Dipping a Personal Geocoin

Airhead-kb

A geo-buddy showed me a neat 'trick'.

Get one new unactivated geo-coin.

Activate it.

'dip' it in every cache you do. That is place it in each cache and then retrieve it back out.

You can then look at the coin's path in google earth and see all of your finds and see how many miles you been caching.

I am moving this thread from the Geocaching Topics forum to the Geocoin Discussions forum.

In passing, could I ask a favor? If you use a separate note to drop the tracking coin, either because you forgot to drop it with your log or if you're retroactively logging the coin, PLEASE delete the extra note. This keeps the cache page neat and tidy. You can do that without affecting the geocoin's history.

The www.itsnotaboutthenumbers.com site does it automatically and goes all the way back to your first find for you. It does not give you a map, but mine would look like an Etch-A-Sketch given to a one year old child anyway. :)

Right now, as of my last upload last week, I am at 187036.47 miles (301006.03 kilometres) (Excludes locationless and known traveling caches). That is good enough for me and I don't have to deal with the trackable re-grabbing and/or the "oops I forgot to log this" logs. I see the only added benefit as seeing the map, which you would have to see if that matters to you.

...In passing, could I ask a favor? If you use a separate note to drop the tracking coin, either because you forgot to drop it with your log or if you're retroactively logging the coin, PLEASE delete the extra note. This keeps the cache page neat and tidy. You can do that without affecting the geocoin's history.

Thanks, I didn't know that.

While catching up, I did find I could back-date notes to the day I logged the cache so it doesn't show up a while later. Now, it is almost automatic.

I had a geo-buddy show me something similar after he found one of our unactivated coins. He activated and then keeps it in his swag bag. Everytime he meets someone in the field he shows them the coin and they "Discover" it. Then he can look back at any time and have a contact list of everyone he's met along the way. I supposed he could be recording his miles as well on the same coin :)

We've released four coins out into the wild and three of them are MIA. Because of this we will no longer be releasing coins for travel. It would be quicker to just take $8 and toss it out the car window!

We do LOVE coins however, and in order to be involved with them to some degree I have taken our favorite special coin, activated it -- and now it lives in my geo-purse.

We DO NOT dip this coin into every cache we find -- I don't have that kind of time! We DO however, dip it in special caches -- caches that take us to an awesome place, or that are somehow original in their placement or type of hide. When we cache in a new town we choose the cache we think was the coolest one of that trip, and we dip our coin into that cache. Also, when we run into other cachers, we show it to them and ask them to discover it. This way our cool little coin racks up mileage and gets shared with people, but never leaves the safety of our own hands.

That being said, we DO love to find coins in caches. IF we find one of yours you can rest assured that we will take very good care of it and make the extra effort to move it someplace safe and special. Thanks to all those who DO share their coins!

The www.itsnotaboutthenumbers.com site does it automatically and goes all the way back to your first find for you. It does not give you a map, but mine would look like an Etch-A-Sketch given to a one year old child anyway. ;)

Right now, as of my last upload last week, I am at 187036.47 miles (301006.03 kilometres) (Excludes locationless and known traveling caches). That is good enough for me and I don't have to deal with the trackable re-grabbing and/or the "oops I forgot to log this" logs. I see the only added benefit as seeing the map, which you would have to see if that matters to you.

I also use www.itsnotaboutthenumbers.com track my cache-to-cache distance. It also has maps that show which counties, states, and countries you've cached in, terrain/difficulty combinations, etc. Lots of interesting stats. And a lot more easier than dropping and grabbing a TB/geocoin into every single cache I find.

I see what you are saying, I've recently released 2 coins that both came up MIA after only making it 9 miles. My question is this, I would like for them to travel to various EMS departments and Fire Departments, without the hassle of taking them there myself. So, if I kep them and "dipped" them wouldn't that be defeating the pupose of them being travelers? and to me, it's not as fun if I have to take them. I'd rather see others enjoy looking at them and helping them on their journey. Is MIA coin just the risk I'm going to have to take?

