COINTEST: The Stop Lurking and come Introduce Yourself

keewee

We've been caching for a little over a year and have three coins, an Operation Iraqi Freedom Coin, an Air Force Coin and a Magic Geocoin. We are currently located in South Florida and are finding it more difficult to locate the caches here then when we were in Georgia. We started caching when I found out about it through a friend I play World of Warcraft with online. He was telling a story about going caching with his mom and I thought it would be a great thing to do with my kids and the rest of my family if they were willing. My mom got hooked and now goes during her lunch hour and on weekends to find caches. We usually go on the weekend and try to find as many as we can in a day or two. I was wondering if anyone has any advice about taking a photo of the coins and using them to travel around instead of the actual coin. I am a bit worried about losing the coins we have moving around and found a cache where a picture of the coin was used and it started me thinking so I thought I'd ask others what their thoughts were on this. I think that Geocaching is a great activity and it has really brought my family together and has helped us work as a team trying to locate the hides and it gets us out of the house without having to spend a lot of money.

TeamWizKidz

Hello Ness!

Did you post participate in this cointest before you got the coins?

If yes, why you are withdrawing?

I do not know what Keewee has to say, but since that when you firstly posted you didn't have that number of coins, you are ok!

I am saying this, with the thinking of: since this cointest is ending on 30th of March, I amnot allowed to win or to buy or to get a gift coin from someone, after my post, just becasue I might pass the limit of coins or change the number?

I had 6 plus 1 coins and not I have 11! Am I out too? We are still new members and with a very small number of coins!

This coinstest is mostly for get closer, know something about other geocachers etc! Right? :)

Ok, can I post 2 questions once again? One has to do with geocoins and the other....not! :)

My GC question is: How can we know which company minted a coin that we won or took from trade? If we want to activate it, from where shall we take the code? How can I know which company has the code?

And....my other question is: Keewee!!! Can you please tell me something about your beautiful banknotes?

Is the paper 5$ banknote still in circulation or there is only the polymer one? (I have none, but since they look the same....) Oh! And...did the commemorative 10$ banknote for the millenium....ever came out in circulation? Is it still out there? ;) What I am asking now!!! :)

Hi, my name is Hans. I'm new but I don't qualify. Have:

-15 posts

-1 geocoin and 5 samples

-12 incoming trades from my Swedish Moose Geocoin.

-30 Found caches

-6 Hidden caches

Since I am spending more and more time here at the forum I might as well introduce me a bit more.

My name is Hans and I live near Boden in the north of Sweden. Not so far from the arctic circle.

I am married to Nenne_ and we have two children. A boy and a girl.

I have a background as a photographer and software developer. I am now self employed.

I started with Geocaching in november 2007. I have only found 30 caches yet. Why so few?

There is a saying about the weather where I live:

We have 8 months of winter

and 4 months of bad skiing :)

When I started caching there was only 4 caches in my town. Only one of them available at winter. After I have placed my 6 caches there are now 10 caches in my town! Six of them available at winter.

With so few caches in my area I got more and more interested in Geocoins. I started to hang out at the Swedish geocaching site. There I found out that I just missed the Swedish 2007 Geocoin. I started a thread about a Swedish 2008 Geocoin and ended up making my first coin. The Swedish moose Geocoin.

And here I am now. Lurking in the forum trying to learn more about Geocoins getting more and more hooked... And loving it! :)

I´m trying to get my family more interested in cashing. They have all been caching with me. And now when my wife saw my coin samples she is SO hooked on Geocoins that you can't believe it!

hehe or maybe you can from what I have gathered :D

My wife now wants to make a more beautiful coin than mine... Ah well... what can I say. She's the one behind the Birka Geocoin.

I own 6 geocoins and 4 samples and got some trades coming in.

My question is:

After you have started a thread. Can you change the topic and/or the description?

