Sumer Is Icumen In

muttoneer

Hello all,

I would like to show you my new geocoin, which is based on the song Sumer Is Icumen In. This is the oldest surviving song in the English language and is found in a manuscript from the 13th century from Reading Abbey, along with a religious piece to the same tune. The song is sung in the round and is an encouragement to the cuckoo to sing and usher in the good weather of the summer!

The full text of the song and an image of the manuscript can be found on wikipedia.

I have designed the coin to have a medieval feel to it. The front of the coin shows a geocacher kneeling to retrieve a cache beneath a manuscript-style tree, in which the cuckoo is singing. Also shown are the first two lines of the song, which translate roughly as "Summer is coming, loudly sings the cuckoo."

The back of the coin shows the cuckoo in full song, in front of a circle of oak leaves (a traditional symbol of the summer) within a maypole design. The tracking text and number are on the rim of the coin, so as not to interfere with the design.

sumercoins.jpg

Only 100 of these will ever be made.

They are mostly in antique bronze though I do have a small number of polished gold coins at the same price. In the above photo the gold coins are on the left and the bronze ones on the right.

They are trackable at geocaching.com but do not have their own icon.

For UK buyers they cost £7.50 per coin including postage and packing. The cost to non-UK buyers will be slightly higher to cover increased postage costs - I will send the coins by Royal Mail Airsure, which is registered post. I offer a discount if you want to buy more than one, as postage costs will be cheaper.

If you would like to get one or more of these coins, please contact me by private message with the number and type of coins that you would like, your email address and what country you live in. I can then send you a Paypal invoice.

Thanks for looking,

M.

Edited by muttoneer

Thank you for the nice comments!

I'm sorry that the coin is comparatively expensive for American cachers to buy. The postal costs do not help matters either - it is roughly $10 to post the coin by registered airmail. If anyone in the US would like to order a coin to be sent to them by ordinary airmail (just over $3) I will happily send them to you, but I will accept no responsibility if the coin goes missing in the post.

Edited by muttoneer

Hello all,

I would like to show you my new geocoin, which is based on the song Sumer Is Icumen In ...

I just might have to spring for this one, because it tugs at a memory. I sang in a madrigal group at San Antonio College (TX) during my first two years of college, and we sang both the secular and religious lyrics of this song. I loved it when we sang our old music in the chapels of the missions -- the acoustics were just amazing.

Thanks for the memory! I'll see if I can squeeze out the funds and write you off-site.

Happy Trails,

Candy