Posting caches: degree button

ssgeo83

I've noticed a few people have used * for degrees in the description of their caches.

I would like to request a degree button for users who would like to post coordinates with the degree symbol in their description.

alt + 0176 will get you the degree symbol. °

For one thing, you can't copy and paste coordinates with an asterisk directly into Google Earth. Mostly minor things like that.

Does Google Earth even need a degree symbol?

This format: N 33 34.6660 W 112 7.8880 seems to work for me

No, it doesn't. The point is that if an asterisk is used in place of the degree symbol, Google Earth doesn't recognize the coords. While not required, if the degree symbol is used, the functionality still works.

Bottom line: NO symbol is necessary, but substituting the asterisk for the proper symbol can create a problem.

alt + 0176 will get you the degree symbol. °

It's option-0 (zero) on the Mac. I personally find that a little easier to remember than the Windows equivalent :anibad: .

Actually, on the Mac, Option+0 is not a degree symbol: º

To get the degree symbol, use Shift+Option+8: °

Well, you're right- I've been doing it wrong this whole time <_< . And I never even thought there was a difference. Turns out that opt-0 gives you the "masculine ordinal indicator". Yeah, I had never heard of it either.

Edited by DavidMac

Well, you're right- I've been doing it wrong this whole time <_< . And I never even thought there was a difference. Turns out that opt-0 gives you the "masculine ordinal indicator". Yeah, I had never heard of it either.

A lot of people seem to think Option+0 is the degree symbol. But I have been using Macs since 1984, and it has always been Option+Shift+8. Google Maps will not recognize the Option+0 symbol.