Hi, my name is Hans. I'm new but I don't qualify. Have:

-15 posts

-1 geocoin and 5 samples

-12 incoming trades from my Swedish Moose Geocoin.

-30 Found caches

-6 Hidden caches

Since I am spending more and more time here at the forum I might as well introduce me a bit more.

My name is Hans and I live near Boden in the north of Sweden. Not so far from the arctic circle.

I am married to Nenne_ and we have two children. A boy and a girl.

I have a background as a photographer and software developer. I am now self employed.

I started with Geocaching in november 2007. I have only found 30 caches yet. Why so few?

There is a saying about the weather where I live:

We have 8 months of winter

and 4 months of bad skiing :)

When I started caching there was only 4 caches in my town. Only one of them available at winter. After I have placed my 6 caches there are now 10 caches in my town! Six of them available at winter.

With so few caches in my area I got more and more interested in Geocoins. I started to hang out at the Swedish geocaching site. There I found out that I just missed the Swedish 2007 Geocoin. I started a thread about a Swedish 2008 Geocoin and ended up making my first coin. The Swedish moose Geocoin.

And here I am now. Lurking in the forum trying to learn more about Geocoins getting more and more hooked... And loving it! :)

I´m trying to get my family more interested in cashing. They have all been caching with me. And now when my wife saw my coin samples she is SO hooked on Geocoins that you can't believe it!

hehe or maybe you can from what I have gathered :D

My wife now wants to make a more beautiful coin than mine... Ah well... what can I say. She's the one behind the Birka Geocoin.

I own 6 geocoins and 4 samples and got some trades coming in.

My question is:

After you have started a thread. Can you change the topic and/or the description?

Hello Hans!!!

Oh!!! A photographer who lives close to the arctic circle!!! That explains the beautiful photos in your gallery and the snow!!! Too much snow!!! WOW!!! :D

I like watching galleries! There are many beautiful places to see!!! :)

Here in Rhodes, we do not see snow! It is very rare!!!

I know what the samples are showing!!! :)

So... Welcome to the Forums - stop lurking and come introduce yourself to us today! :)

My name is Amy and I'm a new lurker and one of the newly geocoin obsessed. My husband signed us up with an account on here some time ago, not sure when. I'm in the Greater Seattle Area of Washington state. I'm planning on caching a lot more on my own. I've gone 3 times with my husband, John, and our 2 girls. What a blast! I've found that if I wait for everyone else to want to go with me I never go. So, my new motto is, "Pooh on them!" Bad mommy, I know. I've got a friend that's interested in trying this with me. I've got 6 geocoins in the mail to me and another 3 for birthday gifts for my sister in alaska. All I have to do now is pry the GPS out of my husbands hands. My parents gave it to "us" as a Christmas gift a few years ago, but I have yet to touch it. Yes, John is king of the remote and the GPS.

My question is:

How do you release a coin? Can you drop it in anyone's cache or do you need to place one of your own? I've seen several on sale that I was thinking of purchasing to release. With them being so inexpensive I'm not worried so much about it being lost. I know that once you release it it's going to eventually be lost. I may be "the finder of all things lost" in my home, but I know that doesn't hold true for the coin once it's released.

I've got ammo cans ready to place one of my own caches, but I'm not quite ready yet. I need a dozen or so more finds before I really know what to do to place my own. One of the coins I've got en route is a proximity coin. How do I know if there are others in the area I want to place my cache? Dang, that's 2 questions. Was there a limit for this contest? Son of a gun that's a 3rd question.

So, it's a big Howdy to all of you and you're down one less lurker.

Wow, I just went to my profile. I definitely qualify as a lurker. I've been signed up for 4 years and this will officially be my 2nd post and have officially visited a whopping 2 caches. 2 we found and a 3rd we didn't find because they had taken it in for maintenance and hadn't posted that it was gone. It's official, I'm a lurker no more.

Hi

Im René from Sweden, new on this but hooked :)

My husband started this in the family :) I din´t know what he was doing,

the kids did know I was a "muggler" at first :D so well I could not be

the only one in the family not knowing whats going on here....

So I did go for a treasure trip..

I did think, -Oh well what the heck! Let's try this out and see what this is all about..

My first traditional Cache was December 26, 2007 :) What a rush! :D

Loved it! :huh:

I go with my husband MotoCyckleBoi. I'm not so good at it yet but I am a

getting there :) I love to compete with my husband and kids to see who

will find the treasure first :)

I have only found three chaces.. but I promise it will be more :huh: But

it's a start -right? :)

Traditional Caches [3]

Geocoins 3

I am making my own design of a coin to... I admit I'm totally sold out

in coins...well I am a Jewelery designer and a graphics's, web, AD etc..

so it falls pretty natural for me to be totally lost in things who is

beautifully designed :D I'm like a bird called in Sweden "Korp" or

Raven? .. who LOVES all things who got a shine and glitter to it :D

so.. I will go hunting for those treasures here around, its hard up here

in the north to find many with all the snow thow... its not fun. I can´t

wait for the summer to come.

I am also werry shy and English is not my first lingua so It's hard to

write good.. Hope you can understand some of my scribbles... se ya :D

Nenne_

I'm Sarah / MamaOdy and recently started geocaching with my two young children (ages 2 and 4) and, occasionally, with my husband. Currently I have no geocoins although I've been eyeing some on eBay that I just love!

As for how my username came to be--well, the first part is self-explanatory and the second part is Ody...yes, I'm a "minivan mama" and drive an Odyssey. So we drive around in our Ody-mobile to get to caches. ;)

Greetings from Utah--

My name is Karen although I'm known in the geocaching world as Fearless0. Its more of a reminder of what I need to become more than what I am. Its just a name i've had since my early 20's.

I used to be an internet chatter YEARS ago but when I discovered I spent too much time on the internet, I quit. I'm here tonight because my brother (Smokey Bear Collector) told me to come check this out. So here I am. Smokey and I started caching back in September (?) and try to get together a couple times and do some caching. Its hard as I live in Utah, and he lives in California. But we try. We always have a great time together.

As far as geocoins go, I've discovered I LOVE GEOCOINS! They are such beautiful pieces of art. I've found when I find one I sure have a hard time passing it along (though of course I do). But I'm in agreement with the others--I don't see the point in keeping one permanetly.

My question is: How do you go about making one yourself? It costs so much money!

Hi fearless0,

We live in West Valley City. Hope to see you soon at an event! Look at the Utah page, the UTAG Spring event is up now. It's in May in Utah county.

Lynda

GBOTS

Guess I can join in :-)

My name is Jenn and I started geocaching about 2 weeks ago. I have been wanting to do it for about a year now and just bought the GPS while we were on vacation for spring break. I always go caching with my hubby and our 3 small children.

Our caching name is Logan_Clan. Not the most original, but we are the Logan's and the name is Scottish.

I am a stay at home Mom. Our kids are 6, 5, and 3. We have a very busy house :laughing: I have a knitting related business and am very active in the kids schools.

One of our first caches had a coin in it and I am now hooked on them. I love them and can't wait to collect more. At this time I don't have any coins in my possession.... but I did buy about 10 , they just are not here yet!

Jenn

Edited by Logan_Clan

Well we do not qualify, but wanted to introduce ourselves to all the new friends we have yet to meet.

T"n"T consists of Tracy and Tank or Tank and Tracy,, depending on who you're talking to,, We have been caching for just over a year and after I finish up the logs we will have found just over 1000 caches and have as many coins. Our collection has stopped growing the last few months due to a sad event. We hope to be able to continue with these great hobbies very soon.

We will add a few coins to the pot for more winners. Sending e-mail now.

Mufflon question:

What makes a metal type more "valuable" than another? Coins often comes in limited numbers and one metal is usually more limited than the others but to me it seems totally random which is choosen as the limited one. Sometimes one that goes very well with the coin and sometimes not.

