Should I buy a Colarado?

I am in the market for a new GPS I had a 60cx that I sold. When I heard Garmin was coming out with the Colarado I thought that was the way to go. In reading all the stuff on this site about them I am not sure now. I would like the opinions of those that have one. How easy is it to send info from GC.com, can I just click on the send to garmin icon and all the info comes over? Or do I have to send it to GSAK and then to the unit. Overall just info on what you think of the unit.

Thanks

The Goof Troop

In my mind it is the best single geocaching device that has been built. There are few bugs, but they are minor. It is leaps and bounds above the 60 series for Geocaching use.

You can "Send to GPS", or copy a GPX file to the unit's memory. Either way will work.

I am in the market for a new GPS I had a 60cx that I sold. When I heard Garmin was coming out with the Colarado I thought that was the way to go. In reading all the stuff on this site about them I am not sure now. I would like the opinions of those that have one. How easy is it to send info from GC.com, can I just click on the send to garmin icon and all the info comes over? Or do I have to send it to GSAK and then to the unit. Overall just info on what you think of the unit.

Thanks

The Goof Troop

Hi - Please read the postings titled "Obituary of a Garmin 400t,". In fact, I urge you to read all of the postings on this and other pages regarding the 400T. We cache every day, not periodically. This is not the best GPS out there, not by far. This device has *many* problems, that is why firmware updates have and continue to come out. Before dropping the $ out for this read the postings from everyone and decide what you can live with and why you should have to live with something you've spent so much money on! IMHO

I am by no means a periodic cacher.

I have owned several different GPS units.

I have dealt with "growing pains" before.

The Colorado is already a better GPS for caching than my 60CSx was IMHO

The Colorado will be a far superior GPS for caching when the shortcomings are fixed IMHO

I have yet to log a DNF as a result of any of the problems of the GPS

Is it frustrating that I can't do some of the things I was able to do with the 60CSx? Yes, for instance I really miss the ability to scroll to a place on the map and do a search near pointer.

Did it take a while to get use to a different way of caching? Yes, but so did the 60CS when it first came out. Come to think of it when I got my Vista it was a huge change over my e-trex yellow.

And they were all a tremendous change over my dad's GPS 89 that I first played with in 1997.

The OP asked for our opinion of the unit. My opinion is that it is and will be a great unit and several years from now when Garmin comes out with the New Jersey you will be seeing lots of cachers comparing the new unit to their trusty Colorados

Thanks

The Goof Troop

I did the same thing you did, sold my 60csx planned on buying a Colorado. Then after reading about the issues I decided to hold off. Got myself a used Magellan (just for a change) to tide me over till they get the Colorado bugs worked out. I figure sometime this summer I'll be purchasing my Colorado, and it might even be cheaper then.

So my suggestion would be to get a "bridge" unit till the Colorado is a little more refined.

I agree, this unit was released way too early. Granted, there are firmware bugs and lacking features but I'm confident Garmin will fix them. I bought a 400t last week and sent it back yesterday. It just frustrated me with freezes, lockups, not displaying geocaches (even garmin support couldn't get it to work), crappy 5-6 hour battery life on alkalines and the thing sucked up water like a sponge. Never ever have I had a Garmin unit pull water into the battery compartment like this thing. Don't believe me, then dunk yours in a sink for 5 mins like I did and see for yourself.

For the interim I have purchased the trusty eTrex Vista HCx and will enjoy that immensely. I'm sorry I sold my 60CSx to take a shot at the Colorado, but oh well. Hopefully the second generation will be much improved.

Edited by moonpup

I have nothing but good things to say about my colorado. I have none of the bugs that anyone is reporting, my first day out with the colorado was a thunderstorm and I didnt have a single problem with water leakage. I would say go ahead and get one. Think about all the colorados that have been sold, compared to this number the number of complaints is relatively small and growing smaller with the latest updates. Personally I think that it is a great unit, but as you can tell you will receive any different opinions here. The only advice that I have is to take the jump and if you get a defective unit work with Garmin to get a new one.

IMO the colorados are overkill as far as a GPS for geocahing. Sure the colorado will hold all the cache information, but you can get a cheap PDA or PPC from e-bay that will do the same.

The one thing the Colorado will do is give access to the Wherigo game. But Wherigo is not growing very fast. from my location there are three Wherigo cartridges and those are 140 miles away from me.

At $500-$600 and can think of better things to spend that much money on. In a couple of years as more verisions of the Colorada are released I am sure the prices will come down quite a bit.

Edit to add.

Or do I have to send it to GSAK and then to the unit

What is wrong will loading to GSAK first, I would not think of loading my GPS any other way, with GSAK I can delete caches with lots of DNFs. Or I can delete any types of caches I do not want to look for that day

Edited by JohnnyVegas

I love my Colorado 300. I did not buy it with any expectation that it would mimic the feature set of the 60CSX. I bought it for the added Geo features and the larger screen. New gadget and all.

I LOVE my unit and find it to be the best Geocaching unit I have ever used.

I own 6 other Garmin models and this is by far the best for Geocaching. All the issues I had have already been addressed and I am quite happy with the unit.

The only drawback seems to be a relatively high number of people that actually really got a defective unit. I've seen that in these forums and a few others. Must rely on Garmin if that happens to you.

IMO the colorados are overkill as far as a GPS for geocahing. Sure the colorado will hold all the cache information, but you can get a cheap PDA or PPC from e-bay that will do the same.

Yes, but... The point is NOT having to carry and load two units. This is an all in one. I feel no need to carry anything else.

PLUS, by having it all in one, it IS better. There are (currently) 5 different Geocache navigation screens making it really easy ro see the information and navigate at the same time. In addition, it interacts smoothly with Groundspeak making logging a much quicker and easier exercise.

I got my CO as soon as they came out, and I have loved it. It is awesome for everything I need one for, primarily geocaching, but also navigation and hunting. That helped justify getting such a great GPSr. Everything that I have seen on the forum has not deterred my enthusiasm at all. Garmin addressed many of the early problems, but I was using it successfully anyway, with some workarounds. If you have the money, my opinion is get it and learn and grow with it. Good luck! :rolleyes:

Yes, but... The point is NOT having to carry and load two units. This is an all in one. I feel no need to carry anything else.

I agree, plus for me ( and I assume others ) with two units it's a matter of remembering to bring the PDA with you. I don't know how many times I'd be looking for a cache and needed to look at the cache page/hint ... "Doh, forgot my PDA in the car!!!"

Definitely a great unit. I have had no serious problems with my 400t but do understand the frustration of those who have purchased lemons.

I love mine. I have many uses for it. I like the fitness feature because I regularly run and do trail runs. I'm looking into the biking features in the future. I use it to hike, auto navigate, and geocache. I like having all the cache info in one machine. I use to have a PDA but didn't carry it or left in the car a lot. Now I'm forced to carry the info with me if I'm geocaching. I like the bigger screen and I like the ergonomic fit in my hand. I like the picture viewer because I can load other map resources (as .jpg files) into the machine and also have them with me.

I sold my yellow etrex and my 60Csx and my z22. I am not having any problems with my 300. And I love only having to load data into ONE thing. And only having to remember to bring ONE thing. And not having to charge the z22 but just bring batteries. There are the few nits but if Garmin did not fix anything else on this unit I would be happy....... but they will and it will get better.

I decided to hang onto my 60Cx after reading the forums. My kids love geocaching too so an extra unit is alway welcome. I waited for the 2.4 firmware before taking the plunge and so far it's been a great unit. A bit of a learning curve but once you get used to where things are, it's easy to use. And it works as well in the left hand as the right.

I have a 76CSx and love it. At this point there several reasons for me not to get a Colorado:

It's too dang expensive. It should come down in price later.

Too many bugs at the moment.

I just purchased City Navigator for my 76CSx and Garmin would make me buy another freaking copy for the Colorado.

