My Find PQ every 6.5 days please

SPonGER

I'm pretty sure many members would like to run the My Finds PQ every sunday evening or monday morning after their weekend caching trip. But due to the 7-days-rule -- or more precisely the 604800-seconds-rule -- the point in time when you're able to do this gets later and later every week.

I understand that Groundspeak doesn't want to send My Finds PQs automatically, but maybe it is possible to relax the time restriction to 6 or 6.5 days? Or maybe to allow to run this PQ on the same day the next week? I don't think that would increase the server load to much ...

Thanx,

SPonGER

Concur!!!! Understand the reasoning is that this is a real memory hog for the servers so only active users should request it as needed. Am not advocating any automatic PQ here!! But my PQ keeps advancing down the calendar. Suggest you make it "runable" anytime on the same day of the following week. So if you ask for it at 9:00 pm this time, you can ask for it a week later at 10:00 am.

I agree that it would be handy to allow it to run any time on the same day of the week that it ran last time, rather than 7 days down to the minute.

For now, my solution is just to skip a week every so often and run it early the next time. Also, if I know I'll be making a big weekend run, I'll hold off on downloading the query for a few days so that I can run it as soon as possible when I finish logging my finds. Usually that means that I'm caught up on logging by Tuesday, and can download the query and play with the data on Tuesday night.

I'm pretty sure many members would like to run the My Finds PQ every sunday evening or monday morning after their weekend caching trip. But due to the 7-days-rule -- or more precisely the 604800-seconds-rule -- the point in time when you're able to do this gets later and later every week.

I understand that Groundspeak doesn't want to send My Finds PQs automatically, but maybe it is possible to relax the time restriction to 6 or 6.5 days? Or maybe to allow to run this PQ on the same day the next week? I don't think that would increase the server load to much ...

You have to wait 7 days so that they never have higher priority than scheduled 'regular' PQs. If you take a quick look at Kit Fox's thread, you will see that people get pretty upset if their regularly-scheduled PQs are delayed for any time at all. Edited by sbell111

I actually mentioned this once to Jeremy myself. I mentioned the "All Finds Creep", as I called it. He did understand what I was talking about, but it was sort of mentioned in passing. It would be nice if it was every 6 days so you could run it every Sunday, for example. Maybe this topic will nudge that along a bit.

As one who was on a mission to find a cache every day for a while, I understand how that regular pocket query coming in on a Saturday or Sunday can be nice. It is great for those who use INATN.

Hi all. Just want to add my comment hoping that enough requests would result in a change. I also would like to be able to run the My Finds each week on the same day without the time-of-day restiction. I had been doing them first thing Monday morning. But two weeks ago, I was busy and couldn't get to the computer. Now I can't run my My Finds until 8:30pm. Soon, I will have to push it to Tuesday. Like someone else mentioned, I will probably skip a week sometime in the next month or so to get it back to Monday.

Craig

C&S 143

The only time I was really counting the days was when one of the My Finds PQs was delivered with a corrupted .zip file. Other then that, I actually have to remember to check to see when I last ran it and update as needed. I currently only use mine to update INATN and the stats info on my profile page.

I guess I just don't understand the utility of having an absolutely up-to-date my finds PQ.

If I want to get mine, I push the button and it shows up a few minutes later.

I agree. I keep all my data in GSAK. After I find a cache, I move it to the "Found" database in GSAK. There is a great GSAK Macro that creates Statistics from a .gpx file, if you are really into that.

The last time I tried to get the "All Finds" PQ over my slow dialup connection, it bombed out my ISP's server, after which all email from all Groundspeak domains was blocked. Having to take my laptop into town to a WiFi HotSpot to get that file every six and a half days is just not in my schedule. Also, because of my slow dialup connection, I could never get INATN site to work, so I never tried it again.

Until TPTB change the way the "All Finds" PQ works, that GSAK Macro creates some very pretty Stats . . . . :laughing:

I guess I just don't understand the utility of having an absolutely up-to-date my finds PQ.

I run it sporadically - maybe 1 or 2 times per month. I too have a hard time understanding why anybody's stat page needs to be 100% inclusive each week. Just put a date on it that indicates it was current through xx/xx/xxxx.

