Misery Loves Company

hdmama2002

Sunday April 20th at about 8:00 a.m.(ish)

I am going to need some of the caches on Mount McDonald to fill in the gaping holes in my Fizzy Challenge list. So on the above day I will be hiking up Mount McDonald, rain or shine, to get this done. I have made a bookmark under my profile called "Misery Loves Company," and have listed all of the caches that I plan on doing that day. Would love for other cachers to come with me as I haul my out-of-shape carcass up the "hill." I am starting kinda early because I do not know how long it will take me to get up there, but I intend on having a snack or even lunch up at the top. I tried to make this an event cache like the Pokey Plodders do, but I got shot down by the powers that be.

If you are interested in joining me please mark your calendars and post me a note here. If you know someone who may be interested please pass the word.

The starting point will be at WP1 of sciuchetti's Going Up Mt. McDonald (GCZ752). There is limited parking here and we may need to carpool depending on the number of people who want to go.

Thanks,

Hdmama2002

If I can get a pass I'll be there. I need to do a maint. run on "Sugarloaf..... It's Soooo Last Year" so this would be a good opportunity for that.

FYI, you can't make caching and event, if you want to create an event you could make a quick meet & greed before the hike and call that the event. If you decided to go eith the meet & greet a good spot might be Ravensdale Park, that way you could even set up some carpooling from there as well.

Yeah, I know. I tried to do a "meet n greet" event before I voluntarily went up the mountain and the powers that be turned me down. I think mainly because I was having an event at a trail head where there were no tables or even a covered area. I like the idea of maybe carpooling from Ravensdale Park if we get enough people to go. I wonder- if I made the "meet n greet" part a picnic at the top of the mountain, maybe that would get approved. Too tired to deal with it right now, maybe later.

If I can get a pass I'll be there. I need to do a maint. run on "Sugarloaf..... It's Soooo Last Year" so this would be a good opportunity for that.

FYI, you can't make caching and event, if you want to create an event you could make a quick meet & greed before the hike and call that the event. If you decided to go eith the meet & greet a good spot might be Ravensdale Park, that way you could even set up some carpooling from there as well.

I never think that cachers getting together is a bad thing. But the guidelines state that event caches should not be held for the purpose of drawing people together to find a cache or a group of caches.

Some of the recent events submitted and published lately have pushed that guideline a bit, some more than others. Hikes such as this one are best organized through the forums like the Hike of the Month cache thread.

We've been looking at those Mt McDonald caches for a while now, thinking that would be a great hike. We'd be interested in joining this event if the weather isn't too bad.

Looks like roughly a 10 mile round trip hike with a 2500 ft elevation change.

We'll put this on our calendar.

Put us down for two people and two dogs.

....Looks like roughly a 10 mile round trip hike with a 2500 ft elevation change.

Maybe we should start even earlier? Definitely need to eat my Wheaties that morning. <_<

The time may change, will depend on the size of the group and the weather. My problem is that I have two young children to pawn off on a spouse or grandparent. So 8:00ish could be earlier, then if other people want to catch up with us on the mountain they can.

....Looks like roughly a 10 mile round trip hike with a 2500 ft elevation change.

Maybe we should start even earlier? Definitely need to eat my Wheaties that morning. :o

This shouldn't be necessary unless we are moving extremely slow. A 10 mile round trip with 2500 feet of elevation change should be easily doable in a day by starting at 8AM. I would guess that even with stopping 10 times looking for caches, we should be back by 3PM at the latest.

This is assuming of course, that we actually start heading up the mountain at 8AM. ;)

Edited by GrnXnham

I'll add to that. You'll want to make the meet up time at leat 15-30 minutes earlier than you really intend to start. I typically start the meet at 0900 with an intention of being on the trail by 0930 if not sooner.

Typically, everyone starts showing up about 10-15 minutes earlier than the agreed meet up time, but this gives most folks to catch up at the trailhead rather than on the trail. You'll end up spreading out. Yesterday's group of 16 ended up stretched out about 1/2 mile long end to end. It also gives you time to organize a group shot before the hike starts when everyone is still smiling with anticipation.

