My Palm's on the way.

Miragee is on the mark, as usual. The premium membership will greatly speed your downloading and allow you to better use GSAK. Cachemate is essential to use on the Palm. Don't forget to go to www.Palm.com and get the latest version software for your unit, along with the Palm Desktop and Sync software. Free downloads there.

Premium membership

GSAK

Cachemate

Also, make sure you go to Palm's website and download the latest edition (v4.14e) of their desktop software if you want to be able to sync with Vista on the PC/laptop......if you have XP you should be fine with bundled software with the 505.

John

Premium membership

GSAK

Cachemate

Also, make sure you go to Palm's website and download the latest edition (v4.14e) of their desktop software if you want to be able to sync with Vista on the PC/laptop......if you have XP you should be fine with bundled software with the 505.

John

Maybe so for the 505, but it was the opposite for me, my Palm TX and Windows XP. The bundled software for the Palm TX I bought was for Vista, as I found out later. After 4 days of downloading the supposedly correct software for Palm TX and XP from the Palm site, and uninstalling all versions because they would not HotSync, I phoned palm support (if still under warranty phone 1-866-260-2178) and they advised me that the software bundled with the Palm TX was for Vista. They directed me to a site that I hadn't come across before, and advised me to download V4.1.4e. I did what they told me, and it worked. The download of v4.1.4e can be found at:

http://www.palm.com/us/support/downloads/windesk414e.html

I hope I got it correct.

We agree, can't beat the three way combo-deal.....

Premium membership

GSAK

Cachemate

Those three for less than a tank of gas for me..

Oh yes, and a pc..

Ok, I did all of the above, except the gas. What a SLICK DEAL! looks like the total cost, Palm and all was $108

I wish I'd gone the premium membership long ago...

As for the PC, no sweat. 3 laptops, 2 desktops lying around the house. :(:D

I cached for several years using a Palm m515, a Magellan GPS Companion, and a Palm program called GeoNiche. Not only can you do paperless geocaching, you can do it all on your Palm.

The GPS companion is a GPS built into a cradle that the m515 PDA snaps into.

GeoNiche is a Palm application just for geocaching. It can be configured and customized to an amazing degree. It comes with a java-based program called EasyNiche that lets you convert and then load .loc or .gpx files into your Palm. It's a very elegant solution.

4179VMX5EYL._AA280_.jpgGeoNiche-0.gif

Palm m515 with GPS Companion . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . GeoNiche screen shot

So a Palm M515 cost $50, the software costs $25, and the GPS costs $100 (no maps). Grand Total is $175.

For that price is a Garmin Legend ($100 includes maps), and an older cheaper Palm (maybe $30) runny Smittyware ($8) still a better bargain? Grand total is $138.

I cached for several years using a Palm m515, a Magellan GPS Companion, and a Palm program called GeoNiche. Not only can you do paperless geocaching, you can do it all on your Palm.

The GPS companion is a GPS built into a cradle that the m515 PDA snaps into.

GeoNiche is a Palm application just for geocaching. It can be configured and customized to an amazing degree. It comes with a java-based program called EasyNiche that lets you convert and then load .loc or .gpx files into your Palm. It's a very elegant solution.

4179VMX5EYL._AA280_.jpgGeoNiche-0.gif

Palm m515 with GPS Companion . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . GeoNiche screen shot

. . . For that price is a Garmin Legend ($100 includes maps), and an older cheaper Palm (maybe $30) runny Smittyware ($8) still a better bargain?

You can find m500/505/515s for $30 if you look. Cachemate is a tinkertoy compared to GeoNiche. Were we talking about caching on the cheap, or the most streamlined caching experience?

. . . For that price is a Garmin Legend ($100 includes maps), and an older cheaper Palm (maybe $30) runny Smittyware ($8) still a better bargain?

You can find m500/505/515s for $30 if you look. Cachemate is a tinkertoy compared to GeoNiche. Were we talking about caching on the cheap, or the most streamlined caching experience?

Just for the sake of saying it, here's my total$$$, Palm M505 on E-bay, in the original box with all the original stuff was $35.00 + $15.00 UPS, GSAK is $20 ? Cachemate $8. Magellan 210, new last year, I don't remember.

All the hours of enjoyment? PRICELESS!

Edited by goodwrench00