Thanks

I am awaiting my coin, it is very special to me, HOWEVER, I bought it to spread awareness of my childs and friends children's disability. I don't want to "dip" the coin, instead, I'd like for people to find it, log it and read the history, as I have done with the trackable's I've discovered and found! Am I behind the times of trackables or is this still possible? If it's still possible, where's a safe place to mail it? My area seems 'taboo' to coins, message me please I'll send it even if it's a PO box, I'll activate it and send it on it's way.....

i know personal mileage coins are very common but I'm coinfused why this thread is approved by keystone but a recent thread announcing a geocoin game that was created to use your mileage coins was bricked instantly ( summarily enough to appear rude to me ) by mtn-man.

You do have to physically go find a cache and take your coin with you, in some instances even photograph your coin with that cache. I know it was created by a thoughtful individual whose only idea was to give an opportunity to folks he's never met to take a coin OUT of their 'bottom drawer' and use that tracking number/icon to win some coins

the game i believe is still running till june

I do this with a TB I got about 6 months after I started caching. So, excluding my first 6 months I've gone 73,674 miles. It does get tedious at times, especially when I've found a lot of caches for the day, but I enjoy the snapshot it gives me of what I've done. I also use it as a spoiler file; if I have a spoiler to post about a particular cache I've found I'll usually put it in the "Retrieved" log for TB.

I have nice dipping coin, however it is getting a pain to dip the coin in each cache I have done, and then retreiving it.

I have planned a loop to 48 caches in a day, I am not looking forward to dipping my coin in the caches, Would be nice if something was done on the site with regards to that, however I am getting bored of doing dipping as there are other means of getting travelled stats etc, I may just release the coin.

i know personal mileage coins are very common but I'm coinfused why this thread is approved by keystone but a recent thread announcing a geocoin game that was created to use your mileage coins was bricked instantly ( summarily enough to appear rude to me ) by mtn-man.

Simple actually. It is because the discussions are "apples and oranges".

You can do personal mileage coins all you want. This topic is perfectly fine and the practice is accepted by Groundspeak.

If I am recalling correctly since you have not linked to it directly, the other topic you are talking about that I closed was either a contest on a site that was a commercial site and they did not ask for permission to post the contest *or* the travel bugs or coins were going to have the numbers in the open and "virtual" moves were going to be done (I actually think it is the latter, but I cannot recall). Both of those are against Groundspeak policy. If you would link to the exact topic, I am sure the reasoning would be clear. Topics are closed only if they go against established policy. If I did anything incorrect and/or improper, I am sure that Groundspeak would have been complained to and I would have been notified of the error.

If you are going to call my actions "rude", it would be nice if you would link to it instead of generalizing so others could form an opinion based on fact, not on innuendo.

EDITED TO ADD....

OK, it came back to me when I saw your links in your signature line. I found the exact topic here. As I recalled, and as is documented in the closed topic, virtual logging was the problem and is in fact against Groundspeak policy. The user also spammed the forums with the same topic and it took me a half hour to clean all of their post out.

Sorry if it seemed rude, but the truth is what it is. The topic was closed properly since the site promoted violation of Groundspeak policy.

Edited by mtn-man

I too am concerned about loosing my coins. Many of the caches that list a coin or TB don't have anything inside when you get there. I have heard of people keeping the coins and just having others discover them. That is not right. If you own the coin, you can do whatever you want with it, but not if it belongs to someone else. I recently earned some AGT coins. I refuse to lose them since I had to work for them. I am borrowing an idea that I found in other caches. I took digital photos of the front and reverse of the coin, printed them in high quality color, laminated them, and am going to put that in the caches to travel. Some have complained that they are denied the chance to see the coin. My photos are just as good if not better b/c they are slightly larger and easier to see. They are just not 3-D or heavy. Again, this was not my original idea, but I am definitely doing this instead of losing my coins. :rolleyes: I hope my coins can complete their goal. I love to get coins and TB's at caches and move them on to a new one and I am sure others feel the same. I have been caching for about 1 month now and have 64 finds. I hope to place my first cache soon. Happy Caching to all. :laughing:

Edited by froggie85