COINTEST: The Stop Lurking and come Introduce Yourself

keewee

Hello everyone, My Name is William Shores and I currently cache under the name Twisted Willie. I found a cache by accident a few years ago and while I did not follow up on it at the time it stayed in the back of my mind. A few weeks ago I ran across one of the "Wheres George" dollars and logged it online and remembered the cache I had found and started looking on the internet. Within fifteen mins. I had my first cache in hand. As of tonight I have 21 finds with one FTF. I have passed along 1 geocoin "Kansas Sunshine", got my first pathtag, "We Arrrgh NTX" and currently have a Travel Bug in my possession that I plan to pass along when I locate a suitable and remote cache. I AM SEVERELY ADDICTED.

The more I learn about geocaching and all that is involved with it the more I love it. I plan to get a handheld gps soon, I have been using the maps and my in car TOMTOM to get me along so for. My birthday is in a few days and I think I have my wife addicted too so I will not be suprised to find a GPS unit in my present. Once I get more experience I plan to put out some well though out hides.

Hi William, Awesome story! Fingers crossed you get that GPS for your Birthday! Make sure you drop back in here to let us know!

Hi, all! My name is Leanne. I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I started geocaching while on vacation in Victoria, BC to visit my sister a little less than a year ago. I knew then that I'd be doing it again for sure. Since that day, I've had the opportunity to find a few caches, learn a little more about the activity and get a few people hooked along with me.

When I'm not searching for my next cache, I enjoy time with my family and friends, listening to Great Big Sea (that's where my user name comes from), being a leader with Girl Guides of Canada, volunteering at my kids' school and obsessively making lists. But, not necessarily in that order. :P

So far, I have just been using my iPhone for geocaching and it seems to serve the purpose. I am hoping to pick up my own GPSr at some point, after I've had a chance to learn a little more about what there is to choose from.

I am the proud owner of 3 Girl Guides of Canada Centennial geocoins, one that I'm going to keep for my very own, one that is waiting until my first ever trip to Ottawa to drop and one that I just dropped yesterday after finishing up a Girl Guide event in Cochrane, AB.

Thanks, keewee, for encouraging me to come out of lurker mode :ph34r:

Hi Leanne, Your welcome. It is good to hear all the stories that people have but never tell... until given a little prod or incentive to come forward. :) So was it your sister that got you started on the geocaching?

Hi, Im not sure if I qualify for this contest.

My name is Jacqueline (PrincesJ)and I have been caching for about 2 years. My first post in the geocoin forum was in June 2010.I have made a few posts since then. I read the forums quite often and a couple of times I was going to post but changed my mind.

A bit about me, I am a mom of two children who will sometimes cache with me. I have to bribe my son sometimes. I work in a daycare and have taken the children caching. They love it and everytime we go somewhere we now have to bring the GPS.

I have four coins. My first coin was a blue sky coin which was a provincal contest in BC. I wanted that coin so bad I drove about 100 km away with a fever.

My second coin I received at an event, it was a personal coin (pearlwind) This is the coin that really got me into coins.

My third coin is the BCGA stellar J coin which I won at the Blitz event for having the best puzzle cache in our area.

My fourth coin I recently bought.It is the BCGA 2010 coin.

I have seen so many beautiful coins posted in the forums and I would like to thank everyone for posting them because I enjoy looking at everyone's coins.

Hopefully I havent rambled on too much

Hi Jacqueline and welcome. That's a brilliant idea - introducing heaps of kids to geocaching at a young age. That could really swell the numbers of the geocaching community in years to come! ;) I personally think geocaching is a great activity for young people, and I'd like to see a new category of geocache called a Kids Cache - ones that are kid friendly and full of all the goodies that kids love and others hate.

I did some more research on the "collectible" topic, and discovered that making the item collectible enables me to add a log entry of the type "move to collection". I guess that this is mostly used in cases where the owner is in possession of the item, just as you described. However, if that were the only case, it could be done in a much easier way (button "move to collection"). I guess that the current system is meant to allow even non-owners to move such items to their collection.

I'm still slightly confused about the collectible-option... So far I've set all my trackables as non-collectible, even the ones that are staying in my personal collection. But I'm wondering if these should be marked as collectible?

I think the ones staying in your personal collection could (should is the wrong word) be marked as "Is Collectible" / "Make this Trackable Collectible" unless you already have them stashed away in a non-active cache somewhere - such as an archived cache. If you mark them as "Is Collectible" / "Make this Trackable Collectible" then I believe they will will be removed from the cache they're in.

I've not set the preference on any of my geocoins yet, but I must start doing so. I'll try it and report back.

Most of my collection of discoverable geocoins are sitting in an archived event cache currently.

Hi Leanne, Your welcome. It is good to hear all the stories that people have but never tell... until given a little prod or incentive to come forward. :) So was it your sister that got you started on the geocaching?

Hi Jacqueline and welcome. That's a brilliant idea - introducing heaps of kids to geocaching at a young age. That could really swell the numbers of the geocaching community in years to come! ;) I personally think geocaching is a great activity for young people, and I'd like to see a new category of geocache called a Kids Cache - ones that are kid friendly and full of all the goodies that kids love and others hate.

My sister had actually never cached before either. I have friends who had told me about it, it was a lovely warm day, I had my iPhone in hand so, off we went for a "treasure hunt" with the kids. Now, I will visiting the same sister in Ottawa so, there are more treasures ahead.

I love the idea of a Kids Cache!! In March, I will be introducing about 30 Brownies and Guides (ages 7-11) to the world of geocaching. I'm really looking forward to it!

My sister had actually never cached before either. I have friends who had told me about it, it was a lovely warm day, I had my iPhone in hand so, off we went for a "treasure hunt" with the kids. Now, I will visiting the same sister in Ottawa so, there are more treasures ahead.

I love the idea of a Kids Cache!! In March, I will be introducing about 30 Brownies and Guides (ages 7-11) to the world of geocaching. I'm really looking forward to it!

Snap - I plan to do the same in out Scout Zone this year.

Snap - I plan to do the same in out Scout Zone this year.

Have fun!! Do your Scouts collect crests for the activities that they do?

