Garmin GPSmap60CSx and Golf

Does anyone have any thoughts of trying to use a GPSmap 60Csx for golf? Could I create waypoints to the center of the greens of the course I play, then use those distances to see how far away I am?...

Well of course you can. That's what a handheld GPS does. But, it will always be the distance to the center of the green, not the distance to the pin. You can also set the units to display the distance in yards, and you can enter the holes (waypoints) in order as a route. As you approach the GZ of each green, the GPS will automatically switch to display the distance to the next hole. Navigating to the 19th hole is optional.

Does anyone have any thoughts of trying to use a GPSmap 60Csx for golf? Could I create waypoints to the center of the greens of the course I play, then use those distances to see how far away I am?

Plus I don't have to pay the sky caddie company a monthly fee.

That is exactly what I'm gonna do with my blue legend when I get my 60CSx,thought it should work just fine,there's enough waypoints on it to save a bunch of courses........

I do it all the time, and this year will be using my vista hcx, as it hides easily in my golf bag. My buddy and I occasionally have long drive competitions, and it's nice to know exactly how far you really hit. Each tee box and green are waypointed, and once in the fairway, a couple button taps tells you exactly how far in yards you are from where you teed off.

We quickly found that percieved distance is often much greater than actual distance!

I always thought any pay-gps service like sky caddie was a waste, as with regular gps you can apply updates on the fly. Courses will often move things for maintenance purposes and so it's easy to update.

I've also tested distances the course states on the scorecard vs. actual distance determined by the GPS. Accounting for things like dog-leg holes, the distances are sometimes wrong by 60-80 yards, even on some of the better golf courses.

Just my two cents! Good luck. If you're like me, you may also need your GPS to navigate your way in and out of the thicket when hitting a 60 degree slice off the tee :)

I do it all the time, and this year will be using my vista hcx, as it hides easily in my golf bag. My buddy and I occasionally have long drive competitions, and it's nice to know exactly how far you really hit. Each tee box and green are waypointed, and once in the fairway, a couple button taps tells you exactly how far in yards you are from where you teed off.

We quickly found that percieved distance is often much greater than actual distance!

I always thought any pay-gps service like sky caddie was a waste, as with regular gps you can apply updates on the fly. Courses will often move things for maintenance purposes and so it's easy to update.

I've also tested distances the course states on the scorecard vs. actual distance determined by the GPS. Accounting for things like dog-leg holes, the distances are sometimes wrong by 60-80 yards, even on some of the better golf courses.

Just my two cents! Good luck. If you're like me, you may also need your GPS to navigate your way in and out of the thicket when hitting a 60 degree slice off the tee :)

Oh, never thought about checking driving distances with the gps'r. My brother in-law and I are gonna be exchanging some money this summer over who is longer off the tee!

Can I set up my GPSmap 60Csx to read the distance to the next waypoint in yards rather than feet and miles?

And yes, I threeputt too much and this unit will help me get out of the woods and bogs from wayward tee shots. Since, I now see my self swinging for the fences trying to determine how far I hit the ball.

Can I set up my GPSmap 60Csx to read the distance to the next waypoint in yards rather than feet and miles?

Thanks for carefully reading my post above.

Well of course you can. That's what a handheld GPS does. But, it will always be the distance to the center of the green, not the distance to the pin. You can also set the units to display the distance in yards, and you can enter the holes (waypoints) in order as a route. As you approach the GZ of each green, the GPS will automatically switch to display the distance to the next hole. Navigating to the 19th hole is optional.

Thanks for carefully reading my post above.

I know it can be done. Just not sure how to do it?

But, it will always be the distance to the center of the green, not the distance to the pin.

The way I golf, I'm not sure fine distinctions like distance to pin vs center of the green makes much difference in most cases :rolleyes:. I've thought about doing this myself, but haven't had a chance to golf in the last couple years :laughing:.

Menu - Setup - Units - set Distance/Speed to Yards

I was on the course yesterday with my csx. I went into the menu and changed the units to yards. This is my problem;

while looking at the compass screeen WITHOUT a way point selected. The "distance to next" shows yds., but of course is no actual distance number displayed since I have not selected a way point.

When I select a way point and go back to the compass page the "distnace to next" now shows feet not yards.

What am I doing wrong?

Patience Daniel son, patience.