7 char waypoints in a older gps?

GeePierceS

Welcome to the Forums! :o

If you use a program like GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife), you can designate a "smart name" for the waypoint to give you the first few letters of the cache name and the cache Type.

On my Vista HCx, it can have 14 characters in the Waypoint and the "smart name" codes I use give me part of the Name, the Size of the container, the Type of cache (Traditional, Multi, Virtual, Puzzle), the Difficulty and Terrain (based on a 10-point scale). ;)

I have a geko 201, which only supports 6 char waypoint names. what do folks do to enter 7 char waypoint names, leave out the C in GCxxxxx ?

Since your GPS only supports 6 characters you can use GSAK to chop off the GC by entering "%drop2" for the waypoint name. Edited by TrailGators
I have a geko 201, which only supports 6 char waypoint names. what do folks do to enter 7 char waypoint names, leave out the C in GCxxxxx ?

Since your GPS only supports 6 characters you can use GSAK to chop off the GC by entering "%drop2" for the waypoint name.

I also use GSAK to change the waypoint name from GC to FC (Found Cache) or EC (Everone's Found). By doing this I have a list of caches that I know are unfound (GC) Found by Me (FC) or found by my wife daughter and myself (EC).

ah. for now, I've been manually entering waypoints with the 3 buttons (UGH!) but I have the serial cable and garmin waypoint mangler on order...

Once I get that, it will be a lot easier to manage the silly little thing.

Trust me. You'll never look back and wonder how you ever survived without it! :unsure: