COINTEST: The Stop Lurking and come Introduce Yourself

keewee

Hi I'm Randy. Just started geocaching a few weeks ago. I have found 4 caches so far, two others I didn't find. I don't know what a geocoin is but one of the caches I found had a travel bug in it. I think goecoins are like travel bugs right? Some people really get imaginative when they hide these things. One hint said if you can't find this one you shouldn't be geocaching. I haven't been able to find it yet. Anyway I would like to go to a group geocaching event sometime if there is one in the Atlanta, Ga. area to talk with other cachers and see what kind of gear they use etc. Sort of like a meet and greet? Do they have something like that? Good forum. Always check your coords. :anibad:

This morning, I was thinking about this contest for lurkers.

The original instructions mentioned that the winner should be some what new to forums (I think this rule was change) but it occurred to me that a true lurker would have been a member longer without many posts.

Here are my calculations:

Number of days a forum member: 2911

Number of posts: 14

Posts per day 0.0048

Here are Keewee's calculations:

Number of days a forum member: 62

Number of posts: 862

Posts per day 13.9

Anyway, lurking has given me a lot of time to think about it. Thanks again for the cointest. I didn't know there were contests. It's fun!

Well, I definitely don't qualify. But am a recent entrant back into the forums.

Hi, My name is Linda / Butterfly and YES, I am a geocoin ADDICT. Even have a geocoin to prove it.... it goes to events with me. So Keewee if you are at the Easter egg hunt at Springs Junction, say hello and discover that coin.

Great cointest... hello to all the newbies / n00bies.

Great to see your posts.

Currently planning to be there with rattusbaggus. :anibad:

How many people stay the night, and where do they stay?

Hello. My name is Jim. I am a rather shy lurker who runs from controversy. I have a couple coins, but most of them are old like IndyDiver and such. I enjoy long walks on the beach, smog, extra cheese and pepperoni on my pizza, and thoughts of the old days when ammo cans ruled. One night I had a dream about jelly beans and the rest is history.

:o Oh well it was worth a try anyhow.

ROFLMAO!! :o:anibad:

Hello to all the newbies! What a fun contest kewee...do I qualify if I posted less than 30 times today and only looked at 10 coins???

Now where is that room service???

Nice try Jim... but thanks for dropping in all the same. So thats how the GeoJellies came about... the result of your dreams... scary really! :o

I have to agree - big caches are better (size does matter). Anyone can hide a micro anywhere... but it takes skill to hide an ammo can!

And Chantal - If you can post less than 30 times in a week I'll consider it :o

Opps - sorry, you've already looked at far too many coins today!

As for room service... try 555 1234 :o

Even better... get even... Start ringing direct dial numbers of your council...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LMAO

Hi Nikos (Gatoulis). Welcome and good luck with breaking that record.

1) Where I can find the mintages and the variations of all geocoins?

Hard Question. I'm not sure if there is any single source for that information. I know there are several projects around where people are trying to collect that information. One I think was being done by Anthus, who is putting together a commercial database product; There was someone else also gathering that info... and I can't remember who it was now. One way to try and find out, if it was for something specific, check out the thread for that coin, or contact the coin vendor or person who got it made directly. Anyone else?

2) Are GC collectable by variation (ant.gold, ant.silver, black nickel...) or you just have one of every design?

That is a personal question. I know people who pretty much only collect coins in a particular metal, gold for example. Me personally, If I like a design I'd usually try and get one coin in each metal... but finding that a bit expensive these days where people will do 5 or 6 variations of a coin.

3) I heard about pathtags! Then I heard about geotags! Are these the same? If not what is the difference???

Pathtags are trackable via another site. Geotags are significantly larger than a pathtag (at least double the diameter), and are a geocoin and thus trackable via geocaching.com. I found GeoTags a great way to have personalised coin at a low cost. They do come with some stigma though as there are people out there who will not touch them.

Many questions.... a huge post....Sorry!!!

No problem. If you never ask, they'll never get answered :anibad:

Miguel (bassmig) - good to hear from you. How do you get on with practising Bass with a little on in the house?

Hi Jason (churchrules). What an interesting way to get into, and do, you geocaching!!

Hi, dixiedawn here, real name Debbie, from Arizona. I'm new to the forums, and still fairly new to geocaching - made find #63 today. I definitely qualify on the number of coins owned. I "own" four, all released at the end of January 08. However, two have disappeared from a cache without being logged, and one disappeared along with the entire cache container, so I only have *one* that is still out there, at least on Mar 9th.

I guess I got into geocaching as another way to enjoy the outdoors. I've lived in this area for so many years, and been to most of the interesting areas - or so I thought. Geocaching has given me a new interest in exploring, and I've found places I didn't even know existed.

My question, well, is it too soon to lose hope on the two MIA coins ? It probably is, I know of a coin that was picked up by someone at a cache earlier that same day that I visited(said so in physical log) 6 weeks later they finally logged that they had found it "a couple weeks ago" at a different cache

Ok, different question, why is the Moun10bike coin so popular ? What's the story?

I'd like to get more coins, but I don't know if I'll take a chance on releasing any more into the wild unknown. Oops, is that the beginning of a new addiction of collecting?

Hi Debbie and welcome.

My question, well, is it too soon to lose hope on the two MIA coins ? It probably is, I know of a coin that was picked up by someone at a cache earlier that same day that I visited(said so in physical log) 6 weeks later they finally logged that they had found it "a couple weeks ago" at a different cache

Never lose hope. Somethings coins turn up many, many months later. They can get lost in someones bag or car just after being retrieved from a cache and finally get found and logged. Or they can be dropped in another cache, but not logged until someone else finally finds them. If you know who picked it up try contacting them via their profile.

Ok, different question, why is the Moun10bike coin so popular ? What's the story?

Moun10bike... popular? Really? Droooolll

Moun10bike was the first person to produce and release a trackable geocoin. That is what makes then so sought after. I hope to touch one someday. Then I will die happy :anibad:

I am Joan, the Mrs. of menace66. Not new to caching but relatively new to the forum.

We started caching in 2005, we had an empty nest and heard about geocaching. Our daughter is back and we have a 3 year old grandson who I love to spend my time with. Started collecting coins last year and have well over 300. Well that was before I went to order the easter bunnies today and they had the cutest ducks, chicks, birds and etch a cache. So now it is probably real close to 400. I do pretty good on buyng coins until I see some that would be perfect for kids. I enjoy spending time with kids because life is always exciting when you view it and live it through the eyes of a child. Keeps me young.

Hi Joan. Sounds like you are a geocoin addict too :o Maybe I should run a cointest for seasoned addicts? :o

a. introduce yourself - first name if you like, your caching name, and maybe how you came about it

b. tell us something about yourself, where you are from, what you do, what interests you

c. ask a question - preferably about geocoins - use this as a learning ground to find out something you want to know. Remember - no question is too dumb!

a. Avroair :anibad:

b. I like coins. I made my first coin so I could trade with Moun10bike for his. :o

c. Does having less posts make you a noob? Some people have over 1000 posts and still don't have a clue. :o

Hi Avroair, and welcome. Trade you a 2007 Generic for that Moun10bike :o

My name is April aka sweetpea_flower. I'm 36 years old and I live and work in Seattle. Yesterday, I was looking around the Groundspeak website and I realized that their location is close enough to my work that I probably could walk there. I wonder if they welcome the "pop in"?

I have been lurking until recently. I've completely lost my mind for geocoins. I am obsessed with ordering my own custom coins. I have been doing research and trying to convince myself that it isn't crazy to spend so much money to have some coins made.

I only have 2 geocoins but I really like them. They're pretty, have a nice weight to them, and support a good cause. Mental Illness awareness.

My question: how hard is it to resell geocoins? I want to support my geocoin habit so I can have more made but I'll need to recoup my expenses. Does anyone do this?

Also, what makes for a popular geocoin? I want incorporate my interests in a geocoin that is appealing to others, too.

Thanks for the cointest. I like reaching out even if I don't win.

I'm adding an edit so I can say... I joined in 2005 because my brother is a geocaching NUT! But I only started geocaching "for real" this early this year.

Hi April. Wish I lived closer to Seattle... sometimes... :o

My question: how hard is it to resell geocoins? I want to support my geocoin habit so I can have more made but I'll need to recoup my expenses. Does anyone do this?

Are you talking about selling a design you have had made, or coins you've already purchased? I think you are asking about the former. It comes down to appeal and uniqueness. Some designs sell out 300+ coins in a matter of minutes, others never really sell out. Some people pay all the costs up front and then onsell the coins with before they have arrived (presale) or once they have them in hand. This allows people to have more (total) control over the entire process, but involves a lot more work and risk. But at the end of the day it is cheaper, meaning that they can either sell the coins cheaper, or make a bit of money out of it. The other way is to take your design to one of the coin vendors, and if they like it then they may make and sell it for you. You will get payment for your design by way of free coins (usually). They may also do it as a preale arrangement. See the pinned forums at the top of Geocoin Discussions for more details. Hope I answered your question, if not let me know.

Also, what makes for a popular geocoin? I want incorporate my interests in a geocoin that is appealing to others, too.

That is a hard one as it is so personal. Sometimes it is the person behind the geocoin that makes it popular. Sometimes it is the unique design, or colorfulness, or or or... Any design is always going to have people who love it, and people who hate it.

I don't know if I qualify or not for this cointest, since I'm not all that new. But I've been pretty much lurking recently as I've gotten into coins, so I figure this was a good way to introduce myself. My name is Angela, Doctor A is my caching name. I'm a Clinical Psychologist, recently relocated to Fresno, CA. I was introduced to caching by my family. Sister got started into it first, got parents hooked and they dragged me out. I didn't do a whole lot of caching until the last year or so and especially since moving to CA in Oct 2007, I've been doing a lot. As caching has increased, I've been running into a lot more coins. I got one from a cache that was a local club coin, after being encouraged to go out late one night to be a FTF to get the coin, and from there was enthralled. I decided to buy some after mom and sister gave me a bunch for Christmas. Since then I've just become hooked!

It looks like I actually own 12 coins, according to my profile that I just checked. But I admit I was activating my coins at first but in the last month or so I've gotten ones that aren't activated. So I guess I technically own more than 12. I'm not meeting many of the requirements for entering am I?

My biggest question was just recently posted on this forum I saw, and that was the dilemma of whether or not to activate coins you have or not. I read some really good ideas and thoughts about that and may have to implement some fo the ideas, like buying two of each and activating one and not activating the other. So now my new question is, how do you store or display your coins? I've been playing around with different ideas and tried coin photo album pages but they're way too flimsy, so I'm trying to figure out what might work, most preferrably in some sort of album format?

Hi Doctor A. You got dragged into it by your parents!! :anibad:

For me it was my brother who introduced me to it.

I think anyone who makes an effort to post here will go into the draw. Except pghlooking and avroair - they are far, way too seasoned! :o :o

My biggest question was just recently posted on this forum I saw, and that was the dilemma of whether or not to activate coins you have or not. I read some really good ideas and thoughts about that and may have to implement some fo the ideas, like buying two of each and activating one and not activating the other. So now my new question is, how do you store or display your coins? I've been playing around with different ideas and tried coin photo album pages but they're way too flimsy, so I'm trying to figure out what might work, most preferrably in some sort of album format?

It's a hard question, and another personal one. It really comes down to what you want to do with your coins. If you are sending them traveling, then of course you will activate them. If you want to take them to events for others to discover and log, then again you'll activate them. But, if you are going to keep them at home to look at, or take to events for people to look at, but not discover, then you are best not activating them. That way, if you loose interest tomorrow you can sell them all easily. I'll give you $20 for the lot! :o

As for storing them - until recently I had all mine sitting in a box... now they are in a couple of boxes! I've started putting some of them into a album I got from The Caching Place. But a lot of people use card albums.

See these two threads for a bit more info, opinions and advice :o

Advive on activating coins

Geocoin storage

I'm innocent, Lelle, innocent, I tell ya!

:anibad:

Naomi :o

Pff, no-one will believe you... :o

Lelle :o

Hi Lennart, I believe you... Naomi... innocent... I nearly fell outta my chair LMAO

I just know that I will get it from Naomi for that... bracing myself...

Hi I'm Randy. Just started geocaching a few weeks ago. I have found 4 caches so far, two others I didn't find. I don't know what a geocoin is but one of the caches I found had a travel bug in it. I think goecoins are like travel bugs right? Some people really get imaginative when they hide these things. One hint said if you can't find this one you shouldn't be geocaching. I haven't been able to find it yet. Anyway I would like to go to a group geocaching event sometime if there is one in the Atlanta, Ga. area to talk with other cachers and see what kind of gear they use etc. Sort of like a meet and greet? Do they have something like that? Good forum. Always check your coords. :anibad:

Hi Randy, Yes, geocoins are exactly like travelbugs. They have a unique tracking ID number on them which is used to track the coin from cache to cache. Good luck with finding that cache. Do you get the weekly emails from Groundspeak? If so, and you have entered your home coordinates into your profile, then you will be notified in the weekly emails of any events anywhere near you. Anyone from Atlanta around who can help out w.r.t. local events?

This morning, I was thinking about this contest for lurkers.

The original instructions mentioned that the winner should be some what new to forums (I think this rule was change) but it occurred to me that a true lurker would have been a member longer without many posts.

Here are my calculations:

Number of days a forum member: 2911

Number of posts: 14

Posts per day 0.0048

Here are Keewee's calculations:

Number of days a forum member: 62

Number of posts: 862

Posts per day 13.9

Anyway, lurking has given me a lot of time to think about it. Thanks again for the cointest. I didn't know there were contests. It's fun!

I failed Statistics :anibad:

Right, I think I am up to date on answering questions... it is nearly 1 am here and I have to get up in 6.5 hours for work (GROAN)... so off to bed for me. Night all.

:o

Hi Lennart, I believe you... Naomi... innocent... I nearly fell outta my chair LMAO

:anibad: Et tu, Craig? :o

I'm hurt... *sniff sniff* :o:o:o

:o

:anibad: Et tu, Craig? :o

I'm hurt... *sniff sniff* :o:o:o

LMAO... sorry Naomi - there was this wagon going past and I just had to jump on :o

Well I don't really qualify for the under 30 posts but I'm still new. ( 4 months) my caching name is terrier team, I have no geocoins, i like to go by my dog's name when I'm on the internet Vicky. I'm realitivty young. My "kids" are my dog and cat. I LOVE geocaching. I'm on here all day so that explains all my posts. My uncle introduced me to geocaching. I live in the Salem, Oregon area and do not like it in the winter. So I guess that sums me up. Oh yah I'm a person of many colors. Phew!!!!!

Edit: Grammer

Question: How adicting are geocoins really?

Question: How adicting are geocoins really?

Have you ever played a video game you just couldn't stop playing?

Have you ever been away from your computer and just couldn't wait to get back to it?

Have you ever smoked?

