Does a 4GB Miscro SDHC card work on the Vista HCx?

moonpup

I need to get a micro sd card for my Vista HCx, but will the 4GB micro sdhc card work and will it work to full capacity? Am I better off getting 2 regular 2GB sd cards and use one for topo and one for CN-NT 2008?

Didn't know if you knew or not that regardless which size card you get you still won't be able to load all of U.S. Topo on it. The GPS is limited to 2,025 map segments and U.S. Topo has considerably more than this. The only work around to this is to resize the map segments in U.S. Topo. The procedure can be found in the forum on some earlier posts. Maybe someone else can add more info. concerning the full use of a 4GB card when map segment limit does not come in to play.

edit:

all of CN NT 2008 plus about 1/4 of U.S. Topo will go on a 2GB card.

Edited by eaparks

This still boggles my mind as to why Garmin sets these map segment limits. With all these high capacity cards and the fact that we have expandable memory, this should not be an issue. Does anyone know if this is a hardware sort of limitation or is Garmin just being a pain in the a** about it??

Edit to add: If they can load all of Topo 2008 on the Colorado's with no segment limit then this should be carried across to the other x lines as well.

Edited by moonpup

I think it's Garmin being a pain... In an early 60CSx firmware, they increased the number to 2025 which proves it can be adjusted (atleast it was changed, it's remotely possible 2025 is hardware limit, but that's VERY unlikely)

As for 4gb, I highly doubt it'd work being that they're all SDHC. This requires new drivers, and the card wasn't invented when the device was released. They could put out a new firmware, but they seem to be kind of done with firmware for this series

I need to get a micro sd card for my Vista HCx, but will the 4GB micro sdhc card work and will it work to full capacity? Am I better off getting 2 regular 2GB sd cards and use one for topo and one for CN-NT 2008?

Max size is 2 gigs. Garmin warns that Sandisk Ultra II model is not compatible

I think it's Garmin being a pain... In an early 60CSx firmware, they increased the number to 2025 which proves it can be adjusted (atleast it was changed, it's remotely possible 2025 is hardware limit, but that's VERY unlikely)

As for 4gb, I highly doubt it'd work being that they're all SDHC. This requires new drivers, and the card wasn't invented when the device was released. They could put out a new firmware, but they seem to be kind of done with firmware for this series

I have a New Vista HCx, and a Nuvi 360. I needed an SD card for other devices, picked up an AData Class 6, 4GB microSDHC with adapter from Newegg. It works just fine in my Nuvi 360 and the micro is recognized by the Vista HCx. I have 45mb of Texas segments from Topo US 2008, loaded and several routes along with all my tracks stored their. when I check the card for available space, it reports 3785.0MB available

:(

Edited by texbaz

If a 4 Gb works in an unit, then it's not an SDHC.

The SD card standard states that non-HC SD cards have a maximum capacity of 2Gb. Some manufacturers have found the way to produce 4Gb cards and sell them. These are non official, and compatibility is not sure.

If you bought a real SDHC, it wouldn't work. Even though the form factor is the same, the insides are completely different and do not work the same way at all.

At this time, only Colorados will support SDHCs.

If a 4 Gb works in an unit, then it's not an SDHC.

The SD card standard states that non-HC SD cards have a maximum capacity of 2Gb. Some manufacturers have found the way to produce 4Gb cards and sell them. These are non official, and compatibility is not sure.

If you bought a real SDHC, it wouldn't work. Even though the form factor is the same, the insides are completely different and do not work the same way at all.

At this time, only Colorados will support SDHCs.

This user ( http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Garmin_GPSmap_76C/message/6583 ) reports using a 6 GB card in his 76CSx. Loaded maps are still limited to <2 GB (and of course the 2025 map segment limit), but he is able to use the remaining space on the card for other purposes. Are there 6 GB micro-SD cards that are not SDHC?

Let's put some part numbers up here with links to the cards on Newegg.

Newegg 4gb micro SDHC and adapter

I can only go by what the vendor and manufacture say it is. My Vista HCx reports it to be a little under 4gb and so does Windows XP Media Center. Oh yeah, my Nuvi 360 also reads it as 4GB. Still limited by the 2025 segment deal. although, I did find the links to the work around that another forum member has come up with and I'll be trying that later.