GPS nickname

A long time ago. the oil tanker on which I was serving was fitted with first generation satellite navigation receiver. Made by Magnovox the box was immediately nicknamed "Maggers". Oh what a system, wait several hours between each position fix with guesswork in between. Now we have a continuous stream of positional fixes and moan when it doesn't work under trees. :D

How often do oil tankers find themselves under the cover of trees? :D

:o

A long time ago. the oil tanker on which I was serving was fitted with first generation satellite navigation receiver. Made by Magnovox the box was immediately nicknamed "Maggers". Oh what a system, wait several hours between each position fix with guesswork in between. Now we have a continuous stream of positional fixes and moan when it doesn't work under trees. :laughing:

How often do oil tankers find themselves under the cover of trees? :)

:)

Depends if the tankers are owned by Exxon. . .

We have a few GPSrs and they go by two names: Yours and Mine.

My Etrex Legend is named Gary Gygax, after the creator of D&D. I have no clue why, I don't even play D&D, but it seemed like a good name so I used it. As for my Etrex Legend, we B) lovingly B) call him #$%#^**&, because he has an average accuracy of 25 feet. :anibad:;)B)

Edited by nillbug

our Garmin GPS V (that we "inherited" from some parentals when they upgraded) is called "Fiver", after the character in Watership Down. he usually has a vague idea of where we should be going and tends to freak out when he thinks we are going the wrong way.

will have to see if the Ique 3600 we got on ebay today will aquire a name :unsure:

Edited by GnOArmyChicks

So my group and I have designated the GPSr as "Ziggy." For those unfamilar with the show Quantam Leap, Ziggy was a supercomputer that was linked through a little handheld device that never seemed to work quite like Al, the operator, wanted. lol I just thought it was appropriate but I was curious is anyone else has a nickname for thier handheld.

JR

And yes I remember Ziggy...loved the sound when Al would hit her...lol

Our MAP60CSx is affectionatly known as "Mr. Garmin", with the same inflection and tone as ""Gee Mr. Science, should we stop, drop and roll now?"". But we try not to call him names to his face as he does tend to get all jumpy and pay us back by sending us in circles through untold miles of palmettos and gator infected swamps :)

Let's see.... The whole fleet... In order of purchase....

eTrex - Old Yellar.

DeLorme LT-20 (#1) - Spike

eTrex Legend - Blue

Magellan MAP-410 - Flip (because of the antenna)

eTrex VentureHC - Half-Pint

DeLorme LT-20 (#2) - Ducky (rescued from a tag sale)

Magellan Explorist 500 - Rocky

Magellan Explorist 400 - Bullwinkle (Don't laugh. It's the 1st that came to mind.)

Lowrance iFinder PhD - The Doctor

Yes, I know.. I have Too Many!!

Said elsewhere... If you have one GPSr, You're not lost. If you have more than 2, You're totally lost!

Which puts me in the category of.... Umm.. Nevermind! :P

Stephen (gelfling6)

I don't have a name for my handheld. But the Garmin Street Pilot is named "Yenta" because it will randomly interrupt a conversation to say "Turn Left."

My brother refers to his handheld as "my girlfriend Stacy," and addresses it as "Stacy," as in "Hay, Stacy, where are we?" (He often does this while using an oafish voice.)

I used to sail on a boat that had two GPS units on the nav console. They were "Satan" and "Beelzebub." The spare (in the inflatable raft) was "Mephistopheles."

BrendaJean and I have recently started calling my 60Csx the "idiot box"... as in "a box operated by idiots".

The name originated on a day where not once, but three times, I entered the waypoint for the next leg of a multi but rather than hitting the 'go to' button I hit 'page' to go to the compass screen... (which results in a neat circle right back to where you started more or less).

I have referred to my 60CSx as Dr. Theopolis. Since I carry it around my neck. Anyone remember Dr. Theopolis???

Buck Rogers, circa 1978?? (I watched for Erin Gray)No one else answered

I don't remember Dr. Theopolis at all.

I only remember one episode of Buck Rogers. There were some little "aliens?" that were chanting "off think, off think", and the buttons on Erin Gray's uniform were poppin! :P

No name for my Vista. Sorry.

eTrex - Old Yellar.

eTrex Legend - Blue

Magellan Explorist 400 - Bullwinkle (Don't laugh. It's the 1st that came to mind.)

Said elsewhere... If you have one GPSr, You're not lost. If you have more than 2, You're totally lost!

Which puts me in the category of.... Umm.. Nevermind! :)

Stephen (gelfling6)

And... Now, I have truely hit the lowest of the low... I have adopted, yet another GPSr to feed....

Garmin GPS-72 - Gonzo The Great (you know, the little blue Weirdo from the Muppets?) Just earned it's 1st Geocache today!

You can't seem to have too few GPSr's.. :)

Trucker Lee, Gizmo, was from the movie Gremlins

1stwarrior95, Okay, let's see.. If you remember Twiki, the small android, who's voice was done by the late Mel Blanc (Bugs Bunny, Elmer Fudd, Daffy Duck, etc.) In the 1st season, Twiki wore a round faced computer (Kind of like Flava-Flav, the rapper, wore a kitchen clock as a medallion) which was supposed to be a super computer. Twiki was his mode of transport..

