Mini/nano question

softball29

I'm just curious, I guess.

In all the reading I'm doing on here, it seems like a lot of people really dislike minis and nanos. I'm just curious why? I haven't found many minis (a couple), but I thought the one nano I found was pretty sweet. I do like the ammo cans and the regular caches, but as someone who basically likes to hunt for them, sign the log and move on (and maybe swap TBs), minis don't really bother me.

Honestly, I was thinking about buying a few waterproof mini/nano cases as my first caches. Just to kind of get a feel of it and work my way up to the bigger caches and such. I know these are basically quick finds and all, but it seems like they could be fun if put in the right spot. Or, maybe I should avoid at all costs? :)

I don't care for the so called nano caches (just too small for me) but I have nothing againist micros as a size except that I actually LIKE the trade aspect of Geocaching. The problem that many cachers have with micros is the places they end up being hidden.

Due to the cheap/free nature of many micro containers, many of them end up being placed in areas that are just not much fun to go caching at. Probably also the reason for seeing so many of them. Also they are sometimes used in areas that could easily support a larger container.

While there are lame caches of every size - the odds of a micro being a lame cache are much higher. Nothing can create angst faster in the forums than a discussion of micros.

Nanos and micros are fine if the location doesn't support anything larger. The key though, in my mind, is that the location should be some place you would want folks to visit. I have several historical monuments (plaques) in my area that do not support normal size caches but I want folks to visit them.

Micros (if you mean Altoids tins - standard size) will support placing GeoCoins but nothing else so they are good for that purpose. But hiding them in Lampost Covers only serves to be a "mailbox" for these coins. Or, they are good for the "numbers" if that's a driver.

I'm not so sure there are really that many people who dislike micros--so much as there are a very vocal group that dislike them. If you keep reading the forums, you'll likely notice a small core of folks who despise micros and post derogative comments about them everywhere they can possibly work it in. You'll also notice the occaisional new thread saying something negtive about micros. In those threads, many of the folks responding have already made those same comments in other similar threads and are really just restating their position--and many of them aren't actually negative about a particular size so much as disappointed when they can't find any redeeming qualities about a cache.

Meanwhile, other people are out finding and hiding the kinds of caches that are being disparaged so vehemently in the forums and enjoying them, for a variety of reasons.

Personally, I like micros; about 2/3 of the caches I've found have been micros. I like small caches as well. I also like larger caches. I've been very disappointed by as many larger caches as micros. My friends feel much the same way....

Once you get past the idea that "a certain size cache" is going to give you "a certain kind of experience" it's really pretty easy to find the kinds of caches you will like. It's mostly a matter of knowing that that is exactly. I do think that every cache should have some saving grace--and it if has several, that is all the better.

I like caches that are cleverly hidden. I like them in historic or unique places. I like them to have a nice cache page (it helps build my anticipation). I like them to be well maintained. I like them to be reasonably close to other caches that also sound pleasant (it makes my trip planning easier). Other than that, I don't care if they are large or small, round or square, in a woods or near a parking lot--I just would really like to find them after a reasonable amount of time (while I am still having fun!) but if not, I hope they'll at least offer me the opportunity to write a good DNF log.

All of that means I have to read a few cache pages. I've noticed that the people who seem to despise any one kind of cache the most also tend to want some way to click a button and have some software automatically pull up only caches they will like (perferably for free). No matter what you do, you can't please all the people all the time.

I honestly feel that if you make a cache that is special to you, for some reason, most other people will also find something about it they like if they give it a whirl. It really may be as simple as all that. So my advice is to hide the kinds of caches you would like to find in that spot and watch folks come. If larger caches are what you really want to hide, then don't hide smaller ones. If you like a little bit of everything, then hide them. If you really love challenging micros, make that your specialty.

My personal dislike of micros stems from the fact that usually a micro can be hidden anywhere and usually are placed with little or no effort and the location holds little or no significance. Such as a Walmart parking lot. I'm a cacher who likes a good well thought out hide. I don't go for caches that seem to have been placed just for the sake of placing a cache.

My personal dislike of micros stems from the fact that usually a micro can be hidden anywhere and usually are placed with little or no effort and the location holds little or no significance. Such as a Walmart parking lot. I'm a cacher who likes a good well thought out hide. I don't go for caches that seem to have been placed just for the sake of placing a cache.

What then, constitutes a well thought out hide? I ask this as a newbie, not as someone trying to make a contradictory point. Is the well thought out hide a historically significant place? Is it some place that's difficult to get to? Someplace that has a fantastic view? A place that lends itself nicely to be the part of a puzzle solution?

I want to make a few finds before I lay my first cache, but there are a few places that wouldn't really meet any of the above criteria that I'd love to place a hide in. That may change, of course, once I get more experience under my belt, which is why I haven't placed one yet. Hence the question. ;)

Edited by Ry and Ny

I can't think of any geocachers who dislike all micros, though I'm sure there a a few. What most geocachers I know don't like are caches placed with little thought in mundane or unappealing areas. Because the overwhelming majority of these caches tend to be micros, you hear numerous complaints about micros.

