Current WV Geocaching Organizations?

WVKiwi

Are there any current West Virginia geocaching groups?

I've done several web searches and have found links to a couple supposed WV groups, but none of the websites seem to work anymore, and I'm left wondering is there such a group in active existence anymore?

Living over in the eastern panhandle, I'm aware of MGS and NoVAGO (for MD and VA respectively), but does any similiar society/organization/group exist for cachers in West Virginia??

Or am I just missing that information somewhere?

Edited by WVKiwi

Are there any current West Virginia geocaching groups?

I've done several web searches and have found links to a couple supposed WV groups, but none of the websites seem to work anymore, and I'm left wondering is there such a group in active existence anymore?

Living over in the eastern panhandle, I'm aware of MGS and NoVAGO (for MD and VA respectively), but does any similiar society/organization/group exist for cachers in West Virginia??

Or am I just missing that information somewhere?

I have often wondered the same thing, WVKiwi. We have a lot of active cachers in the area, so I think there would certainly be interest if one were so inclined to start one......

I would be interested in seeing some more geocaching groups in WV. We are too far away to join in the meetings for MAGPI. I am not sure about the Eastern Panhandle Group. We live in Mathias, which is in Hardy County. We have attended the Fall gathering of the MGS, but would really like to join a WV group instead of a MD group.

You're in luck and we actually need your help!!

The WV Department of Education and the Arts in partnership with the WV Department of Tourism is actually in the process of putting together ExploreWV. This new collaboration will organize various Geocaching challenges throughout the state, offering a unique and adventurous way to see our beautiful Mountain State.

Our first official activity is the ExploreWV Geocoin Challenge, set to launch in late September. The challenge will take cachers all over the state to find caches relating to West Virginia history, our museums, and some of our tourism hotspots before finally landing on Capitol grounds with a grand multi-cache at the new West Virginia State Museum in Charleston. The first 250 people to complete the challenge will receive a high-quality ExploreWV Geocoin.

To get the ExploreWV Geocoin Challenge started, we need your help. We are asking seasoned hiders in West Virginia and surrounding states to assist with cache placement. We will be having a conference call next week and all those interested in cache placement are encouraged to call. At the conference, details will be given and any questions or concerns will be answered.

If you are interested in volunteering to place a cache, please email Robin Taylor (WV Department of Education and the Arts) at Robin.J.Taylor@wv.gov by MONDAY, JULY 26th. Emailing Robin is the ONLY way you will be able to receive the date and time for the conference call, so SERIOUS INQUIRIES ONLY!

For the OP, there's nothing stopping you from participating with NoVaGO or the MD Geocachers. When I lived in Maryland (greater DC) I went to NoVaGO events and it was awesome!

If you're trying to find additional members, I might get in touch with NoVaGO or the MGS to see how many of their members are from the EP and you might get lucky there. I frequently ran into EP cachers out in VA and MD.