Walkie Talkies

The units I had been considering were the Midland GXT800VP4. They seemed like pretty good units but I don't really want to deal with the license and the entire call sign deal since I would rarely use them anyway. I thought they would be good for when we were in two vehicles or camping, etc.

I honestly thought I wouldn't get much use out of mine as well. But a few months worth of hikes made me decide it was time to add a mobile unit on the jeep so it can act as a local repeater. As noted above, even 5 watts won't push much through a forest unless you have good line of sight, but it sure gets better distance than a 2 watt radio. With the 50 watt mobile acting as a repeater my only obstacle will be a mountain or ridge between us for most situations.

The call sign is an itty bitty pain when you consider the multitude of channels available to you and the willingness of other users to help out in a pinch including letting you get a word in edgewise. :( You won't get that from abusive teens putzing around on an FRS/GMRS for giggles.

Between vehicles, you'll get better distance locally as well as remotely, again, largely due to the higher mobile power and repeater availability.

You can start off small with a handheld, and attach the antenna to an adapter hooked to the window for better distance than you can get with a FRS/GMRS. Granted, it isn't the best of the HAM world, but it is a far better capability than those toys. I did that for almost a year before I got my mobile.

I've already chatted by repeater through the Internet to folks in Colorado and Hawaii. It's an amazing capability that goes beyond just chatting it up in the woods.

The thing about HAM is that the folks like to talk. I freaking hate to talk. I rarely answer the telephone. My dad calls me constantly and I only answer once per weekend. I don't feel the need to gab with folks all the time. On the other hand, I'm fairly prolific when it comes to posting. I can do that on my own time and either do it or not depending on my mood. I don't have to be nagged and hassled by a freaking ringing phone and someone demanding my time and attention. I'm a total phone curmudgeon. If I was a character on "The Waltons" I'd be some crabby old man who, "won't have that infernal contraption in my house!" Phone lines are for Internet access and an occasional call to Papa Murphy's for pizza. Given that state of mind, I don't think I'm cut out for the HAM community.icon4.gif

I also am not a big talker... Check this out http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs.html ... Aprs is a very neat part of ham radio where messages are in text format... and many units, like this hand held, http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Communications/A...ables/TH-D7A(G) can be hooked to your gps while out and you can becon out and show up on everyone arounds screen... send free messages, and see other users that are around and how far and which way... very neat, and the data can travel very far directly to other units on simplex or to digi peaters and rebroadcast farther out... .......... :D

OK, after reading all the pro-ham replies, I ordered a ham radio study guide.

I took part of a sample test online and did very well (I already have an FCC GROL), so I'll take the test in a few weeks.

Alright!!! Good luck :(

yep, welcome aboard (when you get it done)

Thrak, in the very short range situations, FRS is about as good as the GMRS as far as the blister pack units go. For chatting between 2 cars that are going to stay within 1/4 mile of each other or two hikers close together on the same trail, FRS should be sufficient even if not 95% reliable... I don't think your application really demands public safety reliability.

So if you get just FRS, you don't need to fool with the license thing any way. And if you really don't want to talk to other hams, I can't see going to the trouble of getting a ham license.

When you consider the extreme low cost of a pair of FRS/GMRS units, there really is no need NOT to have them for those silly little things that DO fit within their capabilities.

To say "ham is the only way to go" is like saying "I'll buy a microwave oven but not a toaster- since I can heat bread in the microwave." Most people who have one also have the other. The same is true of hams- most also have (or at least have had) a CB and FRS/GMRS (though many won't cop to it in public). It never ceases to amaze me how many hams (granted for good reason due to the state of the band) say they can't stand CB'ers even though for most, CB is where they first got introduced to 2 way radio. (I know, I know, I don't suck a bottle anymore either and that's where I first got introduced to food) :D

I have never regretted getting my ham license and have faithfully kept renewing it for about 20 years even though I rarely use it. As Totem said, basically the radio has an "off" switch. When you don't want to be bothered you take advantage of its functionality (works for cellphones too but most people are afraid to use it).

There are places where there are a lot of ham repeaters as totem said and in those places, ham may very well be the most reliable thing you can get. And it is fairly NORMAL for the hams to come through with usable communications when all "normal" comm systems are failed.

To say "ham is the only way to go" is like saying "I'll buy a microwave oven but not a toaster- since I can heat bread in the microwave." Most people who have one also have the other. The same is true of hams- most also have (or at least have had) a CB and FRS/GMRS (though many won't cop to it in public). It never ceases to amaze me how many hams (granted for good reason due to the state of the band) say they can't stand CB'ers even though for most, CB is where they first got introduced to 2 way radio. (I know, I know, I don't suck a bottle anymore either and that's where I first got introduced to food) :(

Guilty here.

Walkie Talkies in the late 60's thru early 70's.

Mobile and home CB in the early 80's

Handheld RadioShack CB in the late 80's (remember teh 5 foot telescoping antenna?) in order to talk with those from car to car you had to stick the antenna outside. I had to put a strip of high orange vest at the tip just so we could see when the other wanted to chat.)

FRS/GMRS when I started this sport. And I couldn't just go after the cheapies, I HAD to have two Motorla T7200's with the encryption and repeater capability.

Now I have a HAM handheld and mobile to compliment my FRS/GMRS radios.

A rescue team with Snohomish Search and Rescue is searching for a stranded hiker who was reported to be at Buck Creek Pass, north of Trinity in Glacier Peak Wilderness of Wenatchee National Forest in the Cascades.

