Daylight Saving Time

Hey,

I noticed that my Explorist didn't automatically "leap forward" this weekend. Accurate time, from what I've read is the heart of the GPS system. Does the GPS constellation observe DST?

The constellation does not. Most people in the world do not observe DST and the Northern and Southern hemispheres are reversed in observation in any case. You might need a firmware upgrade to get the new dates into your gps.

Hey,

I noticed that my Explorist didn't automatically "leap forward" this weekend. Accurate time, from what I've read is the heart of the GPS system. Does the GPS constellation observe DST?

The constellation does not. Most people in the world do not observe DST and the Northern and Southern hemispheres are reversed in observation in any case. You might need a firmware upgrade to get the new dates into your gps.

Just to add to that, a lot of people think that these things receive information such as that from the sats. They don't. It is the firmware in the unit that corrects for local time as well as DST.

The eXplorists default to the standard DST rules. We in the US changed from the standard dates in 2007 (start earlier, end later, extending the period of DST.) Setup gives you 4 choices: USA, European Union , Custom, or Disable. Choose Custom and change the dates for the start and end of DST. Some States do not observe DST such as Hawaii and Arizona. I like the flexibility of DST/Standard time settings in the eXplorists.

Also, your track logs remain in UTC. So, if you are using your tracks in programs to geotag your photos, such as GPicSync or ClaudeGPS2KML, change the offset in the program (here in California, I changed from -8 to -7 in these programs Sunday.) Do not forget to change the time in your digital camera to local time.