Placing Caches in very public places

burgessfour

Hi there,

I am fairly new to this. We found a cache yesterday that was right by a library and just off a jogging/biking trail. We tried to act nonchalont about it but with a nine year old girl all excited I don't think we passed it off. I feel bad that other people were around, but people would always be there except maybe at night. Should we have not opened it? We live close so I might go by and glance to be sure it's still there.

Anyway, any advice on this or muggles in general would be helpful.

Thank you.

My general advice is to boldly go over find the cache - sign the log - do any trading and replace it. Act as though you are 100% confident in knowing what you are doing and why. Stealthy behavior attracts attention. Behave as though you are doing nothing wrong (mostly because you are not and shouldn't be while Geocaching). This tactic is so successful because you will be ignored by most folks. Carry a clipboard and look official.

I figure the cache hider wasn't too worried about muggles or would not have used the location. So why should I worry overtly about it.

My general advice is to boldly go over find the cache - sign the log - do any trading and replace it. Act as though you are 100% confident in knowing what you are doing and why. Stealthy behavior attracts attention. Behave as though you are doing nothing wrong (mostly because you are not and shouldn't be while Geocaching). This tactic is so successful because you will be ignored by most folks. Carry a clipboard and look official.

I figure the cache hider wasn't too worried about muggles or would not have used the location. So why should I worry overtly about it.

The clipboord is a great idea, thanks!

You were probably just fine. I've learned that most people are too busy worrying about what people may think of them to wonder what other people are doing--unless you act too suspicous!

Kids make great caching partners. Most people don't give much thought to a child that gets excited about something or another, because kids so often do get excited about all sorts of things. That's what so wonderful about being young.

While we do try not to attract unwanted attention, we don't worry overly much about other people watching us find a cache. We try to act like we know what we're doing and like whatever it is we are doing is exactly what we are supposed to be doing--and most of the time no one pays attention to us.

If a place is too touchy, no amount of stealth will prevent people from noticing you. I've seen some caches I was sure wouldn't last a week last for years, and ones that I thought would last forever get noticed and removed in days--so you never can tell. If you ever feel that you are being closely watched, just pass on that cache for then and come back later. All you can do is your best.

You were probably just fine. I've learned that most people are too busy worrying about what people may think of them to wonder what other people are doing--unless you act too suspicous!

Kids make great caching partners. Most people don't give much thought to a child that gets excited about something or another, because kids so often do get excited about all sorts of things. That's what so wonderful about being young.

While we do try not to attract unwanted attention, we don't worry overly much about other people watching us find a cache. We try to act like we know what we're doing and like whatever it is we are doing is exactly what we are supposed to be doing--and most of the time no one pays attention to us.

If a place is too touchy, no amount of stealth will prevent people from noticing you. I've seen some caches I was sure wouldn't last a week last for years, and ones that I thought would last forever get noticed and removed in days--so you never can tell. If you ever feel that you are being closely watched, just pass on that cache for then and come back later. All you can do is your best.

Thanks, I would feel terrible if I ruined it for others....

I don't worry about muggles while looking for a cache. Although once you spot it, you don't want to be seen pulling it out of it's hiding spot, or rehiding it either. Signing in should be ok to be seen. Its just the process of removing and replacing the cache that you really should be careful.

I agree. While extracting a cache should be done as quickly and stealthily as possible, trying to conceal something like signing in or re-rolling a log doesn't need to be hidden, and will attract unwanted attention if you try. A person scribbling a note on a scrap of paper won't get a second glance; a person doing so on the inside of their jacket lining will.

I don't worry about muggles while looking for a cache. Although once you spot it, you don't want to be seen pulling it out of it's hiding spot, or rehiding it either. Signing in should be ok to be seen. Its just the process of removing and replacing the cache that you really should be careful.

I agree. While extracting a cache should be done as quickly and stealthily as possible, trying to conceal something like signing in or re-rolling a log doesn't need to be hidden, and will attract unwanted attention if you try. A person scribbling a note on a scrap of paper won't get a second glance; a person doing so on the inside of their jacket lining will.

Okay, Thanks for the tips! I really enjoy the remote ones where you can enjoy them without having to worry about being watched.

