Waterproofing an Altoids tin

Place it inside an ammo can.

Thank you for now requiring me to clean the diet coke I just sprayed onto my keyboard at reading this.

:rolleyes:

I've seen a few altoids tins that have lasted a decent amount of time when they're not exposed to the weather at all. The baggie around the log eventually gets ripped as people take it in and out.

There are better containers out there even around that size, so I say avoid 'em.

K, any ideas for "There are better containers out there even around that size, so I say avoid 'em."

Take a look at some of the smaller Lock & Lock plastic containers. They come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes. I've found ones in grocery stores around here that are about as big as two decks of playing cards stacked on top of each other.

Here is an example of some of the smaller ones: http://www.amazon.com/Lock-Multiple-Storag...147&sr=1-14

Edited by Ferreter5

K, any ideas for "There are better containers out there even around that size, so I say avoid 'em."

Do you have a spot picked out? If so describe it and maybe we can suggest some containers that may work well. Lots of experience floating around in this forum.

Do you have a spot picked out? If so describe it and maybe we can suggest some containers that may work well. Lots of experience floating around in this forum.

Good point.

Even the lowly altoids container would be perfectly fine for some locations.

Yup, on or under an old iron railroad bridge

1 minute 18 seconds before I could stop laughing and start typing.... good one!!!!

We did several Altoid caches (outdoors) in Boca Grande (Gasparilla Island, Florida) and a few were easy finds but then I pried them in the sprocket of my bike, beat them with my frame pump, almost broke the blade off my pocket knife and tried just about everything short of a hack saw before getting them open. Then the contents were soaked and covered with rusty slime including the log. Wasn't hard being stealthy finding them, but all that pounding and cursing made us look like crackheads in need of an Altoids box fix.... :rolleyes:

I'd guess I must have thrown away 70 or 80 Altoids tins in my life - maybe more. I've never been tempted to use one as a cache container. I've seen what a rusty Altoids tin cache looks like.

Something like this?

Yes, actually. Quite a bit like that. Pretty nasty isn't it. icon8.gif

The small lock n lock with an old HDD magnet would work far better.

Hi guys!

Any ideas on waterproofing an altoids tin? :rolleyes:

Although not perfect, if you take the lid off, then flatten the tabs that make up the hinge and put duct tape over the remaining, very narrow slots, that helps.

This can be done if the site just won't support sbell111's solution. :D

It also depends on where you are going to hide the Altoids tin and what the climate is. Around here, we have some Altoids tin caches that have lasted for a fairly long time. :) In a place that gets more than 12" of rain per year, small Lock 'n Lock's are probably a better choice.

Edited by Miragee

I have an altoids out in the wild and it's been out for well over 2 years with no signs of rust. It is "mostly" free from the elements, as it is magnetically attached to the outside of a railing on a boardwalk, and the handrail above it helps protect it. I'm surprised it's still there and rust free.

I've used Altoids tins for several caches, with good results. The FAR better Altoids tin is the round style. The hinged rectangular style is inherently leaky, and I don't recommend it for hiding spots that are fully exposed to the elements in a temperate climate.

What I do for either round or rectangular tins is to spray paint them with two coats of rustproofing paint, inside and out. The thickness of the paint helps with making a better seal. I get complaints on the round tin's cache page, saying that it is too difficult to open. Yeah, but it's dry as a bone inside, and it's survived multiple floods along the Allegheny River in downtown Pittsburgh.

As always, I only employ these containers where it's the best choice for the spot. Usually there is a better choice.

I have an altoids out in the wild and it's been out for well over 2 years with no signs of rust. It is "mostly" free from the elements, as it is magnetically attached to the outside of a railing on a boardwalk, and the handrail above it helps protect it. I'm surprised it's still there and rust free.

Ditto. I have found many rusty, disgusting, almost-unopenable Altoids tins, and never thought I'd succumb to using one. But I did, last summer. My placement is almost identical to yours, outside of a bridge railing, under the flat handrail beam. The Altoids tin (a rectangular, hinged one) is naked to the elements, no baggie or anything. Living in the Seattle area, I didn't expect it to last long, esp. once the winter monsoons set in. It was intended as a temp container until I got another supply of small lock-n-locks.

Surprise! I checked on it last month and it was completely dry, inside and out, not a hint of rust. Looked just like the day I placed it. I was stunned. :rolleyes:

However, in general, I agree with the other posters - small lock-n-locks are the way to go.

Small Lock n Locks

21c99e66-1127-4bbd-be52-5830e879f6ca.jpg

Oh I wants the Silver Certificate. :rolleyes:

Ya should have found the cache. I was putting them in my small caches until I ran out.

Edited by briansnat

I have some soda bottle preforms. If you want a few let me know.

