What's the purpose of announcing so early?

Kealia

The announcement of the lighthouse coin in another thread made me wonder, as I have been for a while now:

What's the purpose of announcing a coin 4 weeks before it's available to buy?

I mean without pricing information, a pre-sale, etc. why do this?

While this thread is a direct result of the recent announcement, it's by no means directed entirely at that person/coin sale.

I would think that with so many coins coming out and people tryhing to keep track of them, it would be best to announce when they are available so they can be bought and the deal closed ASAP.

Is it an attempt to try and generate a buzz or excitement for the coin? Or is it BECAUSE so many coins are coming out that the sellers are hoping that people will budget and put money away for them knowing that they are coming?

Inquiring minds want to know.......

I just bet it's both : "Is it an attempt to try and generate a buzz or excitement for the coin? Or is it BECAUSE so many coins are coming out that the sellers are hoping that people will budget and put money away for them knowing that they are coming?" :o

Nice to see your name again in these here forums:D

As I can only speak for myself..Iam happy the company picked up my design and worked it out with the mint for the hinge. Its away also to make sure your coin sells before someone else mints the same coin. I had a problem before with a coin. I had my design in for 3 months,then when ready to mint someone else did the coin. Their coin was a rush to mint and didnt come out as nice,I was hurt. I guess it is like putting a claim on that idea.

As I can only speak for myself..Iam happy the company picked up my design and worked it out with the mint for the hinge. Its away also to make sure your coin sells before someone else mints the same coin. I had a problem before with a coin. I had my design in for 3 months,then when ready to mint someone else did the coin. Their coin was a rush to mint and didnt come out as nice,I was hurt. I guess it is like putting a claim on that idea.

Thanks for the posts so far - this hadn't occured to me at first thought but I know there have been issues in the past with:

1) People stealing ideas and rushing to mint/sell, and

2) People having the same ideas near the same time

I guess it is like putting a claim on that idea.

That was my first thought as well. I've heard a few stories where duplicate ideas came out around the same time. Some seemingly just by coincidence, others not so innocently.

But then again...the first to make a public announcement may not always be the original idea...

Is it an attempt to try and generate a buzz or excitement for the coin

This is somewhat the case, I also think it is done (this is the reason I do it) to stake out a claim on an idea. I have seen many times when two coins come out and they are similar in concept... in recent memory the two mermaid coins for instance.

Or the other reason is, people like it when others Oooo and Aaaagh at their coins. :o

I've started the process of having my first coin made with the fine folks at Landsharkz. I'm really looking forward to getting to work on the artwork (or should I say, having them make something artistic of my scribbles). I'll probably post as soon as get the art back and am satisfied with it, but it will mostly be to show off :o

And just a warning, Helen. I've already got plans for a second coin -- something completely different!

Personally I find the trend very annoying and over commercialization of a friendly area. All the more reason to break the Geocoin forums into two groups and allow sales in a seperate one. Seems as if daily you have to wade through the sales, presales, announcements, pre announcements, ideas, pre ideas, etc and pre etcs.

I've started the process of having my first coin made with the fine folks at Landsharkz. I'm really looking forward to getting to work on the artwork (or should I say, having them make something artistic of my scribbles). I'll probably post as soon as get the art back and am satisfied with it, but it will mostly be to show off :o

And just a warning, Helen. I've already got plans for a second coin -- something completely different!

I can think of a third reason I haven't seen quite mentioned and that is:

Someone is all ready to go with a coin and the mint screws up and a delay happens.

I like seeing sneak peeks of coins, I don't however, like pre-sales where people are taking my money well in advance.

I agree with Pghlooking but what really becomes frustrating is when someone starts a thread about a new geocoin coming out and doesn't update the thread. I know of one particular individual that starts new threads about upcoming geocoins and than doesn't update the thread. It becomes a shot in the dark to catch the sale date if you don't sit in the forums every day.

I remember when I submitted my Chrisgun v1 geocoin plans to a minter.... and got a date for when they'd be ready. They were only for trade, so I wasn't trying to get a feel for interest, and I wasn't hoping for people to add my coin to their budget. I was just so darn excited to be able to share it with everybody.... that I posted as early as I could. I probably would have burst if I hadn't told everybody in the forums about it. None of my friends understand my obsession...er, condition... hm... my passion.....

I guess I see all sides of this question. I do like seeing the designs before the coin comes out simply to just spark my interest. However, i'm going to be just as interested if the design isn't posted until the day of the sale. I understand why people want to post their idea first to "claim" it so no one else can come out with the same coin. I've often wondered what happens if I start a coin and because no one knows i'm starting it, mid way through the minting someone else brings out a similiar coin.

However, I do agree the sales, presales, what do you think, what don't you think topics are taking over the forums. Maybe as a solution we could have one pinned topic: Coins: Unrevealed (for the sampling and art work of new coins coming out) and another pinned topic: Coins: Presales, Sales, etc.

Then those would be the two areas that people would post their coins, comments on the coins, etc.

