To Activate or Not to Activate

n8turgrl

When I first started geocaching I received a few coins as door prizes at events or as gifts from a couple of the local generous geocachers. I was always excited to rush home and "activate" the coin before adding it to my collection. Lately I have been trading more and more and buying more and more and now i'm stuck between activating the ones I receive or not activating them. For those of you that have been at this for awhile what do you do? Is there a reason you activate or don't activate? Are there special ones that you activate or special ones that you won't activate for any reason? Thanks for any input ;)

When I buy coins I buy two of each. One I activate to take to events to be discovered, the other I keep for traders. My list of activated coins is about 150 coins, my traders about 20. I trade my trades for coins I want to add to my activated collection. I have seen people sell their activated coins and just adopt them to their new owners. Plus, if activated and lost/stolen they might be found and returned. Ask Rockin Roddy about that.

I (personally) only activate the coins I plan on releasing or those that I plan to have discovered at events. I don't care about icons, so no reason for me to activate them.

If I ever wanted to trade/unload coins, it seems to me that the unactivated would be easiest with the exception of some of the harder/older to get coins, to sell or trade off.

tsun

I activate most of mine. I have some that I am saving for my grandson, some that I like to keep and then I have some, well a lot, that I let kids choose what they like. I started buying TB tags and giving them away to kids and let them choose what they wanted on it. Then we would send it out. The kids don't have accounts so they use mine. They watch them travel and you know they have learned a lot from doing it. I started collecting coins and the kids liked looking at them and playing with them so I started buying to let them have them. They are activated under my account but when the child gets old enough for their own account they adopt it. Love the adoption feature. But the coins, they are like the adults and don't want to part with them yet. But they learn about taking care of things and have so much fun with them. They have all ready learned about trading.

I save a few so I can do missions or give them away that I don't activate.

I don't have any intentions of selling any of my coins so I activate them. My intentions have always been to do with them like I did with TB tags and give them to kids. If they have as much success when they send them out as they have with all the TB's then that is what it is all about. Last Christmas a preschool teacher went out of her way to go get one of their TB's, the gingerbread boy so he could go to the preschool. They was having a party making gingerbread house and she wanted this TB to go to the party. She sent pictures so the kids here could see it. We have had a bus TB that rode on a school bus for a long time and the driver taught the kids about caching. So the coins are for making memories and even when they are just in the kids pockets they are making memories.

Is there any I wouldn't activate? No. Even if the ones I haven't activated if a kid wants it then it gets activated and given away.

What can I say, kids have always been my sunshine and my weakness.

I'll probably activate most of mine as I get them. I plan to have a small stockpile of unactivated ones to go out on missions, but most of mine will likely get released into the wild or travel with me to be discovered. Most of my traders will likely be ones that I have had made (I don't even have the quote back for my first coin and I've already come up with the design for my second!! Can you say addicted?)

Well I've only been at this a relatively short time but I try to buy at least 3 coins when a new one comes out - 1 to release, 1 to trade/sell, and 1 for my library. Occasionally I'll buy a coin on ebay that I think is a good deal then when I have it in my hand I decide whether or not it is a keeper or a releaser.

But I don't activate the ones I don't plan to release.

Do what feels right to you. I'm sure everyone does it their own unique way. :D

I like to keep my list of icons for coins I've activated equal to the list of coin icons I've moved or discovered. What can I say as a Libran I like balance. So, I'm an icon ho but I'm also keeping an eye to the future if'n I want or need to sell them off.

Activated ones that have only been discovered but never saw the inside of a cache container may sell for what they originally cost from the manufacturer and the unactivated ones may attain Ebay values.... or so I keep telling myself.

I activate the ones I plan to keep and the ones I plan to turn loose into a cache. The ones I am keeping for trading, I do not activate.

Some coins I buy 1, some I buy 2, and some I buy 4 or 5 or more if I like the design and want to release more than one.

I hope Groundspeak eventually creates a "My Collection" place for coins/TBs (instead of marking them Unknown or putting them into unactivated or archived caches).

Until now I have activated all my coins. But now I will start to keep some unactivated just for trades.

Those I´m keeping in my collection to show to others I will keep activating.

A question to you other traders, how do you think about trading for activated, sometimes even discovered coins? Do you still want to trade for them even if there is a few discoveredlogs for it?

grodan

I activate everything I am keeping and I will buy extras for trades that I keep unactivated. As far as getting rid of activated coins it seems simple as well. I have adopted several coins that were for sale here in the forums. It didn't take as long as activating a new one. So there's my two cents worth!

A question to you other traders, how do you think about trading for activated, sometimes even discovered coins? Do you still want to trade for them even if there is a few discoveredlogs for it?

grodan

If it had log files you can delete them on the coin's page. I wouldn't though, but thats just me I like history! And no that wouldn't bother me at all. I would however make a note when ownership changed though.

Edited by seaeye