GPS 60CSx

My question; Can I get the hint any other data to download into my GPS60CSx or am I limited to just the co-ords. I'm using GSAK and have no problem getting the caches to download, but no hint. I have a friend with a Magellan Explorist and he get s the hint on his , no problem. Thanks for any help.

Using GSAK you can export your caches as a gpx file and put %Hint in the Cache description box which will give you 30 characters worth of a hint. Or as Stickman said use Garmin's POI Loader that will give you a total of 132 characters- 44 in the cache name, 88 more for the hint.

Welcome to the Forums! ;)

If you use GSAK to send the waypoints to your GPSr, you can get part of the name of the cache, and even part of the hint using the codes in the "Smart Name" feature. This is the code I use for the Waypoint name on my Vista HCx:

%smart=9 %con1%typ1%dif1%ter1

The information included is part of the Name, the Size of the container, the Type of cache (Traditional, Multi, Virtual, Puzzle), the Difficulty and Terrain (based on a 10-point scale). To get part of the hint, I use this code in the Waypoint Description blank of the "Send To GPS" dialogue box:

%Name=8 %hint

You can mix and match the "smart name" codes any way you want to get the information that is useful for you. ;)

For the POIs, I Export a .gpx file to use with Garmin's free POI Loader. I use slightly different codes for that Export to get the Cache Owner, more of the hint, and if there is enough room, the GC code, since some of the people I cache with use that for reference.

The two fellers above mentioned customized POIs which I encourage you to look into, but that does not answer your question - about putting hints in your waypoints.

Do you use GSAK to "Send Waypoints to GPS", or create a MapSource file?

If "Send Waypoints to GPS", put "%hint" in the field named "Waypoint description format (comments)".

If creating a MapSource file to download, put "%hint" in the field named "Cache description format".

Keep in mind this will truncate the first 30 characters of the hint. Figure out customized POIs and you can put more info.

My question; Can I get the hint any other data to download into my GPS60CSx or am I limited to just the co-ords. I'm using GSAK and have no problem getting the caches to download, but no hint. I have a friend with a Magellan Explorist and he get s the hint on his , no problem. Thanks for any help.

I use a customized version of the gsak macro found here - http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=3172

Gives me name, desc,hint, last four finds (not logs)... works very well. I strongly reccommend it.

Edited by bandc9