Mapsource software

gates59

From what I have read I should probably get mapsource topo canada and city navigetor north america. Why? I know what topo means but does city navigator do something else that I don't know of. I bought a garmin gpsmap 60csx on ebay but I have to recieved it yet. Just trying to get myself setup. THNX.

From what I have read I should probably get mapsource topo canada and city navigetor north america. Why? I know what topo means but does city navigator do something else that I don't know of. I bought a garmin gpsmap 60csx on ebay but I have to recieved it yet. Just trying to get myself setup. THNX.

I think that TOPO Canada is routable so you might not need the City Navigator NA.

That is what I thought. How about metro guide. What is that, and why so many different software that do almost the same thing.

Down in the States the TOPO's are not routeable. So if you want both, you have to buy both. Metro Guide is an old version, and is nonrouteable street maps/POI's...

Some people just want the routeable maps, some the TOPO's, but most cachers would want both.

That is what I thought. How about metro guide. What is that, and why so many different software that do almost the same thing.

Down in the States the TOPO's are not routeable. So if you want both, you have to buy both. Metro Guide is an old version, and is nonrouteable street maps/POI's...

Some people just want the routeable maps, some the TOPO's, but most cachers would want both.

You can make those maps route with MetroGold. :unsure: Edited by TrailGators

You can make those maps route with MetroGold. :unsure:

Sure, but they are still old maps.

More to the point, if the OP gets the Canada TOPO maps he doesn't need Metroguide, Metro Gold, City Navigator, etc unless he travels out of his country.

More to the point, if the OP gets the Canada TOPO maps he doesn't need Metroguide, Metro Gold, City Navigator, etc unless he travels out of his country.

Very true but MetroGold is only six bucks and it will allow him to route even with Topo maps!

I've got a 60 CSx with TOPO Canada, CN NA 2008 and Metroguide Canada.

The maps on Metroguide Canada were getting a little bit too outdated for my liking, so I recently added CN NA 2008.

Topo Canada is routable, but has only major roads and is missing most streets in cities. The trail coverage is pretty good, but it would be nice if they'd bring out a new edition with shading and colors like the new US Topo.

Metroguide Canada has the same "geographical outline" as Topo Canada (with out the countour lines of course), but contains a ton of information with city streets and points of interest. It's a little bit old though. And it will auto route as well.

CN NA 2008 is the "latest greatest" map set for city navigation. It auto routes, which is nice, but geographical formations like rivers, lakes, etc are often not quite in the right place or are lacking the detail that Topo Canada and Metroguide Canada have. Frankly, I'm a little disappointed with that aspect of it, but in terms of getting you around town, it performs pretty well.

If you are using your GPS off road only, get Topo Canada. If you are using it a fair bit in the urban jungle, get CN NA 2008. And if $$$ isn't an issue, get them both.

Good Luck

Topo Canada will auto-route to Geographic features (POI's and caches) but not to street addresses. Metroguide Canada will auto-route to street addresses, caches and POI's.

Metroguide and Topo Canada are older but have better road detail in the outlying areas of Canada than City Navigator.

The best thing to do before buying is to go to Garmin's site and check out the map coverage in each of their products for the areas where you will spend most of your time.

Very true but MetroGold is only six bucks and it will allow him to route even with Topo maps!

The Canada TOPO's are routeable without Metro Gold.

Are you saying that Metro Gold will make the US TOPO 2008 routeable?

I guess we are getting ripped off in the US. According MetroGold's website it will make US TOPO 2008 routeable.

I should have mentioned that not only do Metroguide Canada and Topo Canada auto-route but they use exactly the same road network for their mapping. Metroguide is nice because it has shaded parks and POI's that will take you to specific addresses for various businesses. Topo has the geographic feature names and contours. I use both products as they serve different purposes.

Edited by ergomaniac

I guess we are getting ripped off in the US. According MetroGold's website it will make US TOPO 2008 routeable.

Well, the US gets the GPS's pretty cheap. A Vista HCx in Japan is about US$750, and a GPSMAP 60 CSx, about US$1,200

You can make those maps route with MetroGold. :blink:

Well, the US gets the GPS's pretty cheap. A Vista HCx in Japan is about US$750, and a GPSMAP 60 CSx, about US$1,200

Wow! :unsure: