Limited Edition eragonSaphira & GRC Mint geocoin

eragonSaphira

The eragonSaphira and Gold Reef City Mint GeoCoin.

As South Africans, currently all GeoCoins we have, were made outside our borders. A while back I started to do some research in order to find out if it would be possible to manufacture geocoins within South Africa. After days of research and contacting various coin manufacturers, The Gold Reef City Mint (GRC Mint) got back to us and they sounded very excited about the venture. One thing led to the next and finally our coins went into the production process at the end of January.

eragonSaphiraGRCFront.jpgeragonSaphiraGRCBack.jpg

The coin is made to a South African coin size which is 38mm, and is called the "eragonSaphira and GRC Mint" geocoin. This is the first GeoCoin to be completely manufactured (that we are aware of and excluding the Groundspeak Tracking numbers from the US) within the borders of South Africa by a real mint that also mints legal tender coins.

As this is the first geocoin that is manufactured in South Africa, we will use it as an exhibition piece for "GeoCoins South Africa" and the "Gold Reef City Mint". Being the beginning of great things, we would like to keep this coin very special and thus have decided that only 500 of the "eragonSaphira and GRC Mint" geocoins will ever be produced.

Should anyone be interested in these coins, you may contact me on renier@geocoins.co.za for more information or should you be interested in pre-orders.

Photos of the actual minted coin will be posted shortly.

Awesome, congrats on the coin and congrats on the coin being minted locally! AND only $8 coming from overseas ;)

ummm wait till you see the postage. i have asked ifthey can investigateabetterrate than the one i was qouted.

As is often the case, shipping from one country to another can be expensive. And, as usual, combining orders may be the answer. To order one coin in the US, the coin cost is $7.37US and shipping is $6.90US, for a total of $14.27 for one coin. BUT, if I order 3 coins, the shipping is $9.60US, which brings it down to $3.20 per coin for shipping, for a total cost of $10.57 per coin shipped. Really not that bad! (Though, I did not look into the cost to ship to Oz!)

Great price and shipping ! Was ready to check out and hit a bump. They don't accept paypal :huh: RATS!

But their link does take a credit card with no problem. :) I found it fast and easy. :anibad:

I am finding this to be a big problem for me. if anyone has paid through the site, was there a 'secure' lock icon in the address bar?

Great price and shipping ! Was ready to check out and hit a bump. They don't accept paypal :huh: RATS!

But their link does take a credit card with no problem. :) I found it fast and easy. :anibad:

I am finding this to be a big problem for me. if anyone has paid through the site, was there a 'secure' lock icon in the address bar?

Unfortuanately due to the very strict FICA (Financial Intelligence Act) act in South Africa, we cannot receive PayPal payments (I'd love to have used PayPal). The Payment gateway we are "forced" to use is called Setcom and is supposed to be very safe and secure. It is much like PayPal, the difference is that it complies with the FICA act set forth by government and our reserve bank.

The system works very similar to Paypal, you click to add coins to your basket. The basket is held on the Secure Setcom servers and not on our site. Then you go to a secure Setcom Checkout (you technically leave our site and the setcom payment gateway is then shown in the frame) where you enter your credit card details on the Setcom Gateway, similar to Paypal. We as GeoCoins South Africa NEVER EVER see your credit card details. The checkout is then done on the secure Setcom servers, and when the transaction is successful, setcom redirects back to our website. Should you require more information regarding the Setcom Payment Gateway please check them out at Setcom Secure Payments

Should you want to test this, please try the following. Go to our website, add a coin to the basket, it will redirect you to the Secure Setcom server and show you your shopping basket. To the right of the of the total amount (depending on your screen size) you should see the "Secured by (t)thawte click here to veify". You can click on that icon to get the security certificate details for Setcom.

Hope this will help :)

The eragonSaphira and Gold Reef City Mint GeoCoin.

As South Africans, currently all GeoCoins we have, were made outside our borders. A while back I started to do some research in order to find out if it would be possible to manufacture geocoins within South Africa. After days of research and contacting various coin manufacturers, The Gold Reef City Mint (GRC Mint) got back to us and they sounded very excited about the venture. One thing led to the next and finally our coins went into the production process at the end of January.

eragonSaphiraGRCFront.jpgeragonSaphiraGRCBack.jpg

The coin is made to a South African coin size which is 38mm, and is called the "eragonSaphira and GRC Mint" geocoin. This is the first GeoCoin to be completely manufactured (that we are aware of and excluding the Groundspeak Tracking numbers from the US) within the borders of South Africa by a real mint that also mints legal tender coins.

As this is the first geocoin that is manufactured in South Africa, we will use it as an exhibition piece for "GeoCoins South Africa" and the "Gold Reef City Mint". Being the beginning of great things, we would like to keep this coin very special and thus have decided that only 500 of the "eragonSaphira and GRC Mint" geocoins will ever be produced.

Should anyone be interested in these coins, you may contact me on renier@geocoins.co.za for more information or should you be interested in pre-orders.

Photos of the actual minted coin will be posted shortly.

Hi guys and girls,

Glad to announce that we have received the first batch (and we are very pleased with the end restult [especially it being the first coin minted]) of coins and have started to mail them off to their respective owners <_<

We will update the GeoCoins South Africa website with high-res photos probably by this weekend and I will post in this thread as soon as we have done so.

Should you be interested in the low-res photos I took, you are welcome to mail me at renier@geocoins.co.za

Should you be interested, please visit our site and note that on the menu on the left hand site their is a button (US$ Site) that will take you to section of the website where prices are listed in US Dollar (that way you don't have to work out the exchange rate).

Thank you for all your support and how the coin was received thus far.

Up to now we have had an absolute fantastic response to the first geocoins minted in South Africa and decided that we will make 25 of these geocoins extra special by minting them in Fine Silver (99.9% pure silver).

Sterling silver is silver with a silver content of 92.5% pure silver and the balance is made up of copper. Due to the copper content of Sterling Silver, it tends to Tarnish after just a short while. These coins will NOT be minted from Sterling Silver, but from Fine Silver. Fine Silver is almost 100% pure and contains 99.9% pure silver.

Why Silver?

With the current rise in the price of Silver, these coins will quickly catch up and surpass the initial investment made to obtain them and be worth more than was initially paid for them in sheer weight of Silver.

Should anyone be interested, please have a look at the GeoCoins South Africa website for more information and how these coins may be reserved. The coins will be reserved on a FIRST COME FIRST SERVE basis.

NB! The images currently on the GeoCoins South Africa website is that of the brass eragonSaphira & GRC Mint geocoin. We will post an image of the Fine Silver coin as soon as we receive them.

The current eragonSaphira & GRC Mint geocoins minted in brass is also available from the site and the first batch of these coins have already been sent to their respective new owners.