the forest of dean

we are hoping to go caching in the forest of dean as we have heard there are some really nice caches .

What we after is a camp site we don`t need clubs and pubs and disco`s on site as we will be caching all day ,all we need is a nice small site with clean showers and toilets can any one out there give us some help in finding such a site many thanks

Bracelands is a super site and just what you require, the lower site is quieter and caters for all, tents, autohomes, and caravans. Also dogs are permitted on the lower one. Nice clean facilities also. Most resonable ad run by the forestry.

Not far from Symonds Yat. It is located at Map Ref: SO 570129. We use it all the time when we go cacching in the Forest. Be sure to do the Cathedral in the Forest!

we are hoping to go caching in the forest of dean as we have heard there are some really nice caches .

What we after is a camp site we don`t need clubs and pubs and disco`s on site as we will be caching all day ,all we need is a nice small site with clean showers and toilets can any one out there give us some help in finding such a site many thanks

G'Day! (yes we still spy on these forums now & again!)

Anyway, we know the ideal place as we had an ace weekend camping and caching in the Forest of Dean a couple of years ago. The campsite's called "Doward Park" and is a lovely quiet site surrounded by woodland with good clean amenities.

Link here: www.dowardpark.co.uk (N51°50.278' W002°39.400')

Here's a list of nearby caches

Either of the sites below should give you your answer. I've used the Christchurch one on Forest Holidays which was nice enough (at least I think it was that one). Either way, a good place to start.

http://www.visitforestofdean.co.uk/

http://www.forestholidays.co.uk/camping__c...st_of_dean.aspx

We stayed at one of the Forest Holidays sites last summer, can't remember which one. They're all next to each other, ours was the one with toilets but without playground. It was clean and quiet and we had some lovely walks in the woods. Unfortunately we started caching a month later so can't comment on the local caches.

If you're taking a caravan stick to the A roads, don't follow a Sat Nav or the AA route finder. We nearly got stuck and the site wardens were amazed we'd managed to get through the roads we were sent on!

If you're taking a caravan stick to the A roads, don't follow a Sat Nav or the AA route finder. We nearly got stuck and the site wardens were amazed we'd managed to get through the roads we were sent on!

I am surprised that you can get a caravan along some of the A roads in the Forest :rolleyes::D

(and watch out for the bear Ruardean Bears :) )

ayepee

Edited by ayepee

I am surprised that you can get a caravan along some of the A roads in the Forest B):rolleyes:

(and watch out for the bear Ruardean Bears B) )

ayepee

The A roads were fine, it was the unclassifieds near Symonds Yat and a really long narrow bridge that were the problem!!! And it was only our second time towing! :):D:D Oh well, no damage was done.

Whitemead and Bracelands are pretty big, but there are no pub/disco campsite anywhere in the area to my knowledge, as most people come here to go walking/Symonds Yat Rock/Tintern Abbey. Hopefully geocaching will show you a little bit more. :)

Most of the smaller sites won't have showers, but if you were prepared to sacrifice that I would recommend Cherry Orchard Farm, Newland. Lovely 12th Century pub near enough to walk to and you could even take in one or two of our caches on the way. :rolleyes:

Looking at the link for whitemead it does look lovely we just literally want somewhere to crash overnight as we plan on caching all day.We will need to stop at chelthanam as we our dropping our younger daughter of to stay with her sister who is at uni there.so will hopefully get some caches done around there as well :)

Whitemead and Bracelands are pretty big, but there are no pub/disco campsite anywhere in the area to my knowledge, as most people come here to go walking/Symonds Yat Rock/Tintern Abbey. Hopefully geocaching will show you a little bit more. :ph34r:

Most of the smaller sites won't have showers, but if you were prepared to sacrifice that I would recommend Cherry Orchard Farm, Newland. Lovely 12th Century pub near enough to walk to and you could even take in one or two of our caches on the way. :)

Haven't stayed in any of the campsites in the Forest of Dean as we live here but we'll second Cherry Orchard Farm Camp Site as it is quiet, there is a nearby pub, caches by SidAndBob within walking distance and caches by us not too far away. It's one of those lovely undiscovered bits on the edge of the Forest of Dean that you wouldn't automatically go to if it weren't for geocaching.

If you didn't want a camp site that was quite as basic then either Bracelands or Whitemead would be good.

Bracelands is a good site that has no clubs, shops or any of the other noise making stuff.

What it does have is clean flat camping ground that's perfect for tents. it's got clean toliets and showers.

Nice spot that many of my friends have camped at.

It's a few minutes away from The Speech House Hotel, that has an Obelisk across the road that marks the center of the forest.

Personally I camp in the woods, but that's not strictly leagal in the UK :unsure: