Talk me into a 60CSx?

Hello all,

I am in the same boat softball29 was. I know the 60csx is likely the unit I want, but I'm waiting for "something" to convince me to make the purchase. I've read too many reviews, cross-referenced on multiple sites and what I could dig up here. Have come across mixed reviews of every unit you could possibly name.

The main criteria for me is accuracy. I want to go on a hike and have the unit tell me exactly how far I walked. Have read some unfortunate things about the Legend/Vista hcx units being flaky in this regard. So, does the 60csx reliably deliver accurate distances (as far as you can tell)?

Also, I'm curious to how the 60csx got to be the gold standard over the 76csx. Other than the way they look, I'm having a hard time telling how they're different.

I'm glad to hear the positive things about this unit. My wife bought me a Csx for my B-Day and it should show up in the mail anytime. I look forward to playing with it and figuring it all out.

you sir have an AWESOME wife.

oh and not to rub it in or anything...I took a long lunch today and drove home...literally met the UPS man at the door. I have to admit...its one of the only men i get excited to see.

Tracking Number: 1Z A72 28W 02 7685 641 6

Type: Package

Delivered On: 03/19/2008

12:29 P.M.

Hello all,

I am in the same boat softball29 was. I know the 60csx is likely the unit I want, but I'm waiting for "something" to convince me to make the purchase. I've read too many reviews, cross-referenced on multiple sites and what I could dig up here. Have come across mixed reviews of every unit you could possibly name.

The main criteria for me is accuracy. I want to go on a hike and have the unit tell me exactly how far I walked. Have read some unfortunate things about the Legend/Vista hcx units being flaky in this regard. So, does the 60csx reliably deliver accurate distances (as far as you can tell)?

Also, I'm curious to how the 60csx got to be the gold standard over the 76csx. Other than the way they look, I'm having a hard time telling how they're different.

To your first question, AFAICT, the 60CSx gives accurate trip computer info. It is a really excellent unit and is very solid. About the biggest problem I have found with it, is that it tends to overly favor interstate highways when building routes.

The only differences between the 60CSx and the 76CSx are cosmetic--Button Placement, form factor, and float or not. The 60 got to be the gold standard because of marketing--it was marketed as a hiking unit, whereas the 76 is a marine unit.

The only differences between the 60CSx and the 76CSx are cosmetic--Button Placement, form factor, and float or not.

These are not cosemetic but differences but ergonomic differences. The buttons on the 76CSx are better placed for ease of use becuase when you hold it in your hand the buttons fall in such a way that you can balance it easily in one hand and press a button with your thumb. On the 60CSx when you hold the unit in a normal way in one hand your thumb is not near any button. Not only that but the scroll button on the 76CSx is a completely different design that does not have the "spongy" imprecise feel of the 60CSx, in fact it has a tactile feedback which should always have been on the 60CSx. The main problem with the 76 is that it looks a bit old fashioned, like a bakelite gps from the 1940's, but the 60 has a much more macho look with it's faux 2 way transmitter look.

Glad you went with the CSX, you'll truly enjoy it. Rechargeables are great, just select the NIMH setting on the GPS. I like the 60CSX, the buttons are easier to work than even the 76CSX. And as for the comments about getting a CX because the compass is not needed, I just don't get it, it's a navigational tool, a compass is the most important part. I had older GPS for years and always wondered why they would make them without a compass. It was a pain to try to walk to get a reading of which direction you were facing, especially when bushwhacking. CSX I just stand still and it points me right towards the cache.

You'll now know why most told you to get the 60CSX, it'll give you travelling freedom like never before.

P.S. get at least the topo maps, you won't regret that either.

We just received our 60CSx and we love it. I know you've already purchased yours, but I wanted to add our two cents in here.

We previously used a car navigator (Mio) for Geocaching. It worked great, but it wasn't sensitive enough for caches in the woods. It has taken some getting used to using the 60CSx. Compared to the Mio the CSx is "jumpy" and is sensitive to how you hold it as it uses the electronic compass. My advice is to be patient and before very long it will be second nature.

The only complaint I would have is that the Geocaching feature is very simple. Right now we are officially paperless, but we're using three pieces of electronics.

1) Mio for road navigation until we get the maps for the Garmin.

2) Garmin 60CSx for finding the cache.

3) CacheMate on Palm for writing / transferring logs to the computer.

Cheers!

DJ

Glad you went with the CSX, you'll truly enjoy it. Rechargeables are great, just select the NIMH setting on the GPS. I like the 60CSX, the buttons are easier to work than even the 76CSX. And as for the comments about getting a CX because the compass is not needed, I just don't get it, it's a navigational tool, a compass is the most important part. I had older GPS for years and always wondered why they would make them without a compass. It was a pain to try to walk to get a reading of which direction you were facing, especially when bushwhacking. CSX I just stand still and it points me right towards the cache.

You'll now know why most told you to get the 60CSX, it'll give you travelling freedom like never before.

P.S. get at least the topo maps, you won't regret that either.

The Topo maps are something that I'll be looking into getting. At least for my neck of the woods. Looks like something I could really use. Road maps and such I don't need because I have the TomTom for the car. :laughing:

I got the 76CSx because it FLOATS if you drop it overboard.

The 60CSx would become an anchor without a line tied to it.

I have read many, many times that they are the same internally and perform the same. Just different in the way they look and the button placement.

But for some odd reason, the 76CSx is always listed for more money !

Tim

Edited by pratzert

Sweet. It came via DHL today. Been messing arounf with it a little, but have to get ready and go to my niece's play tonight. I'll mess with it later when I get home, but likely won't go on any geocache hunts until this weekend. (Friday morning, maybe, if I am feeling better by then).

Saturday is a full day, hopefully, so I'll be loading these into it!

Smaller than I thought and it's really sweet. Glad I went with the color screen!

I have been messing around with mine since it got here. Except I only paid 230 for mine with shipping. I do have a question to ask for those who have owned the 60Cx for a while. Are any of you using Geobuddy? Or something else to download your hints onto your unit? I amd just not into the steep learning curve of GSAK.

I got the 76CSx because it FLOATS if you drop it overboard.

The 60CSx would become an anchor without a line tied to it.

I have read many, many times that they are the same internally and perform the same. Just different in the way they look and the button placement.

But for some odd reason, the 76CSx is always listed for more money !

Tim

Put the 60 in a neoprene jacket and it floats.

I like seeing the total ascent information on the S models (Barometric Altimeter).

It gives a much more accurate reading than one from Satellite information or getting it from overlaying on a topo map (DeLorme, National Geographic or whatever) and doing a profile.

I of course am in the camp that the logical choice is the 76 style....

Better with gloves (larger buttons), larger cursor pad

Better for entering data when it is laying on flat surface

Easier for me to hold and enter data one handed w/o worrying about it dropping. (younger, smaller handed people may feel otherwise.)