Yes, I think we've all seen that. It is a personal question that people who've minted will have to jump in and answer, but what I suspect happens is that in some instances people choose the metal they like the best to be the general release of a particular coin, and other times people choose the metal they like best to be their personal edition, or Limited Edition.

I just got around to reading through these. We could have told them to run,,,,,,,,

As to why we make different metals the limited ones. I think it is like keewee said, all a matter of choice. Tank has always picked the one he liked the most as a standard to allow the most of them made and to be seen.

Now that it is too late to run,,,,,, Welcome to our family!!!!!

Edited by T"n"T

I'll be jumping in here tomorrow night. I apologize for my absence - it has been an interesting week and a half: camping at easter event; travel to other end of the country for Duran Duran concert and then at very short notice my wife being appoint to a project team starting today at the other end of the country! Project is at least 5 months long, and she spends Monday to Thursday away from home :laughing: I can handle it... I just hope rattusbaggus can.

So, anyway - I'll be back in here tomorrow night to catch up on everything. (I guess that gives people another 18 hours or so to post!!!)

And I have also received a very generous offer of another couple of Geocoins for Prizes...

Hello all, my name is Harley aka 4th Jean. The name came from being a 4th generation Jean. I have been watching all the fun and enjoyment my father gets from being on the forum, so I asked if I could check it out. I have been caching for a while now, since june 2006, but today is the first day on the forums. As I said my name is Harley, I am from West Virginia, but was born in North Carolina (New Bern). My father and brother introduced me to geocaching after they learned about it at a Scout Camporee. We have had tons of fun together since. I currently have (3) geocoins with plans to get more, they a just so neat. Guess I better get started on those chorus, HuH, LOL! So young to have an addiction lol. I am currently a student and my hobbies include hiking, geocaching, camping, helping animals and a new desire to delve into the world of geocoins. My father plans on attending Geocoinfest this year and I hope to go with him, it would be nice to meet others with same interests. I do have a question about the geocoins, and probably wont be the last, What are all the editions of a coin, and why so many? Well maybe that was two. Im not sure I qualify for this, but I at least wanted to introduce myself as I did not see another place to do so. Looking forward to the forums,

Have a good day!!!!!!!! :)

I do have a question about the geocoins, and probably wont be the last, What are all the editions of a coin, and why so many?

Many coins are released in more than one color and/or metal finish, also called an edition. The person that designed or is minting the coin decides how many different editions to make. It is very popular to have one or two RE (regular editions) that are available for the general public thorough trade or sale, and then to have a LE (limited edition) or AE (artist edition) which are typically a small amount of coins done in different colors or metals than the regular editions and normally only available only from the designer/artist of the coin. Also, if a coin is very popular and sells out quickly, often the designer of the coin will decide to make more, but in a new edition.

Welcome to the addiction :D and don't try to collect every version of every coin. :)

My question is:

How do you release a coin? Can you drop it in anyone's cache or do you need to place one of your own? I've seen several on sale that I was thinking of purchasing to release. With them being so inexpensive I'm not worried so much about it being lost. I know that once you release it it's going to eventually be lost. I may be "the finder of all things lost" in my home, but I know that doesn't hold true for the coin once it's released.

If you purchase a coin, the first thing you have to do is retrieve the activation code. Usually there is a small paper that comes with the coin that either has the code written on it, or a website to go to to get the activation code. Some code sites only let you retrieve the code once, so make sure you write it down. Then, you have to go to the

geocaching activation page and in the box that says activate trackable item, type in the number written on the coin. It will then ask for the activation code that you retrieved. Once acitvated, the coin will apprear in your account inventory, and you will have the option of editing the coin page or uploading photos. When you want to drop it in a cache, you can either log a find on a new cache, or post a note on your own cache, or a cache you have found previously. On the bottom of the page where you write your log entry or note, there will be a box that lists any travel bugs or geocoins you are holding in your inventory. Select the ones you want to drop in the cache, click ok, and you are done!

I've got ammo cans ready to place one of my own caches, but I'm not quite ready yet. I need a dozen or so more finds before I really know what to do to place my own. One of the coins I've got en route is a proximity coin. How do I know if there are others in the area I want to place my cache?

If you do search for caches using your zip code, a list of caches will come up. Click on any cache, and if you are logged in, you will see a map on the cache page. Click on the map, and a geocaching google map will open up showing a map of your zip code area with all the active caches in the area marked on the map. This is a quick and easy way to locate groups of caches near each other, or to see if there is already a cache in an area that you are thinking about hiding a new cache in. :)

So, it's a big Howdy to all of you and you're down one less lurker.

My GC question is: How can we know which company minted a coin that we won or took from trade? If we want to activate it, from where shall we take the code? How can I know which company has the code?

Most coins come with a little paper in the plastic coin flip that has a website listed to get the activation code. If that is not there, just post a question in the forums about the particular coin that you want to activate, and someone will know the answer and help you out. :)

My question is:

You can edit a post for about a day after you posted it. After that, you have to send a request to one of the forum moderators to edit your post or change your title for you. The easiest way to do that is to go to the post that you want to change. Underneath the post, there is a "report abuse" button. Clicking that button will open up an email window to the moderaters. Write down what changes you want them to make, and when they get your message, they will make the changes for you. Just rememeber that the moderators are volunteers and do have lives outside of the coin forums, so don't get upset if the post or thread doesn't get edited immediately. :)

OK, here are the prizes. Many thanks to T''N''T for offering an additional 2 geocoins for prizes - thank you very much for your generosity!!

I will do the draw in the next few minutes and post the winner names here, as well as contacting them via their Groundspeak profiles.

Winner #1 (GeoTag geocoin) -

Winner #2 (California 2006 geocoin) -

Winner #3 (GeoJellies 3 geocoin) -

Winner #4 (Waypoint geocoin) -

Winner #5 (Quilt coin) -

Firstly, let me say thank you to all those who took part. And I am sorry that you can't all receive a geocoin. There were over 50 names in the hat... actually it was a coffee mug... so it was good to see we drew so many lurkers out :laughing:

The second name I drew out was 'Nutella Fairy', but then realized that she did not want to receive a coin, so redrew. I hope this was the correct action Nutella Fairy.

I have sent a message to all winners via their Groundspeak profiles.

And here they are....

Winner #1 (GeoTag geocoin) - Studio925

Winner #2 (California 2006 geocoin) - Terrier Team

Winner #3 (GeoJellies 3 geocoin) - zoesbrother

Winner #4 (Waypoint geocoin) - NeoAddict

Winner #5 (Quilt coin) - sweetpea_flower

*many thanks to T''N''T for the donation of an additional 2 geocoins

*many thanks to those who helped market this thread and whom helped answer questions

*many thanks to you all for taking part

Congratulations to all of you.

People are still welcome to post in this thread and introduce themselves, or ask a question.

There are still some unanswered questions which I will work through over the next few days.

Edited by keewee

All the winners have contacted me know, so I'll get these coins and "extra's" packaged up and posted <_<

I feel bad that they are all heading to North America, so am going to draw more names out until I get to one from somewhere else and they too will win a geocoin, etc :unsure:

Back shortly with that name. :D

Hi

Im René from Sweden, new on this but hooked <_<

My husband started this in the family :D I din´t know what he was doing,

the kids did know I was a "muggler" at first :unsure: so well I could not be

the only one in the family not knowing whats going on here....

So I did go for a treasure trip..

I did think, -Oh well what the heck! Let's try this out and see what this is all about..

My first traditional Cache was December 26, 2007 :D What a rush! :D

Loved it! :D

I go with my husband MotoCyckleBoi. I'm not so good at it yet but I am a

getting there :D I love to compete with my husband and kids to see who

will find the treasure first :D

I have only found three chaces.. but I promise it will be more :D But

it's a start -right? :D

Traditional Caches [3]

Geocoins 3

I am making my own design of a coin to... I admit I'm totally sold out

in coins...well I am a Jewelery designer and a graphics's, web, AD etc..

so it falls pretty natural for me to be totally lost in things who is

beautifully designed :D I'm like a bird called in Sweden "Korp" or

Raven? .. who LOVES all things who got a shine and glitter to it :D

so.. I will go hunting for those treasures here around, its hard up here

in the north to find many with all the snow thow... its not fun. I can´t

wait for the summer to come.

I am also werry shy and English is not my first lingua so It's hard to

write good.. Hope you can understand some of my scribbles... se ya :D

Nenne_

WELCOME ! ! ! And another from Sweden. I guess the snow is starting to melt over there :D This is a good place to start practicing your English!

Fairyhoney

i am not a real newbie to coins as i was one of the first folks to buy the canadian coins when they first came out, the very first geocoins! but since i took a break from geocaching the whole coin thing has exploded and the quality and beauty of what is being released is amazing. i had to restrain myself as i looked at all the wonderful coins out there. i pre-ordered one from coins and pins for a caching friends birthday, Nocturne, two of the lord of the caches coins and one of the tranquility coins in antique bronze that i just read about from castle coins

i don't plan on releasing them. last time around i made them "keepable" and not necessarily travelers. they didn't last on the road very long. which makes them expensive swag! but who knows, i may move them along at least in special caches.

i prefer to leave sig items or useful things but i do love to see the coins! i guess that means with what is coming, i will have four coins briefly.

i am a pro photographer and writer, used to work for newspaper, but newly on medical leave for a while. more time for geocaching!

lara

wait, i just remembered, a friend sent me one of the little peeps coins and two from her geocaching event at sunriver the past two years. so i actually have three here at home. how could i forget!

Edited by RedShoesGirl

All the winners have contacted me know, so I'll get these coins and "extra's" packaged up and posted :)

I feel bad that they are all heading to North America, so am going to draw more names out until I get to one from somewhere else and they too will win a geocoin, etc :)

Back shortly with that name. :)

OK - it took 9 draws before I came up with a non-North America name. And that winner is.... Nenne_

Congratulations, an email coming your way. :)

If people keep posting in here, introducing themselves then I might be persuaded to draw a winner each month to send a geocoin to... :)

Please, if you have already posted, do not post again. 1 Entry per cacher only.

Oh my :P:D I don´t use to win anything :D wow Thank you so much :D :D B) This will be a tresure to hold tight :D a coin from Keewee B):) :) Long way to travel here :)

fairyhoney: Thanks, I will try my best to practise english :) And no not yet, the snow is still here :D

Benchmarks are solid objects set into something sturdy -- like the ground, a cement monument, or a building -- and used by surveyors to determine exact positions and altitudes via manual distance/angle measurement and calculation. It's sort of like a precursor to GPS; a benchmark is a reference point for an exact spot on earth. Try the benchmarking forums for more information.

Benchmarks are solid objects set into something sturdy -- like the ground, a cement monument, or a building -- and used by surveyors to determine exact positions and altitudes via manual distance/angle measurement and calculation. It's sort of like a precursor to GPS; a benchmark is a reference point for an exact spot on earth. Try the benchmarking forums for more information.

Oh! thank you!!! We have these in Greece too, but I do not think anyone is interested on them!

I thought they were geocoins! :P

Oh! thank you!!! We have these in Greece too, but I do not think anyone is interested on them!

I thought they were geocoins! :lol:

Hogwild Stuff have a series of geocoins that celebrate Benchmarks. Each one in the series is a representation of the Benchmark. Have a look on their website.

