y love water tower

cloudyboy

From what I can gather, in his post, all the lone "y"s = "I". As an example, the thread title is "I love water tower." Based on his profile, as 89sc said, cloudyboy likes water tanks, standpipes, etc. Most of his logs appear to be based on what can be seen on google maps or some other similar program. I base this assumption on the fact that, for example, on March 12 he logged tanks in NJ, FL, MS, NC, WA, and NH, and it would be extremely difficult to visit all those sites in one days time (unless he's actually visited them in the past, and is just now getting around to logging them). Also, all his logs seem be "grouped", as in, the recent logs are all "water tanks"; before that it was "municipal tanks".

Which brings us to his post. I *think* he's wanting to know if he can search the site for water towers and standpipes that are located in Canada. I am, however, still confused about the "other than eurake4you".

Hi, CloudyBoy:

It appears that you are logging water tanks on GEOCACHING.COM, based entirely upon representations on GoogleEarth or a similar database of aerial photographs. The fact that you are logging tanks hundreds of miles apart on the same day implies that you have not been to the tanks, in person.

The "standard of performance" on GEOCACHING.COM that you must have visited a site before logging an object--even if it is visible in aerial photographs. This includes creating entries for FOUND, NOT FOUND, or DESTROYED.

Since aerial photographs on the Internet are eighteen to 36 months old, you could be logging an entry as "Still silver", when in fact, the tank was recently repainted. Your "long gone" entries are inappropriate because you do not know when the tower was dismantled.

There is another compelling reason for not logging "arm chair" recoveries. If you physically visit a site, you can report whether the foundation for the tank or standpipe still remains. This is important to know, because often the tank is the reference point for finding a nearby disk--especially if it is mounted in one of the legs' bases.

Like you, I like finding water tanks and standpipes. While aerial photography can tell you what to expect when you visit a site, it cannot give you the "ground" viewpoint. Nor does it allow you to take a picture with your own camera, which is strongly encouraged on GEOCACHING.COM, and which is a requirement for Waymarking.COM (where a lot of water tanks are logged).

I hope this information is helpful, and that you will refrain from logging any object which you have not physically visited, in person.

Best regards,

-Paul-

yea y know pff but when you see home at the coordinate this is sure the tank is gone

y live in canada and in canada there no site the log water tower(expet Waymarking but there just a few on this site in canada :) so it why y log water tower in u.s.a because i love them and in u.s.a there unique water tower: 3legged ,steel structure set on a high stone fondation(se weir mo)

and somethine aerial view are vert useful like birdseyeview high def oblique view. so it why y log mostly gone tank(and many tank are replaced just before is description

Right, but the whole point is to VISIT it. And, if the photo is 2 years old, its quite possible the structure was destroyed, moved, painted, or basically NOT what is represented on a photo. By you logging it as, for instance, still standing, in excellent condition, and someone visits it tomorrow, based on YOUR description from a picture dated 2 years ago, and its gone, YOU have just negatively affected someone elses experience. Thats the whole point of VISITING the places; so you can SEE them. What you are doing by logging them via an arial photo is wrong.

CloudyBoy,

[/size]

You have been asked several times in this Forum, and by mail, to cease logging water tanks based upon aerial photographs. Yet you have continued to do so.

Your observation that some of our members are reporting the wrong tank has been noted. Yet, it has been pointed out by our participants that Internet-accessible aerial photographs are out of date. Occasionally, you are in error and are contradicting the reports of competent ground observers.

This is a respectful request that you stop creating logs for sites you have not visited, and that you delete (using the "archive" function) your previous reports. If you do not do so voluntarily, this matter will be referred to the Moderators for further investigation and action.

Personally, I appreciate your enthusiasm for water towers and standpipes. I likewise enjoy researching, finding, and photographing these structures. However, your actions are not consistent with the objectives and standards at GEOGACHING.COM/MARK, and they are setting a bad example for others.

Benchmark hunting is a fun experience which involves using one's GPS to locate and log interesting objects. Because you are using aerial photos which are available to anyone, there is no "hero" aspect to what you are doing. If you are physically able to travel, then I encourage you to visit water tanks in person and take photos with your own camera.

