Longest hike for one cache?

Longest hike I've pulled so far is 12 miles straight through. It wasn't for one cache though at Stevens Pass, Washington State.

18-20 mile hike in to get a cache should up the terrain to 4 or 4.5, an 18-20 mile roundtrip hike shouldn't go higher than 3.5-4. There's a contentous bunch of opinions on how to rate the difficulty and will let you sort that out on your own, but using Clayjar's rating method should help you out.

Longest was Mica Mountain, a 14-mile roundtrip with 4800' of elevation gain. I've done more total cache-hiking mileage in a day--19 miles was about the max--but the OP specified one cache, so Mica is it. Had two less-experienced hikers along on the trip, and they were amazingly tough. Mind over matter.

The high-mileage caches have generally not been the toughest. I've had several sub-10-mile days that were real tests of endurance owing to very difficult terrain and/or heat.

Check out "RACOON LOOP.....HIKING 20 MILES FOR ONE SMILEY?" (GCXAPJ) It a new one in Western PA and I have been working on it a little bit every day. This is the most well prepared cache I have done so far. Great hiking in an awsum state park with a history lesson at every stage.

I drove 812 miles in one day just to do a cache in NY!!! I left my house in WV at 3:15 in the morning and was home in time for a late supper!!! It was worth it too--- Check out BWT's phobia series-Acrophobia. (GCYK7H)

Longest was Mica Mountain, a 14-mile roundtrip with 4800' of elevation gain. I've done more total cache-hiking mileage in a day--19 miles was about the max--but the OP specified one cache, so Mica is it. Had two less-experienced hikers along on the trip, and they were amazingly tough. Mind over matter.

The high-mileage caches have generally not been the toughest. I've had several sub-10-mile days that were real tests of endurance owing to very difficult terrain and/or heat.

Technically, the last cachce on the hike was the cache to reach for. Instead of driving up to it and pulling it out of the wall, I (actually, a bunch of us) chose to do a through hike to get to it. The other caches on the way presented the path to take. ;)

13 miles round trip.It was an awesome hike through the big belt mountains here in montana.I brought my fishing pole because there were 3 mountain lakes located at the last part of the hike in.I caught some nice cutthroat trout.There is another cache in this general area that I plan on finding this summer...just a couple of miles from the cache"Grace Lake" that I found on this hike.

45 miles for one cache.

I feel like I'm doing a baby walk compared to some of the posted lengths. The most I've done is 8 miles and 7.4 miles. Both were round trips.

Hanakapiai Falls

May 15 by geospyder (2654 found)

Great hike - even if I did slip, slide and land flat on my back. Actually my pack probably saved me. I know my hiking stick stopped me just as my feet reached the water. Now I sport black and blue along with my tan. Sure glad I had a water purifier in my pack. I definitely drank a lot of water on this hike. Coming from the Nevada desert I'm used to heat but not the humidity. Took nothing - left a golden dollar coin. Thanks for the hide.

Troop 333 .... Humbug Trail

June 24 by geospyder (2654 found)

Too hot to try during the day especially with the smoke. Left the tent at 6am this morning. Discovered that I'd left my back pack at home ;-( Threw four water bottles in a plastic bag but again forgot something very essential for this trip as we found out - BUG REPELLENT! Bugs were so thick that our arms were more tired from trying to wave them away than our legs were from the hike.

The views would have been beautiful except there was a very heavy haze of smoke from all the fires in the surrounding hills. At the picnic area near the cache the mosquitoes were so thick it was a major chore to dig out the cache and try to sign the log without inhaling a few. To make matters worse - the container is sitting on a huge nest of lady bugs - thousands! Those little buggers bite!

While waving our hands like windmills in front of our face to keep the mosquitoes out of eyes, nose, mouth and ears we mis-read the sign and instead of going up hill (note the small twist on the arrow head) we went left. We were too busy trying to keep the mosquitoes off us to notice that the trail was considerably easier. It wasn't until I noticed that the water was one the wrong side and that the poison oak was red instead of green that we discovered that we were on the wrong trail. How far wrong? Exactly one mile! Long story short the 5.4 mile hike became 7.4 miles - BUT WE GOT FTF! Took the Geocaching patch and left a golden dollar coin and probably a pint or more of blood from those winged suckers. Thanks for the great adventure!

Does it count a own cache? :ph34r:

I Recently created a cache that involves a 17,4 miles (28 kms) along an old abandoned train track, side by side a river all the way. It is suggested to take the tent and all the stuff in the backpack to spent the night during the hike.

I already walked the course twice; one when the cache was placed, with the company of the co-author, and the other time, more recently, to better distribute the steps along the course (after consulting the reviewer).

This second time, I combined the 17, 4 miles walking with a 107 miles trip by train along the same river in a very touristic train trip - all the weekend traveling only by train and walk.

It this kind o numbers that I like. ;-)

Two days ago I hiked 1.86 miles each way to get the "Cady Moose cache". That sounds like peanuts, but it was in the California desert with a temperature of something over 100 degrees F. It took me 2 1/2 hours, due mostly to the heat and my running out of water on the way back in.

I'll have to look at a map to be sure, but it was about 11-12 miles round trip. Was rated a 2 which we completely agreed with. Wide open trail and mountain ridges with only light bushwacking. I don't think distance should have anything to do with terrain rating. If it's on a paved bike path I don't think it matters if it's 200 feet or 200 miles, it's still handicap accessible and a terrain rating of 1. :rolleyes:

Barney Lake Cache

This one is about an 8 mile hike roundtrip. Although we didn't really take the hike to cache specifically - we hike it every year, but it was a nice added bonus to find one up there.

Next year we're gonna try to hit this one at Snow Lake. It's about an 18 mile hike roundtrip - 11 months left to get in decent enough shape for it :laughing:

Edited by StClairC

15.4 miles in

11.6 miles out

It should of been lots less but due to mother nature, the river was too swollen for a crossing due to us getting 84% of that months average rainfall in the past four days. The previous wet weather also hampered our attempts at keeping this route a direct one because the lowlands were bogs that you just sunk knee deep into and to make progress was close to impossible, good old suction keeping us well and truly stuck. Then the thorns, omg the rotten nasty evil thorns, they forced us to abandon going too much off trail. The best part of the day was finding the cache and then crawling into my sleeping bag with a coffee. We managed a more straightforward route on the way back due us knowing that the lowlands were water logged so we had to haul a** up onto the ridgeline which made for some nice views and a rewarding walk back to where we hid the car.

You just have to love a good old hike, we never past a single sole and all we could hear was wildlife :huh:

The longest hike for one cache that comes to mind was a event hike. There was a Traditional micro at the end.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...=y&decrypt=

The event hike started out with about 14 people and only four completed the entire 52.3 km in one day (14 hours of straight hiking).

There were caches along the way but I had already most of them found them. I think I only had 6 logs for entire 52.3 km. But technically the event was to hike to the end location and find a micro, which I did do.

52.3 km in one day is a pretty significant hike for any one.

To really fit into this post the upcoming event I am attending In Oct to hike to the highest point in Ontario will be the most I have hiked for one cache.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...83-a9dcea2eb233