I have two. One is the hinge type and is totally protected from the elements. It's lasted close to 3 years. I also have a round one that seems to have stayed dry and nobody has complained yet that it's hard to open. That one is in a guardrail and I assume exposed to rain. They can work in limited applications, but in most cases are a poor choice for a container.

Edited by briansnat

I just happen to have an Altoids tin sitting on my desk. Decided to take a look at it when I read this thread.

After putting the mints safely out of the way, I took a look at the hinge assembly. If the holes punched out to form the "body" side of the hinge (that is, not the lid) could be sealed from the inside without impeding the hinge you'd be halfway there. A bit of rubber gasket cut to fit the inside of the lid would seal the container when the lid is closed. If you really really really wanted a waterproof Altoids container you could do this and I suspect as long as you didn't screw up it'd be more waterproof than a Kodak film canister.

As I put the mints back into the can, guess what I see on the side of it? A big old patch of rust! :) This is a tin that hasn't been outside since I brought it in from the store. I guess the last stage of my plan would be sealing the whole thing with Rustoleum or the like.

At least then it won't rust on my desk.

ROFLMAO! Love it!

Seriously though, DON'T use an altoid tin. I beg you. I too LOVE TOIDS, and have thrown out many a tin in my time. I will not use them as a cache container because we've never seen one that wasn't wet, rusty and icky. Go with the tiny lock n locks as others have suggested. You won't be sorry, and your fellow cachers will appreciate it SOOOO MUCH!!

Edited by swaninwa

I changed my sig line last night, the second part is in honor of what I've been up to.

After writing my suggestion about how to waterproof an Altiods tin, I decided to give it a try.

I took a look at the hinge assembly. If the holes punched out to form the "body" side of the hinge (that is, not the lid) could be sealed from the inside without impeding the hinge you'd be halfway there. A bit of rubber gasket cut to fit the inside of the lid would seal the container when the lid is closed.
I've done everything except the Rustoleum so far. Sealed the holes by taping off the back of the tin & applying epoxy over the holes inside. The gasket is craft foam, which should work ok I think. It's a little thick, but once it's held together for a bit it should form to the tin nicely.

4bda14a6-a0ed-49f1-95f0-c9e4fdd945a9.jpg

I'm gonna go sink it for a bit. Anyone want to bet on how it does?

;)

Edited by Too Tall John

I have two. One is the hinge type and is totally protected from the elements. It's lasted close to 3 years. I also have a round one that seems to have stayed dry and nobody has complained yet that it's hard to open. That one is in a guardrail and I assume exposed to rain. They can work in limited applications, but in most cases are a poor choice for a container.

I hesitate to ask this, and I am already donning the flame retardant suit, but where is the guardrail? I assume it is in a really cool spot that you chose so you could share it with other cachers. Fire away.

Well, I put "logbooks" in my "waterproof" Altoids tin and an "off-the-shelf" tin as well.

I sunk them in water, took them out for a peek after 10 mins. Below are the results:

The containers. Left is the "waterproof" one, right, the "off-the-shelf" one. As you can see, I used green marker to write on the logs. It came off...

9baf394c-aafe-4e48-8f5c-4aa17da0678f.jpg

The logs read "Logbook in the 'waterproof' Altoids tin. (Wintergreen Container)" on the top and "Logbook in the 'off-the-shelf' Altoids tin. (Ginger Container)" on the bottom.

bd1aa2b2-c52b-40fa-82d1-f603d0d14f4a.jpg

1b305ed6-b29e-4f03-963a-5694bf21dc01.jpg

It looks like my treatment helped, it might actually work if I had the proper gasket material, as that appears to be where the leak came from.

What can we take away from this? Altoid tins are tough to waterproof. Even if you can do it, there are simpler and more reliable ways to make a quality geocache container.

I hesitate to ask this, and I am already donning the flame retardant suit, but where is the guardrail? I assume it is in a really cool spot that you chose so you could share it with other cachers. Fire away.

Come and find it and see.

Come and find it and see.

If it was in the Boston area I would add it to my list of caches to find when I am there the first week of April. It looks like a cool and well done cache. But why hide the final in a guardrail?

But why hide the final in a guardrail?

Because it was the best place to hide it given the location.

I chose this spot in the wally world parking lot because it was the best place to hide it given the location.

Good for you.

I don't have any Wally World hides and I don't care for them. My point is that you rail against micro hides yet you have at least two of your own and you don't seem to be willing to defend this one with anything better than "it was the best place to hide it given the location".

On the surface it seems like a crummy location. Why design and place a cool multi that ends in a lame guardrail final? That seems just a little bit lazy. Tell us all why we should spend the time, money and energy to trackdown the locations of your pictures just to be rewarded with a guardrail final.

In an effort to evoke a timely example of a real world situation in your neck of the woods, explain to us how you can build a career on being tough on certain business practices and then be found to be actively participating in those same practices? I am not asking you to resign.