I run it sporadically - maybe 1 or 2 times per month. I too have a hard time understanding why anybody's stat page needs to be 100% inclusive each week. Just put a date on it that indicates it was current through xx/xx/xxxx.

I agree I do mine maybe once a month :laughing:

In my opinion, "I don't need it" or even "I can't understand people that want it" is never a convincing argument against a feature.

As long as there are people that want it - and there are obviously some - it should be considered, right? For the users, I can't see any disadvantages of a relaxed timing restriction. For Groundspeak, there is of course some effort for the reconfiguration, but normally that shouldn't be too complicated, and of course a slightly higher load on the servers which I cannot size up.

So I can only hope that Groundspeak is so kind and makes some users happy :-)

Thanks,

SPonGER

In my opinion, "I don't need it" or even "I can't understand people that want it" is never a convincing argument against a feature.
Then why is 'I want it' a compelling reason? Perhaps someone could explain why it is important to get this file more often.
As long as there are people that want it - and there are obviously some - it should be considered, right? For the users, I can't see any disadvantages of a relaxed timing restriction. ...
I guess that you missed post five.
Then why is 'I want it' a compelling reason?

The reason would be to offer continuous improvement by providing a simple requested feature, but not necessarily something that everyone would need or use.

Perhaps someone could explain why it is important to get this file more often.

This has been explained quite well. It's not really more often, but to avoid creep. Another way of avoiding creep would be for the system to automatically execute these queries at a fixed, user selectable time once a week.

This is a service we all pay for. As any other such service, I expect the supplier to have the capacity to handle the normal demand 7 days a week. I'd rather see the number of PQ's slightly reduced rather than have a system that couldn't sustain the My Finds query every 6.5 days. However, I suspect the system is already underrated for the services sold if you believe a change from 7 to 6.5 days is going to make a difference.

You missed post six.

I would be against this being put on automatic though. You need to push the button if you are going to do something with it. There for a while, I was getting it every week. Lately, I've been getting it once a month or less. No need to waste the server time if you are not going to do something with the data.

You missed post six.

I would be against this being put on automatic though. You need to push the button if you are going to do something with it. There for a while, I was getting it every week. Lately, I've been getting it once a month or less. No need to waste the server time if you are not going to do something with the data.

I didn't miss it, I just didn't understand it and wasn't sure if it related at all to my post.

I didn't ask for clarification because I didn't want you to know that I was dense. Now everybody knows...

... It's not really more often, but to avoid creep. Another way of avoiding creep would be for the system to automatically execute these queries at a fixed, user selectable time once a week.
Due to prioritization of PQs, the issue of creep is inherent to the system. As discussed in Kit Fox's thread, all PQs have creep. My semiweekly PQs typically hit my inbox a few minutes later each time they are run. The same would happen to a scheduled 'my finds' PQ, only the creep would be more pronounced as these PQs would no doubt have to have the lowest priority so they didn't cause inconvenience for those people who are waiting for a PQ that they will actually use to find caches (again, please see Kit Fox's thread). This new prioritization would inconvenience those people who simply run ad hoc 'my finds' PQs. They would have to wait all day for their requested files, rather than just a minute or two, as they now do.
This is a service we all pay for. As any other such service, I expect the supplier to have the capacity to handle the normal demand 7 days a week. I'd rather see the number of PQ's slightly reduced rather than have a system that couldn't sustain the My Finds query every 6.5 days. However, I suspect the system is already underrated for the services sold if you believe a change from 7 to 6.5 days is going to make a difference.
My referenced post referred to creep, not capacity issues.

Until we see a return of the threads that state that PQs haven't been running and TPTB make us all reselect the days of the week that we want our PQs, I don't believe that there is evidence to support the contention that capacity doesn't exist. The very fact that you can receive a 'my finds' PQ with in a few minutes of requesting it suggests that there is not a capacity problem. We are actually receiving the exact level of service that we were promised.

You missed post six.

I didn't miss it, I just didn't understand it and wasn't sure if it related at all to my post.

I didn't ask for clarification because I didn't want you to know that I was dense. Now everybody knows...

I wasn't meant to imply that you were dense in the least. I (and others) know you better than that.

Do understand that by "creep", I mean that we like to manage our account information on a certain day. I like to do it on the weekends. With it being exactly 7 days, I have to watch the time each weekend and hit it at the right time. If not, it slides slowly but most assuredly into Monday, and then I end up slipping and slipping since I am busy during the week. I worry about when I can push the button, not how long it takes for the PQ to get to me after I push it. It always comes in right away anyway it seems.

For those actively going for such things as DeLorme Challenges or caches-every-day for some time period like I was, that slide into a time that I am too busy to manage my account causes me grief. I posed that problem to Jeremy and he understood where I was coming from, though it wasn't something written down. He has most likely forgotten about the request by now I'm sure. It may be something that has to wait until Version 2 of the site though.

I do totally agree with you and others that we don't need to stress the server with this being an automatic thing. If you need it, push the button. If you don't, let the PQ server process other requests. Mine is never a big file though. With 2,200+ finds, it is about 1.5 MB. My 500 PQ requests typically are 2.5 MB. With people running 5 of those every day 7 days a week, the load from the All Finds PQ is nothing when compared to standard PQ's. My guess is that shaving off a day should not hurt.

You missed post six.

I wasn't meant to imply that you were dense in the least. I (and others) know you better than that.

Do understand that by "creep", I mean that we like to manage our account information on a certain day. I like to do it on the weekends. With it being exactly 7 days, I have to watch the time each weekend and hit it at the right time. If not, it slides slowly but most assuredly into Monday, and then I end up slipping and slipping since I am busy during the week. I worry about when I can push the button, not how long it takes for the PQ to get to me after I push it. It always comes in right away anyway it seems.

For those actively going for such things as DeLorme Challenges or caches-every-day for some time period like I was, that slide into a time that I am too busy to manage my account causes me grief. I posed that problem to Jeremy and he understood where I was coming from, though it wasn't something written down. He has most likely forgotten about the request by now I'm sure. It may be something that has to wait until Version 2 of the site though.

I do totally agree with you and others that we don't need to stress the server with this being an automatic thing. If you need it, push the button. If you don't, let the PQ server process other requests. Mine is never a big file though. With 2,200+ finds, it is about 1.5 MB. My 500 PQ requests typically are 2.5 MB. With people running 5 of those every day 7 days a week, the load from the All Finds PQ is nothing when compared to standard PQ's. My guess is that shaving off a day should not hurt.

It sounds like even if they only shaved off a few minutes that it would resolve your issue. They would only have to shave off the average time it takes for the query to run to allow you to push the button at the same time every week.

I wonder what this would do to it's priority. I guess that it would be right in front of people's weekly PQs, depending on the time of day that the 'my finds' PQ was originally run compared to the last time that the 'regular' weekly PQ ran.

BTW, I don't think that you were trying to show that I was dense. I gave that tidbit away all by myself.

Edited by sbell111

Shaving off a few minutes means I still have to watch the clock. I want to do it any time on Sunday, depending on when I want to go to church, walk the dog, go out to eat with my wife, mow the grass, or whatever. I have enough of a schedule to deal with during the week. One Sunday I might want to do it at 10 PM at night. The next one I might want to do it at 7 AM.

You can add me to the "it isn't all that useful to me" group but, having said that, I think it's a great idea. Being able to run the query on the same day each week - at any time on that day - doesn't seem like an unreasonable request at all. It's apparent that quite a few folks would benefit by such functionality and it really shouldn't be a big deal to implement.

Shaving off a few minutes means I still have to watch the clock. I want to do it any time on Sunday, depending on when I want to go to church, walk the dog, go out to eat with my wife, mow the grass, or whatever. I have enough of a schedule to deal with during the week. One Sunday I might want to do it at 10 PM at night. The next one I might want to do it at 7 AM.

So basically, it should be set up with a 6-day delay, instead of seven. I have no real issues with that, but I think that it should be given a priority that is lower than that of regular PQs.
So basically, it should be set up with a 6-day delay, instead of seven. I have no real issues with that, <snip>

Yes, that is what is being asked.

but I think that it should be given a priority that is lower than that of regular PQs.

I totally agree with that 100 percent. Cachers should come before those managing data in my opinion too.

Instead of changing the time in which the full My Finds PQ gets run, I have a PQ set up called Finds. It has the That I Found, and the Updated within the last 7 days in it. That way, I Can update my GSAK Finds DB. I know this is a work-around, but it works. Of course, if I go on a trip or caching outside of a certain area, I can either adjust it for where the finds Roughly were, or just get the My Finds PQ...

The Steaks

"Smarter not Harder!"

Instead of changing the time in which the full My Finds PQ gets run, I have a PQ set up called Finds. It has the That I Found, and the Updated within the last 7 days in it. That way, I Can update my GSAK Finds DB. I know this is a work-around, but it works. Of course, if I go on a trip or caching outside of a certain area, I can either adjust it for where the finds Roughly were, or just get the My Finds PQ...

I'm glad this works for you, but there are others of us that like to use It's Not About the Numbers and other things that require the format that the My Finds PQ is in. And, yours won't contain waypoints that have been archived in that 7 day period and the My Finds PQ will.

Just wanted to chime in that:

1) I like the idea

2) I agree with the people who are saying that there is no reason for people to say "don't add the feature because I won't use it". I've stated this on several other threads - just because you wouldn't use it doesn't mean we shouldn't have it available for the people that would use it.

1) I like the idea

2) I agree with the people who are saying that there is no reason for people to say "don't add the feature because I won't use it". I've stated this on several other threads - just because you wouldn't use it doesn't mean we shouldn't have it available for the people that would use it.

I would never use it.

I think it's a good idea.

I'm glad this works for you, but there are others of us that like to use It's Not About the Numbers and other things that require the format that the My Finds PQ is in. And, yours won't contain waypoints that have been archived in that 7 day period and the My Finds PQ will.

Yea, you are right about the ones that have been archived, but I don't hope to find a cache and then it get archived within a couple weeks. Now, If I find a cache... then a few months(or years) later, those won't be in there, but they'll already be in my database. Of course, I alternate the PQ with the My Finds PQ. Just throwing the idea out there...

The Steaks

I think the reason for this post is we use tools to analyze our finds and like to update our profiles with that information each week. I think I started this on a Saturday, and I've been bumped back to Monday morning. Changing it to 6.5 days would allow us the same window every Sunday or Monday or whenever we like to do it to hit the button and get the data.

So, I agree that havign it at 6.5 days would be great and VERY useful for many cachers schedules. But I like to keep it they way it is, having to press the button when I want it. If I don't happen to need the file emailed to me that week, I don't necessarily want it.

Bump it to 6.5 days and a LOT of cachers, including me, will be happy.

Kojones

I seem to be missing something here. Bumping back the timeframe doesn't stop the creep. The only people that will benefit will be the ones who will check their finds every 7 days, but you you can be as sure as nature puts out green apples, someone will complain about not being able to get their finds pq AT 6.5 days exactly because of the creep.

-=-=Edited to add=-=-

I started thinking about this and I know the clock is set by the number of seconds. As long as there is an upgrade that's going to happen with this site anyway, why not make it work by the hours instead (e.g. 00:01-23:59)? That way, you can have the clock reset at exactly at the end of 6 days and on the 7th day anytime, you can pull your updated query.

Edited by TotemLake

I seem to be missing something here. Bumping back the timeframe doesn't stop the creep. The only people that will benefit will be the ones who will check their finds every 7 days, but you you can be as sure as nature puts out green apples, someone will complain about not being able to get their finds pq AT 6.5 days exactly because of the creep.

Sorry, I don't agree to that. You can derive from most of the previous posts and many statistics that a majority of people go caching on weekends and want to have their PQs on sunday evening or monday morning - i.e. on a weekly basis. So i think that there is some sort of natural weekly rhythm that we just want to follow.

Sorry, I don't agree to that. You can derive from most of the previous posts and many statistics that a majority of people go caching on weekends and want to have their PQs on sunday evening or monday morning - i.e. on a weekly basis. So i think that there is some sort of natural weekly rhythm that we just want to follow.