At about 1:11 p.m. Sunday the man used a ham radio to signal for help. His signal reached someone in Bozeman, Mont., who then contacted Snohomish Search and Rescue.

Rescuers are still trying to reach the victim, who has little or no supplies.

Article

Location on Yahoo Map

Try that with an FRS or cell phone when you're out of range.

Deport?

What's that? :D

It's where you park de boats...

(OK, that was lame) :laughing:

An interesting tale regarding FCC enforcement:

I am a deputy sheriff in Central Florida. Some time ago, I responded to a duplex in reference to a ham radio complaint. The guy on the right side was broadcasting in such a manner as to cause his transmissions to broadcast out of his neighbor's appliances. Excess power? Not sure. It's not my field of expertise. When I knocked on his door to tell him about it, he told me there wasn't anything I could do about it, though he used much harsher language. :laughing:

My dispatcher gave me a contact number for someone in the FCC hierarchy, and I called them, as I wasn't sure if the guy was even committing a crime. I described what was going on, offering as much detail as I could, and FCC dude told me the guy was violating several federal laws. He went on to tell me that their agency would not be taking action, as their enforcement budget was at zero. I never did get a straight answer on what the point was in having laws, if you're not going to enforce them.

Deport?

What's that? :D

It's where you park de boats...

(OK, that was lame) :o

An interesting tale regarding FCC enforcement:

I am a deputy sheriff in Central Florida. Some time ago, I responded to a duplex in reference to a ham radio complaint. The guy on the right side was broadcasting in such a manner as to cause his transmissions to broadcast out of his neighbor's appliances. Excess power? Not sure. It's not my field of expertise. When I knocked on his door to tell him about it, he told me there wasn't anything I could do about it, though he used much harsher language. :)

My dispatcher gave me a contact number for someone in the FCC hierarchy, and I called them, as I wasn't sure if the guy was even committing a crime. I described what was going on, offering as much detail as I could, and FCC dude told me the guy was violating several federal laws. He went on to tell me that their agency would not be taking action, as their enforcement budget was at zero. I never did get a straight answer on what the point was in having laws, if you're not going to enforce them.

That's an interesting anecdote and I can't help but wonder that some facts are missing. Assuming the transmission is legal, that is, he is not illegally rebroadcasting the signal from another source, and until the FCC investigates and determines what other actions need be taken to reduce the broadcast interference over the neighbor's TV and radio signals, the only regulation he may be violating is broadcasting across restricted hours once he has been notified of the problem.

97.121 Restricted operation.

(a) If the operation of an amateur station causes general interference to the reception of transmissions from stations operating in the domestic broadcast service when receivers of good engineering design, including adequate selectivity characteristics, are used to receive such transmissions, and this fact is made known to the amateur station licensee, the amateur station shall not be operated during the hours from 8 p.m. to 10:30 p.m., local time, and on Sunday for the additional period from 10:30 a.m. until 1 p.m., local time, upon the frequency or frequencies used when the interference is created.

(B ) In general, such steps as may be necessary to minimize interference to stations operating in other services may be required after investigation by the FCC.

Now this does not preclude good neighbor policy.

Edited by TotemLake

Sorry, as I'm not into Ham, I don't have a clue about rebroadcasting or selectivity characteristics. As I am an absolute novice to this hobby, it's quite possible I left out pertinent facts which might have helped you better understand the situation. The abridged version is: I described his behavior. FCC dude said it was illegal. FCC dude then said nothing would be done. Was it really illegal? Heck, I don't know. That's way outta my league. I just found it ironic that the agency designated to regulate these things refused to take action of any sort, against someone they claimed was violating their laws.

Makes me wonder if those folks using the lil' handhelds without a license really have that much to worry about.

To add insult to injury, after the operator slammed his door in my face, I went next door to speak with the complainant, and got to listen to the goober, (bleeding through the complainant's TV), talking about me, using language that would make a sailor blush. :o

Sorry, as I'm not into Ham, I don't have a clue about rebroadcasting or selectivity characteristics. As I am an absolute novice to this hobby, it's quite possible I left out pertinent facts which might have helped you better understand the situation. The abridged version is: I described his behavior. FCC dude said it was illegal. FCC dude then said nothing would be done. Was it really illegal? Heck, I don't know. That's way outta my league. I just found it ironic that the agency designated to regulate these things refused to take action of any sort, against someone they claimed was violating their laws.

Makes me wonder if those folks using the lil' handhelds without a license really have that much to worry about.

To add insult to injury, after the operator slammed his door in my face, I went next door to speak with the complainant, and got to listen to the goober, (bleeding through the complainant's TV), talking about me, using language that would make a sailor blush. :ph34r:

The enforcement issue FCC has is their budget gets cut way back in favor for some other pork barrel leaving them unable to chase every complaint. That being said, HAMs are pretty good about self policing. That's not to say this person wasn't a HAM in this case here, but in my short experience, HAMs are pretty careful about their language on the air and HAMs will triangulate offenders and report the offender's license when in violation. That license then becomes revoked and the person is no longer allowed to be licensed. I don't know if the equipment is subject to confiscation.

This person may have been a CBr and a lot of them have no qualms about using foul language across the airwaves. Aside from figuring out the frequency they're on, you can tell if you have a CBr or not. HAMs broadcast their call sign every few minutes in the form of something similar to what you see on my signature (KE7MDT). Most if not all CBrs will not have a call sign because they don't go after their broadcast license. They will usually have an alias for their handle. There are more differences but to the layman they become more subtle.

Edited by TotemLake