There is an award scheme that is based around 4 cornerstones (topic areas); within each there are numerous badges they can earn for carry out or participating in particular set activities.

My name is Ray (Badger10). I have been caching since August. I go caching with Dopey22, geek13 and drumsticks92. I have 8 coins. The newest two are a WolfHaven Geocoin (My favorite) and a law enforcement geocoin. I would like to see a Military Police geocoin. My first geocoin is from a challenge. Find 9 caches and you get an anniversary geocoin from the City of Richland (Washington). We had seen a story about caching in the local paper but did not get around to checking into it. Saw another story last August about a local gathering of cachers and decided to check it out. Of the four of us in the family I am the one that's obsessed. I am always looking for reasons to hit the road and feed the obsession. I also spend quite a bit of time checking Ebay for geocoins to buy. I started out with an Etrex and upgraded a couple of months ago to a GPSMAP62S. Still getting used to it.

My name is Ray (Badger10). I have been caching since August. I go caching with Dopey22, geek13 and drumsticks92. I have 8 coins. The newest two are a WolfHaven Geocoin (My favorite) and a law enforcement geocoin. I would like to see a Military Police geocoin. My first geocoin is from a challenge. Find 9 caches and you get an anniversary geocoin from the City of Richland (Washington). We had seen a story about caching in the local paper but did not get around to checking into it. Saw another story last August about a local gathering of cachers and decided to check it out. Of the four of us in the family I am the one that's obsessed. I am always looking for reasons to hit the road and feed the obsession. I also spend quite a bit of time checking Ebay for geocoins to buy. I started out with an Etrex and upgraded a couple of months ago to a GPSMAP62S. Still getting used to it.

Hi Ray and welcome. Watch that obsession - it grows quickly! :laughing:

BUMP - First round close to closing, so hurry, hurry, hurry all you lurkers!

;)Rules:;)*UPDATED*

7). First (2011) round of entries close Thursday Feb 24th (everywhere), and the first winner will be drawn by Feb 26th. Once first (2011) round closes, the next round starts. :D

Edited by keewee

Well, I probably should speak up here. I don't *exactly* lurk around here, but I'm not the most vocal either, and I don't think I've done much of an intro before.

Hi, My name is Mike. And I'm a geocoin addict, who doesn't qualify for this cointest by a long shot. :) My Caching name is a reuse of an online name from *many* years ago (FidoNet anybody?) that I've used through the years for all sorts of gaming.

I started caching about a year and a half ago, when I was 'introduced' to it by a good friend (Nepokama) who was helping me move into a new house, and he noticed there was a cache nearby. I did a cache or two every few months to begin with, and it started to escalate. My first geocoins were shown to me by Nepokama, and I suddenly had a related interest.

It's now been 1 year and just over a week since I ordered my first geocoin on Feb 15th of 2010. I'm sitting here with samples for 4 different geocoins on my desk (Co-designed with NepoKama), at least one of which hasn't been shown or announced in any way yet, and several more designs in the process of working their way to reality. Oh, and my collection has grown to close to 300 'keepers' in that time.

I've had the great fun of having my first year caching coincide with the 10 year anniversary, AND Geowoodstock being near my hometown (I live in the Seattle, WA greater metro area). I will admit, Avroair probably bears some of the blame for the coin addiction, and running into him at events regularly (he hosted the first event I attended) probably doesn't help. :)

Now that I have a few artist editions of coins that I've helped design, I guess it's time for me to enter the next phase of my geocoin addiction: Serious Trading! I got a taste of trading last year at the Midnight Madness event around GeoWoodstock, but I quickly burned through my trader stock, and am just now beginning to have something to offer. I will admit, I have a few complete sets of things that I may be willing to break a few loose from, for the right coin(s).

Would there be another round starting?

I'm Alicia, AKA MoonCat. I'm engaged to KDT (Kyle), and we are getting married in September. We both really enjoy Geocaching, but between the two of us i'm the more enthusiastic one! One evening we were out for dinner and i was just randomly searching for apps on my iPhone, and came across the Groundspeak app. I had heard of Geocaching, and had done some with a boyfriend's family in high school, so we decided to try it. Now we are totally hooked and enjoy every minute of it!

P9090303.jpg

We live in Cambridge Ontario, he works in general labor and I'm a Production Manager for a DRTV Company.

We only own 2 reg sized Geocoins and 1 micro Geocoin, the rest are other random trackables that we came across and set free around the area. In researching I've found that i'm really loving any navigation coin I come across. I was thinking of starting a collection, but before I just start a buying frenzy i'm going to do a few missions and try my hand at a few Cointests first :)

I really am a lurker other than the odd question or comment. I like to read the forums without feeling the need to reply to every random thing.

The only thing I've ever wondered, is how do these mystery coins come about? I understand the concept of getting a coin from an anonymous sender, but how did that sender get your full address etc without you knowing they are sending something to you? It just makes me wonder.. :D

Hello

I am Dave, and I 've been lurking on the forums for several months now. I began geocaching late last year after coming across the terminology on a television show. I thought it sounded like a fun thing to do, and sure enough it has been! I have been caching solo for the past few months and having only a minor amount of success. It was discouraging to go out searching for a 1/1 and come back empty handed. My first few finds were guardrail and lampost and I started to think that was all there was out there in my area. One day, lo and behold I came across my first ammo can! I attended my first event in January with the PAGA and met some very nice people. I brought my wife along Jen (Ladywolfe) to the next event I went to (Mardi Gras) and now she seems as enthused about caching as I do! We are taking a trip next weekend to work on the AGT caches (which will be pretty challenging for two newbies I am sure). We also are going to Geowoodstock.

I am also interested in stargazing, ufology, and the like. Nice meeting you all. I really enjoy the community.

Hello everyone

I am Davetecsgirl (Darlene). My boyfriend introduced me to Caching back in 2008. Over the years I have seen some beautiful coins but have never been a collector of them.

But i have taken interest in them now as I have bought a few coins from my local Caching group Central Ontario Geocachers.

What i want to know is... with all these coins disappearing, do you find yourself only having coins to be discovered or do you still put them out to travel.

