Help me decide on my first GPS

I'd like to surprise my husband with a GPS for his birthday. We need it to serve several purposes:

1) Geocaching

2) Hunting/camping/exploring the backroads in the Jeep

3) Navigating while driving

2 is the primary reason I'm getting it for him but I'm so excited about getting into geocaching once we get it!!

I've been trying to sort it all out on line and so far have it narrowed down to 3 (I think)

Any feedback you can give me would be great!!

Here's the Magellan CrossoverGPS:

http://www.magellangps.com/products/product.asp?segID=391

And the Garmin eTrex Vista HCx:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=8703

Just found this one on Cabelas--it has hunting specific software available.

http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products/Automotive/XOG/

Thanks!

Rachel

Welcome to the Forums! :o

I would not go with Magellan because of the complaints about their terrible customer service.

I have the Vista HCx with the City Navigator auto-routing maps installed. I like that GPSr a lot, and the Garmin maps are excellent for auto-routing. I paid less than $230 more than six months ago for my Vista HCx from TheNerds.net and the price has probably gone down since then. Amazon also has good prices for that model.

The people in these Forums who have Lowrance units recommend them, but there are many, many more Garmin owners than Lowrance owners.

While I fully agree with Miragee's suggestion of an eTrex Vista HCx (or eTrex Venture HCx), I might suggest something crazy: 2 GPS devices. The Maps you need to but to enable auto-routing on the eTrex are almost the same price as buying a Garmin Nuvi 200. So, get the eTrex for the Geocaching and offroad driving, and the Nuvi for around town!

--Bill

I bought a Crossover thinking it would be the perfect multi purpose GPS. It's great for street navigation butthe topo maps are inferior and it's not waterproof. Magellan has not made topo maps availble to upgrade it so basically it's a good navigational unit that has light topo.

I also have a couple of Garmin handhelds - a Rino and a Colorado. I love them both. I bought the City Navigator on SD and it has more accurate street data than the Crossover. They do not have voice navigation though.

The Colorado is amazing. It does it all. Easy to operate.

While I fully agree with Miragee's suggestion of an eTrex Vista HCx (or eTrex Venture HCx), I might suggest something crazy: 2 GPS devices. The Maps you need to but to enable auto-routing on the eTrex are almost the same price as buying a Garmin Nuvi 200. So, get the eTrex for the Geocaching and offroad driving, and the Nuvi for around town!

--Bill

I agree with the second part, having a dedicated unit for the car is a good idea, especially at the prices they're asking these days.

However, Garmin doesn't make a Venture HCx that I can find. They make a Venture HC, but it only has 24MB of RAM, and that's just too limiting considering the difference in price between that unit and the Legend HCx.

Edited by CheshireFrog

However, Garmin doesn't make a Venture HCx that I can find. They make a Venture HC, but it only has 24MB of RAM, and that's just too limiting considering the difference in price between that unit and the Legend HCx.

That's all a matter of opinion, user requirements, and budget. They are all great units, and they are all well and truly worth their respective asking prices. You can compare them side-by-side here, including recommended pricing (you can get better pricing if you shop around, but the relativity of pricing should be maintained wherever you go - if not, you are being ripped off!):

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=...areProduct=8703

Q: Which is the "best" eTrex?

A: Unquestionably, the Vista HCx.

Q: Is it good value?

A: Absolutely!

Q: Will I ever regret paying a bit more for the Vista HCx?

A: No. (As long as you still have enough money left over at the end of the week to buy food and pay your bills!)

Q: But what if I don't have $321 (yes, I know, I know - you can buy cheaper if you shop at GPS'R'Us, or wherever - substitute the best price you can find here) to spend - what should I buy then?

A: That depends - what features do you NEED, and which would you LIKE?

If you are on a budget - don't forget the price of the maps. These are not cheap, and unless you plan to buy maps to go with your eTrex, you might as well save a heap of money, and just buy the basic yellow eTrex HC.

If you want expandable memory for maps, you have to get one of the HCx units. 24 MB memory in the HC units will limit the area of maps you can load at a time - should be enough for your local region and maybe one or two other regions. (The area you can fit in 24 MB varies enormously, depending on the "density" of streets and other features, but you should be able to get a couple of areas, each one or two hundred km radius say.) If you want to get several US states or several European countries in at a time, and downloading new map sets from a laptop every couple of days when you travel is an issue, then you will want to buy a memory card, and that means you need an HCx. If you can live with limited maps at any time, and don't mind loading new map sets every time you travel, then one of the cheaper HC models might do fine.

If you want a compass and an altimeter, the you have to get a Summit HC or a Vista HCx.

If you can get a Vista HCx ($321 RRP) for say $50 more than a Venture HC ($182 RRP), then it is a no-brainer - buy the Vista HCx! But if the price differential is more substantial, then only the buyer can decide whether the additional features justify the price difference.

What is a lot trickier is coming up with a good solid recommendation between units that appear to have very similar "core" functionality - e.g. the 60CSx versus the Vista HCx versus the Colorado 300. Now the trade-off seems to be more a matter of ergonomics and user preferences, rather than any hard technical superiority.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=...pareProduct=310

Hope this helps!

Edited by julianh

I would highly recommend researching the Garmin 60csx for your needs. It is great for auto navigation with routing, holds topo maps for backwoods and highly sensitive receiver for geocaching in the woods where reception will be lost in cheaper models. The price has been dropping quickly due to the release of the colorado. my two cents...

--Bill

I agree with the second part, having a dedicated unit for the car is a good idea, especially at the prices they're asking these days.

Woops! Sorry, I meand Legend HCx. One was laying two feet away from me when I typed that too :lol:

--Bill

Not on your list but that which may be a very good, if not the best, choice for back country, 4WD exploring is this:

http://www.delorme.com/retailmatch/

Note that the $300 price includes the handheld GPSr and the DeLorme Topo maps for the US. There is a strong consensus that the DeLorme Topo maps are superior to all others for back country applications. A search on DeLorme herein will yield links to side-by-side comparisons of topographic maps from DeLorme and other brands.

My needs matched yours exactly. I bought a 60csx and I bought a Crossover for my son (he's more into the city navigation). Garmin is soooo easy to figure out. I can plot my JEEP excursions on maps with little problem. I also got into geocaching, the Garmin is so much easier to load caches onto. I spent 3 days trying to load caches onto the Magellan, and it doesn't do near as good of job as the Garmin. I haven't messed with it for several months, and I'll have to relearn everything I did. Of course if thats the only unit you have you'll play with it more, but for me it just isn't as user friendly. Nowhere near actually. I don't have City Navigator yet, but you can auto route with it. Very happy with the 60csx. If you're like me and not very computor savvy to begin with, you'll be up and running with the Garmin in no time. You'll enjoy working with the Garmin and you'll amaze yourself-I'm already into the paperless caching, having gotten a Palm, I feel like a computer geek! Lots of good info here, research, research, research. Good luck. My .02 cents worth.

Edited by jpwrangler

Not on your list but that which may be a very good, if not the best, choice for back country, 4WD exploring is this:

http://www.delorme.com/retailmatch/

Note that the $300 price includes the handheld GPSr and the DeLorme Topo maps for the US. There is a strong consensus that the DeLorme Topo maps are superior to all others for back country applications. A search on DeLorme herein will yield links to side-by-side comparisons of topographic maps from DeLorme and other brands.

The PN-20 can't be beat for geocaching, hiking, off road and other similar type activities. It works for road use but not as good as a dedicated road unit.

I'd like to surprise my husband with a GPS for his birthday. We need it to serve several purposes:

1) Geocaching

2) Hunting/camping/exploring the backroads in the Jeep

3) Navigating while driving

2 is the primary reason I'm getting it for him but I'm so excited about getting into geocaching once we get it!!

Rachel

It is a little surprising how many different GPS units are available. As a fellow NooB I can assure you that there are as many opinions on which device is best as there are different GPSs. I checked into Bushnell/PSP/PPC/DeLorme/Garmin/Magellan etal and they all had nice strengths/limits. Following is a copied insert from a previous post I made a few weeks ago when investigating for my first GPS:

1) Garmin is the leader

2) DeLorme has the best maps

3) Magellan is good on paper, bad in practice

4) Every manufacturer wants continuing revenue from maps specific for their brand.

Initially I was under the false hope that GPS devices would seamlessly accept Google Earth images or Google Maps downloads.”

I wanted “drag and drop” map and route capability. (Still haven’t found that :lol: )

The point to be made (other than the obvious one that what is best for someone else is probably not best for your application) is that the maps are device specific. Since DeLorme seems to have the best maps perhaps a PN-20 is in your future. If you want weather radio overlays and hunting is a priority Bushnell has an interesting GPS. I already had a Pocket PC so for minimal cost, that was an option.

For me the deciding factors were current and future capabilities. Since the Colorado (bleeding edge do-it-all capabilities) was made by Garmin (leader so 3rd party support seems plentiful e.g. some free public domain maps) I ended up with one of those. But they are a bit pricey for a B-day gift.

You lucked out in finding this forum. The people on it were very helpful and the information available is extensive (overwhelmingly so).

Bottom line: Just like picking out a new pet animal, it may be better to just get a Gift Certificate so you and your significant other can make the decision jointly. Alternatively if you have an REI nearby maybe get one there (they have a heck-of-a return policy).

Whichever route you take, have a Gr808 – CrazyViking

Another vote for the Vista HCx, I sold my less then year old Vista Cx and got the HCx in January. I must have hit a special sale weekend because I paid $212 free shipping from thenerds.net and haven't seen it that cheap again.

Anyway, I am really happy with the sensitivity as compared to the Cx, it even keeps a signal walking through a tunnel. I think the Colorado is too buggy at this point to pay those $$$ for and if it's something you decide in the future you can always try to sell yours here and upgrade.

Two of the three activities you list involve driving in a vehicle. If this a serious and regular part of your planned GPS usage then buy something with at least a 5 inch display, preferrably an 8 inch. Handheld units mounted on the dash with sucker cup mounts are difficult to read and change setting on while a vehicle is in motion. If for no other reason than safety and peace of mind while driving - get something that can actually be used while driving. Your husband will soon see the wisdom in your choice.

Two of the three activities you list involve driving in a vehicle. If this a serious and regular part of your planned GPS usage then buy something with at least a 5 inch display, preferrably an 8 inch. Handheld units mounted on the dash with sucker cup mounts are difficult to read and change setting on while a vehicle is in motion. If for no other reason than safety and peace of mind while driving - get something that can actually be used while driving. Your husband will soon see the wisdom in your choice.

This is correct regarding your third requirement: navigating while driving. However, while the item referred to immediately above is quite suited for that function, those types are essentially useless for your numbers one and two requirements. Although two and three are in-car usages, the functional requirements are extremely different. There is very little functional overlap between those that you put on your windshield for city navigation to the next Big Mac and the handhelds that one uses for 4WD'g or backpacking in back country environments.

I am fortunate enough to have both:

1. A DeLorme handheld PN-20 GPSr with its best-in-class topo maps for my back country, 4WD sightseeing and touring expeditions; and both in and out of town geocaching, and

2. An OEM, factory installed, in-dash NAV/GPS unit with a 3" x 5" screen in my Jeep GC which is great for turn-by-turn voice guidance in unfamiliar suburban areas but useless for geocaching (if I could get it out of the dash) and totally useless for back country navigation.

Outside of that, I'll never be without one of each type in the future. :)

Edited by Team CowboyPapa

Hi Team CowboyPapa

My primary reason for suggesting a bigger unit is driver safety.

I have a Lowrance 5200c bolted to the dash with topo maps so I can do all three. The topos work just as well for basic city naviagtion without the features of turn by turn directions. It is a compromise I can accept because my main focus is on back country travel.

For a back woods hiking a hand held is really the only choice.

Hi Team CowboyPapa

My primary reason for suggesting a bigger unit is driver safety.

I have a Lowrance 5200c bolted to the dash with topo maps so I can do all three. The topos work just as well for basic city naviagtion without the features of turn by turn directions. It is a compromise I can accept because my main focus is on back country travel.

For a back woods hiking a hand held is really the only choice.

Roger that & BIG 10-4!

As good as my DeLorme is for off-highway, I just don't want to look at that size screen while going down an interstate in an urban area during drive time. I just do not consider it safe.

