"Found" vs. "Needs Maintenance"

Blue_Genes

I'm so new at this...

I found a cache today that desperately needed attention, so I posted my log as "needs maintenance." I don't think I got credit for finding it, though... it doesn't show up in my account, there's no check mark next to it on the list of "all geocaches" in my area, and that cache's most recent find date is from the person before me. I'm guessing I need to post another log saying I "found" it? Seems kinda redundant...

The "needs maintenance" log did let me drop off & pick up my trackables, so I obviously won't log those as dropped off & picked up again, right?

Thanks so much... so many rules for a game!!!

I'm so new at this...

I found a cache today that desperately needed attention, so I posted my log as "needs maintenance." I don't think I got credit for finding it, though... it doesn't show up in my account, there's no check mark next to it on the list of "all geocaches" in my area, and that cache's most recent find date is from the person before me. I'm guessing I need to post another log saying I "found" it? Seems kinda redundant...

The "needs maintenance" log did let me drop off & pick up my trackables, so I obviously won't log those as dropped off & picked up again, right?

Thanks so much... so many rules for a game!!!

You have found the flaw in the NM log. It IS redundant.

If you found it and log your find and mention in that log the cache log is wet. The owner gets the log, you get your find, and everbody knows it needs maintance. Plus inactive owners won't really notice a NM log over a Regualr log and Active owners don't need the NM log because they read the Find log.

The only reason to use a NM log is to set an attribute flag for "needs maintaince" The the cache will have one more attribute in addtion to "dog friendly" "Parking" and others. The owner is supposed to clear the flag but I always forget. Over time most of my caches will have NM flags without needing maintenance.

Two logs were one would do, doesn't strike me as a better system.

Now if you could log your find and had a check box for Needs maintance, that's progress. Except for all the various intrepretations of what NM really is. Some folks think that a lack of swag is cause for NM. It's not.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Could be a second or third visit to the cache so you don't want to log an addtional find - that is why they are separate.

Good point. On a 2nd visit it's not redundant.

Expansing on the idea in my post above, the NM Flag on a Note would work as well as a NM flag on a Find. Rather than NM log as a stand alone log. No redundancy.

I like the suggestion!!