Just my thoughts :o

Pre-announcment:

I know you all know this, but in case someone new stops by to read this, you may only do this kind of pre-announcing, for geocoins you want to sell these forums, when they are trackable on geocaching.com.

Thank you.

And now back to our show.....

Edited by Eartha
*snip* you may only do this kind of pre-announcing, for geocoins you want to sell these forums, when they are trackable on geocaching.com. *snip*

Question for Eartha: Can one announce (or pre-announce) a non-trackable if it is absolutely NOT for sale in any way, shape or form? Just an announcement of ones new trade-only sig item coin? Thanks, :o

CF30

Edited by Crowesfeat30

Pre-announcment:

I know you all know this, but in case someone new stops by to read this, you may only do this kind of pre-announcing, for geocoins you want to sell these forums, when they are trackable on geocaching.com.

Thank you.

Are you telling us that if we have a geocaching.com trackable coin.... and it's for TRADE rather than for SALE, we can't announce early?????? Did I go against Groundspeak's policy by announcing early??

I really would have burst. No doubt about it.... :o

I think people do it for a number of different reasons implicit or not.

Personal experience when new: being excited the biggest reason, advertisement, creating a buzz, get the idea out in case someone else was working on the same thing, etc. I can understand why others do it.

Personally and for reasons kept to myself for the time being, I don't advertise here on the forums first unless someone else posts the sale as in the case of the mermaids.

Yet had PSU Fan or myself come out and stated we were working on mermaids, there wouldn't be two so close together. I've backed off several designs after talking with buddies, so there wouldn't be two of the same themed coins.

So I think there are benefits to posting early but with so many coins coming out, threads seem to get buried fast, many times by the end of the day. My only issue with it is when information is put out so early, I forget to check threads or what design I liked was in what thread, so I have missed coins because something wasn't updated or took so long, delays, etc. That gets annoying but it's part of the 'deal' I guess.

Now a couple people talked about budgeting for coins, that was a good one! Come on be honest, how many of you here actually stick to your shiny, round object budget, lol? Which makes me ponder other 'taboo' type questions that I'll keep under my hat for the time being :o

In the end if you're happy, then I'm happy for you ;)

edit for spelling

Edited by tsunrisebey

Edit for brevity

So I think there are benefits to posting early but with so many coins coming out, threads seem to get buried fast, many times by the end of the day. My only issue with it is when information is put out so early, I forget to check threads or what design I liked was in what thread, so I have missed coins because something wasn't updated or took so long, delays, etc. That gets annoying but it's part of the 'deal' I guess.

Edit for brevity

I agree with this the most. I know I've missed a lot of coin sales because of the thread going dead for SO long. There are so many coins slamming the boards, it's hard to keep up. I wish when the threads popped, the coins were for sale. Right then and there. It USED to be that way :o hahahaha

TMA

Pre-announcment:

Thank you.

Are you telling us that if we have a geocaching.com trackable coin.... and it's for TRADE rather than for SALE, we can't announce early?????? Did I go against Groundspeak's policy by announcing early??

No--IF the coin is for sale, you can only post it if it's a trackable coin. You're not allowed to sell nontrackable coins on the forums. ;)

Pre-announcment:

Thank you.

No--IF the coin is for sale, you can only post it if it's a trackable coin. You're not allowed to sell nontrackable coins on the forums. ;)

Trade only coins can be posted... with or with out geocaching.com tracking.

While I do like hearing about coins in advance, unless the designer is requesting input on the design of the coin itself, I'd prefer to NOT hear about it until a week or two before the coin is headed to sale (or pre-sale, whatever point where a coin can be had/reserved)

Anything beyond a week or two, I'll either forget to keep track of the coin, or the thread gets buried until well after the sale date has passed.

For coins where I'm pretty sure they will sell out in the first day or two, I try and add a calendar entry on my computer (synched with my iPhone, natch! ;) ) to nag me when the sale is about to start.

Other than that, just a matter of stalking the geoswag pre-sale page on a regular basis! :o

Edit for brevity

Edit for brevity

Edited for brevity

I wish when the threads popped, the coins were for sale. Right then and there. It USED to be that way :D hahahaha

Edited for brevity

Ahhhh the good old days...... ;):o

I'm out and proud...I just take longer about it than most :D

But there are many who complain about coins that pop up (say in a coin tracking website), get sold in minutes, and are monstrously hard to trade for. At least my way, people are gently led up to the date, hopefully with money in eager hands, and have a better cance of getting one or two :D

Whih reminds me.....time for a Boomerang update ;)

That is a very, very good point you make!

Plus I know a lot of people do it because they are excited to be having a coin being minted. I suspect this is the main reason for most advance announcements.

I too like hearing about whats coming up - in advance. I hate the shock of getting an email about something just having gone on sale and then having to think whether I have enough money on the VISA or not :o

Edit for brevity

Edit for brevity

Edited for brevity

I wish when the threads popped, the coins were for sale. Right then and there. It USED to be that way :D hahahaha

Edited for brevity

Ahhhh the good old days...... ;):o

I'm out and proud...I just take longer about it than most :D

But there are many who complain about coins that pop up (say in a coin tracking website), get sold in minutes, and are monstrously hard to trade for. At least my way, people are gently led up to the date, hopefully with money in eager hands, and have a better cance of getting one or two :)

Whih reminds me.....time for a Boomerang update ;)

LOL.... and it doesn't matter what any of us do, there is no pleasing everyone.... all you can do is your best :D

I made a coin and announced it about 2 months before it was ready to buy. I'm hoping that this next coin won't be that way. I'm going to have the samples of the coins, if not the actual coins to sell, by the time they're announced at GW6. It all depends, and for me, I'd rather not have people's money for more time than I have to, without giving anything in return. For other people, it's up to them. :o

Edited by imfrog2002

I can only speak for myself, when I announce coins that I have designed for another site, it's strictly because I'm so darned excited to see them finished. Especially since some of them have been done art work wise for close to a year! I usually wait for the store to give me an ok that they are about to pre-sell them before announcing them though.

As a consumer, I like seeing them 4 weeks in advance only so that I can prioritize my spending allowance, if I even have any. It allows me to pick and choose and not kick myself later.

If one decides to post their idea for a coin in the forums to stake a claim on the concept, at what stage would you do it? Would you post the very first rough sketch you did on a napkin at lunch? Or wait for the finished art to come back from the artists?

I do have this idea at the back of my head that has made its way onto paper in a few incarnations recently. I think I've done a pretty thorough search of the net and the geocaching.com site to make sure my idea hasn't already been used, and I haven't come across anything. But since I've just started my FIRST coin, I'll probably have to wait a year before I get this one moving. Someone might very well have the same brainstorm I had and get the drop on me!

I suppose there's nothing to be done about that.

Well I announced a coin well in advance because:

a) I was excited!

;) I didn't want anyone else to steal the idea

c) Gauge interest from the geocoin community

d) I was proud of my (our) first ever coin

e) Offer a sneek peek

f) I'm a show-off

:o

I can answer this since I just recently did just that.

The above Nailed it 100%

*snip* you may only do this kind of pre-announcing, for geocoins you want to sell these forums, when they are trackable on geocaching.com. *snip*

Question for Eartha: Can one announce (or pre-announce) a non-trackable if it is absolutely NOT for sale in any way, shape or form? Just an announcement of ones new trade-only sig item coin? Thanks, :lol:

CF30

You can announce that you're having a baby three years before it's due, just don't sell it in here. :)

The key word in my post was "sell". Funny thing, the first sentence I wrote came out sounding not quite right, so I re-wrote it and still managed to confuse everyone.

What I was trying to get at was, you can't announce a coin very early for sale and decide later on not to have it trackable and change it to a trade thread.

Edit to add: but don't forget, trades are done in the trading thread.

Edited by Eartha

I'm sure some will think that I'm posting this as an attack, when in fact I'm curious (from both my marketing and psychology backgrounds).

No offense or attack taken at all! It's a good question!

Perhaps someone might post about their upcoming coin simply because they are so proud of how pretty/cool/nice their concept-turned-into-reality turned out that they just can't help but show it off. It's a little like showing off a new baby, if ya know what I mean. :lol:

CF30

I am really proud of the coin and I did want to share it :)

Well I announced a coin well in advance because:

a) I was excited!

:) I didn't want anyone else to steal the idea

c) Gauge interest from the geocoin community

d) I was proud of my (our) first ever coin

e) Offer a sneek peek

f) I'm a show-off

:)

Liz! You put it into words perfectly, lol!

I honestly just wanted to share. I'm proud of it and happy about it. I don't have a job (want one, though) and this is a little like a job and something for me to have some pride in and feel like I'm doing something.

I think that for a lot of us, though, it really does boil down to pride :)

Naomi :)

I like when coin makers show their coin; :)

I can then slaver and slaver when i like the coin very much and look in my wallet [can i buy this coin; for me no because the money is to his limit :) ] and then i am hoping will some one trade with me. :)

This goes on all the time till the coins will purschase and then i know if i got one or no. :lol:

Then comes a other coin................... and so go on. :):):)

So please let this continue on and let me :) dream :) about your coins. :)

I'm as curious as the next person about folks' projects.

But I'll also say it confuzzles me to see coins listed too far in advance. I lose track of them, I see artwork, but no coin...and coins, as we all know look, different from the artwork and look different in hand as well.

VERY good question and some very heartening responses as well! B) I think for myself, I share chrisgun's fate in that I very likely might suffer horribly without sharing my ideas with some friends - lol. Most of my designs are either commercial or for someone else's personal coin so I don't get to announce very often. At least not early. Once in a while though I'll have something in the works and I'll share it with just one other person to get it off my chest. It helps me sleep better :)

i think as a girl that it is meant for all the girl coin junkie`s, because we love to see all the beautiful coins so that we can fantasise about it and when we see :D the coin on our computer then we can hug the coin a little bit :D:D .

for the boys is it a different story because their wallet will be empty because them buy the lovely coins for all the :D girls........

Lorca.nl

Edited by lorca.nl