Garmen Etrex cable help needed

I need a computer hook up cable for the basic yellow Garmin Etrex (the newer model with high sensitivity). I bought it at wal mart after looking everywhere for a handheld unit. Most stores said they don't carry them (making me think they weren't popular). Anyway these same stores including wal mart don't have cables pouches or any accessories and neither do any ebay sellers. Everything seems to come in a package with a gps unit. So any help finding accessories (namely the cable) would be much appreciated!

I need a computer hook up cable for the basic yellow Garmin Etrex (the newer model with high sensitivity). I bought it at wal mart after looking everywhere for a handheld unit. Most stores said they don't carry them (making me think they weren't popular). Anyway these same stores including wal mart don't have cables pouches or any accessories and neither do any ebay sellers. Everything seems to come in a package with a gps unit. So any help finding accessories (namely the cable) would be much appreciated!

Go to the garmin website; click on "shop" at the top of the window and follow the links to accessories. Garmin sells the cable. I should have come with your unit. REI.com sells several brands of GPSr's.

Go to the garmin website; click on "shop" at the top of the window and follow the links to accessories. Garmin sells the cable. I should have come with your unit. REI.com sells several brands of GPSr's.

The basic yellow eTrex is the one Garmin unit that does NOT come with a cable.

As etphoto suggets - either buy on-line at the Garmin store, or else find a specialty GPS dealer in your area.

The yellow eTrex does not have USB, it's a serial cable.

Bah. I was thinking the new H was USB, but only the color models are.

I was too annoyed with Garmin to buy their cable for my old etrex when I got it, so I made one with an old credit card and a serial cable.

Do you have a Gander Mountain or Cabela's? If so, check them out. They carry GPS accessories.

::slapping forehead:: I didn't even think about Gander Mountain! Thanks for the tip. Yes it is a 5 pin...if there is a 5 pin to usb it should work for data transfer.

The cables for the yellow one end in a 9 pin D sub. Might look into getting a serial to USB adapter. I use an IOgear GUC232A and it works great under Windows and OS X.

Edited by coggins