Hi, I'm Steve, from Six Little Spookies. I'm not exactly a noob, more like a Seasoned Lurker! :) I've started hanging out in the Geocoin forum a lot lately as I've been weighing options and trying to get a coin or two of my own made. Time will tell if I am successful.

I am also a Collector of Many Things. US, Canadian, Australian and Japanese coins, Magic cards, Legos, action figures and shells (especially coweries!) are the major things I collect. Geocoins are the latest additions to my collection of collections! In the almost 2 years I've been caching I've accumulated around a hundred of them. I activate all the ones I plan on keeping and take them events when I can. I don't go in for non-trackables much, but I did find a Geomuse 2006 on a trip to Atlanta in late 2006. I puzzled for quite a long time over how it was supposed to be tracked!

Spooky 2 (my wife) is from North Carolina, so when I found out about GeoWoodstock 5 I immediately started pushing for a trip to the in-laws on that weekend! I was successful in my persuasion and was able to get out and meet a lot of you fabulous folks, including Karma (Dorkfish), Tank and Tracy (T"n"T), Team Sand Dollar, 3 Doxies, CastleMan, Mama Cache, Team Anthus and many others. It was a great event to have as my 200th cache.

I leave Australian Pennies (the big pre-decimal ones) in caches as a signature item. My question is related to them. Does anybody know a good way to stamp or engrave either numbers or my name onto them to personalize them a little more?

Edited by Six Little Spookies

Hi, I'm Steve, from Six Little Spookies. I'm not exactly a noob, more like a Seasoned Lurker! :) I've started hanging out in the Geocoin forum a lot lately as I've been weighing options and trying to get a coin or two of my own made. Time will tell if I am successful.

I am also a Collector of Many Things. US, Canadian, Australian and Japanese coins, Magic cards, Legos, action figures and shells (especially coweries!) are the major things I collect. Geocoins are the latest additions to my collection of collections! In the almost 2 years I've been caching I've accumulated around a hundred of them. I activate all the ones I plan on keeping and take them events when I can. I don't go in for non-trackables much, but I did find a Geomuse 2006 on a trip to Atlanta in late 2006. I puzzled for quite a long time over how it was supposed to be tracked!

Spooky 2 (my wife) is from North Carolina, so when I found out about GeoWoodstock 5 I immediately started pushing for a trip to the in-laws on that weekend! I was successful in my persuasion and was able to get out and meet a lot of you fabulous folks, including Karma (Dorkfish), Tank and Tracy (T"n"T), Team Sand Dollar, 3 Doxies, CastleMan, Mama Cache, Team Anthus and many others. It was a great event to have as my 200th cache.

I leave Australian Pennies (the big pre-decimal ones) in caches as a signature item. My question is related to them. Does anybody know a good way to stamp or engrave either numbers or my name onto them to personalize them a little more?

Hi Steve, There was a thread by 007BigD where he recently mentioned where he'd gotten his from. I will see if I can locate it and will post back in here.

Oh, and welcome :mad:

Hi Steve, There was a thread by 007BigD where he recently mentioned where he'd gotten his from. I will see if I can locate it and will post back in here.

Oh, and welcome :mad:

See post # 144 in this thread --> FINALLY MY OWN COIN

If people keep posting in here, introducing themselves then I might be persuaded to draw a winner each month to send a geocoin to... :)

Please, if you have already posted, do not post again. 1 Entry per cacher only.

Since there doesn't seem to be interest in this continuing as am on going cointest, I will close the cointest aspect of this thread, but this thread is here for people to drop in to, introduce them selves and ask any questions they'd like to regarding geocoins.

