Garmin Topo 2008

I currently own Garmin Topo 3.02 and DeLorme Topo 5. I use the Garmin software on my 60 CSX, Vista, and Rino and the DeLorme software on my laptop and home computer. Is there any reason for me to buy Topo 2008 since it still has less detail than the DeLorme or USGA data available? Come on Garmin we need more detail.. :)

Since Garmins topo offerings, well, just arent getting much better over time, why don't you make your own maps? Everything you need, instructions, programs, data is available online. There is a movement afoot to generate highly detailed maps (20ft contours) in many states for downloading FREE. You may want to check these forums and see if anyone is actively working on the state your from.

I know its time consuming and most people don't have that kind of time or technical know-how to produce their own maps. BUT, as an alternative, you could support one of the many people that are building these maps either with some processed data or a with small monetary donation. Just a thought.

Necessity is the mother of invention. Since Garmin wont produce better detail in their topo information, we have to produce it ourselves. I truly believe that the recent surge in personal map making for Garmin GPS's has been born, in large part, from Garmins lack of advancement in this area. They seem to be able to come out with a new City Nav every year but these Topo products crawl along with minimal improvements. Garmin, are you listening? If we can produce superior maps in our perverbial garage, then Garmin, with all of your engineers and corporate structure should be able to.

But they don't, so we do.

If Garmin would only take the time, add some more freely available detail to their maps, IMO they could blow the competition away. Seriously! Alas, it must all come down to the bottom line which is, I'm guessing, the market for street maps is exponentially larger than the market for topo maps.

I digress. Addressing the question, If the 3.02 topo version is meeting your needs, then there is no need to upgrade. IMO The new Topo2008 is not that much better (unless you plan on purchasing a Garmin Colorado).

Edited to correct Typo's

Edited by yogazoo
I am looking to purchase the Garmin Topo maps but have a question regarding the download. How large of an area can I realistically expect to be able to load on a 2gb data card? I want to load both the topo maps and city navigator.

You can load all of the continental U.S. in City Navigator NT plus about 1/4 of the U.S. in topo to a 2GB card. The problem you run into is that you are limited to 2,025 map segments regardless of the size of your memory card. (2,025 map segments or a full memory card - whichever occurs first). Here are a few other threads that have discussed this issue in more detail.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=175481&hl=topo++segments

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=176838&hl=topo++segments

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=topo++segments