My first Cache

burgessfour

Hi, I know you probably hear this all the time but I placed my first cache almost three days ago and it is still awaiting review. It is active and there are no reviewer notes; is there a way to find out who my reviewer will be and contact them to be sure they have the information? I know they are volunteers and I'm trying to be patient; but it's my first one and I check on it about every hour to see if it has been published yet.

Thank you

Between 4:30 and 5:00 PST I will be driving home so I can't answer posts but I will check as soon as I get home and respond-I don't want you all to think I don't appreciate your advice!

Edited by burgessfour

Hi, I know you probably hear this all the time but I placed my first cache almost three days ago and it is still awaiting review. It is active and there are no reviewer notes; is there a way to find out who my reviewer will be and contact them to be sure they have the information? I know they are volunteers and I'm trying to be patient; but it's my first one and I check on it about every hour to see if it has been published yet.

Thank you

Look for some nearby caches that were recently published and "View All Logs". The reviewer will likely be the first log entry.

Make sure that the box next to "Yes, this listing is active..." is checked. If it isn't the reviewer will not have seen your listing yet. It's there to allow you to obtain a waypoint (which you might put on your cache) and work on the listing until it's ready to submit for review. If you've already done that wait a couple more days before sending the reviewer email. He/She may just be out of town.

When I place a new cache I do the following:

Determine where I want to place the cache and capture the coordinates with my GPS. The first few times I reviewed the guidelines to make sure that it met the criteria.

Fill out the form with just the basic information using the coordinates and uncheck the "yes, this listing is active" box. That'll give me the waypoint ID that will be used for the cache.

Prepare the cache container with the name and waypoint ID in the log book and on the container if appropriate (it's the container is camouflaged I might leave that info of the container).

Work on the listing until it meets my satisfaction. All my descriptions are in HTML, I might want to upload images, or if it's an unknown puzzle I confirm that the puzzle works correctly.

Go out and navigate to the location where I'm going to place the cache and adjust the coordinates if necessary.

Go back and update the listing if necessary, check the "yes, this listing is active" box,, and submit it for review.

Thank you

Look for some nearby caches that were recently published and "View All Logs". The reviewer will likely be the first log entry.

Make sure that the box next to "Yes, this listing is active..." is checked. If it isn't the reviewer will not have seen your listing yet. It's there to allow you to obtain a waypoint (which you might put on your cache) and work on the listing until it's ready to submit for review. If you've already done that wait a couple more days before sending the reviewer email. He/She may just be out of town.

When I place a new cache I do the following:

Determine where I want to place the cache and capture the coordinates with my GPS. The first few times I reviewed the guidelines to make sure that it met the criteria.

Fill out the form with just the basic information using the coordinates and uncheck the "yes, this listing is active" box. That'll give me the waypoint ID that will be used for the cache.

Prepare the cache container with the name and waypoint ID in the log book and on the container if appropriate (it's the container is camouflaged I might leave that info of the container).

Work on the listing until it meets my satisfaction. All my descriptions are in HTML, I might want to upload images, or if it's an unknown puzzle I confirm that the puzzle works correctly.

Go out and navigate to the location where I'm going to place the cache and adjust the coordinates if necessary.

Go back and update the listing if necessary, check the "yes, this listing is active" box,, and submit it for review.

Thanks! Would it be rude to contact the reviewer?

The publishing guideline is 72 hours. That's what the reviewers strive for. Sometimes other things get in the way, however.

There's no need to check the cache every hour, though, because you'll get an email when it's published.

I know I'm a lttle overanxious-I put a lot of thought and effort into it and I can't wait to share it with others.

I know I'm a lttle overanxious-I put a lot of thought and effort into it and I can't wait to share it with others.

I don't want to sound rude, but let me see if I understand: you have been caching for 6 days, and you hid your first cache 3 days ago (after 3 days of geocaching), and yet you say you "put a lot of thought and effort into it"? Were you putting thought and effort into it even before you got on Geocaching.com? :) Just wondering. :ph34r:

I don't want to sound rude, but let me see if I understand: you have been caching for 6 days, and you hid your first cache 3 days ago (after 3 days of geocaching), and yet you say you "put a lot of thought and effort into it"? Were you putting thought and effort into it even before you got on Geocaching.com? :) Just wondering. :ph34r:

Three days of thought and effort is a lot more than 90 percent of the caches I see out there.

Three days of thought and effort is a lot more than 90 percent of the caches I see out there.

Ha! :ph34r: Touché.

It's dedicated to my mother that died from breast cancer.......Sorry if it offends you. :ph34r:

Edited by burgessfour

My wife is a Breast Cancer surviver so When I get down your way, I'll be sure to hunt your cache :)

I also will be hiding my first cache here in the next week or two. I have the location picked out and the cache is ready but there is just a bit too much snow on the ground for easy access

Thank you

I don't want to sound rude, but let me see if I understand: you have been caching for 6 days, and you hid your first cache 3 days ago (after 3 days of geocaching), and yet you say you "put a lot of thought and effort into it"? Were you putting thought and effort into it even before you got on Geocaching.com? :ph34r: Just wondering. :)

It's dedicated to my mother that died from breast cancer.......Sorry if it offends you. :ph34r:

First of all, how would I have known that?

Second, how is it relevant to this discussion?

Third, who said anything about being offended?

Fourth, and totally randomly, my father is a lung cancer survivor, and I work in cancer research for a living.

So, cheers, and good luck with the cache.

Edited by UncleJimbo

I don't want to sound rude, but let me see if I understand: you have been caching for 6 days, and you hid your first cache 3 days ago (after 3 days of geocaching), and yet you say you "put a lot of thought and effort into it"? Were you putting thought and effort into it even before you got on Geocaching.com? :ph34r: Just wondering. :)

First of all, how would I have known that?

Second, how is it relevant to this discussion?

Third, who said anything about being offended?

Fourth, and totally randomly, my father is a lung cancer survivor, and I work in cancer research for a living.

So, cheers, and good luck with the cache.

I'll take the high road here.

Thank you and keep up the research-too many wonderful people are lost far too soon.

Edited by burgessfour

Your cache is properly in line, awaiting review by one of the hard-working Oregon volunteers. There are a few caches in front of yours and others behind yours. There is no need to contact the reviewer just yet. Thanks for your patience.

Thank you for for the relevant feedback and for letting me know it is where it is supposed to be!