So please, anyone, feel free to drop in here and introduce yourselves to the community. We are here to welcome you and answer any questions you have. :)

Hey All:

I'm Michael, A.K.A. Nashuan. I've posted some of this info a few times, so please bear with me. My addiction of geocoin collecting started when I was looking for a specific kind of wrought iron grill work, depicting the points of a compass. I was on Ebay and plugged in the term "compass rose". I did find what I was looking for (remember these words), but I also found some 2006 gold Compass Rose thing. What the heck was this????? I opened the auction and was instantly hooked. Although I had already owned a GPS for a couple of years for hiking, I had never heard of caching. Being insatiably curious (good trait for a geocacher), I followed the information trail to geocaching.com.

I started out buying coins from the auction block at (for me) a blistered pace, starting around February of this year and though finances have slowed me down a little, I'm always looking for coins of interest. When I found the "geocoin Discussions" forum, I started to follow it, hoping to get a little insight on what designs are coming down the pike. And though I have been finding that, my real surprise has been in discovering the forum community. I can't tell you how impressed I've been reading the posts and responses from all you good people. I love the cointests and the concept of mystery coins, but most importantly, I am most impressed with the free exchanges of ideas, the helpfullness of the members. I hope to get to know you all in the upcoming months/years.

As for me, I am (currently) 45 years old, LOVE photography, woodworking, stained glass work, backpacking, scuba diving, artist signed post card collecting and a myriad of other interests. The rest of me will have to wait, I just realized I'm late for work.

Cache On!

Michael

hiya everyone

you have probably seen me posting recently but i just spotted this cointest and thought i would have a try.

im heather im 33 and i live in the highlands of scotland. i joined the Groundspeak website about 5 years ago when i first heard about and got interested in geocaching. i didnt have a gps at the time and due to lack of money at the time i failed to get hold of a gps, even though i tried so hard. anyway i kind of dropped from this site as i couldnt do any searching without a gps (im not a native to these parts so i couldnt blag it).

i recently came back here after an online friend mentioned she had tried caching and liked it. i regret not sticking at it those years ago.

i attempted my first and only cache so far the other week, but that was before i got my gps. i attempted the search with a road sat-nav. it got me to the vague area but ended up talking me in a circle with the pointer not very settled. so that was a failed attempt as my husband and child were getting bored and fed up sitting in the car for 2 hours. i didnt want to give up that day but i had to.

today i have finally got my gps delivered to me for my birthday. i am currently learning how to use it and am inputting local caches to go and find.

in a day or 2 i will get out there and start to make my mark in the logs.

i am a bit of a magpie at heart because i love to collect things like frogs and special books. and i hope to be able to start finding some coins to make another collection that i can enjoy remembering about.

i am an arty crafter and like to create handmade books and other unique creations. i love to read and am a bookcrosser, so i am planning to hide a new bookcrossing related cache sometime once i am established.

Hi Heather and welcome to Geocaching and geocoins :D

i attempted my first and only cache so far the other week, but that was before i got my gps. i attempted the search with a road sat-nav. it got me to the vague area but ended up talking me in a circle with the pointer not very settled. so that was a failed attempt as my husband and child were getting bored and fed up sitting in the car for 2 hours. i didnt want to give up that day but i had to.

Never give up on a cache :D :D I'm surprised they weren't out there helping you - tell them there is treasure to be found, that will usually get kids especially interested.

today i have finally got my gps delivered to me for my birthday. i am currently learning how to use it and am inputting local caches to go and find.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY and congratulations on getting a GPS

i am an arty crafter and like to create handmade books and other unique creations. i love to read and am a bookcrosser, so i am planning to hide a new bookcrossing related cache sometime once i am established.

And with those skills I bet you could come up with an awesome 'Signature Item' too!

[A signature item is an item usually made by the cacher to drop into caches and to give to others as a personal calling card - see Signature Item Tracking Site for example of what I am talking about]

Hi all I am new to caching and coins my 12 yearold son(Mickey) is into the coins more than I, we both enjoy caching I am planning on buying a couple of coins for my soon inthe near future. My family and I are looking forward to a long stay here on the forum

Welcome to our crazy world Email sent would love to send your son a geocoin to get him started :)