GPS nickname

So my group and I have designated the GPSr as "Ziggy." For those unfamilar with the show Quantam Leap, Ziggy was a supercomputer that was linked through a little handheld device that never seemed to work quite like Al, the operator, wanted. lol I just thought it was appropriate but I was curious is anyone else has a nickname for thier handheld.

JR

I often refer to my 60CSX as Gary Garmin. "Gary Garmin says turn left, so we're turning left" "How far away does Gary Garmin say we are?".

Now that we have a Magellan for the car (a piece of junk BTW) it's Marty Magellan (Maggie Magellan was too obvious). "Marty Magellan doesn't have a sat lock", "Marty Magellan says turn right, but there is no road there",

"Marty Magellan is trying to take us the wrong way on a one way street".

but I was curious is anyone else has a nickname for thier handheld.

No. You're the only one. Just kidding. <_< I think about 50,000 geocachers call their Magellan "Maggie". <_<

We have the Magellan gold that we call "Golden boy"

The one for the truck we call "Mona" after the one in the movie RV.

So my group and I have designated the GPSr as "Ziggy." For those unfamilar with the show Quantam Leap, Ziggy was a supercomputer that was linked through a little handheld device that never seemed to work quite like Al, the operator, wanted. lol I just thought it was appropriate but I was curious is anyone else has a nickname for thier handheld.

So long as "ziggy" doesn't start logging finds, go for it...

our magellan roadmate that is normally in our Toyota Tacoma is known as 'The Voice of the Fat Chick'. The Tacoma is 'The Fat Chick' because hubby always told me that when he turned 40 he wanted a Harley and a Fat Chick. Well, he needed a new truck about that time and we got this great truck (and then got a kitten that we named Harley). So the truck was named 'The Fat Chick'. Anyway... the GPSr's don't have names.... yet.

My Legend HCx is "Charlie."

Occasionally when I'm following the turn by turn in the car, it'll want me to turn down a street that dead ends, is one way, is a dirt road vs a paved road, or my wife just doesn't think we should go that way. As the unit busily chirps away, the only proper response is:

"Sorry Charlie!"

e1185852202.jpg

We have two GPSr. one in the car and one for geocaching.

The one in the car is "Dora." Named after "Dora the Explorer." Dora is our little explorer, she gets us where we need to be.

The handehld GPSr is "Dori." Named after Dori in the movie "Finding Nemo." She can't remember things and goes back and forth and back and forth. Well, sometimes I feel like my handheld leads me one way then changes...oh wait, back to the right again... 50 feet away. Wait, 3 feet. And so on.

So basically, I feel like I'm Dori out there in the woods, not too sure where to go unless Dori can make up her mind.

Edited by Little Hap

A long time ago. the oil tanker on which I was serving was fitted with first generation satellite navigation receiver. Made by Magnovox the box was immediately nicknamed "Maggers". Oh what a system, wait several hours between each position fix with guesswork in between. Now we have a continuous stream of positional fixes and moan when it doesn't work under trees. :lol:

JR

I haven't hung a name on my handheld, but when we got our first SP III I was told the voice they used was the voice of a woman that worked for Garmin named Betty, so that's what we called it. I don't know if there's any truth to the story or not.

Our 2820 we call Jack because that's what Garmin calls the voice we use.

I am the proud owner of the INFAMOUS 1942 Philco Problematic GPSr. The 1942 Philco Problematic doesn't use satelite signals like your machines do. It triangulates the signals that bounce off of the watertowers in Racine, Milwaukee and Paddock Lake, Wisconsin. It is...shall we say...less than accurate.

My Gpsr is well known locally and even has a few geocaches named after it:

Remembering the 1942 Philco

The 1942 Philco Problematic

Edited by rogheff

We did name our Lowrance iFinder Map & Music after having a family consultation - Gus. We started with "GPS" and ran through the vowels.

GaS, GeS, GiS, GoS, GuS and GyS.

Only "Gus" made sense and it stuck.

My 7yo son calls the in-dash unit in my folk's car "Marge" from the Simpsons because she's always nagging!

I named my new Magellan eXplorist 500le (which sucks, should have done more research before buying ):o, Dudley, because it's a dud, and it doesn't work the way I want it to, but I was thinking about naming it Brick, because that's basically what it is, a brick with a screen and controls, that cost me $120.00. MAGELLAN STINKS: GO GARMIN!!!!!