Another question is how many of you have your own personal coin?? I have seen a few and they are so unique

Happy caching everyone

DARLENE :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I threw all your names (except for the couple of people who've posted in the last few days) into a hat, drew one and the winner was....

the955iman!!!

Name is David, caching name is the955iman, I'm 41 and live in Griffin, GA. Been a member on the forum since Nov. 2006, but never posted anything. Guess I'm a serious lurker.

Got into this thanks to bearly_sane and I love it. We've been kind of out of it for a while but looking to really get back into it this year. I have a little over 100 caches so far, and I only have 3 coins.

Well, there ya have it.

Congratulations David - an unactivated, trackable geocoin will be popped into the post in the next few days. Give it a couple of weeks to get there, but please come back and post in here what you got when it does arrive. :)

I was feeling generous, so I drew a second name - congratulations okitreefroggang!! Send me your details and there's a geocoin coming your way too! :)

MoonCat & KDT, Starwolf013, DavetecsGirl - you'll be in the draw next time round :)

Would there be another round starting?

I'm Alicia, AKA MoonCat. I'm engaged to KDT (Kyle), and we are getting married in September. We both really enjoy Geocaching, but between the two of us i'm the more enthusiastic one! One evening we were out for dinner and i was just randomly searching for apps on my iPhone, and came across the Groundspeak app. I had heard of Geocaching, and had done some with a boyfriend's family in high school, so we decided to try it. Now we are totally hooked and enjoy every minute of it!

We live in Cambridge Ontario, he works in general labor and I'm a Production Manager for a DRTV Company.

We only own 2 reg sized Geocoins and 1 micro Geocoin, the rest are other random trackables that we came across and set free around the area. In researching I've found that i'm really loving any navigation coin I come across. I was thinking of starting a collection, but before I just start a buying frenzy i'm going to do a few missions and try my hand at a few Cointests first :)

I really am a lurker other than the odd question or comment. I like to read the forums without feeling the need to reply to every random thing.

The only thing I've ever wondered, is how do these mystery coins come about? I understand the concept of getting a coin from an anonymous sender, but how did that sender get your full address etc without you knowing they are sending something to you? It just makes me wonder.. :D

Hi Alica and Kyle, Welcome to the Forums :)

Mystery Coiners usually get people addresses from the Geocoin Addresses address book in Google Docs. To receive an invite to join the address book and add your contact details, send Maine Family a message via their profile. :)

Hello

I am Dave, and I 've been lurking on the forums for several months now. I began geocaching late last year after coming across the terminology on a television show. I thought it sounded like a fun thing to do, and sure enough it has been! I have been caching solo for the past few months and having only a minor amount of success. It was discouraging to go out searching for a 1/1 and come back empty handed. My first few finds were guardrail and lampost and I started to think that was all there was out there in my area. One day, lo and behold I came across my first ammo can! I attended my first event in January with the PAGA and met some very nice people. I brought my wife along Jen (Ladywolfe) to the next event I went to (Mardi Gras) and now she seems as enthused about caching as I do! We are taking a trip next weekend to work on the AGT caches (which will be pretty challenging for two newbies I am sure). We also are going to Geowoodstock.

I am also interested in stargazing, ufology, and the like. Nice meeting you all. I really enjoy the community.

Hi Dave and welcome to the game! Don't get discouraged over difficulty with finding caches, I still have difficultly sometimes when I'm caching alone. Best way is to get out with some other cachers a couple of times. That way you start to learn all the typical "hides" for caches. In the end you'll rock on up to a location and be able to say "The cache is there" and bingo, it will be (most of the time).

Hello everyone

I am Davetecsgirl (Darlene). My boyfriend introduced me to Caching back in 2008. Over the years I have seen some beautiful coins but have never been a collector of them.

But i have taken interest in them now as I have bought a few coins from my local Caching group Central Ontario Geocachers.

What i want to know is... with all these coins disappearing, do you find yourself only having coins to be discovered or do you still put them out to travel.

Another question is how many of you have your own personal coin?? I have seen a few and they are so unique

Happy caching everyone

DARLENE :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hi Darlene,

I dropped out of geocaching somewhat for a 18 months or so, but am back into it again. I have serious reservations about releasing geocoins into the wild these days as I have seen a large number of mine disappear. :mad::(

I don't think I will release any better geocoins any more, but some plainer, mass produced ones I definitely will, and I think I will release a whole lot of travel bugs - that way they might survive. It is a real shame as there use to be heaps of fantastic geocoins floating around in the wild, but same old story, a few rotten apples spoil the fun for everyone else.

I sort of have some personal geocoins. I joined in on several group projects where the base of the geocoin was the same for everyone, but each person had their own colour scheme and their name on it. I was part of several of the GeoJellies projects. Plus had my own GeoTag made. It is a smaller geocoin with one unique side of your own design, and the rear is the same for everyone. I sent a lot of mine travelling and some are still floating around out there. Some only made it to one cache before disappearing!

My names' Jackson i am 16, and I started with the name TexasOutlaw, but changed it because it's too long to write on the logs :)

I started geocaching by seeing it in a youtube video video vlog series that I daily watch... Once I saw how cool it was that people would just get coordinates and just find something that everyone keeps passing by everyday in their daily life... I just needed to try it.. I bought the $10 app(WORTH EVERY PENNY) and it was around 10 at night, so I couldn't sleep and just kept researching over and over and watching youtube videos until it was 12 and I really had to go to bed told some of my friends about it and well the rest is history... I've only found 58 geocaches, but i'm hoping to find more as I progress

Oh, and I just started collecting geocoins.. and even though i'm on a budget i have one coming which is the Crikey! geocoin

Edited by Delinum

Start date is L

2). To enter you must have less than about 30 posts here in the forums; No posting limit Today is my first day really looking at the forums.. I think I have posted 3 times. I am still soaking up ALL the information and learning new things each time I open my computer.

3). To enter you must currently own (and that includes ones in transit) 10 or less geocoins; Unfortunately I do not OWN any geocoins nor have I ever held one in my hand. I have been desperately searching for a coin but they are never in the cache. I did finally find a travel bug... how exciting. I talked about that for a week. Imagine if I actually found a coin... YEAH!

4). To enter you need to post in this thread with at least a. and b. of the following:

a. introduce yourself - first name if you like, your caching name, and maybe how you came about it My name is Lisa and I am the Queen of the Wyly Family. I really got involved through a friend who had just lost her son that shared that they would go cacheing together. I started looking into it and actually bought her all the stuff to place a cache in memory of her son at his favorite hunting area-when she is ready we will hide this cache.

b. tell us something about yourself, where you are from, what you do, what interests you I am a mother of five girls that are all enjoying this addiction with us. We have recently experienced some community tradgedies along with a tradgedy with one of our girls. This has allowed us to have something else to focus on and increased the time we spend as a family. This particular daughter loves to cache. She recently placed her first travel bug and cant wait to find a coin that she can keep.. We live in the Kern River Valley and are amazed how many caches are here. It also surprises me that there are no local clubs or groups. Would love to have an event here but I dont know what that really means yet.

c. ask a question - preferably about geocoins - use this as a learning ground to find out something you want to know. Remember - no question is too dumb! What does it mean to OWN a coin? Why do people post that they have alot of coins? Arent you suppose to place them in another cache when you find them? Are there any coins that you can keep? How the heck would I even begin to find a FTF coin? How could i ADOPT a coin since I havent been able to find one?

hi, my names Ben AKA TrynaFindaCache, im new to geocaching, started in December 2010, i came about my name by thinking that im trying to find a cache and simply modified it to sound slightly better :). I am 19 years old (just), i live in Melbourne, Victoria Australia. i am extremely interested in travelling and plan to go geocaching where ever i may be, i am going to Thailand in July so am hopefully going to find a few caches over there :D i would also like to go and find the original stash. as of now i have only found 40 caches but am just starting to get extremely excited about going to find others, i have also just placed my 3rd cache.

i have just ordered a Geocoin with an Australian flag on it, im, going to use it and dip it in caches i find until i think its time to release into the wild.

Is making a goal of a geocoin to get to a certain cache (if started in another country) to much to ask of fellow geocachers?

now of to go have more fun geocaching!

What does it mean to OWN a coin? Why do people post that they have alot of coins? Arent you suppose to place them in another cache when you find them? Are there any coins that you can keep? How the heck would I even begin to find a FTF coin? How could i ADOPT a coin since I havent been able to find one?

Welcome Wyly Family, nice to meet you!

People here BUY lots of coins. Yeah, it is expensive, we can't help ourselves. So to OWN a coin is to BUY it, or have someone give it to you as a GIFT. Sometimes gifts happen when people meet each other, or sometimes someone will send you a gift in the mail, or on a few rare occasions, you will find one in a cache. Those are usually clearly marked as such, and when you look them up they will not be activated. But most of the ones that you find in a cache are already activated - and they have a goal, and they are owned by someone else. Those you just enjoy for a bit, and move along to another cache (and of course log those activities too). And once you own your own coin, you can send it out into the world and watch it.

If a coin is already activated (owned), and the owner wants to change the ownership to someone else, then that is where adoption comes in. Circumstances vary as to when this is appropriate.

A FTF coin is just like any other coin. You don't magically get a FTF coin for being first on a cache. But of course, you can buy yourself one. Sorry, no mystique there.

hi, my names Ben AKA TrynaFindaCache, im new to geocaching, started in December 2010, i came about my name by thinking that im trying to find a cache and simply modified it to sound slightly better :). I am 19 years old (just), i live in Melbourne, Victoria Australia. i am extremely interested in travelling and plan to go geocaching where ever i may be, i am going to Thailand in July so am hopefully going to find a few caches over there :D i would also like to go and find the original stash. as of now i have only found 40 caches but am just starting to get extremely excited about going to find others, i have also just placed my 3rd cache.

i have just ordered a Geocoin with an Australian flag on it, im, going to use it and dip it in caches i find until i think its time to release into the wild.

Is making a goal of a geocoin to get to a certain cache (if started in another country) to much to ask of fellow geocachers?

Hi Ben!

Wow, love that you get to travel around to lots of places, and find caches too! Sounds like a great goal to have a coin try to get to a particular cache. There were some threads like that here in the forum. Note that it might take a long time, and it might not ever make it -- but on the other hand, I had someone start one to me from Germany, and it got to the designated cache near me in the US.

What does it mean to OWN a coin? Why do people post that they have alot of coins? Arent you suppose to place them in another cache when you find them? Are there any coins that you can keep? How the heck would I even begin to find a FTF coin? How could i ADOPT a coin since I havent been able to find one?

Hi Lisa and welcome to geocaching and the forums.

Geocoins are made by companies and individuals and then sold. Almost all geocoins out in the wild are owned by someone somewhere. Geocoins cost between about $US6 and $US12 generally to buy new, depending on the size, colouring, complexity, etc of the geocoin.

Once upon a time most geocoins were purchased, activated by the owner/purchaser (geocoins have a unique tracking number on them) and then released into the world to travel around. A few were given away and a few were held by their owners in their collections (people collect geocoins like the collect stamps or regular coins). Over time more people took up buying geocoins and collecting them, and as more and more coins that were travelling were stolen, then more and more people choose to not release them and to hold on to them.

So basically and geocoin you purchase, you can choose to keep it, activate it and either keep it to show others, or activate it and release it into the wild with a mission to do.

The vast majority of geocoins found in caches are not for collecting - they have missions and are for travelling. On very, very rare occasions you may come across one that has not been activated and has been left in a cache as a gift or swag. In these cases you should treat it as normal cache swag and trade evenly or trade up.

You only adopt a geocoin if you have purchased a previously activated (owned) geocoin from it's owner. They then adopt the geocoin over to you as the new owner. :)

now of to go have more fun geocaching!

Hi Ben and Welcome to Geocaching and the forums.

As fuzziebear3 mentioned there are heaps of geocoins already with exactly that mission. Sometimes they succeed, sometimes they languish, sometime they succumb... There are even geocoin races where the goal for all the coins are to get to a certain cache (usually and Event Cache) by a certain date. I've tended to set goals for mine as to "Stay in the Hawaiian Islands", or "Stay in Europe" just to keep them in one geographical area. Several times people have traded or purchased a geocoin from me and then they've activated it with a mission to make it to them and then got me to release it here in New Zealand. It's fun and a heartwarming experience to read the logs that people post about finding geocoins, but more and more they are going missing. :(

I'd love to go geocaching overseas - that would be so much fun!!! Good luck with your travels! Make sure you have some geocoins to release along the way so that you can then watch their travels. :)

Hi, my name is Heidi. My caching name is Gifthorse. I started geocaching on New Year's Eve of last year, so I have only been doing this for a couple of months. I am a dental hygienist and live and work about an hour from Detroit, Michigan. My husband is a dentist and we have 2 children. I will be 46 this coming Monday.

How did I get started into geocaching? I laugh when someone asks that because I don't really know. My 16 year old son has no interests except for video/internet games and watching sports on tv. In an attempt to give him something to do that would exercise more than just his thumbs, I bought him a book on geocaching for Christmas. I don't even know how I thought it up. Must have heard about it somewhere once, but it never really registered. While in line to buy it, I talked to a guy who fascinated me with the detail that caches are found everywhere in the world. My son has never really gotten into it, but I drag him or my husband with me occasionally. My husband is very instrumental in solving puzzles too.

Yesterday I had no geocoins. Today I have nine, I think. My parents came back from Florida this week. Knowing my love for geocaching, they instructed me not to buy anything until they returned because they had some gifts for me. Today my mother brought over an ammo box, a couple of bison tubes, a couple of nanos, a couple of shirts, a magnetic retrieval tool, and some other things, including some trackables. So, my question will regard to telling the difference between travel bugs and geocoins.

One coin is an obvious large round coin. This is what I've seen in caches previously. A couple are small Oakcoins. They resemble a pathtag someone gave me in size. Four are in shape of objects (not round) and have chains coming from them. They are the ones that have me confused. Are these geocoins or travel bugs? All other travel bugs I've seen previously have been of the dogtag variety.

I plan to place some caches of my own as soon as more of the snow melts. I already have the places in mind and the names picked out. I am also hoping to explore some virtuals (will be my firsts) when our family visits Yosimite and Alcatraz this summer.

Thanks for being patient in answering our newbie questions!

Hi, my name is Heidi. My caching name is Gifthorse. I started geocaching on New Year's Eve of last year, so I have only been doing this for a couple of months. I am a dental hygienist and live and work about an hour from Detroit, Michigan. My husband is a dentist and we have 2 children. I will be 46 this coming Monday.

How did I get started into geocaching? I laugh when someone asks that because I don't really know. My 16 year old son has no interests except for video/internet games and watching sports on tv. In an attempt to give him something to do that would exercise more than just his thumbs, I bought him a book on geocaching for Christmas. I don't even know how I thought it up. Must have heard about it somewhere once, but it never really registered. While in line to buy it, I talked to a guy who fascinated me with the detail that caches are found everywhere in the world. My son has never really gotten into it, but I drag him or my husband with me occasionally. My husband is very instrumental in solving puzzles too.

Yesterday I had no geocoins. Today I have nine, I think. My parents came back from Florida this week. Knowing my love for geocaching, they instructed me not to buy anything until they returned because they had some gifts for me. Today my mother brought over an ammo box, a couple of bison tubes, a couple of nanos, a couple of shirts, a magnetic retrieval tool, and some other things, including some trackables. So, my question will regard to telling the difference between travel bugs and geocoins.

One coin is an obvious large round coin. This is what I've seen in caches previously. A couple are small Oakcoins. They resemble a pathtag someone gave me in size. Four are in shape of objects (not round) and have chains coming from them. They are the ones that have me confused. Are these geocoins or travel bugs? All other travel bugs I've seen previously have been of the dogtag variety.

I plan to place some caches of my own as soon as more of the snow melts. I already have the places in mind and the names picked out. I am also hoping to explore some virtuals (will be my firsts) when our family visits Yosimite and Alcatraz this summer.

Thanks for being patient in answering our newbie questions!

Hi Heidi, and welcome to Geocaching and the Forums :)

Those things are essentially Travel Bug tags - just a bit less boring that the standard Dog Tag ones. Some of the other coin companies have also put out similar items.

Really the main differences between geocoins and travel bugs are the geocoins have more form and variety to them (shape, design, size, etc), and each type of geocoin can have a different prefix in the tracking code and icon on geocaching.com. Otherwise they can both be used, attached to another object, as a Travel Bug. I've seen some people drill their geocoins and attach other items to it just like you would with a Travel Bug.

Have fun over the summer with the virtuals!

Greetings all! The name is Greg, though I go by the handle Viridios. Viridios is a Gaelic name for the Green Man, which is the personification of the wild places of the world, often seen as a man's face peering out of leaves. While few and far between, it is those places I prefer to cache. I am from Fonthill, Ontario, where I am a full time university student (which greatly cuts into my caching time, unfortunately!) and a father of 2 kids (almost 8 and 5 months). I have had the opportunity to move a few geocoins along, but have none of my own.

I know I may not be eligible, since I have been around the forums for a while, but nothing wrong with giving an introduction, right? :D

Greetings all! The name is Greg, though I go by the handle Viridios. Viridios is a Gaelic name for the Green Man, which is the personification of the wild places of the world, often seen as a man's face peering out of leaves. While few and far between, it is those places I prefer to cache. I am from Fonthill, Ontario, where I am a full time university student (which greatly cuts into my caching time, unfortunately!) and a father of 2 kids (almost 8 and 5 months). I have had the opportunity to move a few geocoins along, but have none of my own.

I know I may not be eligible, since I have been around the forums for a while, but nothing wrong with giving an introduction, right? :D

Hi Greg, Thanks for dropping in and introducing yourself. Love the story of where your caching name comes from! Very cool.

Don't worry - your in the draw. :)

hey

i am Geohuntess, also go by the name of becky :) i recently started geocaching when i found one randomly in the centre of my little town, here in the middle of leicestershire, UK in February. I cache with my partner, Gav. we really do enjoy caching when we have the chance, its something that right now we dotn get to do as much as i would like.

it is a fab hobby, nice and cheap, especially with how the climate is at present, its nice to be able to go out and about for a minimal cost. i have yet to buy any geocoins, but i dont think it will be long, after finding a couple of stunning ones in caches. i think that then it will start to become costly as there are so many that i would like to collect :)

i am also hoping to invest in a GPS system at some point soon, as my phone just simply isnt up to it, the battery dies far too quick when using the application.

i love to read these forums so am a self confessed lurker, however will try and contribute more. i do hope this is a worthy introduction and i look forward to finding out more abouit this very addictive sport. I also look ofrward to making friends and meeting some of you lovely people out and about, especially at some of these events when i can.

bye for now, Becky xx

Hello coinaholics ;o)

I'm Tash from Salisbury, England and this is my first post! I started geocaching a month ago after hearing about it from a friend and it didn't take long for the addiction to kick in! I only own one GC but my cursor keeps finding itself hovering over the 'Add to Cart' button on various websites! I have managed to restrain myself well so far but I don't think it will be long until my collection starts to grow! I love finding trackables in caches and if I feel I can help them with their journeys will always move them along, and try to take photos too.

My caching name is noodlefrog. The 'noodle' part after my 5yr old son who we nicknamed Noodles as a baby, and the 'frog' part after my very-nearly-3yr old daughter whom we call Froggy. Poor children! We usually all go caching together as it's a great way to get the kids outdoors, letting off steam and keeping active. It's amazing how far you can get small legs to walk when there's 'treasure' involved!

I also enjoy photography (or did before I broke my nice camera!) and scrapbooking but most of all enjoy my children and my busy life as their Mummy!

Edit: According to that bit on the side, this is my 2nd post. Apologies for the outright lie! Can't for the life of me remember where I last posted though!

Edited by noodlefrog

hey

i am Geohuntess, also go by the name of becky :) i recently started geocaching when i found one randomly in the centre of my little town, here in the middle of leicestershire, UK in February. I cache with my partner, Gav. we really do enjoy caching when we have the chance, its something that right now we dotn get to do as much as i would like.

it is a fab hobby, nice and cheap, especially with how the climate is at present, its nice to be able to go out and about for a minimal cost. i have yet to buy any geocoins, but i dont think it will be long, after finding a couple of stunning ones in caches. i think that then it will start to become costly as there are so many that i would like to collect :)

i am also hoping to invest in a GPS system at some point soon, as my phone just simply isnt up to it, the battery dies far too quick when using the application.

i love to read these forums so am a self confessed lurker, however will try and contribute more. i do hope this is a worthy introduction and i look forward to finding out more abouit this very addictive sport. I also look ofrward to making friends and meeting some of you lovely people out and about, especially at some of these events when i can.

bye for now, Becky xx

Hi Becky and welcome to the forums. Thanks for telling us a bit about yourself. It is a very worth introduction for the cointest. Don't fell shy about jumping into any of the discussions and having your say - The more the merrier! :)

Hello coinaholics ;o)

I'm Tash from Salisbury, England and this is my first post! I started geocaching a month ago after hearing about it from a friend and it didn't take long for the addiction to kick in! I only own one GC but my cursor keeps finding itself hovering over the 'Add to Cart' button on various websites! I have managed to restrain myself well so far but I don't think it will be long until my collection starts to grow! I love finding trackables in caches and if I feel I can help them with their journeys will always move them along, and try to take photos too.

My caching name is noodlefrog. The 'noodle' part after my 5yr old son who we nicknamed Noodles as a baby, and the 'frog' part after my very-nearly-3yr old daughter whom we call Froggy. Poor children! We usually all go caching together as it's a great way to get the kids outdoors, letting off steam and keeping active. It's amazing how far you can get small legs to walk when there's 'treasure' involved!

I also enjoy photography (or did before I broke my nice camera!) and scrapbooking but most of all enjoy my children and my busy life as their Mummy!

Edit: According to that bit on the side, this is my 2nd post. Apologies for the outright lie! Can't for the life of me remember where I last posted though!

TWO posts! That disqualifies you straight off! ;)

But jokes aside... Welcome to Geocaching , geocoins and the forums. :) Thanks for telling us about yourself.

Funny how kids really want that treasure! - and to them it really is treasure they find in caches.

Scrapbooking... OK, I'm going to admit something here... :unsure: I make my own greeting cards... :o and I'm an Independent Demonstrator for Stampin' Up! :blink:

Edited by keewee

Hi all!

My name is Ian, I'm 22 and I'm from Cheshire in the UK. I heard about geocaching a while back from a friend, but until the other week I hadn't given it much thought. Eventually though I found myself browsing the site and the forums, and after a few hours reading around the place I'd signed up and bought a GPS from Ebay. So far it's been one of the best impulse buys ever :D

There isn't really much to say about myself, but I'll try :unsure: I went to university but it turned out that I hate journalism, which sort of killed my career plan (become journalist, stay as journalist, retire). I used to work at a sports centre but was 'let go' when new management took over (I don't think he liked my flowing locks), and I've spend the last three years working as an office monkey for a large organisation. I call myself Monkeymox for a nerdy reason relating to a dispute at a friend's house about eight years ago over the game TimeSplitters 2, and it's been my online name of choice ever since. I ask not to be judged :P

I love walking, especially with my girlfriend (when she's back from uni). One of the reasons I'm enjoying geocaching is that it motivates me to go out on walks by myself, as most of my friends are scared of sunlight. My other main interests can be boiled down to reading, writing and gaming, but I've also loved collecting things for as long as I can remember. Rocks and crystals, mugs (I'm still not sure why), fantasy-themed ornaments, erasers (again, not sure why), books, foreign coins, old coins, magic tricks, several trading card games, replica weaponry, discworld stamps, McDonalds toys, Beano Comics, magazines... there are definitely more :P I never throw anything away either, because I still like to look at these things occasionally, but if I collect anything else I'm not going to have any room left. :o Imagine my mixture of delight and horror when I heard about the geocoin. At least they're small.

Following on from that, I'll ask a quick geocoin related question: I've seen some beautiful designs when browsing on the forums, Ebay and various online stores; are those of you who make geocoins generally linked to a related industry (metalwork, for example) or are the technical details left to third party manufacturers? I'm not sure I'd have a clue where to begin if I tried to make my own.

It's great to have discovered such an engaging hobby in geocaching. It's theoretically just as wonderful to have discovered geocoins, I'll just have to see how much of a beating my wallet can take once I'm really in to the swing of things...

See you all around :)

Following on from that, I'll ask a quick geocoin related question: I've seen some beautiful designs when browsing on the forums, Ebay and various online stores; are those of you who make geocoins generally linked to a related industry (metalwork, for example) or are the technical details left to third party manufacturers? I'm not sure I'd have a clue where to begin if I tried to make my own.

Hi Ian and welcome. :)

I think those who design beautiful and successful geocoins have design backgrounds or a creative flair. As for where to begin if trying to make your own, try this thread hear Geocoin and Trackable Minting, Geocoin Reference, Shipping, Activating, Adopting, Shopping, Courtesy, Do's & Don't Guide To Geocoins & FAQs! and do some searching in the forums on the topic. :)

OK, I'm a lurker :unsure: , but I will introduce myself. My name is Debbie. I'm from Washington state in the USA. My Geoname is LayDBugz. This came about from lurking on the forums BEFORE my first find. I stumbled on a thread about signature items, and must confess that I came up with an idea for a signature item and decided to change my user name (can't even remember what my original name was now!?) :blink: I found my first cache in January...and I'm hooked!! Have slowly been introducing family members to the obsession, and I'm happy to report I have converted a few!! :lol:

I have one coin that I adopted from a thread called "Pay It Forward", I think that was it. Anyways, my coin was adopted from Norway, with a goal of reaching me in Washington. Has been fun to watch the progress of my coin move (although it hasn't gone far yet!) I'm trying to NOT get addicted to collecting coins. :blink: I will admit I can have an addictive personality, and I'm trying to not go down that road! I have a ridiculous number of beanie babies from a collecting frenzy many, many years ago. While the coins would take up considerably less space, financially it is just not possible. I'm also not sure I could release any of the beautiful coins I have seen pictures of or been fortunate to spot in a cache. There are some brave cachers to release these guys "into the wild!" However, I did release my first travelbug this week. So exciting!! :D Can't wait to release a few more and watch their journeys.

keewee--as a side note, I LOVE Stampin' UP! I've toyed with the idea of becoming a demonstrator, just not a good time right now with the economy. I went to a workshop just last week and placed an order for the sale-a-bration free sets! I make all my own cards and try to not just 'collect' supplies!! :o:D

Would love to meet some of you on the trails,

LayDBugz

OK, I'm a lurker :unsure: , but I will introduce myself. My name is Debbie. I'm from Washington state in the USA. My Geoname is LayDBugz. This came about from lurking on the forums BEFORE my first find. I stumbled on a thread about signature items, and must confess that I came up with an idea for a signature item and decided to change my user name (can't even remember what my original name was now!?) :blink: I found my first cache in January...and I'm hooked!! Have slowly been introducing family members to the obsession, and I'm happy to report I have converted a few!! :lol:

I have one coin that I adopted from a thread called "Pay It Forward", I think that was it. Anyways, my coin was adopted from Norway, with a goal of reaching me in Washington. Has been fun to watch the progress of my coin move (although it hasn't gone far yet!) I'm trying to NOT get addicted to collecting coins. :blink: I will admit I can have an addictive personality, and I'm trying to not go down that road! I have a ridiculous number of beanie babies from a collecting frenzy many, many years ago. While the coins would take up considerably less space, financially it is just not possible. I'm also not sure I could release any of the beautiful coins I have seen pictures of or been fortunate to spot in a cache. There are some brave cachers to release these guys "into the wild!" However, I did release my first travelbug this week. So exciting!! :D Can't wait to release a few more and watch their journeys.

keewee--as a side note, I LOVE Stampin' UP! I've toyed with the idea of becoming a demonstrator, just not a good time right now with the economy. I went to a workshop just last week and placed an order for the sale-a-bration free sets! I make all my own cards and try to not just 'collect' supplies!! :o:D

Would love to meet some of you on the trails,

LayDBugz

Hello Debbie and welcome to geocaching, geocoins and the forums :)

Collecting coins is very, very, bad! ;) Yes, it can be expensive - the key is to be highly selective and not to buy everything under the sun. Good luck with your traveling geocoin - may it travel far and wide.

I toyed with becoming a demonstrator for a very long time, but finally signed up in June last year when they were having a special. I absolutely love the products... I am my best customer by far :laughing:

I don't have many customers yet :( - I really need to build up the numbers!!!

Hi my name is Tara Morningstar(how I chose my geocaching name) ( mom was reading Gone with the wind when she was carring me), caching name is Scarlett_Ohara I discovered Geocaching watching an episode of law and Order on Jan 1, 2011 and immediatly got hooked.I take care of my ederly grandma so I needed a way to get out and breathe, geocaching alowwed that. Started looking at ebay to see what cointainers to be on the lookout for to help me on my quest.Hence, I discovered the geocoins. My dad is an artist so I fell in love with the coins.www.artbygregorybeck.com always want to share his art with others. The coins were works of art to me. I don't really know alot about them so i am just learning and trying to get some history on how they started. Like who made the first coin? What makes one coin more sought after then another. I have gotten a couple just through ebay and just by what interested me. I am very new to the forums. Thanks

Hi! My name is Chris but I go by Kameharem which is a screen name I have used for many years and is derived of a portion of my middle name and a portion of a school yard nickname which I combined to create my unique forum, blog, and now caching name.

I recieved a GPSr for christmas and have been caching ever since, I had already signed up to the site and learned about and knew it was for me because I also like to hike and go flyfishing and this for me was right in the same vien. My other interests include soccer, GO SOUNDERS!, and less known music. I cache with my family alot but also by myself when they are all too busy.

I have one geocoin of my own which I received with a geocache starter pack and I have requested a Pay-it-forward coin but have not started that one yet. I thought I wanted to start collecting coins but I enjoy watching them travel, I always read where the coins I have moved have been, so I don't know if I could stand to hold them and not send them out into the world.

Anyway, Hi All and it's nice to meet you.

