KEEPING TRAVEL BUG

PGS11

I would like to know about a travel bug. I am a 'newbee' and found my FIRST cache in cancun mexico! I will be going to Italy in MAY and want to know if I can or should hold the jeep until I go? I can place it locally (MT. MORRIS NEW YORK) alot sooner. what is the right thing to do? :(

I would like to know about a travel bug. I am a 'newbee' and found my FIRST cache in cancun mexico! I will be going to Italy in MAY and want to know if I can or should hold the jeep until I go? I can place it locally (MT. MORRIS NEW YORK) alot sooner. what is the right thing to do? :(

The FIRST thing you need to do is log the cache and the travelbug. Then ask again.

In general, if you're going to hold a travel bug for more than two weeks before dropping it off, you should email the owner and ask if it's okay.

But you mentioned that the TB you picked up is a Jeep. If it's one of the "official contest" Jeeps, then it's fine for you to hang onto it until May. The contests for previous years are over, and the one for this year hasn't started, so there's no time crunch. But if it's someone's personal TB that happens to be a Jeep, you should ask them if it's okay for you to hold onto it for so long. (You should be able to tell which type of Jeep you've picked up when you log it.)

By the way, we were out caching in Mt Morris last fall -- lots of great caches around there! Letchworth State Park has a ton of them, and the surrounding area has quite a lot to choose from too. Welcome to caching!

In general, if you're going to hold a travel bug for more than two weeks before dropping it off, you should email the owner and ask if it's okay.

But you mentioned that the TB you picked up is a Jeep. If it's one of the "official contest" Jeeps, then it's fine for you to hang onto it until May. The contests for previous years are over, and the one for this year hasn't started, so there's no time crunch. But if it's someone's personal TB that happens to be a Jeep, you should ask them if it's okay for you to hold onto it for so long. (You should be able to tell which type of Jeep you've picked up when you log it.)

By the way, we were out caching in Mt Morris last fall -- lots of great caches around there! Letchworth State Park has a ton of them, and the surrounding area has quite a lot to choose from too. Welcome to caching!

The FIRST thing you need to do is log the cache and the travelbug. Then ask again.

Congratulations on your first cache and first Jeep TB! My opinion is, it would be fine to wait and take it to Italy, it would be a great thrill for a cacher there to find something which must be pretty rare for that area. On the other hand, it would also be fine to leave it in a cache somewhere in Long Island! :unsure:<_<

This post will probably get me slammed three ways from Sunday! :( Daimler/Chrysler/Jeep sells worldwide, yet restricts their Jeep TBs to the continental US for the duration of a contest that would excite anyone in the world. It would seem fitting that any or all of these Jeep TBs find their way out of the country sooner than later. My vote would be to take it to Italy.

This post will probably get me slammed three ways from Sunday! :( Daimler/Chrysler/Jeep sells worldwide, yet restricts their Jeep TBs to the continental US for the duration of a contest that would excite anyone in the world. It would seem fitting that any or all of these Jeep TBs find their way out of the country sooner than later. My vote would be to take it to Italy.

I agree with you -- they're initially restricted here by the contest rules, but once it's over everyone should have a crack at 'em.

I agree with you -- they're initially restricted here by the contest rules, but once it's over everyone should have a crack at 'em.

What she said.

My opinion would be to release it ASAP. I wouldn't want anyone hoarding any of my travel bugs for more than a couple weeks, but like the others have said, no one really owns it. Still it's good etiquette to catch and release soon after.

3 Months is an awful long time to be holding a bug. Whether it's owned by JEEP or an individual. Why not release it now, and grab another bug shortly before your trip, that you can take over? TBs are everywhere.