated fire road, there were lots of lock there, one for each agency that needs to get up the road. The cache kind of stuck out because it was a nice new lock while the other locks were old.

okay honestly even if it was on the bike rack i would go after it because its still another cache experience and im sure there are others that would also go after it but then on the other hand it does sound like a cool cache container and to keep those that would go after it if it was placed somewhere else i am with the others. Find a pretty park or one of the lakes and find a better more interesting spot to hide it

I'll have to agreee with most of the others - I would probably pass on it if it required messing around with a lock near other people's bikes. Also bound to be overlooked by numerous houses and apartments - that would make me pass it up as well. Find a secluded location that is interesting and it sounds like an interesting container to use.

Wow, thanks for the overwhelmingly helpful responses, guys. No sarcasm.

Only problem with some suggestions is that the lock has been cut and I can't attach it to much at all. My welding skills are nonexistent, and I don't have a key. But the majority of you, I think, said that you wouldn't mind this cache hidden in another location and with a twist. Awesome--will do.

My question now is how I should class it. Is it a micro, a nano or what?

That's what I call a technial hide. It has a place in caching. For those who like a challenge in the find itself as much as anything else.

Since it can be a difficult find...go for the permission and then place it and monitor carefully.

As for me...I may or may not look for it depending. I don't like caching around muggles. If the area is vacant on a weekend I'd look. If not I'd pass on it.

Edited by Renegade Knight

There is actually no such thing as a nano. Some people just have taken to calling extremely small micros - nano caches. So obviously - you have to list it as a micro.

Be sure to read and re-read all of the guidelines until you understand them before submitting your new cache - it will save you headaches with the review process.

There is actually no such thing as a nano. Some people just have taken to calling extremely small micros - nano caches. So obviously - you have to list it as a micro.

Be sure to read and re-read all of the guidelines until you understand them before submitting your new cache - it will save you headaches with the review process.

Right. I've read and re-read the guidelines, and I did know that--but I wanted to have some helpful info on my cache page when it's published, since it could be a really tricky find. I was going to log it as a micro, but I didn't know if I should tell them something else. Probably I'll steal RK's term "technical hide" and explain that it's neither a micro or a nano, but somewhere in between.

Edited by miles_vagar

Sounds cool. Your biggest problem was asking for everyone's opinion. Just go plant the cache if you have proper permission and follow caching guidelines. Asking for opinions here will get you nothing but a 50-50 split and probably a lot of whining and abuse. :lol:

I don't think I'd be real crazy about poking around on the bike rack, but I have seen a somewhat similar idea used. This was a combination lock that in addition to having a regular shackle to lock something in place it also has a key compartment to "hide" a physical key which could open another lock or a door. The combination to the key hide was available by solving a fairly easy puzzle. The lock itself is attached to a chainlink fence along with about 15 other locks of different sorts. The first time I went to it I had the correct combination, but I didn't understand how to open the trap door for the key, in this case the home of the logbook. Second trip, after a certain bit of web searching I had the thing solved. The combination for the shackle is different from the combo for the trap door, so the thing is securely on its fence. Something like that might do well with your modified lock. And yes, it's in a busy location, so looking like you are supposed to be trying all the locks really helps.

Simply my two cents, but even if you locked it to an ammo can and hid it in the woods, it would still be listed as a micro in the woods, and some people prefer to just ignore those. Not saying it's a bad idea, just saying.

If someone wants to categorically ignore a cache there isn't anything you can do about it, and it's really their loss if it happens to be an interesting cache. A micro in the woods *can* be difficult to find. A micro chain linked to an ammo can is likely going to be easier.

I like the idea of using the lock in the woods on an ammo can. Or use the lock on something where a lock would not be expected- like perhaps on a chain on a fence post that doesn't really LOCK anything and it should be in a place like a park and where it is out of the public eye.

I would definitely pass on your apt bike rack- Dude! a fellow could get SHOT foolin' with a dude's w'eels.

Sounds cool. Your biggest problem was asking for everyone's opinion. Just go plant the cache if you have proper permission and follow caching guidelines. Asking for opinions here will get you nothing but a 50-50 split and probably a lot of whining and abuse. :)
I absolutely agree.

The best way to decide whether a cache would be a good one is to determine whether you would like finding it.

So obviously - you have to list it as a micro.

Not necessarily. If I were hiding this, I would select either "Not Listed" or "Other" for size. Especially if it's going to be attached to something like a cement-filled ammo can.

Uh huh! :)

As far as finding the cache as you first laid it out, i can see where it might cause some concern for some bike owners who might happen to see a person looking for the cache. Still, i doubt if it would be a problem since the finders actions can be explained. Just make sure you get that apartment owner or manager's permission.

The ammobox/cement idea sounds even better. It might be worth the money to just buy a good lock that stays secure and then somehow hollow part of it out for log storage. B)

Ooooops,, almost identical post. Darn laptop touchpad!

