doesn't this cache break a few Geocaching rules?

I was reviewing a few Jamaican caches to preparation for my vacation there. I noticed this cache

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...=y&decrypt=

Correct me if I am wrong but one of the original geocaching rules that has been implimented since geocaching was started has been that in no way is a cache to be BURIED.

I realize that this cache has been active and found by many people who have had to paid to get it. and the cache page does tell you how to now where to dig.

I'll correct you, because you're wrong.

Have you read the guidelines? Right in the very beginning they say:

"f the cache was placed prior to the date when a guideline was issued or updated the cache is likely to be “grandfathered” and allowed to stand as is."

The site is a lot stricter now about commercial caches than was the case in early 2002 when this one was hidden.

As for the buried cache guideline, if you read it, the language says: "If a shovel, trowel or other “pointy” object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate."

I haven't found the cache, but seeing as how it's on a beach in Jamaica, I suspect that you can move away some sand with your hands, and find the cache. Hands are not considered "pointy" objects.

EDIT: the cache also violates the current Cache Maintenance guideline regarding "maintainable distance," otherwise known as the "vacation cache" guideline. It's grandfathered for that one, too.

Edited by The Leprechauns

I was reviewing a few Jamaican caches to preparation for my vacation there. I noticed this cache

Correct me if I am wrong but one of the original geocaching rules that has been implimented since geocaching was started has been that in no way is a cache to be BURIED.

I realize that this cache has been active and found by many people who have had to paid to get it. and the cache page does tell you how to now where to dig.

Perhaps they have permission from the land owner. Often, explicit permission can trump the guidelines, although, it can lead to other problems, such as inexperienced cachers thinking that its okay to bury a cache anywhere. So, generally, its frowned upon to do that, even with explicit permission.

Why don't you do the cache and find out for yourself? If many others have found it and there haven't been any complaints??? Go enjoy your vacation and don't worry about it.

Access fees for beaches and parks is common.

They didnt make the "no digging" rule until after they noticed problems. The older caches were allowed to stay that way unless there was issues. Most of the logs indicate that the locals will help you find the cache, as well as the lifeguard, so I dont think it is a issue. :anibad:

Edited by 4wheelin_fool
When I found that cache there was a bag of weed in it as a trade item. I'm just sayin'.
<_< Ok, I thought Mushtang was pulling our collective legs here, so I checked it out. Here's the 1st part of his log from his visit.
icon_smile.gifFebruary 29, 2004 by Mushtang (704 found)

Found this one with my fience on our last day in Jamaica. Signed paper (a log book could not be found) and ignored the small baggie of pot inside. Would have removed the pot since it's something that kids could find, but stories of Jamaican police have me a little too paranoid to risk even carrying it to a nearby trash can.

Sorry I doubted you. :(
When I found that cache there was a bag of weed in it as a trade item. I'm just sayin'.
<_< Ok, I thought Mushtang was pulling our collective legs here, so I checked it out. Here's the 1st part of his log from his visit.

Found this one with my fience on our last day in Jamaica. Signed paper (a log book could not be found) and ignored the small baggie of pot inside. Would have removed the pot since it's something that kids could find, but stories of Jamaican police have me a little too paranoid to risk even carrying it to a nearby trash can.

Sorry I doubted you. :unsure:

I never lie.

Except for maybe the part about the "trash can" being the considered destination. :(

Sorry I doubted you. <_<

Hey, you don't have to go to Jamaica. Moun10Bike found a stash in one of my caches.

Just saying, people who get up in arms about buried/half-buried caches need to read up on The Original Stash, the birthplace of our great game.

A mostly-buried bucket.

So you're saying that it should be OK to bury caches because the first one was? The second cache had alcohol in it. Should we turn a blind eye to booze in caches because of the precedent set by the second cache?

We've learned a lot since a few of our first placements made geocaching unwelcome in some areas. One thing we learned is that few thngs will get geocaching banned faster than the perception that we bury caches.

Just saying, people who get up in arms about buried/half-buried caches need to read up on The Original Stash, the birthplace of our great game.

A mostly-buried bucket.

So you're saying that it should be OK to bury caches because the first one was? The second cache had alcohol in it. Should we turn a blind eye to booze in caches because of the precedent set by the second cache?

We've learned a lot since a few of our first placements made geocaching unwelcome in some areas. One thing we learned is that few thngs will get geocaching banned faster than the perception that we bury caches.

Another thing we learned is that people get up in arms about the most harmless posts made in the forums.

A mostly-buried bucket.

Another thing we learned is that people get up in arms about the most harmless posts made in the forums.

Yeah, isn't that silly?

Correct me if I am wrong but one of the original geocaching rules that has been implimented since geocaching was started has been that in no way is a cache to be BURIED. ...

You have just discovered exactly why it's bad business to try and second guess cache placments. The rules and the cache history mesh, just not in the way you understand and could not have understood not being the cache owner. Enjoy the cache when you get there.

:unsure: Ok, I thought Mushtang was pulling our collective legs here, so I checked it out. Here's the 1st part of his log from his visit.

Sorry I doubted you. <_<

I never lie.

Except for maybe the part about the "trash can" being the considered destination. <_<

I've heard that ganja makes you spell funny.

Edited by sbell111
:o Ok, I thought Mushtang was pulling our collective legs here, so I checked it out. Here's the 1st part of his log from his visit.

Sorry I doubted you. ;)

I never lie.

Except for maybe the part about the "trash can" being the considered destination. :D

I've heard that ganja makes you spell funny.

If that's what causes it, then half the people on the forums are polluted.

I'll correct you, because you're wrong.

Have you read the guidelines? Right in the very beginning they say:

"f the cache was placed prior to the date when a guideline was issued or updated the cache is likely to be “grandfathered” and allowed to stand as is."

The site is a lot stricter now about commercial caches than was the case in early 2002 when this one was hidden.

As for the buried cache guideline, if you read it, the language says: "If a shovel, trowel or other “pointy” object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate."

I haven't found the cache, but seeing as how it's on a beach in Jamaica, I suspect that you can move away some sand with your hands, and find the cache. Hands are not considered "pointy" objects.

EDIT: the cache also violates the current Cache Maintenance guideline regarding "maintainable distance," otherwise known as the "vacation cache" guideline. It's grandfathered for that one, too.

[/quote

I still don't think that buring caches is a good idea. I also pointed out that the cache page makes it easy to locate. it does have a lot of logs. I am not saying I would not attempt it, it is near a cool beach bar.

"Correct me if I am wrong."

I think that the second post took care of the first part. Guidelines change.

There are several out there that are on private property that are indeed buried or required a pointy object to place, one for sure requires a shovel to find.

I still don't think that buring caches is a good idea.

In general, neither do I. But there are exceptions made even today. It depends on the who's doing the burying, how it's buried, and who the land owner is. Sometimes you can get a reviewer to approve one, sometimes you can't. I've seen threads going both ways.

Burying caches is kind of like the NPS prohibition. Folks think it is an absolute prohibition when it is not.

The reason caches, in general, shouldn't be buried makes sense if one puts a little bit of thought into it.