Take FRS radios to keep in touch. There's nothing like not being able to keep up and feeling like you're not part of the group. That radio helps to keep you involved.

I'll add to that. You'll want to make the meet up time at leat 15-30 minutes earlier than you really intend to start. I typically start the meet at 0900 with an intention of being on the trail by 0930 if not sooner.

Typically, everyone starts showing up about 10-15 minutes earlier than the agreed meet up time, but this gives most folks to catch up at the trailhead rather than on the trail. You'll end up spreading out. Yesterday's group of 16 ended up stretched out about 1/2 mile long end to end. It also gives you time to organize a group shot before the hike starts when everyone is still smiling with anticipation.

Take FRS radios to keep in touch. There's nothing like not being able to keep up and feeling like you're not part of the group. That radio helps to keep you involved.

Thank you for the advice, TL. I like the idea of the radios, "let no cacher be left behind." Sad thing is that I may be the one bringing up the rear.

Okay, I gave the start time some thought and I do agree with some of you. If you want to get there early to visit, stretch , finish your coffee, or whatever we should get there 7:30 to 7:45. My plan is to be at WP1 of Going Up Mt. McDonald and headed up the trail at 8:00. If there are people that want to start a little later, then I am sure that they will have no problem catching up with others once on the trail.

I also noticed that there is a benchmark on Mt McDonald, will have to add that to the list at some point.

Edited by hdmama2002

I have yet to do the McDonald caches, so ordinarily I'd be interested, but....that's Earth Day weekend, and there will be CITO events scattered around the area both days, including the one I'm sponsoring on April 20 (Sunday). Bummer!

Edited by hydnsek

I'll be trying to drive to the summit next Tuesday. I'll let you know how it looks.

It's not on the pass. It's north of Black Diamond, east of Kent.

There are lots of summits not just at Snoqualmie Pass, we could use the summit of Mt. McDonald where someone might need to do maintanence on the communication tower(s) there as an example.

I'll be trying to drive to the summit next Tuesday. I'll let you know how it looks.

There are lots of summits not just at Snoqualmie Pass, we could use the summit of Mt. McDonald where someone might need to do maintanence on the communication tower(s) there as an example.

It appears to me that they think that Mt. McDonald is on Snoqualmie Pass. :laughing: I may be mistaken, though.

We have a radio site about 20' from GCF719 at the summit of McDonald. I looked at the remote security cameras in the area, and snow will probably still be an issue past Shrek Sees SugarLoaf GCZ3KR. Time will tell

No, I know exactly where McDonald Mountain is. I actually grew up at the base of the mountain and the locals refer to it as "McDonald's Point." The gate in question is where we will park to begin the hike, you need a Department of Natural Resources key to open the gate if you are lucky enough to drive up. The hike/drive is up old logging roads.

No, I know exactly where McDonald Mountain is. I actually grew up at the base of the mountain and the locals refer to it as "McDonald's Point." The gate in question is where we will park to begin the hike, you need a Department of Natural Resources key to open the gate if you are lucky enough to drive up. The hike/drive is up old logging roads.

I didn't say you did not.

I've been wrong around here a lot, so it's just par for the course right now. :blink::unsure:

If it makes you feel any better, I normally have no sense of direction. I am one of those people who forget where they park their car at the mall, so my husband had me driving a HUGE lifted truck for a while so I could see it from the store. You should see me in the woods. Green trees, on hills; they all look the same. Then you add snow and it's worse. Thank goodness I can follow my tracks back to the car in the snow if I forget to mark where the car is on the GPS.

Spent about 4 hours on the side of Rattlesnake Mtn to the north. Most of it was trying to get unstuck. Looking at our cameras at McDonald today, it will be a couple more weeks beofer I can drive up to the summit.

I was on the north side of Taylor Mtn. Saturday, just south of Rattlesnake Ridge, and there is still about 2' of snow there and Taylor tops out at 2600'. The south side of Rattlesnake looked pretty snow free though.