Wow! You guys are fantastic!! I've spent the last couple of days researching all the info you have given me and here's where I am right now:

I'm leaning towards the Garmin Vista HCx because of price (bundle w/ topo, case & sdcard $350) and it appears to be user friendly for a first time user. I also like that Garmin has been around and is so well known and sounds like they have good customer service and support. Garmin also appears to have an extra long battery life which I would think would be critical but maybe it isn't as big a deal in the big picture as I'm thinking.

Our primary uses are going to be hiking/geocaching and backroading. Highway navigation will merely be a bonus so if we get one and decide that we would really like something for standard driving, I think we can and would want to just pick up an additional unit more specific to that purpose.

A couple of questions, however:

On the Garmin, how close and detailed do the topo maps get? For geocaching, for example, how accurate is it? Which additional maps will I need to purchase?

Garmin has compass, DeLorme doesn't. How critical is that feature (as a rookie, it seems like that would be a big deal but maybe not?)

If the maps on the DeLorme are far superior, which for the all inclusive price isn't that much more, how difficult is it to learn to use? (kept coming across this issue in reviews) How is the customer support?

Our primary uses are going to be geocaching and backroading. Highway navigation will merely be a bonus so if we get one and decide that we would really like something for standard driving, I think we can and would want to just pick up an additional unit more specific to that purpose.

Thanks again for all your help! I can't wait to get started and get back to you guys and learn all about geocaching!!

Rachel

Edited by SunamGeo

Quite honestly, you really don't need any maps on your GPS to geocache. They are nice, but not required. Garmin says their Topo US 2008 has similar detail to USGS 1:100,000 maps. I'd say that's about right. For hiking, the detail of 1:24,000 scale maps would be nice to have. There is a effort going on now to get those detailed topo maps on the Garmin, and for free. See the following link and posts on this forum:

http://www.miscjunk.org/mj/mp_main.html

As for the compass, I'll guess, as I am not a big geocacher. When you are hunting for a cache using the GPS's compass screen, I think it will be very useful. On a non-compass equipped GPS, it can only determine your orientation while you move, so if you just spin, the "compass" screen won't change. With the internal compass, it will continue to point in the proper direction.

--Bill

Allow me to address a few of the questions above:

1. For back country, 4WD exploring, I've been using printed, carry-along DeLorme maps long before GPSr units had map displays or decent map representations. Once I was used to the best on paper, I was going to second choice on a hand held.

2. For (sub)urban geocaching, maps and compasses are incidental. I've never failed to find a geocache due to a lack of either. For example, on several occaisons I've returned to a site for a second or third time, but this time with my 7 year old grandson. I looked at my PN-20 and said: "Somewhere around here." In short order he found it without looking at a map or a compass (I do carry a separate compass, just don't use it).

3. Good topo maps can be quite useful for back country geocaching. Without them a compass might send one up and over and then down a substantial hill where it would be easier to go around in a less direct route.

4. Yes, I've seen a number of disappointments expressed by beginners over on the DeLorme regarding ease of usability. If you intend to quit geocaching after 10 finds, you might be wise to heed these comments. For those after their 300th find, does it still concern them? Frequently, the reverse is true for many products based on the "human facotrs" design considerations. Some that are trickier at first require less monkey motion when you get to know them.

5. I have no personal experience with Garmin's customer support. Most herein give it very positive reports and I accept that. I do have direct experience with DeLorme's and have found nothing lacking. Perusal of DeLorme's forum will reveal similar in a strong consensus.

Edited by Team CowboyPapa

Between Garmin and DeLorme topos, the biggest difference in what you see on the GPS will be the contour line detail. Garmin is generally similar to 100k topos (depending on area 150’ intervals) and DeLorme is similar to 24k topos (at normal detail 20 ft intervals). Other posts on this forum say that Garmin Topo 2008 road locations are off by a few hundred feet in some areas. I use mine for hiking, so don’t look at the roads that much and have not noticed.

The current pn-20 bundle ‘March Madness’ price is $300. The DeLorme Topo 7 software has quite a few more features than Garmin MapSource so it does take some more time to learn…how much is hard to define…a few days?

DeLorme customer support is great. In addition to very responsive customer service, they have a user forum with active participation by DeLorme staff.