Have you ever seen Brad Paisley on TV? oh wait :unsure: never mind that was just for me :unsure::(

Anyways geocoins are just as adicting as these can be lol <_<

Hi,

My name is Paul, I live in central England. My username is derived from a long used motoring forum(s) handle, when I had my 89 Camaro, although I have an '01 Mustang now. (Not that I'm trying to sway any US mods in favour of a limey :( )

I've been caching since mid-October 2007, and I only bought a Garmin so I wouldn't get lost whilst walking in a new area whilst on holiday (tracks and road maps is what I bought it for), I had no idea about geocaching at that time. Second day in the holiday I clicked on the "Find-Geocache", and just wondered what it was. I logged onto the site, download about 20 local caches, and did half a dozen with my family that week to compliment an end to a nice walk with the dogs in the Welsh countryside.

Boy, have I a learnt a lot in 5 or so months.

1. Maps exist to show footpaths. (Painfull barbed wire, and wild horses)

2. Don't always follow the arrow. (see above)

3. Hints & spoliers exist..that took about a month.

4. Read the terrain and difficulty ratings before setting out...that took a little while less!

5. They have these things call Travel bugs...huh?

6. They also these nice shiney things called Geocoins.

I found my very first coin in early November 2007, and passed it on to someone to take to the US. Now I own 9, and am desparately not wanting to delve into the depths of Geocoin collecting madness <_< (If I won the lottery I'd buy them all, a lot are fantastic quality and would make a great show set).

I have released all but one of my coins, as I believe that's what they're for.

This hobby has taken me to 110 places I didn't know existed so far, most of which are less than 30 miles from home.

The problem is, I've just started generating pocket queries only with TB's/Coins in them, just to get my found/discovered numbers up. Is that a sign?

What are the 12 steps to geocoins anonymous?

I am fairly new to geocaching (signed up last July, but didn't find my first cache until Aug--procastinated!! and only found 20---don't like to go alone so have had to wait for weekends when my daughter comes home from school, BUT I am new to the forums....this is my first attempt. So...here goes...

1 & 2.... First attempt at writing something--hope I do it right :(

3...I own 4 geocoins---one is out in a cache---I can't really part with the other ones

4...a) my name is Lea, caching name is Leafer54....."Leafer"...it started with "Leaf" (a camp counselor name used when I counseled at GS camps as a teenager--came about using my first name and first initial of my maiden name), then my brother-in-law started calling me "Leafer". The "54" is the year I was born.

<_< I live in Woodstock, Georgia (a suburb about 25 miles north of Atlanta, GA). I work in the public schools as a teacher's aide in a Kindergarten class----and LOVE it!! My interests have always been in the outdoors and working with kids.

c) My question is this....what do you do when your coin doesn't move from cache to cache? My first coin given to me for Christmas by my daughter as a Christmas present was put in a cache in SC while visiting relatives during the holidays, and since then has only moved 4 miles and to only one other cache. Since I don't live in SC, I can't just go get it---and none of my other relatives are geocachers!!

You mentioned the entries close on March 30th-----it's my birthday----I'll be 54!! :unsure::unsure:

I am fairly new to geocaching (signed up last July, but didn't find my first cache until Aug--procastinated!! and only found 20---don't like to go alone so have had to wait for weekends when my daughter comes home from school, BUT I am new to the forums....this is my first attempt. So...here goes...

1 & 2.... First attempt at writing something--hope I do it right :(

3...I own 4 geocoins---one is out in a cache---I can't really part with the other ones

4...a) my name is Lea, caching name is Leafer54....."Leafer"...it started with "Leaf" (a camp counselor name used when I counseled at GS camps as a teenager--came about using my first name and first initial of my maiden name), then my brother-in-law started calling me "Leafer". The "54" is the year I was born.

<_< I live in Woodstock, Georgia (a suburb about 25 miles north of Atlanta, GA). I work in the public schools as a teacher's aide in a Kindergarten class----and LOVE it!! My interests have always been in the outdoors and working with kids.

c) My question is this....what do you do when your coin doesn't move from cache to cache? My first coin given to me for Christmas by my daughter as a Christmas present was put in a cache in SC while visiting relatives during the holidays, and since then has only moved 4 miles and to only one other cache. Since I don't live in SC, I can't just go get it---and none of my other relatives are geocachers!!

You mentioned the entries close on March 30th-----it's my birthday----I'll be 54!! :unsure::unsure:

Hey! My birthday is on 28th of March!!! :unsure: Ok, I will be 33, but iti s still closeto your birthday!! :blink:

1. I do not know if I qualify for this. I have been a member of the site for over a year, but have never really posted before. Maybe once or twice, but I don't remember. I have not been an active poster of these forums.

2. Once again, I do not post in these forums, however in the past month or so, I HAVE been 'lurking'. A fellow geocaching friend is quite active, so I decided to check out the forums more and this is the first thread I have really thought about and responded to.

3. I believe I own 4 coins.

4. a. My caching name is Gipsie. Funny story because throughout my life I have really been called Gipsie. My mom started calling me that when I was a kid, when I got older, I met a friend who was named the same and changed my spelling because he was older. I started geocaching after I went online looking for a GPS navigation unit and 'geocaching' popped up.

b. I am a union rep who works in Atlantic City, NJ. I love my job even though it annoys me most times. I cannot think of anything I would rather do.

c. I own a few coins and have registered them so that people can 'discover' them. I guess my question is....There is no obligation on my part to 'release' these coins? I can hold onto them without actually putting them in caches?

5. I don't know about you, but I can testify that I am always right! I argue for a living and refuse to do it when I am not working, so I will let you think you are right, but in my heart.....I know the truth!

6. Don't know if I qualify, but I really only want ONE entry!!!!

7. April Fools Day - my favorite day of the year!!!!

So...you finally got me to stop lurking!!!!

Edited by gipsie

Hi,

My name is Marilyn, geocacher marpomem - put together from a silly nickname my husband came up with (marpo) and the name my grandchildren call me (mem). I've been signed up as a geocaching member for 8 mos, but have not been active enough to really feel like a true geocacher.

I love the forums. Am still hesitant to write and overthink before I do, but truly enjoy reading them. There seem to be 1 or 2 rather tactless ones out there, but most posters in the forums are wonderful, generous, and kind. Lots seem to know each other, and that is nice.

Originally from New Orleans, LA, I have lived in MS for over half of my life now - with my husband and 4 boxers. We have two grown children, one of whom is geocacher darnjoeSNARG who has blessed us with a lovely daughter-in-law and two fantastic grandchildren, DeaDEyeD and FrooTLooP15. djS introduced me to geocaching, and I am now addicted to it and all it entails.

At first, I had 1 find. Then, I became severely addicted to those fabulous geocoins!!! I think I have over 25 and will double that when I get my geoguitars and nerds soon. We (djS and crew and myself) did find a few in FL last summer. He logged them, but I never did because I didn't know or yet quite understand what I was doing and why!!! I spent a few days last week in SC visiting djS and crew, and we geocached every day I was there!!! I thought they were trying to kill me, but it has enlivened me! I am back to exercising. It is great not being a muggle!!! Plus, djS showed me how to use my GPS, which I have had for 3 mos. and couldn't figure it out. Truth is, I was afraid of the thing.

Anyway, I finally feel like a geocacher because in less than 5 days, I went from having found 1 cache that I can truly count to having 37 finds! Super cool, and I enjoy every minute of it. Thank you, all geocachers out there, for making me feel welcome and at home!!!

Hello Keewee!

Thank you for answering my questions!!! <_<

Can I make an other one?

This has to do mostly with geocoins, but with some TB's too!

while I was searching in the net, I found that in some sites, Geocachers have their coin photos to show their collection! In many GC, the number is clear and readable! If these coins are activated.....finding their photos in the net, can be logs as discover the GC????

The same thing is with a very small number of TB!!

I am confused in that! Discover is to find it, hold it in your hand and put it back, or you can do that with photos too?

Hello,

I don't think we qualify for the cointest, but thought this is a good opportunity to introduce ourselves since we have been posting/"lurking" at this forum recently. And also to thank everyone for your advice, encouragement, and patience as we learn about having a coin made and trading coins.

"a. introduce yourself - first name if you like, your caching name, and maybe how you came about it"

Caching name e.caballus, because we all love horses and don't have one

"b. tell us something about yourself, where you are from, what you do, what interests you"

Tom & Hilda both work in the computer industry in California, which causes us to sit for many hours. Geocaching has been a great way for us to get outdoors for some exercise <_< We also bike and kayak a bit (both just for recreation), and Tom loves volleyball. Got into geocaching after Tom decided to get a GPSr after getting lost in the Napa area on the way to a wedding and Hilda tends to get lost hiking. REI had a link to "www.geocaching.com" and Hilda got hooked. Started geocaching summer 2007. Met SouthBayDay at one of our caches - he gave us a couple of geocoins, which started our interest in geocoins. The first coin we bought was "Run for the Roses" and now own about 30. Love reading more info behind what a geocoin represents, e.g. have learned a bit about the history of Quebec, Norwegian cathedrals, US Hwy 66, casltes on the Rhein, migration paths of Monarch butterflies, history of the Liberty Bell, etc.

c. ask a question - preferably about geocoins - use this as a learning ground to find out something you want to know. Remember - no question is too dumb!

Do the mints in China use the same process for making dies as is described in Wikipedia?

Thanks again for a great community!

Hilda (this post)

Hello Keewee!

Thank you for answering my questions!!! <_<

Can I make an other one?

This has to do mostly with geocoins, but with some TB's too!

while I was searching in the net, I found that in some sites, Geocachers have their coin photos to show their collection! In many GC, the number is clear and readable! If these coins are activated.....finding their photos in the net, can be logs as discover the GC????

The same thing is with a very small number of TB!!

I am confused in that! Discover is to find it, hold it in your hand and put it back, or you can do that with photos too?

Logging finds for coins or TBs that you have not actually held in person (only seen in a picture) is called virtual logging, and is very bad. It is nerver a good idea to post a picture of a TB or coin with the tracking number showing. If Groundspeak finds any coin or TB that has virtual logs on it from people seeing the tracking number in a photo, that TB or coin can be locked, meaning that the tracking number will be deactivated and it will no longer be able to be logged.

c. I own a few coins and have registered them so that people can 'discover' them. I guess my question is....There is no obligation on my part to 'release' these coins? I can hold onto them without actually putting them in caches?

As long as they are your own coins, and not coins you found in a cache owned by someone else, you are free to do whatever you want with them. It is up to you if you decide to set them free and watch them travel in caches, or you can keep them in a collection and other people who see your collection can discover them. <_<

Thank you tadpole379!!!

I was qurious about it! I do not remember now the sites, because I found them while I was searching for Mintages for some geocoins! As I said, I do not know if they were activated or not! Probably not, but I had to ask what is going on!!

It is nice to log only the ones you see in reality, and not in photos!!!

The best thing is to find a coin or TB in a cache, and not in a site! :o

Hi, keewee and fellow "lurkers"!

My name is Erin, but go by "Penny and Kona" in the forums and on geocaching.com after my two dogs. I am a 4th-year PhD Candidate (I study birds and should finish up by June 2009!) and got into geocaching because I really love using my GPS and GIS in my research. Having another reason to take the GPS out is absolutely fantastic!

I think this is my second post, but I have been around for a while. I have used the forums quite a bit to find out information about geocoins and travel bugs, how to log them and appropriate guidelines for helping them on their missions/travels. The scientist in me believes in extensive research before making a statement, which probably explains why this is only my second post.

I got into geocoins as a gift idea for my husband. I am releasing a coin every month this year as a Christmas gift for him. So at the moment I own five coins in my profile (~4 more on the way), and one travel bug for me! I don't think I will stop at 12 geocoins though, as they are so pretty and I like the idea of someday having a collection that I am encouraged to display. (My husband prefers that I do NOT display my insect collection openly in the house, but perhaps he wouldn't mind coins...)

Here is my question about geocoins: Where exactly are they made?

Someone mentioned in the forums that all geocoins come from China, although they did not specify if they were talking about the materials or the actual machines that make them or what. Just a curiosity.

Thanks, keewee, for the opportunity to post to the forums without much dread of saying/asking something wrong!

Miguel (bassmig) - good to hear from you. How do you get on with practising Bass with a little on in the house?

It's easy, I play for him (at low volume obviously) or acoustic. He seems to find it interesting, or maybe confusing to watch me play! lol

When I need to play loud I find friends and a jam room!!

Okay...you got me. I've not posted here yet and done some limited reading of the boards. My name is Chris and my caching name is camplejo which is what I signed up with on geocaching.com before I knew enough to pick a more fun name. In any case, been caching since Sept 2007. Do not have any coins of my own. Have moved several from cache to cache. Not really clear on how people acquire coins unless they are just buying them. Thanks for this post as an opportunity for a noob in coins to show up.

So my question is, what is the difference between acquiring/collecting coins and finding them in caches and moving them along to another cache?

:D

Hi! My name is Lynn. I live near Buffalo, NY in the US. My geoname is frogmama. This name stems from the fact that I am a "frogwatcher" for Frogwatch USA. This group monitors the frog populations in various locations as an indicator of environmental conditions.

I have been a geocacher since July 2007. I have been on the forum a few times before but haven't posted anything. ( Maybe once)

I have one coin called "The Traveling Penguin" that I received as a Christmas gift. I hope to release it in Myrtle

Beach when I go on vacation next month.

I would like to purchase /get a few more coins but I'm not sure the best way to approach it. Maybe I will win one here!

Who knows if I qualify. i signed up a long time ago, but that was when my friend first introduced me to geocaching. Found a few caches with them since they had the GPS. Didn't get my own GPS until about 4 months ago and "came back" to the sport in a more official capacity. Never bother much with the forums, though. I learned long ago that participating in forums generally makes me start to hate the thing that the forum focuses on . . . oh well, I occasionally lurk, I suppose.

a. introduce yourself

Anywho. I'm earthcurrent. yayz? i dunknow. I like moving geocoins, but don't own any.

b. tell us something about yourself, where you are from, what you do, what interests you

I'm from WY, but currently live on the western slope of Colorado. Was introduced to geocaching while visiting a friend in WI.

For me geocoins are more fun to find and move on than own. What exactly do geocoin collector types find interesting in keeping coins locked up in a collection? Is there a philosophy to it?

Hello all. My name is Jerry and I am a total NOOB to this game. My wife and I go by JNLJeep because we both drive jeeps and her name is Laura. We have been married for 25+ years and first used the JNL name back in high school.

I sale and design engineered wood products for a living and my wife is an LPN. Although we haven't found any caches it isn't for the sake of not trying. We have been trying without a GPS unit but I finally got one for my B-Day from Laura and it should show up in the mail anytime now. :D

I have been a member of the forums for a short while now and have read everything I can to learn about geocaching.

I do not own any coins at this time. In fact I really am not sure what they are. :D But after reading through this thread I have a good idea now. Sounds like I need a few.

Well I look forward to running into everyone out looking for caches and BSn with you all on the forums.

Jerry

What happened to the other thread :D

It was "hidden" until I receive permission from the site. I have already submitted an email requesting permission to continue it.

Apparently my post was deemed a "survey" which is not allowed under the rules here.

In my mind, I was just trying to get to know people better. The term "survey" implies I'm gathering information to form an analysis or assessment of some type. That couldn't be further from the truth folks. I honestly was just trying to do something fun and get to know you all a bit better.

I'm sorry if I upset anyone. It wasn't my intention. :D

What happened to the other thread :D

It was "hidden" until I receive permission from the site. I have already submitted an email requesting permission to continue it.

Apparently my post was deemed a "survey" which is not allowed under the rules here.

In my mind, I was just trying to get to know people better. The term "survey" implies I'm gathering information to form an analysis or assessment of some type. That couldn't be further from the truth folks. I honestly was just trying to do something fun and get to know you all a bit better.

I'm sorry if I upset anyone. It wasn't my intention. :D

Oh for the love of pete!!!!!!! ( no pun intented) :D

:D It was fun...and anyone who didn't want to post didn't have to post... :D

Starting to sound like my work place lol take all our fun away :D

Any who

Back to our regular scheduled program :D

Edited by The-Wolf-Pack

ok well I was gone for a while so I missed the cointest probably and I don't qualify as I have LOTS of coins, but I started geocaching in August 2007 and found my first geocoin in my very first FTF. It was a Crake Symbology coin. That got me curious so I tried to find other coins and finally bought my first Canada coin. I dropped that coin in a cache and have never heard from it again. The second coin I purcased was the set of geckos from Landsharkz and I thought they were so pretty so I started searching out other sites that sell coins. The second coin (a gecko) that I left in a cache got taken as well. SO, now I am pretty protective over my coins. The ones I have activated are in my binder and are to be discovered at events only. I am also extra careful about releasing coins for others. Two weeks after my first coin, I started searching out coins that reflect my personality...like 3doxies as I have two dachshunds of my own. When I contacted 3doxies about purchasing her coin, she sent me one for free out of the goodness of her heart and I experienced my first sense of 'coin kindness' and decided to start posting in the forums. Since then (i think i started in Oct or Nov) I have read about many acts of this kindness and bonded with many other like minded people.

Like all the others' say, I am hooked but recently got told by my husband that I'd better slow down, so trades only for a while now!

I live in Calgary, AB with my husband (El Cacholoco), my 3 kids (Cinnabear, and the other nameless ones both boys), two dachshunds. I like to garden, hike, downhill ski, cook (most days), watch soccer (football) and hockey, fish (not ice fishing!), and have recently discovered the joys of traveling.

I decided my geocaching name a while ago...while i was gardening of course! Not really enjoying the challenges of leg shaving factored in on the gorilla part :D

That's it in a really big nutshell, in the 5 months I've been collecting I have amassed over 175 coins, both trackable and non-trackable and also some pathtags and wooden nickels. BUT the best reward overall are the friends that I've made. Oh and the Highland Geocoin Fairy coin! It makes me smile and leaves me more lighthearted when I am down.

Hi ! I signed up last May so I could learn about geocaching but did not get a GPS until recently in February 08. You can tell from my caches I just started! I only have a few coins and would love a few more. It is suppose to snow here again so I am really bummed as I have 4 days off for the holiday!!! Bring on the sun and warm weather!!! :laughing:

I just recently restarted Geocaching. My join date is deceptive; I did geocache back in 2004, but only a little bit.

And that was before Geocoins existed!

I recently got back into the game a month ago, and discovered these lovely things called Geocoins. Man are they sweet!! I had only known of Travel Bugs from my time geocaching, so seeing these was pretty neat. I went out to a cache specifically to find a geocoin, and got one. Now I'm hooked! They're so cool because they're personal and there's so many different ones out there. I've been back to caching for about a month and a half now, and I bought a couple coins online, so my collection is just starting out. It's amazing to see the evolution this whole game of Geocaching has done over the years. I currently have 4 activated geocoins (which I got in the last 2 weeks, lol) and a couple more for my collection. Looking around this forum, its astonishing to see how many coins people have, and how much they cost... i can't imagine the cost of making your own geocoin. I've gotten into Pathtagging, but I think Geocoining may have to wait a while. :unsure:

Anyway, that's my story!

Well these were my details before I wrote this post

Posts 0

Registered on Dec 6 2007, 01:38 PM

Average posts per day You've yet to post

So I may meet some of the criteria

My name is James and I have been called Krash for quite some time it seems I have a unique ability to crash a motorcycle and walk away from it mostly for two reason's after buying my first bike I started "stunting" it which simply means to do stuff with it that is very unsafe and usually at very high speeds and very dumb this will often lead to crashing and living in Alaska I have ridden all 12 months of the year this will also lead to crashing so with numerous spills three totalled bikes and with my home state I have my caching name of KrashAlaska.