We were hiking on Mt. McDonald on Friday, but only went to the little bump/wart on the SW side. There was fresh snow on the top, and the snow level was about at the summit of the little bump/wart. A few weeks ago, we were on the main trail, and the deep snow was primarily on the north side where it gets more shade. Mostly melted everywhere else.

Thank you everyone for your input. If there is still snow by April 15th or so then I will probably postpone the hike, although I don't want to. IF the hike gets post-poned would people then be interested in getting together for the nearby Sugarloaf caches? I will try to make a bookmark of those next week, very busy next couple of days since Transformer1 is turning 6 tomorrow.

Thank you everyone for your input. If there is still snow by April 15th or so then I will probably postpone the hike, although I don't want to. IF the hike gets post-poned would people then be interested in getting together for the nearby Sugarloaf caches? I will try to make a bookmark of those next week, very busy next couple of days since Transformer1 is turning 6 tomorrow.

If you put a bookmark together don't forget "A View to Nowhere". A puzzle cache that has posted coordinates in the middle of Retreat Lake but is acutally on top of Sugarloaf.

I did a training hike today to help get ready for McDonald. I climbed Squak Mtn. from the State Park parking lot on the May Valley Rd. up to the antenna towers. There's 14 inches of snow at the top and it was totally clouded in. I couldn't find the trail from the antenna towers over to Central Peak and I didn't feel like bushwhacking it thru 14" of snow so I came home cacheless. Oh, well. It was good exercise in prep for McD. and it gives me an excuse to go back up there on a nice summer day. :laughing:

Weather and snow levels are not looking good for an upcoming hike up Mount McDonald. It is looking more likely that the trip will be switched over to Sugarloaf Mountain instead. Will give "Spring" another week to see what it is going to do.

There's still 3 weeks to go, plenty of time for the snow to melt if we have any kind of warmer weather.

I did a training hike today to help get ready for McDonald. I climbed Squak Mtn. from the State Park parking lot on the May Valley Rd. up to the antenna towers. There's 14 inches of snow at the top and it was totally clouded in. I couldn't find the trail from the antenna towers over to Central Peak and I didn't feel like bushwhacking it thru 14" of snow so I came home cacheless. Oh, well. It was good exercise in prep for McD. and it gives me an excuse to go back up there on a nice summer day. :)

I tried to drive that route today and failed. It's getting plowed Wednesday from May Valley to the Radio Site.

I did a training hike today to help get ready for McDonald. I climbed Squak Mtn. from the State Park parking lot on the May Valley Rd. up to the antenna towers. There's 14 inches of snow at the top and it was totally clouded in. I couldn't find the trail from the antenna towers over to Central Peak and I didn't feel like bushwhacking it thru 14" of snow so I came home cacheless. Oh, well. It was good exercise in prep for McD. and it gives me an excuse to go back up there on a nice summer day. :laughing:

Wha? Training? Did you miss the part where I mentioned that I was out of shape? Plus, I have been sick with some bronchial infection for the last 10 days. Have barely been able to walk to the end of the driveway, really pathetic. Please stop training, it will only make me look better. [:D]

Hdmama2002 called me today and asked me to let all of you know that she is going to have to postpone this Sunday's hike. She has been at the hospital all week with her youngest and is hoping to get home today or tomorrow. She'll let you know when she reschedules. Thank you all for your understanding.

Well, I am sorry to say that I am going to have to post-pone this hike for now. Both of my children have been hospitalized due to the Rotavirus, and we just brought them home today. They are not ou-of-the-woods yet and are going to need constant care and close supervision for the next 6-7 days. They are still considered to be contagious, so I don't even feel comfortable asking a family member to help us out.

If some of you still want to get together and do the hike then I think that would be great. You may even get to see some snow if you go over the weekend.

As soon as I can get a new date figured out then I will post it. I am truly sorry for having to post-pone.

And a big "THANK YOU" to Tomison for posting earlier for me, we really were not sure if we would get to bring the kids home today.