Summary: If you are unable to get to the sites, that is unfortunate, and I respect that. However, it remains inappropriate for you to log objects you have not visited, or to attempt to "clean up the database". That's not what this is about, and your cooperation will be appreciated.

Paul

Edited by PFF

Sure, I can see it's right there!

HZ2073

Google Map

Yeah, sure it is. Or was in 1997, when the Terraserver aerial photo was taken. Unfortunately, time marches on:

See the March 14, 2005 Eminence city council minutes:

Subject: Water Tower Removal Bid – Public Works Director William Smith reported that two bids were received for the old water tower removal. The lowest bid was for $10,600.00 from Iseler Demolition. The other bid was for $13,700.00. Jay Hoffman, who is working with him on the bidding and overseeing the project, has recommended we take the lowest bid. The work will probably be done sometime in April after the company completes a project they are working on in Richmond, KY. Discussion held on how we would pay for this project. City Clerk Doane suggested transferring money from a project item in the water and sewer reserve account, which will not be completed this year to the tank demolition expenditure. Motion made by Member Ferguson and seconded by Member Stephens to accept the lowest bid of $10,600.00 from Iseler Demolition for the water tower demolition and to authorize transferring $10,600.00 from the line item valve replacement project to water tower removal in the water and sewer reserve account budget. All members present voted “Yea”.

Edited by holograph

I would suggest that when you work from aerial photos you make your entries as a NOTE and not a found/destroyed log.

If you say something like "NOTE: 1998 aerial photo shows this water tank has been torn down" or "2004 aerial photo shows it still present" this may be helpful to other people looking for such objects.

I agree with the other posters that you should not submit found or destroyed logs based on pictures of a place you did not visit. That causes confusion.

Thanks to Holograph for doing the research I didn't think to do

Thanks to Bill93 for making the obvious suggestion that satisfies all parties concerned.

Thanks in advance to cloudyboy for (hopefully) EDITING (changing) all those 'questionable' found logs to notes, to more correctly reflect the actual status of the water tanks.

I think I can speak for most (if not all) of the group in wishing that I (or someone) could take cloudyboy on a serious tour of US water tanks. :)

Thanks to Holograph for doing the research I didn't think to do

Thanks to Bill93 for making the obvious suggestion that satisfies all parties concerned.

Thanks in advance to cloudyboy for (hopefully) EDITING (changing) all those 'questionable' found logs to notes, to more correctly reflect the actual status of the water tanks.

I think I can speak for most (if not all) of the group in wishing that I (or someone) could take cloudyboy on a serious tour of US water tanks. :D

;) ok seriously i have now many logs how i can change it to note?

Sure, I can see it's right there!

HZ2073

Google Map

Yeah, sure it is. Or was in 1997, when the Terraserver aerial photo was taken. Unfortunately, time marches on:

See the March 14, 2005 Eminence city council minutes:

Subject: Water Tower Removal Bid – Public Works Director William Smith reported that two bids were received for the old water tower removal. The lowest bid was for $10,600.00 from Iseler Demolition. The other bid was for $13,700.00. Jay Hoffman, who is working with him on the bidding and overseeing the project, has recommended we take the lowest bid. The work will probably be done sometime in April after the company completes a project they are working on in Richmond, KY. Discussion held on how we would pay for this project. City Clerk Doane suggested transferring money from a project item in the water and sewer reserve account, which will not be completed this year to the tank demolition expenditure. Motion made by Member Ferguson and seconded by Member Stephens to accept the lowest bid of $10,600.00 from Iseler Demolition for the water tower demolition and to authorize transferring $10,600.00 from the line item valve replacement project to water tower removal in the water and sewer reserve account budget. All members present voted “Yea”.

1997 aerial view and 2004

i have now many logs how i can change it to note?

1. Go to your profile by clicking on your name (which appears as a link on your posts).

2. Click the tab which says GEOCACHES. It will bring you to a list showing the number of finds in every category you have submitted.

3. Click the button for NGS BENCHMARKS. This will display a summary of all of your logs. You can see which ones already are "Notes".