I live in Wasilla Alaska am 28 years old and just started caching last fall with just over 100 finds winter caching up here can be a little challenging as alot of cachers do not mention if the cache is winter friendly or not. I have spent the past three months passing up even looking at geocoins in caches both activated unactivated and untrackables.

WHY? well because I was ignorant

So currently I do not own any coins, although I do have and excellant collection of 7 broken motorcycle helmets, I have been doing some shopping have not purchased yet I think I will be buying untrackables to keep if its able to be tracked I think I would have to let it go and with a shortage of coins in the AK it will be better for the sport.

I work four days a week as a structural airframe fabricator this is a fancy term for the fact that I make stuff out of metal someone brings me some thing broken or that they cannot get and I make them a new one from raw materiel. This gives me a four day work week so I have had plenty of time to go caching. On a down note it also has allowed me to travel I did not learn about geocaching until after I returned from a trip that took me to... Greenland,Iceland,England,Romania,Afghanistan,and the former Soviet Georgia. Just think about all the caches that I missed.

Here is my question how detailed have people been in the design of a coin they had minted? Did you use artwork, just a description, email it to them, draw it and mail it ? you get the idea and how was the service? recomendation warnings what would you do different.

I know about geocachalaska.org but where are all the other Alaska people on here????????

:) WooHoo!!!! I love contests :laughing:

1). Hmmm....six months just expired for me, but maybe I qualify as I first registered back in August and only made a few postings (crossing fingers, hoping I qualify :) ). Otherwise I haven't been following forums and just revisited them tonight while on vacation.

2). WooHoo...I only have six posts!

3). I own two geocoins which I recieved at Christmas. They are the Smokey Bear geocoins and one is bronze and the other is copper. I released them only recently and am enjoying them travel....though it appears they don't move very quickly. I didn't realize people collected these. It's more fun to move them along and see them travel.

4abc) My name is Joel and my screen name is Smokey Bear Collector. I collect Smokey Bear memorabilia, am a member of Hot Foot Teddy Collector's Association and go to its conventions as often as I can. I've made a lot of friends and chat with them all the time. I'll be attending my first geocache event in May...GeoWoodstock in California with my sister, Fearless0, who is coming in from Utah. She is my partner in crime for caching. We have tons of fun and get into all kinds of trouble. I am from the San Francisco Bay Area and have cached all over the place since learning about this game this past year. I am a real estate agent and a substitute teacher.

I'd like to know what geocoin sites are really good. I've looked at a few, but they only seem to have one or two coins available.

6) I thought you were right :)

thanks for this fun contest..i've been reading the posts and the people seem interested.

~Smokey Bear Collector

Greetings from Utah--

My name is Karen although I'm known in the geocaching world as Fearless0. Its more of a reminder of what I need to become more than what I am. Its just a name i've had since my early 20's.

I used to be an internet chatter YEARS ago but when I discovered I spent too much time on the internet, I quit. I'm here tonight because my brother (Smokey Bear Collector) told me to come check this out. So here I am. Smokey and I started caching back in September (?) and try to get together a couple times and do some caching. Its hard as I live in Utah, and he lives in California. But we try. We always have a great time together.

As far as geocoins go, I've discovered I LOVE GEOCOINS! They are such beautiful pieces of art. I've found when I find one I sure have a hard time passing it along (though of course I do). But I'm in agreement with the others--I don't see the point in keeping one permanetly.

My question is: How do you go about making one yourself? It costs so much money!

Hello Keewee

I am a lurker :D a shy one at that, I would like to refer to myself as a information sponge. First post and do not own any coins yet

a. My name is Peppie (pre ADD diagnosis as i like to think) My caching name is TynkerBelle and i cache with my boyfriend MAC. I am a photographer and artist and he is a Computer Tech and photographer, hence is why i tried to be creative with the names.

b. We are really noob's I drag MAC along as much as possible he mans the gps, i wonder aimlessly until he says its around here..lol we are from SW Florida so weather permits year round caching YEA

c. The TB's are what intrigued me at first because of my creative side, but then i have been reading bout geocoins, my question would be is the addiction on buying them? i assume you do not keep the ones you find in the caches right? so to collect do you buy and trade?

Greetings from Utah--

My name is Karen although I'm known in the geocaching world as Fearless0. Its more of a reminder of what I need to become more than what I am. Its just a name i've had since my early 20's.

I used to be an internet chatter YEARS ago but when I discovered I spent too much time on the internet, I quit. I'm here tonight because my brother (Smokey Bear Collector) told me to come check this out. So here I am. Smokey and I started caching back in September (?) and try to get together a couple times and do some caching. Its hard as I live in Utah, and he lives in California. But we try. We always have a great time together.

As far as geocoins go, I've discovered I LOVE GEOCOINS! They are such beautiful pieces of art. I've found when I find one I sure have a hard time passing it along (though of course I do). But I'm in agreement with the others--I don't see the point in keeping one permanetly.

My question is: How do you go about making one yourself? It costs so much money!

Hi fearless0,

We live in West Valley City. Hope to see you soon at an event! Look at the Utah page, the UTAG Spring event is up now. It's in May in Utah county.

Lynda

GBOTS