Usually when you dig a little deeper, it's not the size of the cache, but the location that people are complaining about.

I do know a lot of people who dislike micros in the woods or other places that can conceal a larger container. That smacks of simple laziness to some.

Put your micro some place interesting in a place that really calls for a micro and you will not get many complaints.

What then, constitutes a well thought out hide? I ask this as a newbie, not as someone trying to make a contradictory point. Is the well thought out hide a historically significant place? Is it some place that's difficult to get to? Someplace that has a fantastic view? A place that lends itself nicely to be the part of a puzzle solution?

It could be any of that. If you place your cache in a spot that people would enjoy visiting even if the cache wasn't there, then you have a good hide.

Ask yourself why you are bringing people to this place. If the only answer is the cache, then find another spot.

In all the reading I'm doing on here, it seems like a lot of people really dislike minis and nanos. I'm just curious why? I haven't found many minis (a couple), but I thought the one nano I found was pretty sweet. I do like the ammo cans and the regular caches, but as someone who basically likes to hunt for them, sign the log and move on (and maybe swap TBs), minis don't really bother me.

I like micros. I like other caches, also, but I really enjoy a micro. I like that they can be hidden just about anywhere. I like that I can go to completely ordinary places that people go to all the time and find a cache and the rest of the world doesn't have a clue.
Honestly, I was thinking about buying a few waterproof mini/nano cases as my first caches. Just to kind of get a feel of it and work my way up to the bigger caches and such. I know these are basically quick finds and all, but it seems like they could be fun if put in the right spot. Or, maybe I should avoid at all costs? ;)
There's only two things you really need to consider when hiding a cache:
  • Does the cache meet the guidelines?
  • Would you enjoy finding this cache?

If the answer to those two questions is 'yes', you should go for it.

Edited by sbell111

I like micros. I like other caches, also, but I really enjoy a micro. I like that they can be hidden just about anywhere. I like that I can go to completely ordinary places that people go to all the time and find a cache and the rest of the world doesn't have a clue.
Honestly, I was thinking about buying a few waterproof mini/nano cases as my first caches. Just to kind of get a feel of it and work my way up to the bigger caches and such. I know these are basically quick finds and all, but it seems like they could be fun if put in the right spot. Or, maybe I should avoid at all costs? :D
There's only two things you really need to consider when hiding a cache:
  • Does the cache meet the guidelines?
  • Would you enjoy finding this cache?

If the answer to those two questions is 'yes', you should go for it.

I Agree, I'm a newbie to so to speak. I've done a couple hides and the feed back has been great so I'm doing something right. None are Micros and all bring you to someplace worthy of the effort. They are well planned and thought out (yet some still got Jet Skied...LOL - my last one solved that issue too). I'm still learning and probably will be for a long time to come.

I did listen to several Cacher's advice - wait until you've done at least 100 caches so you get a feel for what is enjoyable and what's not. This is good solid advise as my concepts are still changing. It doesn't matter the size you'll find interesting things and bad things - I have found it necessary to carry extra logs and baggies to doctor up caches both regular and micros but mostly micros as now days 35mm film has been replaced by digital there seems to be an overwhelming amount of extra film cans available and they do not make good dry containers - they all leak each and every one will after enough use. Baggies well you can't get 1oz freezer bags to my knowledge so they wear out too. Log space is limited thus usually full.

Yes, when I see a cache that is damaged I try my best to resolve it for the owner and save them a trip by replacing the baggies or add more log or I've even replaced a few containers that were damaged if I happen to have the exact type. Old wet logs that would do nothing more than generate mold I bring back and offer to mail to the owner (so far out of 4 like that not one owner wanted the old log - go figure).

Why? I do this out of appreciation for the hide, my fellow Cachers and the game itself.

That being said I've found that it's not the size that counts, heck not even the number of smilies - it's really about the hunt and the journey! Even poor hides/containers can be a blast mixed in with the others along a route. I also find that caching with another couple or group driving around like a bunch of teenagers out to have fun can be most entertaining.

What I don't care for is the missing caches that haven't been archived and the owner is slow to check on. I don't like being the one who went on the wild goose chase only to find Velcro. I almost feel the owner should grant a find if you discover the hide but the container has vanished. But I don't care about the numbers, it's more about if I would ever return to that area once it's fixed after I've cleared most of what was there.

It's not a perfect world - so if you find there are types you don't care for don't do them - the ability to omit those from your query is quite simple. Reminds me of the folks that complain about TV programs etc. - why not just change the channel.

One more thing I've learned...

88ec1ef6-a8e8-4528-b4f1-ea6df2430102.jpg

Be happy Cache On! :D