Which unit? Prefer accuracy over other features.

jolandy

So after a weekend of DNFs and a month of hand programming becuase my new computer doesn't have a serial port I have had enough of my very old, non WAAS Garmin Etrex.

I've looked at the new models out there and I'm sure they are all a huge upgrade over mine but they are full of route finding, pretty maps etc etc.

If my priority is caching and being dropped as close to a cache as possible even in bad coverage areas (lots of trees here in the Pacific Northwest and they are all growing new leave right now) which unit should I go for?

Edited by jolandy

Thanks for that recommendation.

I would also like consistency... one problem i get right now is that I end up pacing about in multiple directions... first it drops me in one place then next time i look down I am apparently 25 feet away so I try an approach from a different direction and I get dropped 30 feet away and then suddenly THAT ground zero is not the right place.

Edited by jolandy

Thanks for that recommendation.

I would also like consistency... one problem i get right now is that I end up pacing about in multiple directions... first it drops me in one place then next time i look down I am apparently 25 feet away so I try an approach from a different direction and I get dropped 30 feet away and then suddenly THAT ground zero is not the right place.

Jolandy, I am currently using a Garmin Vista Hcx. I have consistently gotten within 6 to 10 feet of every cache found. I consider that to be absolutely incredible, considering that many who place cache's don't necessarily spend the time to average their position in order to get the seeker in closer.

I've heard great things about the Colorado class Garmins, however the did and/or do have some initial bugs that are being worked out. If you're not looking to spend the kind of $$$ necessary to get a Colorado, but want to get in close, take a close peak at the Garmin Vista HCx.

Also, be sure to go to Garmins Product page where you can draw comparisons of other Garmin units.

As an aside, I initially purchased a Magellan Triton 400. In less than 24 hours I returned it for too many reasons to list here. It's in another post somewhere on here.

Hope this helps.

G

I currently own and use two gps(s) Etrex Vista- not color or sensetive (old school) (havent updated software/firmware~not going to), i have had this gps since 2003 or 2004. and the other i bought 2 weeks ago, Map60CX.

so Vista Vs Map60CX.

Etrex Vista-longer to start up

-longer to lock on

-weaker singal, needs a clear view of sky

-eats batteries for breakfast and again for lunch :P

+ doesnt jump as much when getting close to target, cache etc.

+highly accurate when stationary. I've seen the accuracy field get to 4 feet to many times to count, not distance to target, but accuracy field. :D

+smaller in size

Map60CX+ultra fast start up

+ultra fast lock on

+amazingly strong signal, like no other I've seen :laughing:

+color screen

- not so stable when getting close to target, jumpy within about 12 feet maybe 10, pace back and forth

- not so accurate field, think i have seen it get to 9 feet twice in the time i have owned it (2 weeks)

- bigger in size

with that said. Im going back on forth on returning the Map60CX. The color is awesome, along with fast start, lock on, and signal strength. However there is just something about it that makes me say "Ok wheres my Vista". The buttons, how it feels in hand while Naving, and size just isnt there for me with the 60CX

Im a infantry man and have been using a GPS(s) since 1991ish. I do use them for navigation purposes, infact I just used both on a land nav course last friday. And im a new geocacher also (love treasure hunts, especially when you can call quits anytime you want).

I was stationed in Ft. Lewis for over 6 years, you are going to need a GPS that can lock on to and hold a signal up there in the North West. Ive heard amazing things about the Vista HCX~ better battery life, faster lock on and stronger signal, and color over the regular Etrex vista. This is what I'm looking at when the 60CX goes back.

Is it raining up there ?? just kidding.~old joke.

V/R, Redout

"come out of your comfort zone, you'll be surprised at what you can do"

Edited by redout