4. For those which are not "Notes", click the PID (identification number). It will take you to the data sheet.

5. On the data sheet, look for your entry. Click the button on the right called "Visit Log".

6. Once a log is displayed, look in the upper left corner and click EDIT LOG.

7. Using the drop down box, select "Write Note" and then save the modified log. It now will appear as a NOTE when anyone views the data sheet.

Hopefully, you can then do two or three clicks of the BACK button on your browser to return to the list of your logs. This speeds up the process. But spot check to make certain it does not undo the last entry.

I hope this is helpful,

-Paul-

Edited by PFF

I found this tank last week and not having done a lot of benchmarking it is my favorite find so far.

AR1492

http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.aspx?PID=AR1492

Like you, I like finding water tanks and standpipes. While aerial photography can tell you what to expect when you visit a site, it cannot give you the "ground" viewpoint. Nor does it allow you to take a picture with your own camera, which is strongly encouraged on GEOCACHING.COM, and which is a requirement for Waymarking.COM (where a lot of water tanks are logged).

Floridaflamingo:

You're kidding, right? Did you post the wrong picture, maybe? In benchmarking terms, a water tower is BIG. Noticeable from a distance. Miles away if you get a little height.

That's why I liked it so much. The description said water tank and with that in my head I was looking for a tower but I was looking for the wrong (preconceived) thing. It said tank and it meant tank and I was like, DUH! It's pretty cool and has been around since 1935.

Designation: GAINESVILLE WATER TANK

Marker Type: tank

Documented History (by the NGS)

1/1/1935 by CGS (FIRST OBSERVED)

NO DESCRIPTIVE TEXT AVAILABLE.

Flamingo, the triangulation networks used the typical hundred foot tall municipal water towers, church spires, tall smokestacks, radio towers, etc. as things to sight on from a distance of several miles so they could work out the distances and angles between observation stations.

If an item in the data base with adjusted horizontal coordinates isn't a disk (that they probably built a temporary tower over), then it will be a tall object.

If you look around where the coordinates take you, you might find some evidence of the old tower such as concrete foundations in a pattern suited to the tower legs, or an abundance of manhole covers over the old piping.

Since someone has previously logged the observation that there are no tall towers close by, I expect the object referred to by this data sheet is gone.

From the Hippo list at the NGS site.

L 51 Tank

L 52 Standpipe tank

L 53 Elevated tank

L 54 Water tower

L 55 Tower

L 56 Skeleton tower

L 57 Lookout tower

L 58 Control tower

Note that L 51 is just a tank and Not an elevated tank. all the others on the list are specifically labeled as elevated or being a tower, but not "L 51".

What he should be looking for, is open to discussion. What he found may actually have fit the bill (not Bill 93 that is), but we have never been to Gainesville to verify what is there. :D

John

While we can't rule out that Floridaflamingo found the (a?) tank, it looks more like the foundation for a small outbuilding. The notch in the foundation could have been for a doorway or window. I like Bill93's reasoning that intersection stations are usually visually prominent structures that could be observed from a distance.

I found this tank last week and not having done a lot of benchmarking it is my favorite find so far.

AR1492

http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.aspx?PID=AR1492

Do you have a wider view picture of the area? The tank you show in your picture looks to be part of a larger structure that might actually be the remains of a standpipe/tank.

John

I was just sitting here watching some remodel show on HGTV and this guy in Key West (remember I'm in FL) had two cisterns in his back yard that he ended up using as the basis of a pool. Their was only one fast flash of a picture but they were almost exactly as the part of that think I think is a tank.

It sent me to ny computer to see what else I could find - http://www.salvo.co.uk/images/userimgs/414...ern_39118_1.jpg.

I think maybe 2oldfarts is onto something.

Edited by Floridaflamingo

After reading this topic I find your excitement for water tanks/stacks refreshing. However, logging them based on sat photos, not good. I remember what it was like to be 13 and limited in what you can do by $$ and parents. So, I propose a possible solution to a fellow geocacher/benchmarker. After a quick search I was able to find 5 water towers/stacks within 5 miles of my home. (SY2329, SY2661, SY2944, SY2317 and SY2539) I am willing to photograph those and upload the images to you so YOU can log them. I also challenge other benchmarkers to do the same. It'll be fun and you get to log the finds correctly! What do you think?