Garmin Lost My Colorado!

I am livid.

After your help, I realized my Colorado was possibly faulty. I requested an RMA number and sent it back via UPS. Garmin stated they would send a replacement unit via Next-Day-Air when they received it.

It has been three days and no unit. I called Garmin and they said "Sorry We Don't Have It."

I gave them the tracking number which shows it was delivered 3 days ago. Garmin says "Sorry. We don't have it."

Well, they did apologize. I guess that makes it OK.

Sorry, but I had to vent.

I am livid.

After your help, I realized my Colorado was possibly faulty. I requested an RMA number and sent it back via UPS. Garmin stated they would send a replacement unit via Next-Day-Air when they received it.

It has been three days and no unit. I called Garmin and they said "Sorry We Don't Have It."

I gave them the tracking number which shows it was delivered 3 days ago. Garmin says "Sorry. We don't have it."

Well, they did apologize. I guess that makes it OK.

Sorry, but I had to vent.

If you have a proof of delivery then it's their problem, without it it's the carrier's problem. Without a shipping receipt it's your. Don't lose that receipt. Did you put the RMA on the box and/or in a note with the unit?

Edited by coggins

If you have a proof of delivery then it's their problem, without it it's the carrier's problem. Without a shipping receipt it's your. Don't lose that receipt. Did you put the RMA on the box and/or in a note with the unit?

Yep. The RMA # was the third line of the address. Just like the Support Representative told me.

Yep. The RMA # was the third line of the address. Just like the Support Representative told me.

Then you are golden. Accidents happen and with a Proof of Delivery they will know that they received it and take care of the problem.

Then you are golden. Accidents happen and with a Proof of Delivery they will know that they received it and take care of the problem.

I just called them and pushed harder. They said they are not going to worry about finding my unit. However, they also said they are not shipping any units right now. They are holding them for "Quality Checks".

Hmmmmm.

I just called them and pushed harder. They said they are not going to worry about finding my unit. However, they also said they are not shipping any units right now. They are holding them for "Quality Checks".

Hmmmmm.

That whole "quality checks" line scares me. If the checks were software/firmare in nature then they would or should have no problem in sending them. Makes me wonder if the issue isn't with the hardware or with a manufacturing facility putting out questionable products.

Any one else have a thought on this?

I've always wondered about hardware, especially with Garmin. They always seem to release their products too soon. The 60CSx was just like this when it was released, I got it the first weeks it was avaliable and it was almost unusable to some extent. Hopefully colorado will get better as the 60csx did

I've always wondered about hardware, especially with Garmin. They always seem to release their products too soon. The 60CSx was just like this when it was released, I got it the first weeks it was avaliable and it was almost unusable to some extent. Hopefully colorado will get better as the 60csx did

That is good to hear. Now you specifically say the hardware was released too soon. Did you have to get a replacement unit at a later date in order to fix the problems?

So what was the resolution? Refund? Or are they going to send you one when they resume shipping?

I am also curious to know if they have stopped shipping the Colorado's entirely. I'm looking to purchase one and deal with the firmware upgrades. But if there is a hardware issue, no dice.

I don't understand. And FYI, I rarely understand. :)

You're livid? You sent a faulty unit back to the manufacturer, expected a repair, and will now be getting a brand new AND TESTED unit and you're livid?

Why aren't you jumping for joy?

You really don't expect me or anyone else to believe for one second that either you or Garmin is upset about someone there misplacing a defective unit, do you? Granted, they have to believe you when you say that the unit was bad, but why would you send them a unit that you thought was fine? Surely you don't mind getting a brand new unit that's been looked at and verified that it doesn't have the issue that you complained about? Surely they don't care about a faulty unit that's sitting on someone's desk and will eventually be found?

<Still scratching my head over this one.>

As for post 14: Issues? What issues? You either have a good unit or you don't (same as with any other purchase you ever have made or ever will make! If its faulty, you return it. End of story.

Ouch! That spot on my head is starting to bleed. B)

So what was the resolution? Refund? Or are they going to send you one when they resume shipping?

I am also curious to know if they have stopped shipping the Colorado's entirely. I'm looking to purchase one and deal with the firmware upgrades. But if there is a hardware issue, no dice.

Apathos,

So far, I have been told I will eventually get a unit. I am being told it may take weeks to get a unit because they are holding all new units for "quality checks".

I don't understand. And FYI, I rarely understand. :D

You're livid? You sent a faulty unit back to the manufacturer, expected a repair, and will now be getting a brand new AND TESTED unit and you're livid?

Why aren't you jumping for joy?

I aparently wasn't clear in my first post (or clear enough for you).

1) I am livid because I was told they would ship a unit back to me immediately upon receiving my returned unit. (It has been 8 days and they are not intending to ship me a unit anytime soon.)

2) They couldn't find my unit after it arrived and the customer service representative would not commit to sending me a replacement unit even though my unit had been signed by someone at their receiving dock.

3) These units are expensive and Garmin has been less than enthusiastic about replacing my defective unit.

Surely you don't mind getting a brand new unit that's been looked at and verified that it doesn't have the issue that you complained about? Surely they don't care about a faulty unit that's sitting on someone's desk and will eventually be found?

Again you didn't read the original post. They told me they would send a replacement once my unit arrived. When they couldn't locate the unit (after I showed them proof it did arrive), they didn't say "Don't worry. We will send you another.", they said, "Sorry, we will send you a new unit when yours arrives." Wouldn't that make you upset?

fourbeer I think you are right to be livid. I have had something like this happen to me twice before. The first time I didn't have the proof I should have had and was shafted. The second time I had my proof and it just takes yelling loud enough to reach a resolution. Garmin is a big company, they will not like someone yelling at them loudly as it is bad for business. I would contact the shipper first and file a complaint. Then call back Garmin and tell them you have filed a compalint with the shipper and you wish to file one with garmin as well. I'm guessing you won't have to go much farther before you get either a full cash refund or a shiny new gps.

fourbeer I think you are right to be livid. I have had something like this happen to me twice before. The first time I didn't have the proof I should have had and was shafted. The second time I had my proof and it just takes yelling loud enough to reach a resolution. Garmin is a big company, they will not like someone yelling at them loudly as it is bad for business. I would contact the shipper first and file a complaint. Then call back Garmin and tell them you have filed a compalint with the shipper and you wish to file one with garmin as well. I'm guessing you won't have to go much farther before you get either a full cash refund or a shiny new gps.

Thanks. They have since backed off and said they will ship me a new unit. So I won't be out any money.

I would have liked to have my replacement unit sooner. They must be having serious quality problems if they will not commit to getting me a new unit anytime soon. They will just say "It will take several weeks".

As for post 14: Issues? What issues? You either have a good unit or you don't (same as with any other purchase you ever have made or ever will make! If its faulty, you return it. End of story.

Ouch! That spot on my head is starting to bleed. :D

My point is this: if they have found reason to no longer ship these units, that would be because of hardware issues, not firmware (which can be fixed remotely). If by waiting 2 months I could get a unit that has this already taken care of, I would prefer to do that than deal with the hassle of returning a defective unit, or even possibly dealing with a recall.

I understand that sometimes something just goes wrong, and might have to be replaced. But if, hypothetically, 30% of all these units have some kind of hardware issue, I'd prefer to wait. A report that says Garmin has stopped shipping these units most certainly gives me pause, and I wish I had more information about it.

My point is this: if they have found reason to no longer ship these units, that would be because of hardware issues, not firmware (which can be fixed remotely). If by waiting 2 months I could get a unit that has this already taken care of, I would prefer to do that than deal with the hassle of returning a defective unit, or even possibly dealing with a recall.

I understand that sometimes something just goes wrong, and might have to be replaced. But if, hypothetically, 30% of all these units have some kind of hardware issue, I'd prefer to wait. A report that says Garmin has stopped shipping these units most certainly gives me pause, and I wish I had more information about it.

I just received a phone call from Garmin. The customer service representative said they will be sending me a new unit, but said it may take a while. She was initially surprised that they had not already sent one because they have plenty of units in the warehouse. She did some research and found that they had stopped shipping colorado units due to a "hardware glitch". All new units in the warehouse are being returned to the manufacturing facility to be fixed.

I asked her if she could be more specific about what the hardware problem was, but she could not.

So, it sounds like there is an issue the these units and it is a hardware problem.

Edited by fourbeer
She did some research and found that they had stopped shipping colorado units due to a "hardware glitch". All new units in the warehouse are being returned to the manufacturing facility to be fixed.

I asked her if she could be more specific about what the hardware problem was, but she could not.

So, it sounds like there is an issue the these units and it is a hardware problem.

OUCH! Usually they don't tell customer such details to avoid panic from current users.

This will be added to the Colorado FAQ smoeone started I guess... they should expect to receive a lot of calls and/or email now.

I don't own one but I'm keeping a distant eye on it, I'm not ready to upgrade. Not because of the 1st impressions of many, just because I have no money to spend right now on this, my Vista HCx will do fine for a few more months.

I just received a phone call from Garmin. The customer service representative said they will be sending me a new unit, but said it may take a while. She was initially surprised that they had not already sent one because they have plenty of units in the warehouse. She did some research and found that they had stopped shipping colorado units due to a "hardware glitch". All new units in the warehouse are being returned to the manufacturing facility to be fixed.

This is exactly what I was concerned about.

I guess I will await further details. Thanks for the update.

Sorry, but you guys are Drama Queens!

Had you bought the unit at REI, the solution would have been straightforward: return the unit for a full refund. Then decided if you buy another unit. You could easily test the unit in the store before the purchase.

I still say that 1) you sent the unit back, 2) Garmin DID recieve the unit (you have proof), and 3) they owe you a unit as a replacement, and finally 4) See the above paragraph.

I know. You're LIVID! You're also driven by d-r-a-m-a. Get your replacement or ask for your money back. It's that simple.

Sorry, but you guys are Drama Queens!

Had you bought the unit at REI, the solution would have been straightforward: return the unit for a full refund. Then decided if you buy another unit. You could easily test the unit in the store before the purchase.

I still say that 1) you sent the unit back, 2) Garmin DID recieve the unit (you have proof), and 3) they owe you a unit as a replacement, and finally 4) See the above paragraph.

I know. You're LIVID! You're also driven by d-r-a-m-a. Get your replacement or ask for your money back. It's that simple.

Wow! You must be re-reading the first post and only commenting on that. Read the whole thread before you start commenting.

Garmin HAS received my unit and they did commit to sending me a replacement. They just are not sending out any replacements because of hardware problems. I am just keeping people up-to-date on the fact that they are still not shipping (at least to me).

I am very glad I did not return it to a retailer for another unit that potentially has a problem they are currently fixing with a hardware re-work.