Need HTML help I think.

Flatouts

First of all I have no clue what I'm doing with this HTML stuff and I know the best advise is then don't do it...

But I must have a decent introduction to my cache. I'm trying to put out only decent quality caches at least for now... Someday perhaps evil twisted micros where you'd least expect it. :rolleyes:

I read on GC somewhere you can just create till your hearts content on word save it as html copy that sucker right on in there an wala presto bingo it works... Well we all know there's a little more to it and I've figured most of it out so I think. To me it's real sloppy but what do I know. But that's how I do it.

Anyway I've only done 3 and it's this third one that isn't cooperating - works great on Firefox which I thought everybody uses these days... But it doesn't load any pictures from my part of the code in IE... But does show the background? All pics hail from the same source the gallery of the cache page of course (I don't have a place of my own that will work for this).

Okay IE doesn't show pictures on the cache page of GC19RFJ

Firefox does just fine.

I didn't get any script errors that I know of even with display all set?

I'm real green and well some folks say I'm a little slow but pa says I'm just ignorant is all.. So take it Slooow K.

I apologize if this is the 15,000 time someone has had this I did a search, scanned the first 4 pages and just gave up and asked.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Vince

Edited by Flatouts

I tried the code in the cache description by itself, and it did the same thing you describe. However I cut out the table holding the top photos and it worked fine in both rendering engines. It must be all that crazy and unnecessary code Word generated. I bet that you could get the same appearance with half the code if it were written in HTML by a person.

I'm just halfway through my HTML class, so I really can't find what exactly is causing it. I hate to tell you to go chopping up the code, but if you can hit whatever IE doesn't like it will probably start displaying the photos.

First of all I have no clue what I'm doing with this HTML stuff and I know the best advise is then don't do it...

But I must have a decent introduction to my cache. I'm trying to put out only decent quality caches at least for now... Someday perhaps evil twisted micros where you'd least expect it. :rolleyes:

I read on GC somewhere you can just create till your hearts content on word save it as html copy that sucker right on in there an wala presto bingo it works... Well we all know there's a little more to it and I've figured most of it out so I think. To me it's real sloppy but what do I know. But that's how I do it.

Anyway I've only done 3 and it's this third one that isn't cooperating - works great on Firefox which I thought everybody uses these days... But it doesn't load any pictures from my part of the code in IE... But does show the background? All pics hail from the same source the gallery of the cache page of course (I don't have a place of my own that will work for this).

Okay IE doesn't show pictures on the cache page of GC19RFJ

Firefox does just fine.

I didn't get any script errors that I know of even with display all set?

I'm real green and well some folks say I'm a little slow but pa says I'm just ignorant is all.. So take it Slooow K.

I apologize if this is the 15,000 time someone has had this I did a search, scanned the first 4 pages and just gave up and asked.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Vince

e-Mail Sent.

Edited by O-Mega

Actually, using Word is horrible advice. The code it generates is pretty much a disaster - code that no sane person would come up with if they were creating the HTML from scratch.

Download the free HTML editor Nvu, and give it try. It creates fairly clean code, and the code will actually work.

Edited by Prime Suspect

Thanks for the help everyone!

I was able to get it working using NVU - really nice tool to work with. Still has a loose tag someplace but I ran out of time. Hope to fix tonight.

I'm glad to report my error didn't stop our local cachers - FTF doglvr!

Cool thing is that is the very one that inspired the cache in the first place!

WooHoo life is great and I'm a happy cacher!

I'm generally opposed to using any HTML editor other than note pad (hand-coding).

If you find yourself wanting to go that rout and thusly avoiding countless needless tags and notes that the program throws in, visit this websight: http://www.draac.com

I do believe if it can be done with HTML, draac shows how to do it.

I wouldn't say I am opposed to using an HTML editor but I think it's a good idea to learn how to write raw html before using a tool that hides the html.

That said, I've had really good experience using a WYSIWYG editor such as TinyMCE for creating tagged text that becomes part of a web page. I'm surprised that geocaching.com hasn't replaced the short and long description areas with textareas managed with something like TinyMCE or FCKEdit. Configured correctly they can be flexible, yet easy to use.

I've been writing HTML since the days of Lynx and Mosaic and up until a couple of years ago wrote everything using the unix "vi" editor. Now I use the Eclipse IDE. I still write raw html but I can tag completion and real-time syntax checking.

BTW, one of the best ways to learn HTML is to find a page that you like, use the "View Source" feature in your browser then cut-n-paste the html into a new .html file and start editing that.

Wow you guys are great I'm learning more every day and I hope others that read this thread do also. Thanks!

BTW I've got all my problems resolved, still messy and will be using other methods as mentioned above in the future. I've found the best way to learn is to jump in with both feet and struggle a little what don't kill you makes you stronger. I'll probably never write from scratch and dazzle anyone with my coding abilities (use to work on mainframes - SDL, Cobol, NDL, WFL, DMSII, Algol - Unisys systems so I've done that been there and it's not what I'm here for). Mircocomputer age started at the end of my tenure so it's a lot like knowing nothing and starting over.