HTC Touch

ok so i am about to get a new phone and was wondering if the HTC Touch with bell canada first would it work with an external gps antena and how well and if it will work any sugestions for software to get would be great

thx

Sure it will worked with ext BT GPSs. If you are going to use Garmin Navigating System. Go for Garmin 10x(Mobile 10). Then You can have the full North American routable map.

To be a premium member. Then downloaded the PQ from geocaching.com. Copy it into a folder in your HTC touch and imported into cachemate with spoilersyn for paperless geocaching and hunting for the cache.

Edited by thsalbert

I own an HTC Touch, and I'm also with Bell Canada.

I Installed Garmin Mobile, and it's basically a NUVI device built into the phone, I've not hooked a gps to it, but the display and functionality is almost EXACTLY the same as having a NUVI in the palm of your hand. I Installed some local TOPO and the map display was awesome. If I was going to use ONLY my phone for Geocaching, I'd look at this route. You can combine cachemate and go completely paperless, or upload HTML exported code from GSAK and upload to a website, and use the mobile browser (That's what I do, as I have unlimited Internet)

there are LOTS of possibilities, and that's a great phone to use them.

Good Luck.

or upload HTML exported code from GSAK and upload to a website, and use the mobile browser (That's what I do, as I have unlimited Internet)

Another awesome feature of this phone is that it can be used as a modem. So if you didn't want to use the small browser on the phone, you could use your laptop. Just plug the phone into your laptop via USB, start the program on the phone to use it as a modem and viola, high speed internet access anywhere you get a cell signal! Of course you need the browser feature (best if it's unlimited).

or upload HTML exported code from GSAK and upload to a website, and use the mobile browser (That's what I do, as I have unlimited Internet)

Another awesome feature of this phone is that it can be used as a modem. So if you didn't want to use the small browser on the phone, you could use your laptop. Just plug the phone into your laptop via USB, start the program on the phone to use it as a modem and viola, high speed internet access anywhere you get a cell signal! Of course you need the browser feature (best if it's unlimited).

Actually it is not advisable to use this phone as a modem under Bell Cdn Unlimited browser. If you use it this way you fall under the data rates rather than the $7 unlimited rate.

See there web site for further details.

Bottom line, unlimited means anything you can do on the phone... not as a modem.

That being said, I have the Touch and love it, have not done the BT GPS yet as there is a rumor that Bell will enable AGPS in the near future. Too much other stuff on the go right now to do that anyways.

I have loaded cachemate to it and it works fine but I'm still used to my PALM so haven't switched, Cachemate is slightly different between the 2.... at this point prefer to stick with what I'm used to.

What I have used it for several times is checking live updates of caches to see when it was found last and if FTF was still up for grabs... Palm detail was actually a few days old where I thought it was hours old.

Also I have researched trivia answers to get to the next stage/cache.

Still a toy but I love it.

Actually it is not advisable to use this phone as a modem under Bell Cdn Unlimited browser. If you use it this way you fall under the data rates rather than the $7 unlimited rate.

For the first time ever, someone in the IT field told me something I didn't know... And it was true! :D

When my wife and I got the Touch we asked the sales guy at Bell World if it was completely unlimited and he said that it was... He then went on about this "tethering" feature which I thought sounded great as sometimes I'm in the middle of no where and it would be nice to have normal internet access. The sales guy said that it fell under the unlimited plan too, hey, sweet! Then your post of reality came and ended the fantasy.

I just got off the blower with Bell Tech Support and after being put on hold several times while they "checked for information" they said that yes, tethering does cost extra and that you'd be charge their normal data rate. Seeing how I've used tethering a couple of times now I'm sure I'll get extra charges on my next bill, which I will be fighting as I was mid-lead by the sales guy.

We'll see what happens...

Thanks for the heads up!

For the first time ever, someone in the IT field told me something I didn't know... And it was true! :D

When my wife and I got the Touch we asked the sales guy at Bell World if it was completely unlimited and he said that it was... He then went on about this "tethering" feature which I thought sounded great as sometimes I'm in the middle of no where and it would be nice to have normal internet access. The sales guy said that it fell under the unlimited plan too, hey, sweet! Then your post of reality came and ended the fantasy.

I just got off the blower with Bell Tech Support and after being put on hold several times while they "checked for information" they said that yes, tethering does cost extra and that you'd be charge their normal data rate. Seeing how I've used tethering a couple of times now I'm sure I'll get extra charges on my next bill, which I will be fighting as I was mid-lead by the sales guy.

We'll see what happens...

Thanks for the heads up!

glad I could be of assistance... even if I am a IT guy

If you want to read more on the Touch go to howard forums under bell or HTC. All sorts of cool apps and tweeks to be had.

bell is at http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46

HTC is at http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=157