Edited by Mudfrog

So obviously - you have to list it as a micro.

Not necessarily. If I were hiding this, I would select either "Not Listed" or "Other" for size. Especially if it's going to be attached to something like a cement-filled ammo can.

Uh huh! :D

As far as finding the cache as you first laid it out, i can see where it might cause some concern for some bike owners who might happen to see a person looking for the cache. Still, i doubt if it would be a problem since the finders actions can be explained. Just make sure you get that apartment owner or manager's permission.

The ammobox/cement idea sounds even better. It might be worth the money to just buy a good lock that stays secure and then somehow hollow part of it out for log storage. :D

Ooooops,, almost identical post. Darn laptop touchpad!

Oh, I disagree. I'd have loved to find this cache--but I wanted to know what other people thought, and it turns out there are better ways to do it.

Not sure where I saw it but...

I saw a picture of a cache that was in the water bottle of an old bike loked up to a bike rack. Could have been in Pictures - Cool Cache Containers.

That would have been my cache, now archived.

Here's the photo where you can see the cache if you know what you are looking for...

4eceaba3-53bf-41d7-b244-6cc6fedd401e.jpg

and here is the close up.

0260cb2b-7abb-48e8-bcdf-42b6cadc7ab3.jpg

The cache was a 1 liter water bottle that was cable tied to the bike, so it clearly was usable as a water bottle. It was brightly colored with the Groundspeak colors and had a typed label on it, facing up that said www.geocaching.com

The original cache was 80 Feet of Waterline, Nicely Making Way which was a hard puzzle. Before I archived it I turned it into a traditional 79 Feet of Waterline, Nicely Making Way just so non-puzzle solvers could have their fun.

And yes, I went through 2 bikes and 2 locks there!

Paul

PS: And to those who say you have to find some before hiding, this was my second hide and I think I only had about 20 finds at the time, but that's another topic.

Not sure where I saw it but...

I saw a picture of a cache that was in the water bottle of an old bike loked up to a bike rack. Could have been in Pictures - Cool Cache Containers.

That would have been my cache, now archived.

Here's the photo where you can see the cache if you know what you are looking for...

4eceaba3-53bf-41d7-b244-6cc6fedd401e.jpg

and here is the close up.

0260cb2b-7abb-48e8-bcdf-42b6cadc7ab3.jpg

The cache was a 1 liter water bottle that was cable tied to the bike, so it clearly was usable as a water bottle. It was brightly colored with the Groundspeak colors and had a typed label on it, facing up that said www.geocaching.com

The original cache was 80 Feet of Waterline, Nicely Making Way which was a hard puzzle. Before I archived it I turned it into a traditional 79 Feet of Waterline, Nicely Making Way just so non-puzzle solvers could have their fun.

And yes, I went through 2 bikes and 2 locks there!

Paul

PS: And to those who say you have to find some before hiding, this was my second hide and I think I only had about 20 finds at the time, but that's another topic.

i would have passed on that one. Sorry, I would not feel right fooling around by somebody's personal property like that, especially property that is often stolen.

"I went through 2 bikes and 2 locks there!," tells me that thefts were common. i am not a bicycle thief and i don't care to look like one.

"I went through 2 bikes and 2 locks there!," tells me that thefts were common. i am not a bicycle thief and i don't care to look like one.
I did not have the MIT sticker on either bike and Facilities removed them, bikes get abandoned on campus all the time.

Sadly, once I placed the cache I moved about 50 miles away (instead of 5 miles) and maintenance was a problem. I was thinking of archiving it then but I got such positive comments on it that I decided not to. Once construction on the site started, however, I had no option but to pull it. Bike parking had been plentiful and it became scarce, I didn't want to take a spot from a real bike commuter.

And ironically, I start a new job in a week or so about a mile from that location!

I think turning a lock into a cache is a pretty neat idea. Not sure if the bike rack is the best place for it, but that's gotta be your descision, as it would be your cache. I think those who did find it would enjoy the extra bit of creativity you put into building the cache out of materials on hand, but I also think their enjoyment would be enhanced if you placed the same cache in a more aestitic location. Just my $0.02.

To address the other side of your question; No, I probably wouldn't hunt for it. Not out of any particular dislike for that specific cache, but because I'm thinking, based upon your description, that you'd list it as a micro, and those are automatically excluded from my PQ's. If you listed it as "Container Size Not Chosen", it would show up, and I'd be one of the first to go look for it.

Good luck!

-Sean

It's a cool idea for a container but a very poor idea for the location. I hate doing caches that make you snoop in places that will draw immediate suspicion. It makes both the cachers and the residents feel uneasy. Also an apartment complex is a blah place to visit even without the issues of snooping around the apartment complex.

Edited by TrailGators