You limited your perception to inside the box. There ARE a lot of people whom are retired or have irregular days off that caching is not limited to the weekends. You can derive from these posts your assumption because of CURRENT limitations. Bump those limitations back and people will take advantage of that bump back and then complain of the creep as I purposed in my statement.

TotemLake, this is exactly what I was thinking. Someone needs to explain the new math to me that would explain how 6.5 days wouldn't produce the same complaints as now. ??

TotemLake, this is exactly what I was thinking. Someone needs to explain the new math to me that would explain how 6.5 days wouldn't produce the same complaints as now. ??

"6.5 days" was just thrown out there so that people who want them every 7 days can get them every 7 days, rather than the current "7 days plus 1 second", which causes the unwanted creep.

But better than a "6.5 day" solution would be the "7 days by calendar day" solution -- i.e., counting by date but not counting down to the hour/minute/second -- which has been recommended by a few other people in a few other threads similar to this one.

That way, if you ask for a "My Finds" PQ on March 1, you can ask for it again on March 8th -- regardless of the time of day that either request was sent.

1) I like the idea

I would never use it.

I think it's a good idea.

I would never use it but I can see some people wanting to setup an automatic PQ once a week for it.

I think the reason for this post is we use tools to analyze our finds and like to update our profiles with that information each week. I think I started this on a Saturday, and I've been bumped back to Monday morning. Changing it to 6.5 days would allow us the same window every Sunday or Monday or whenever we like to do it to hit the button and get the data.

So, I agree that havign it at 6.5 days would be great and VERY useful for many cachers schedules. But I like to keep it they way it is, having to press the button when I want it. If I don't happen to need the file emailed to me that week, I don't necessarily want it.

Bump it to 6.5 days and a LOT of cachers, including me, will be happy.

Kojones

Would it hurt to skip a week every once and a while to get back on the day you want to update your stats? I guess what some people have trouble is understanding this overwhelming need to calculate you INATN or other statistics every week. If you really wanted your statistics up to date wouldn't you need to be able to run your My Finds query everyday - or perhaps even several times a day?

I have no objection to changing the method for computing when you can run the My Finds query under the covers. Basically the site would still say the My Finds query can only be run once every seven days. However instead of checking that is 10,080 minutes since it last ran would check that it is 9,360 minutes or 8,640 minutes. Or the system could treat the My Finds as alway running at 12:01 AM Pacific time on the day that it ran. So you can run it once a week when that day of the week begins in Seattle.

"6.5 days" was just thrown out there so that people who want them every 7 days can get them every 7 days, rather than the current "7 days plus 1 second", which causes the unwanted creep.

But better than a "6.5 day" solution would be the "7 days by calendar day" solution -- i.e., counting by date but not counting down to the hour/minute/second -- which has been recommended by a few other people in a few other threads similar to this one.

That way, if you ask for a "My Finds" PQ on March 1, you can ask for it again on March 8th -- regardless of the time of day that either request was sent.

Similar thinking to the rest of my post which is the second half of the above.

-=-=Edited to add=-=-

I started thinking about this and I know the clock is set by the number of seconds. As long as there is an upgrade that's going to happen with this site anyway, why not make it work by the hours instead (e.g. 00:01-23:59)? That way, you can have the clock reset at exactly at the end of 6 days and on the 7th day anytime, you can pull your updated query.

You limited your perception to inside the box. There ARE a lot of people whom are retired or have irregular days off that caching is not limited to the weekends. You can derive from these posts your assumption because of CURRENT limitations. Bump those limitations back and people will take advantage of that bump back and then complain of the creep as I purposed in my statement.

Interesting theory, but you fail to use any logic in it. "limitation" will affect anyone who wants their my finds more frequently than they can get them. "Creep" only affects those who want them on a specific cycle. It would be the rare bird indeed who says, "I want my finds exactly one day earlier each week." The "every six day" would satisfy those who want to do them on a generally accepted schedule. Someone who wants them every day or every other day will be no worse off.

(I love seeing my stats in nice graphs using the GSAK macro, but I still only update once or twice a month. Still, I agree that if the every six day fix would make a lot of folks happy, it should be considered)

Interesting theory, but you fail to use any logic in it. "limitation" will affect anyone who wants their my finds more frequently than they can get them. "Creep" only affects those who want them on a specific cycle. It would be the rare bird indeed who says, "I want my finds exactly one day earlier each week." The "every six day" would satisfy those who want to do them on a generally accepted schedule. Someone who wants them every day or every other day will be no worse off.

(I love seeing my stats in nice graphs using the GSAK macro, but I still only update once or twice a month. Still, I agree that if the every six day fix would make a lot of folks happy, it should be considered)

That's a strawman's argument and doesn't hold water. That limitation and creep is already affecting people right now thus the OP's complaint. Observation of human nature particularly when it involves this site and the features already provided, dictates that same problem will exist at 6.5 days versus 7 days if it uses the same algorithym used today.

Furthermore, simple observation of the threads in this particular forum has shown that every feature provided by this site has come up with more gripes that it isn't enough and more requests and even demands to do something about it.

I'll stand by this... If this gets pushed back to 6.5 days using the same algorithym in use today, we'll see this same gripe come up sometime by late summer if not sooner.

Edited by TotemLake

I'll stand by this... If this gets pushed back to 6.5 days using the same algorithym in use today, we'll see this same gripe come up sometime by late summer if not sooner.

In the theoretical world in which you apparently live this might be correct. In the real world you're dead wrong on this one. I think that while you have a fair grasp of some broad principles, your understanding of human nature is off the mark. But that's what makes "people watching" (and poker) so much fun. It's not an exact science. The formulas don't always work the way they should. I'd love to see this theory tested, even if I find out I'm wrong!

In the theoretical world in which you apparently live this might be correct. In the real world you're dead wrong on this one. I think that while you have a fair grasp of some broad principles, your understanding of human nature is off the mark. But that's what makes "people watching" (and poker) so much fun. It's not an exact science. The formulas don't always work the way they should. I'd love to see this theory tested, even if I find out I'm wrong!

No, in the real world, he is right. It is human nature. Anyone who has been in these forums for a while knows he is right.

Right now I think there is a sound argument for changing it to 6 days (not even 6.5, which still leaves room for weekly creep). The difference I see is that the argument would no longer be about creep, but convenience. I support the 6 day timetable because I have experienced the issue first hand. If changed, I could easily defeat the argument for making it less time.

At this point, there is nothing I can do regarding the issue created by the 7 day time period. With the 7 day time table, heaven forbid that I actually plan something to where I am away from my computer at the time the PQ goes to 7 days and 1 minute. With 6 days, if I forget, it is 100 percent my fault that the PQ begins to creep. It would not be the site's fault. Personal responsibility comes into play a whole lot more with the 6 day timetable.

Im all for the 6 day setting instead of 7, We used to change our profile every week, like good little robots, but now, its when we have time or after a big cache run, I don't hurry and log all the caches we did on Sun Night just to see our new profile page on Monday moring. ( There is something you can chat about by the watercooler)

Just change it to 6 days and everyone will be happy and peace will be restored

Barry of sweetlife

No, in the real world, he is right. It is human nature. Anyone who has been in these forums for a while knows he is right.

Right now I think there is a sound argument for changing it to 6 days (not even 6.5, which still leaves room for weekly creep). The difference I see is that the argument would no longer be about creep, but convenience. I support the 6 day timetable because I have experienced the issue first hand. If changed, I could easily defeat the argument for making it less time.

At this point, there is nothing I can do regarding the issue created by the 7 day time period. With the 7 day time table, heaven forbid that I actually plan something to where I am away from my computer at the time the PQ goes to 7 days and 1 minute. With 6 days, if I forget, it is 100 percent my fault that the PQ begins to creep. It would not be the site's fault. Personal responsibility comes into play a whole lot more with the 6 day timetable.

let's go then! I'm betting the pot on my hand! How will we know who wins? One thing, though. I'm not denying that it is human nature to complain, I'm saying that this PARTICULAR issue (being able to get PQ's on a certain schedule) would be resolved. You seem to agree with me on that. I said in my response that those who want it every day would not be affected one way or the other.