illegal hide

wildheart78us

I have come acros many hides in a certain area. I know for a fact that they are placed there without permission. is there someone i can contact to maybe get this person to maybe move their caches. there are posted no trespassing signs all over where this cache is located. i am afarid that if this person continues to put "illegal caches" out geocaching will be banned in this area. Im not sure if that can be done but its possible. Im not trying to be a trouble maker. but someone is going to get hurt or arrested for trespassing.

How do you know 100% for certain there is not adequate permission?? First contact the owner and ask the nature of the permission. If you do not get a satisfactory response - then place an SBA (Should Be Archived) log on the listing page stating what you know and have observed. Those logs go to a reviewer so they can take a second look at the listing.

You can also email the reviewer directly and tell them what you know - but plase do the owner the courtesy of trying to clear things up first.

1. You should first write to the cache owner and present your concerns. See if you're missing anything, like access from a different direction, or that it's the cache owner's property. Suggest changes to the cache description if this would help explain things for others.

2. If you receive no response or an unsatisfactory response from the cache owner, you can log a "needs archived" log on the cache page(s). This will alert a volunteer cache reviewer to come take a look at the situation. Provide a detailed explanation of your concerns in the log.

3. If you are reluctant to leave a log right on the cache page for any reason, you can write privately to the volunteer cache reviewer who publishes new cache listings in the same area.

4. If you are not sure who to write to, you can always write to contact @ geocaching.com with your concerns. Your inquiry will be forwarded to the right person.

I have come acros many hides in a certain area. I know for a fact that they are placed there without permission. is there someone i can contact to maybe get this person to maybe move their caches. there are posted no trespassing signs all over where this cache is located. i am afarid that if this person continues to put "illegal caches" out geocaching will be banned in this area. Im not sure if that can be done but its possible. Im not trying to be a trouble maker. but someone is going to get hurt or arrested for trespassing.
I would contact your local admin. You can find his/her name as the first log on those caches.

The only way you can know for certain that the caches have not been placed with permission is if you personally are the person who ought to have been asked for such permission - i.e. the land owner or manager (which of course you may well be, you haven't said).

So it would be polite to check with the cacher owner to find out if they do, in fact, have permission. If they have not, then you have already had plenty of good advice here as to what to do.

See if you're missing anything, like access from a different direction, or that it's the cache owner's property.

All the advice you've received so far is excellent.

Please think about Keystone's point above.

I placed a cache on some public property. The cache description did say, "about a 1 mile walk" - however the first two cachers to attempt it drove closer and closer until they were within .25 miles, facing a wall of heavily posted private property. Both of them contacted me, one in the most scalding terms, about how my hide was "bad for geocaching" and how I am the "kind of cacher to give geocaching a bad name"!

Another hide placed on a county preserve with permission (next to an FBI building) received multiple Needs Archived logs - all from people who decided to park in the paved FBI parking lot instead of the mud pit preserve parking and were royally chewed out by FBI security.

I'm wondering... if you have come across many hides in a certain area...

How come you have NO logged geocaches?

I noticed the smell of feet but I figured they were using that account to remain anonymous. Telling people bad stuff is uncomfortable for many. That's why I think it's better to contact the admin if you want to remain anonymous. The admin would know if permission was given or could contact the owner and point out something that has been brought up to him.

Treat it like the military. Run your concerns up the chain of command. Cache placer->admin->land owner/manager. Be courteous and there should not be any animosity generated.

By contacting the cache placer first you might just find out the he placed the cache on his own private property...and he simply needs to modify the cache descritption appropriately.

By immediately going over the head of the cache owner directly to admin then you are likely to make the cache placer mad at you directly.

I noticed the smell of feet but I figured they were using that account to remain anonymous. Telling people bad stuff is uncomfortable for many. That's why I think it's better to contact the admin if you want to remain anonymous. The admin would know if permission was given or could contact the owner and point out something that has been brought up to him.

Take my word for it, this is the way to handle something like this. With another account that is. There was a cacher in this area that had let many of his caches go unmaintained and many were missing. I contacted the owner about the missing caches and one that was behind no tresspassing signs. Not long after one of my caches disappeared. Later still the cache reappeared near where it was, with obvious signs that it had been bouncing around in someones trunk. Long story short, be careful whos feathers you ruffle.

And, our local state-run Wildlife Management Area has never taken down the No Trespassing signs that were there before they acquired the land.

That is true for a lot of the Suffolk County Parklands in Long Island as well. The county is constantly acquiring parcels of farmland and woods. Sometimes the "Parklands" signs and the "Posted" signs will be on trees right next to each other.