Awhile back I went searching for a cache that was in a very public place. It was in a unique sign/display just outside a Starbucks (with unobstructed views of patrons sitting at tables) and near a bus stop on a busy street. After a few minutes searching I found a container but it was up in a small area and I just couldn't get my fingers around it. After poking and proding with a stick for a few minutes I was able to pull out the container only to discover that it was a "letterbox". I replaced it and the searched the same area but on the other side of the sign and was able to touch a second container (probably less than a foot from the letterbox). Again, I had to use a stick to push the container out so that I could grab it. I signed the log and replaced the container. I found the cache at around 9:30am on New Years Day so there was almost nobody else around and even the Starbucks was mostly empty.

I have to wonder about the wisdom of placing a cache in a very public area that is so difficult to extract but surprisingly it looks like the caches has only gone missing once in the 2 years that it has been in place.

I usually avoid these caches. I'm not in this to play a cloak and dagger game. When I do encounter one I just walk up, grab it, sign the log and put it back. I don't care who is looking. If the owner insists on putting the cache where searchers will be seen, that's his choice and I'm not going to agonize over whether I'll be discovered.

My method probably attracts a lot less attention than someone who skulks around the site peeking over his shoulders to make sure nobody is looking.

I usually avoid these caches. I'm not in this to play a cloak and dagger game. When I do encounter one I just walk up, grab it, sign the log and put it back. I don't care who is looking. If the owner insists on putting the cache where searchers will be seen, that's his choice and I'm not going to agonize over whether I'll be discovered.

My method probably attracts a lot less attention than someone who skulks around the site peeking over his shoulders to make sure nobody is looking.

Personally, I find this method to be disrespectful. If one is truly not interested in those caches, it would probably be a better idea to walk away and leave it safe for those who do like the 'cloak and dagger' game.

Edited by sbell111

Personally, I find this method to be disrespectful. If one is truly not interested in those caches, it would probably be a better idea to walk away and leave it safe for those who do like the 'cloak and dagger' game.

I really don't think Snat's method is being disrespectful. I think he explained (as I see at least one other person in the thread mentioned), that it actually looks much less suspicious.

I really don't think Snat's method is being disrespectful. I think he explained (as I see at least one other person in the thread mentioned), that it actually looks much less suspicious.

I think the wording of his post makes his intent very clear.

My intent is clear, but what is important is the effect. In the end which is better for the longevity of the cache, my method or someone who likes to play spy and loiters around the cache for a half hour making believe their GPS is a cell phone and constantly peeking to see who is looking?

I'm with StarBand. I just go and do the cache. If someone sees me and get curious and then muggles the cache, oh well, to bad. If it was put in a better place that wouldn't be a problem now, would it? If someone comes up and asks me what I'm doing I tell them.

Jim

My intent is clear, but what is important is the effect. In the end which is better for the longevity of the cache, my method or someone who likes to play spy and loiters around the cache for a half hour making believe their GPS is a cell phone and constantly peeking to see who is looking?
What is better for the longevity of the cache is when the seeker is aware of whether someone is watching him and is willing to blow off the find to avoid having the cache muggled. The person who 'doesn't care who is looking' and doesn't care if he'll be discovered because he doesn't like these caches anyhow is clearly not acting in a manner which is better for the longevity of the cache.

I think that sometimes we need to be willing to blow off a cache find in order to not give away the hide, rather than blindly chase the smileys. It shouldn't be all about the numbers, after all.

Edited by sbell111
I think that sometimes we need to be willing to blow off a cache find in order to not give away the hide, rather than blindly chase the smileys. It shouldn't be all about the numbers, after all.

With a lot of these caches in high traffic area someone is always looking. I guess nobody should attempt them then.

...My intent is clear, but what is important is the effect. In the end which is better for the longevity of the cache, my method or someone who likes to play spy and loiters around the cache for a half hour making believe their GPS is a cell phone and constantly peeking to see who is looking?

What's best for the longevity of the cache is to be discrete and not be seen finding it. If that can't be avoided your plan b is second best. Playing spy should be avoided.

With a lot of these caches in high traffic area someone is always looking. I guess nobody should attempt them then.

Not only are there times when these areas are not full o' muggles, it is possible to find some caches without being seen doing so, even when muggles are around.

If the cache was in a playground, would you look for it while 50 preteens were there or when they weren't there?

That method only works well in city areas where there are plenty of people around who are busy going to or from somewhere. In a community park where kids are playing it would cause the cache to be "muggled". ;) The people that notice things are the ones with nothing to do. The ones just sitting and eating or watching the kids.

You can't skulk around the site and peek over your shoulders either as it will just draw attention. Just as some shoplifters are easy to spot as they seem to look up very quickly and around at everyone. ;)

Edited by 4wheelin_fool