I also like the fact that I don't have to carry and load two units when I go Geocaching. The last Garmin update helped with a number of the issues that I saw right after I purchased my 300. It may not do things the 60s would do but it will do things that the 60s will never do. I own a couple of 60CSs that the grandkids use when they go geocaching with me and things for the most part work fine for us. I agree the 300 is a bit pricey but that is what happens when anything new comes out. I am sure they will come down in price someday just as others before the 300 have. I was concerned when I saw how many owners were having troubles but there were also those that reported theirs was not having any of those issues. A person could say this could be about the same as purchasing a new or replacement for your TV, VCR and other components and learning all over how to program the darn remote and we all know how frustrating that can be at times. Just try and get tech support from a remote control company sometime.

In simple terms, my answer is

NO

I've purchased a 400T today and after attempting of use it I found the for $599 it wasn't worth the headache.It is to dark, doesn't work properly, couldn't use NIMH batteries (turns itself off). So until Garmin fixes it, I'm sticking with my 60CSx.

Is it frustrating that I can't do some of the things I was able to do with the 60CSx? Yes, for instance I really miss the ability to scroll to a place on the map and do a search near pointer.

Did it take a while to get use to a different way of caching? Yes, but so did the 60CS when it first came out.

I really loved that feature. I wasn't aware the Colorado was missing that. Why, if more expensive and newer, would you not include those same great features along with the new stuff? I dont get it. Sucks for us. You think they can add that with new updates? That would be fantastic.

I have a 76CSx and love it. At this point there several reasons for me not to get a Colorado:

It's too dang expensive. It should come down in price later.

Too many bugs at the moment.

I just purchased City Navigator for my 76CSx and Garmin would make me buy another freaking copy for the Colorado.

I called Garmin today and they said you can use the software for two devices, meaning 2 unlocks.

And so far, I just purchased my 400t and have put my 60cx to the side for the moment. I upgraded my unit with the newest patch and set to go. Ive only played with it around the house and must say that the learning curve is much to my advantage compared to when I first got my 60cx. They took away the more useless, redundant buttons and give you 2 soft keys and a marvelous Rock 'n Roller. I remember reading an early negative review of the roller being too bulky and to stiff on turns, but its just right, in my opinion. It works great with the thumb action and just stiff enough so you dont pass the option you're looking for nor will it turn when it's rubbing on something.

So far I love the user friendly aspect of it and no shut downs as of yet. The Garmin tech told me to use more powerful batteries (2500mh+) to avoid the battery drain.

Now, im looking forward to a good weekend hike or bike ride sometime in the near future. Bring on SPRING!!!

:)

NO

doesn't work properly, couldn't use NIMH batteries (turns itself off). So until Garmin fixes it, I'm sticking with my 60CSx.

Also, rechargeable batteries lose their power capacity (dont charge as much, dont last as long) as they age.

For instance, if you put rechargeables in your remote control and not use the remote for 6 months, those batteries continue to drain, unlike Alkalines. Plus, recheargeables aren't made to pack that power (most average 1500-2000mAh)..... but you can now purchase some SANYOs that pack a good 2700mAh.

Give it a try guys.

Edited by DodgerBlues

NO

I've purchased a 400T today and after attempting of use it I found the for $599 it wasn't worth the headache.It is to dark, doesn't work properly, couldn't use NIMH batteries (turns itself off). So until Garmin fixes it, I'm sticking with my 60CSx.

Weird. All i use is NIMH batteries in mine and my screen is only dark without the backlighting turned up at night.

I've had mine now for over month and the more I use it the more it like it. The learning curve was steep, but with the exception of a hiccup now and then it is a very good unit as is. With a bit of time (remember when the 60's and 76 series came out?) and some tweaking of the software it will be the go to unit.

I think the biggest issue with the new Garmin is the Human interface. Many folks think it is supposed to be a souped up version of a 60 or 76, but it is not. It is a different animal all together and requires quite a bit of adjustment on the users part to learn the different things that it does.

Take a look at the Profiles part of the new Colorado. I think we have only scratched the surface here and as we learn and use the new unit, and Garmin brings out further updates we will realize the full potential it really has.