Let's see.... Here's as good a picture as any of Twiki carrying Dr. Theopolis... Wikipedia page for Twiki

Stephen

Edited by gelfling6

eTrex - Old Yellar.

eTrex Legend - Blue

Which puts me in the category of.... Umm.. Nevermind! :)

Stephen (gelfling6)

And... Now, I have truely hit the lowest of the low... I have adopted, yet another GPSr to feed....

Garmin GPS-72 - Gonzo The Great (you know, the little blue Weirdo from the Muppets?) Just earned it's 1st Geocache today!

You can't seem to have too few GPSr's.. :)

Stephen (ARGH!! Note to moderator.. Sorry for the double-post.. Cursed by Vista & Mozilla security.. Page reload caused 2nd.. Please delete this one..)

Edited by gelfling6

will have to see if the Ique 3600 we got on ebay today will aquire a name :)

Well, how could it be anything other'n 'Ike'? Maybe even Ike Turner. :)

Guess I'll have to claim what's apparently the most popular name - Ol' Blue - but for prolly different reasons. 'Blue' becuz it's an eTrex Legend -- Ol' becuz I bought it used.

Besides, anybody who knows anything knows Ol' Blue was one of the bestest huntin' dawgs, ever! *

'Now I know a lotta people never heard th' sound

Of an ol' fox hunter, callin' his hounds

Well I know this old feller had a dog named Blue,

On a Saturday night, this is what he would do.

He'd call up his neighbors on th' party line

And he'd tell 'em to meet him at a quarter-to-nine

He'd say Ol' Blue's waitin' for th' Tally Ho

He's hotter than a pistol & a-rarin' to go.

Chorus:

Ol' Blue.....Ol' Bluuuue ...... Ya know ya never saw a prettier sight

Ol' Blue.....Ol' Bluuuue ...... Chasin' foxes in Kentucky on a Saturday night!!"

*& gosh I hope that didn't put th' jinx on it!!

:)

~*

My Streetpilot is named "The Dutchess". My wife named her Nuvi "Daphne" after the character on "Frasier" because she has the voice set to British-English. Neither of us have names for our 60Csx's.

El Diablo

Because of the English accent on our Nuvi, Logan (Tin Dog), our little girl, has named her after one of the Doctors companions, Donna Noble..

_44583169_donna416.jpg

I too, get the Buck Rogers reference, as a matter of fact, I named my 60CSx "Twiki"...but I have to admit, I watched the show for Erin Gray, too.

I've got an iQue 3600 that a friend and I dubbed "Shirley". We were in the middle of a very long bridge, over what I can only assume was very deep water, when the iQue said "In 100 feet, turn right". Not having an amphibious car, we chose to disregard her advice. My friend immediately said "Surely she can't be serious", to which I replied "She is serious, and don't call her Shirley"...

Funnily enough, my daughter and I just had this very same conversation while driving in Spike the mini van - I thought the Garmin Etrex needed a name and suggested rocky - she told me it was too boring and said yellow banana which I promptly vetoed. She thought for a few minutes and shouted out Mogumbo.

I told her I didn't like gumbo and why would I want to call our GPSr something that essentially meant MORE gumbo. She told me not to think of it as MORE gumbo, but MOgumbo. I couldn't argue with that logic so mogumbo it is.

My Streetpilot is named "The Dutchess". My wife named her Nuvi "Daphne" after the character on "Frasier" because she has the voice set to British-English. Neither of us have names for our 60Csx's.

El Diablo

Because of the English accent on our Nuvi, Logan (Tin Dog), our little girl, has named her after one of the Doctors companions, Donna Noble..

_44583169_donna416.jpg

I sooo dislike the English accent on my Nuvi....which is called GiGi the Know-it-all...

but the doctor is great!

I posted earlier in the thread that my Jensen is Elroy, which my daughter murdered, so now we have Elroy II, but still just call him Elroy.

My daughter named my Vista 'Carmen' as in "Where in the World is Carmen San Diego".

My palm is a Sony Clie which I named Boris.

One of my caching friends calls her nuvi Jill, and another has named hers "Jonesy", which I think is from Hunt for Red October or something. I'll have to ask her again.

We have lots of conversations like "Jonesy says it's over there, what do Jill and Carmen say?" "Check Boris to see if there are any hints". "Elroy is right, Jill is on crack".

Another of my friends has a 60 csx which she had never named, so I dubbed it Carrington.

Garmin Nuvi 370 = "Garwoman"

Our game, when she is in on-road mode getting us near a cache or for "real" navigation, is to add "you idiot" to the end of her instruction. (Sort of like "in bed" at the end of a fortune cookie futune).

Garwoman, "In .3 miles, turn left..."

Car-full-of-cachers in unison, "..YOU IDIOT!"

This works especially well when Garwoman intones, "recalculating, recalculating..." Some will envariably add the unspoken narrative going on in Garwoman's head, "...as I am ALWAYS doing for you! If you would simply turn when I TELL you to turn, we wouldn't be in this mess! Which reminds me...this car is TRASHED! Will you ever throw away your own McDonald's wrappers? There are 20 yr old french frys under your seat!!..."

(Yes, it was a VERY long road-trip filled summer for two adults and two kids!!)

Garwoman, "In .3 miles, turn left..."

Car-full-of-cachers in unison, "..YOU IDIOT!"

I can SO relate to that, having just used a Nuvi 270 for three weeks during our vacation in Europe. It did so much sound like she was losing patience with my directional ability that we also were adding "...you idiot!" to the end of everything she said. :laughing: