The State of Geocaching

DavidTO

...We have some like that too and I agree that 100 feet apart is stupid. Many times I've found all the GCs in an area and a new TC in that area gives me a little extra motivation to revisit that cool area. Anyhow, my point is that most TCs are no better/worse than traditionist GC caches, but for me they are a lot better than GC "numbers" caches.

100' can make all the difference and can spawn a non GC.cache because of a better location. Maybe it's rare but it's not unheard of.
This is true. Most of the TCs and GCs that I have seen that are close together aren't like that. However, your point does make you wonder how the GC hider missed the better spot 100 feet away. "Haste makes waste" probably applies... :rolleyes:
Still even in areas with a high density of urban micros, you can find hiders that spend time selecting a nicer location - a local park, a plaza with a fountain or sculpture, an historic area - or perhaps they camouflage or hide the cache in some creative way so that you don't mind that its in the Wal*Mart parking lot. The issue for "traditionalists" should be how to select these urban hides from all those that they think are lame.

I think that is the issue with most of those "traditionalists".

Still even in areas with a high density of urban micros, you can find hiders that spend time selecting a nicer location - a local park, a plaza with a fountain or sculpture, an historic area - or perhaps they camouflage or hide the cache in some creative way so that you don't mind that its in the Wal*Mart parking lot. The issue for "traditionalists" should be how to select these urban hides from all those that they think are lame.

I think that is the issue with most of those "traditionalists".

It is with me. I'm going to avoid urban caching until the site comes up with an easy effective way to do that. I'm tired of wasting my time doing it. It's more efficient just to ignore them all and head out to the green spots where the percentage of traditionalist caches is much higher. When I do encounter a non-tradionalist cache while hiking I'll just walk by it. :rolleyes:

I guess for now, for better or worse, THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN! Caching in the Wally World parking lot is more popular. We'll see what the future brings.

I don't look at it this way. There is room for many types of caches and what is probably need are better methods to filter hides so that people have a higher chance of enjoying the caches they do go looking for. The initial adopters of geocaching were people who already had a GPS. These tended to be hikers, hunters, mountain bikers, 4x4 owners, i.e., people already were involved in other outdoor activities. As a result most early caches were hidden off-the-beaten-path. Even so, some people found that you could hide a cache in a local urban park or even at a strip mall. As geocaching grew, it began to attract more of what I call "urban" cachers. For them the idea of finding hidden boxes became primary. Geocaching was no longer something do while on your hike or bike ride. It was now a activity that you would just do. More urban caches were hidden and a higher pecentage of these were park 'n grabs.

I don't look at it this way either, regarding "THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN! Caching in the Wally World parking lot is more popular", but for different reason.

Say a noob from a suburban area came along in the middle of 2007, does a zip code search, and see's that half the caches in their zip code are micros in strip mall parking lots, on roadside guardrails and attached to the dumpster out back of 7-11 (Sorry, couldn't resist that last example :)). What are they going to think? Those are just the type of locations where 1/2 of geocaches are located. They're not going to do a complex analysis of all the caches in the area, and notice that the ones from 2002 or 2003 are all larger containers in nice locations in the local large County Park.

Next thing you know after finding film canisters in parking lots all over town, immitation becomes the most sincere form of flattery, and they go and hide their first cache in the Target parking lot (because all the Wally World parking lots were taken by 2006 :rolleyes:). All the while probably not even realizing there are "Traditionalists" out there.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

paleolith has recently hidden the Santa Monica Mtns History Adventure (GC18DXW) a challenge cache where you must first find 62 out of the 64 oldest active caches in the Santa Monica Mountains. This list would certainly count as some of the classic caches in your area. Not all are hiking caches, though most are, including a couple of 4.5 star terrain ones.

Slightly OT: is the best way to get these caches into my Colorado to send them one by one? How do I use a bookmarked list most efficiently?

I think that you can send upload a pocket query to the Colorado without any alteration. That would be the easiest method.

paleolith has recently hidden the Santa Monica Mtns History Adventure (GC18DXW) a challenge cache where you must first find 62 out of the 64 oldest active caches in the Santa Monica Mountains. This list would certainly count as some of the classic caches in your area. Not all are hiking caches, though most are, including a couple of 4.5 star terrain ones.

Slightly OT: is the best way to get these caches into my Colorado to send them one by one? How do I use a bookmarked list most efficiently?

I think that you can send upload a pocket query to the Colorado without any alteration. That would be the easiest method.

But how do you PQ a Bookmark List?

But how do you PQ a Bookmark List?

Click on the button at the bottom of the bookmark page that says Create Pocket Query? :rolleyes: