Talk me into a 60CSx?

OK, I should be getting my tax cash back in a week or so and plan on ordering a GPS system.

Dell has these on sale and I think, if I talk to the right person, I can get them to match Amazon's price, which would be bonus to me as I can use my preferred account with them. I kind of wanted to stick around 200-220, but if I could get Dell to match, I'd have a hard time not pulling the trigger.

My goal is to use this mainly for geocaching, some summer hiking/camping and some photo outings. For travel on the road, I have a TomTom, so maps aren't a big deal to me.

So, I come to you the geocaching community and ask... sell me on this piece of electronics and tell me why I should spend nearly 300 bucks on a GPS unit? And if not -- which one should I get and why?

Thanks for any thoughts/help!

I have done the homework. I've done a lot of it. I know what it's about. However, I'm one of those guys who wait forever to spend money and sometimes if I see other people's thoughts and all, I jump more.

Furthermore, I don't know every little thing about these pieces of equipment and sometimes people who know more about them can put better insight into them, hence why I posted here.

Then feel free to ask any questions you have. What are you looking for? What are you unsure about, etc.. We are happy to help those, that try to help themselves.

Overall, bottom line, the 60CSx is a GREAT UNIT! You won't go wrong with it.

Anyways, I gotta grab mine and go get a FTF. Good luck with your purchase, the 60CSx, will serve you well.

Then feel free to ask any questions you have. What are you looking for? What are you unsure about, etc.. We are happy to help those, that try to help themselves.

Overall, bottom line, the 60CSx is a GREAT UNIT! You won't go wrong with it.

Anyways, I gotta grab mine and go get a FTF. Good luck with your purchase, the 60CSx, will serve you well.

Well, I live in a rural area of upstate New York, so there are plenty of caches in the woods. I want to make sure I can keep somewhat of a signal in trees, even if not all the time. I just want my chances to make sure it will give me a shot to find these things in the woods!

My big thing is this -- I'm going to use it just for geocaching/some hiking/occasional photo trips. With all the bells and whistles, is it really worth a $300 investment? I know the basics of what it does and have read other things, but not sure on some.

I don't need the city and street maps, and I don't personally think I need the topo maps, so the device should work quite well out of the box, no?

My big question to those who really know these things top and bottom -- why is this better than, say, the 180 eTrex Legend? That's what I'm trying to figure out -- why is it worth another $100? From those who really know these things.

Cause heck, with not knowing a ton about them -- even though I've researched -- I would think the $85 eTrex Legend one would be worth it, but I've had many friends tell me to spend a little more up front and I'll be happier in the long run.

Thanks for the comments so far. I appreciate it.

In my research, I've come across this: Garmin GPS 60 GPS.

Wondering how this one compares to the 60CSx? Seems like the 60 would be pretty solid with the external antenna and all and maybe suited well for my needs. Any thoughts on a comparison? Thanks!

Also, I got peeking at the Garmin GPSMap 60 Handheld GPS and that seems like it would actually be a perfect one (though no color screen, which seems OK to me) and it's right in around 200 on Amazon.

Edited by softball29

hey dude, I own both the garmin GPSMAP 60C as well as the Garmin GPSMAP 60CX, as well as other older units. You need to understand that the new GPSMAP 60CX and the GPSMAP 60CSX both use a new chipset that finds the satellites quicker as well as hold the signal much better in both city and forest. They also allow the use of micro-sd cards capable of holding complete maps of the US, both Topo and street, etc. The CSX also has an altimeter and electronic compass. I don't need these features, but some like them.

Stay away from older units because they use the older chipsets and really suck in the deep woods. BTW color really improves screen clarity.

Edited by bigdog999
Save $$ and get the Vista HCx instead. Same accuracy aka chipset, smaller,lighter, better battery life.

I got mine at nerds.net for $212 shipped in January.

It's not the same chipset. The 60csx uses the Sirf chip.

I like the 60csx for use in the car because the buttons are on the front for easier access.

Edited by TrailGators

I have the 60CSx and the Vista HCx and a Foretrex 101. The difference in reception with the newer (Sirf or Meditek) are truely amazing. I'd recommend that you stay with one of the H series units for the reception in the woods. If you have an automotive unit then you really don't need the city navigator maps but for being out in the woods TOPO is a huge help. Many times I've gone looking for caches in the woods without consulting the TOPO maps and found myself starting on the wrong side of a stream or with a swamp between me and the cache that the TOPO would have been clear on. That's the main reason to get a mapping unit if you don't plan to use it for car navigation which I do. If you think you'd ever want to use it for road routing I'd definately go with the 60CSx over the Vista as the button placement and screen size (as opposed to resolution) are IMO a benefit for in car usage. If not step down to one of the lower priced H series and that only if you don't think the built in electronic compass has value for you. Again I have it and like it but other's opinions vary significantly on that topic. One final thing to consider is that I believe the basic Etrex yellow that doesn't map also uses a serial cable for downloading caches which on most new computers will require a USB to serial conversion cable which can be a problem.

Trooper

If you have an automotive unit then you really don't need the city navigator maps but for being out in the woods TOPO is a huge help. Many times I've gone looking for caches in the woods without consulting the TOPO maps and found myself starting on the wrong side of a stream or with a swamp between me and the cache that the TOPO would have been clear on.

Trooper

See, maybe this is some of things I just don't get with the GPS systems and that's where I get confused. :)

Say I get the 60CSx -- it won't show me or tell me that there's a river/stream or swamp? I'd have to spend an extra 100 bucks on a program to actually show me that?

If you have an automotive unit then you really don't need the city navigator maps but for being out in the woods TOPO is a huge help. Many times I've gone looking for caches in the woods without consulting the TOPO maps and found myself starting on the wrong side of a stream or with a swamp between me and the cache that the TOPO would have been clear on.

Trooper

See, maybe this is some of things I just don't get with the GPS systems and that's where I get confused. :)

Say I get the 60CSx -- it won't show me or tell me that there's a river/stream or swamp? I'd have to spend an extra 100 bucks on a program to actually show me that?

None of the GPSs show you that. The maps you load in them show you that and yes they are not cheap. The road maps do show bodies of water. Edited by TrailGators

I prefer the 60CSx, but then I use mine for car navigation, boating, ATVing, Hunting, and custom mapping. To me the buttons are easier to use while driving and on the ATV and operating the boat. If just using for geocaching then the Vista HCx or Legend HCx you may prefer just because of their smaller size. I've been very happy with my 60CSx and would get it again, but if you want to save some $ then go with the Vista or Legend just be sure to go with the HCx model. I think you definitely would want topo.

Walmart: Vista HCx - $228; Legend - $194.

Edited by eaparks

You might want to consider the Delorme PN-20. I tried one out and was impressed, but the auto routing capability is pretty much non-existant. I exchanged it for a 60csx as I do need the auto-routing feature. Once you add in the maps and memory, it's quite a bit more than the PN-20.

The default mapset it just that, a DEFAULT Map, It pretty much covers major roads, rivers and lakes etc.. But if you want the detail, your definately going to have to upgrade the maps. If you are geocaching, TOPO is a MUST In my own personal opinion. Topo saved my rear not too long ago, when a 12 foot wide river stopped me from getting from one cache to another. I used the TOPO to pan along and see where a slim point was, in which to cross, and it worked great, you can also use it for scaling a hill or mountainous area to see the best way to approach, etc.. It's well worth getting, for the IN THE WOODS, type of stuff.

As for City Navigator, you don't need it, unless you want turn by turn driving directions. If you have a NUVI in the car, or something like it, don't get it for the 60CSx, your wasting money.

How does it fare in dense wooded area? Great, I've not lost a signal yet.

It all depends on how you want to geocache, sure it has features I won't use, but it's got WAY MORE that I WILL USE. You can certainly go cheaper, but what you pay for, is what you get. I think this is the one to get right now. I'm glad I didn't get a Colorado. Maybe in a year or 2, but right now, the 60CSx is the cream of the crop.

Good luck, with whatever you decide to do.

Softball, Go with the 60CSx you will spend alittle nore but will have no regrets. It has been on scene long enough to have all the bugs worked out and you rarely see a negative remark about it.

The only question is whether you need an electronic compass and or altimeter? If you don't need those feature go with the Cs or the PN-20. For years I used them without it but now love it. I hate starting off the wrong direction. With the 60CSx that is a thing of the past.

Did you find out whether Dell does a price match? I'm curious because I have a Dell account, too.

No price match today.... he said they were already selling at a loss :anibad:

I have (had) $125 in coupons/gift cards, so I will have a new 60CSx and a 2GB microSD™ card delivered for $258. Obviously, I bought from Dell because of the coupons, will buy the accs from a dedicated GPS site.

I wanted the Colorado, but will wait... the 60CSX is a proven platform, with a ton of owners and info.

Edited by eastwa

As previous owners of GPS12, etrex, vista, GPSMAP60CS and now a GPSMAP 60CSX, I can't say enough good things about the CSX. If you can afford it, I'd go for the 60CSX as it will allow you to expand your needs. If you go with a cheaper model, then you will have to pay to get the increased functionality present in the CSX. As has been said, buy the maps.

Looking down the road, I've considered the Colorado, but I've only seen one problem after another with them, so I'm holding off on that model.

Did you find out whether Dell does a price match? I'm curious because I have a Dell account, too.

No price match today.... he said they were already selling at a loss :anibad:

Did you talk to someone on the phone or online? You need to talk to someone online in the electronics side. They'll work with you. And if not, sign off it and try the next person. You can get someone that knows how to price match. I'll attempt it Monday when someone is on that.

I found the 60 Csx for $224 here : http://superdigitalmedia.com/product_info....roducts_id=1404 . It seems like a good price. I don't own one but the Colorado seems like a giant step sideways to me, I'd go with the Csx. :(

If it looks like a rat... smells like a rat...

Places like this are to be very way of. As someone who is a photographer and buys a lot of camera stuff, places like this are golden for the ol' bait-and-switch or something else. Always compare prices to say Amazon or Buy.com or something like that -- if the prices you found are more than, say, 5-10 bucks below Amazon, it's likely a scam of some sorts and I'd go with serious caution if buying.

Had another question on this GPS.

I've been using a friend's Rino and inputting coords (like for a multi-cache) has been extremly tough and frustrating because if you go to change a waypoint, sometimes it wouldn't allow me to type over a number.

Such as if the coords to the first were:

and now I needed

It wouldn't say let me change the 2 to a 5 or something along those lines. I had to basically ditch the second part of a multi-cache because the Rino was making it too impossible to put things in.

What's it like on the 60CSx? Easier? Same? Worse? Thanks.

The Format you are using is different from that used by this site and it won't accept numbers that don't match the Format. For this site, you need to be using Decimal Minutes: DDD MM.mmm and the WGS84 Datum. Changing the numbers in the field is easy on the 60CSx, just as it is on my Vista HCx. :(

I live in the same region as you and I own a 60CSX, and I can tell you from experience, That the 60CSX is an awesome unit. It has never let me down, from car navigation to hiking and to geocaching. If you already own a GPS for your vehicle, it can be a back-up, or you can save some dough and purchase a Vista HCX. Both units have a barometric altimeter which would help to increase your accuracy. Using the altimeter in conjunction with a TOPO map will help in finding your cache in our mountainous region. I hope my .02 cents helps. :(

Ordered one today. Got myself free overnight shipping, so should have it by tomorrow or Wednesday, pending when it leaves their plant. Sweet deal. Hoping to do some serious caching this weekend, so I'll have time to learn it!

amazon perhaps?

I just ordered mine just this morning also, and after reading your post, we are very alike in how we approach a purchase

Nah, I ended up paying a little more for it and going through Dell. I have a preferred account with them and, to be honest, I didn't have the $300 in hand to do it through Amazon right now.

I tried to dicker Dell down, but no dough. I got them as low as they'll possibly go (which was basically what the website shows with a current discount), then I got them to give me free overnight shipping. If you figure the overnight $$ cost with Amazon or the taxes/shipping with Walmart, I'll end up paying about 50-60 bucks more for it, but in the end, it's better for me because I don't need the $300 in hand.

Just went and tracked and I should be getting this via DHL tomorrow. So, I wanted to thank everyone on here who helped with thoughts/ideas and everything else. I look forward to this new GPSr and can't wait to use it this weekend.

Of course, I need to kick this cold I have right now before I want to venture out, but hopefully by the weekend!

Now, something quick -- should I not use rechargeable batteries for this? Seems like some have problems with them? Should I just buy some old fashioned Energizers?

<snip>

Now, something quick -- should I not use rechargeable batteries for this? Seems like some have problems with them? Should I just buy some old fashioned Energizers?

I recommend the Rayovac "Hybrid" batteries. You can get four of them for less than $10.00 at Target and can get two AAAs and two AAs Rayovac batteries, with a charger, for $9.99. There are other brands of "Hybrid" batteries that are also better than regular NiMH rechargeable batteries.

Softball, I'm sure you will be very pleased with your choice. I know a lot of folks use recharge batteries but I have not trouble with good throw aways. They last for days and I am constantly pushing buttons and power up and down.. Pretty easy to just through in another set and keep hiking..

<snip>

I recommend the Rayovac "Hybrid" batteries. You can get four of them for less than $10.00 at Target and can get two AAAs and two AAs Rayovac batteries, with a charger, for $9.99. There are other brands of "Hybrid" batteries that are also better than regular NiMH rechargeable batteries.

Ditto, the above. The Rayovac "Hybrid" are a good buy for the money. I personnally use 32 (AA & AAA) of them in various things and have been well pleased with them.

I'm awaiting DHL to get here with the new GPS. That being said, I have to stop at Wal-Mart later tonight, so maybe I'll pick up a pack or two of the Rayovac hybrids. I was just reading about them and they sound excellent.

You won't be disappointed with the Rayovac hybrids. Oh, by the way Rayovac knows how to support it's products with good customer service, too. A couple of years ago I started buying their 15min. Nimh rechargeables and over a period of a year I had accumulated 16 AA and 16 AAA. Needless to say they all didn't last (fried) from the fast charging. Talked to Rayovac's customer service and they said send them all (32) to them and they would replace all 32 with their new "hybrids", free of charge including shipping. I was very pleasantly surprised by their offer. They impressed me with their customer service.

Edited by eaparks

Go with the 60Cx model. You wont use the compass...or, will use it in a limited capacity. Get a nice, REAL compass if you need to use one. Save the $50 or so, go with the cheaper model without the compass.

I was going to say the same thing. But I believe the OP has already ordered. I had a 60Cx and loved it. It died a horrible accidental death. So I ordered a 60Csx from Walmart when Garmin had the 50$ rebate going. Ended up paying about 270 for the Csx so not a bad deal. I haven't found much use for the electronic compass, or much of the other features the 'S' model has over the cx.

Either way you won't be disappointed. Great products

Sweet. It came via DHL today. Been messing arounf with it a little, but have to get ready and go to my niece's play tonight. I'll mess with it later when I get home, but likely won't go on any geocache hunts until this weekend. (Friday morning, maybe, if I am feeling better by then).

Saturday is a full day, hopefully, so I'll be loading these into it!

Smaller than I thought and it's really sweet. Glad I went with the color screen!