I own a Large lot of Wooded land that I was thinking about placing a cache on someday. I have it posted with no trespassing, no hunting signs. I would not take those down I have too many up in the trees but If Its my land and I put the Cache there would it matter if I left the signs up???

I own a Large lot of Wooded land that I was thinking about placing a cache on someday. I have it posted with no trespassing, no hunting signs. I would not take those down I have too many up in the trees but If Its my land and I put the Cache there would it matter if I left the signs up???

I would list it clearly on the cache page that you are the owner of the property. Then make up a little sign that says something on the order of "Cacher Friendly" or some such to post up with the no trespassing signs on the property. Even at that some will not want to do the cache.

Maybe you could get a couple of these geo5574bb.jpg and put them on the "No Trespassing" signs. Let the cache hunters know to follow the logos!

And, our local state-run Wildlife Management Area has never taken down the No Trespassing signs that were there before they acquired the land.

That is true for a lot of the Suffolk County Parklands in Long Island as well. The county is constantly acquiring parcels of farmland and woods. Sometimes the "Parklands" signs and the "Posted" signs will be on trees right next to each other.

There's a couple of examples quoted where "no tresspassing" doesn't always mean no tresspassing, and I know of another. The St. Lawrence Seaway Authority has posted many lands along the current or old abandoned channels of the Welland Canal in Ontario. But this is just for liability purposes, i.e. if you access this land, you do it at your own risk. They actually support geocaching. So the OP should definitely make sure the referenced cache or caches are "illegal".

As far as some of the other comments in the thread, I have found a cache on private property posted with a no tresspassing sign, and right below it is a sign with a geocaching symbol with the words "is OK". :laughing: I don't know what you'd do in a case with dozens of posted signs though.

Hi wildheart, I live in Lafayette which is not far from Sulphur. I have cached a lot in that area, feel free to email me if you want to discuss concerns in the area. I know a lot of the local cachers and would be glad to introduce you to them or pass the word along. I have run across a few poorly placed caches in my time in the area but almost all of them were easily addressed with the placers. MtnMan is a great reviewer and I am sure he would be glad to help you out as well.

Cheers,

Z

Oh also, if you are new we have a local forum at http://www.lageocachers.com

How do you know 100% for certain there is not adequate permission??

My guess is the OP is the person that permission should have been gotten from.

The original poster has made one post to this forum, and has "found" no geocaches. He/she probably found the geocache.com paper and came here to ask about it.

Again, that's my guess, but I bet I'm right.

The original poster has made one post to this forum, and has "found" no geocaches. He/she probably found the geocache.com paper and came here to ask about it.

That's an interesting possibility...

You may be right, but I would think that someone as forthright as the OP would have handled things directly if they were the person in charge of that area.

If a land manger/owner wants caches on their property to have specific permission, the easiest thing to do is to email the cache owner, and the reviewer who posted the cache directly through the email links on the cache page.

From there, it's a simple thing to say

"Hey my name is J. Smith, I'm the (manger)(owner) of (this place where you put your cache) . I noticed a cache on the area I manage/own named _____ that has the geocaching ID xxxxxx. While I am not opposed to geocaches being on the property, I am reserving the right to have advance notice of all geocaches placed in this area. Our office is located at xx office street, blank town, st. We are open from (too early a.m.) until (too late p.m.) Monday-Friday, except federal holidays.

In the future, please contact me at xxx-xxx-xxxx or email me at JSmith@landmanger.place and I will be happy to discuss this matter further. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter."

The average reviewer will no doubt double check the accuracy of contact info, apologize for the inconvenience, and thank the land owner for writing to them. They will assure them they will make sure new submissions carry the proper authorization and contact the cache owner to suggest they get in touch with Mr/Ms Landmanager post haste. The average cacher will contact the manager pronto and do much the same. The land manager will be happy, the reviewer will have the right contact info, and the cacher will get to keep their cache. All is well.

I haven't been able to contact the OP but will continue to try. I always feel that even if it is not my cache, I am a part of the present and future state of caching in my area. I don't want to be cache police, but will do my best to get the OP into conversation with the placer if I can get more information from them.

I know for a fact that I don't know all the facts about these caches or most others that I seek. Your first step is to ask the cache owner (since they are responsible for the caches) if there is a valid access to get to the caches because the land is posted all around. I've found more than a few posted all directions that I could find, but not posted at all for the right way in. In the end the cache was fine.