K

Hi !

My name is Sascha a.k.a. L_Y_H which are the initials of my daughter's name (2 1/2 years old). I live near Trier, the oldest city of Germany und am working in a bank in the IT.

I found my first cache on 10/10/10 and exspecially love family friendly caches where I can L_Y_H and my wife with me. At the moment I have only one geocoin, the Red Square Moscow Geocoin that follows me from cache to cache.

Thanks for this cointest and for choosing me ;)

Hello all, I am one of the threeamigoz. The other threeamigoz are my hubby and 4 yr old son. We live in Bend Oregon. The hubs works in a paper mill in the valley, and I am currently going to school for nursing. I also work at a cafe twice a week. With that said we really do not get alot of time to go out and geocache, but we always try! We got into geocaching when I stumbled upon one while metal detecting. I found this container, wrapped in camo duck tape, hidden in a bush. I pulled it out, opened it up and started reading all the logs. I couldn't figure out what everyone was writing! TFTC, TFTF, FTF, left car, took toy, and so on. I decided to write our email in there, with a quick note saying what is this? Some kind of secret club? I put the cache back where I found it and wondered for awhile. After months of no emails, it finally dawned on me! Geocaching! I Heard of this one day, but couldn't remember where. Google came to the rescue! I read all that I could find on it, and talked my hubs into buying me a GPS. One week later we were off and running. My son loves it, and he begs to go all the time. I also got my sister and brother in law into it, and now we go on caching trips! It has been almost one year, and I'm so glad to have found this very addictive sport. It has taken me to places I would never known existed! My question is, how do you control yourself from buying every coin out there?

Well seeing as how I'm fairly new to the forums I might as well chime in...my names Ernie and I'm from Kentucky, geocaching name is Hilbilly_Ern and I've being doing it since June of 2010. I just recently logged my 200th find :). I cache with my wife Queena and our three children whom are all girl (lucky me right lol) Bethany who is 12, Kristin who is 11 and Amber who is 7 and we all love it. I just recently found what I have been told is a collectible coin so I have just one. It is a red duck with a black bowtie and is a MWGB geochick coin that has miachk#2 where the tracking number should be. I thought it to be almost poetic finding this coin seeing as I'm constantly surrounded by females lol. Anyway that's me in a nutshell. Cool contest and good luck to all.

Hello everyone! love this cointest!

My name is Jill & my caching name is sheltiedogshowlover. I'm from Canandaigua NY and I am recreation therapist in a nursing home and teach dog classes part time.

I came up with my handle since my other passion (besides my new addiction to geocaching) is my dogs. I have 3 shelties (Dawn, Luke and Leia) and an Aussie (Kaylee) who has been geocaching with me and my husband. She's the dog in my avatar. We compete in agility (dog obsticle courses), obedience, rally obedience, conformation (traditional dog shows), and flyball. We also play a bit in herding and tracking.

I actually found geocaching because the judge at our last agility trial told me about it during our judges dinner. I went home, joined the forum and started caching with my husband shortly after. So I'm completely new to geocaching but have found 20 caches so far. I have an addictive personality and love caching.. so much that this weekend we went to Target and used the last of our gift cards from our wedding to pick up a GPS unit for me since he uses his phone app.

I have no coins yet (though I'm hoping to adopt one in the adoption thread) but have picked up two travel bugs I hope to move along this weekend.

My question is how many coins are actually out there?!

Thanks for this cointest!

Hi my name is Tara Morningstar(how I chose my geocaching name) ( mom was reading Gone with the wind when she was carring me), caching name is Scarlett_Ohara I discovered Geocaching watching an episode of law and Order on Jan 1, 2011 and immediatly got hooked.I take care of my ederly grandma so I needed a way to get out and breathe, geocaching alowwed that. Started looking at ebay to see what cointainers to be on the lookout for to help me on my quest.Hence, I discovered the geocoins. My dad is an artist so I fell in love with the coins.www.artbygregorybeck.com always want to share his art with others. The coins were works of art to me. I don't really know alot about them so i am just learning and trying to get some history on how they started. Like who made the first coin? What makes one coin more sought after then another. I have gotten a couple just through ebay and just by what interested me. I am very new to the forums. Thanks

Hi Tara and welcome to geocoins :)

Thanks for the introduction, love Law and Order - was it a new or old episode?

Like who made the first coin?

Good quesiton. Will try and find the answers for you (for trackable and non-trackable)

What makes one coin more sought after then another.

Many things. Sometimes it comes down to personal preferences, it could be that a coin is desirable due to the design, who made it, rarity, topic. It seems that there are some geocoin that everyone wants to get their hands on, and others that people just don't want. There is sometimes no rhyme or reason to it.

Hi! My name is Chris but I go by Kameharem which is a screen name I have used for many years and is derived of a portion of my middle name and a portion of a school yard nickname which I combined to create my unique forum, blog, and now caching name.

I recieved a GPSr for christmas and have been caching ever since, I had already signed up to the site and learned about and knew it was for me because I also like to hike and go flyfishing and this for me was right in the same vien. My other interests include soccer, GO SOUNDERS!, and less known music. I cache with my family alot but also by myself when they are all too busy.

I have one geocoin of my own which I received with a geocache starter pack and I have requested a Pay-it-forward coin but have not started that one yet. I thought I wanted to start collecting coins but I enjoy watching them travel, I always read where the coins I have moved have been, so I don't know if I could stand to hold them and not send them out into the world.

Anyway, Hi All and it's nice to meet you.

K

Hi Chris, thanks for telling us about yourself. I would love to send more coin traveling but have got sick of them disappearing. It is so annoying! So make sure you don't send any you treasure out traveling.

Hi !

My name is Sascha a.k.a. L_Y_H which are the initials of my daughter's name (2 1/2 years old). I live near Trier, the oldest city of Germany und am working in a bank in the IT.

I found my first cache on 10/10/10 and exspecially love family friendly caches where I can L_Y_H and my wife with me. At the moment I have only one geocoin, the Red Square Moscow Geocoin that follows me from cache to cache.

Thanks for this cointest and for choosing me ;)

Hi Sascha, Thanks for playing the game and coming out of lurking. :)