Palm Zire 31 and Vista? Any solutions to Cachemate yet?

LDove

Oops perhaps I should have been more specific. When I got my new computer, it came preinstalled with Windows Vista. This does not work any longer with my Zire 31 Palm and Cachemate so I was looking for a "fix" for that. Does the above link work for that and how do you do it? Thank you.

:) Bump for any other help out there. Leaving for an extended geocaching trip next weekend and sure would like to use my palm with Cachemate. Other than buy an old computer with Windows XP I don't know what else to try, I wish there was an easier solution.

Here is one of my previous posts regarding the Palm Zire 72, Zire 31 and Palm TX. I have added a link at the end to try if you haven't already.

"Not sure about the Zire 72 but I bought a refurbished Zire 31 for the purpose of paperless caching. I installed the palmone software on my computer and followed all the directions and it worked. Hotsync and all. I first downloaded GSAK and looked at it. I then downloaded Cachemate and installed it on my Palm. I forget exactly how, but I think when I double clicked on the cachemate .exe it actually loaded itself into the QuickInstall of the palm software and then with a HotSync it installed itsefl on the Palm. I then went to geocaching.com and as a premium member I did a querry for unfound caches around my place. It was e-mailed to me. I then loaded that .gpx file into GSAK. In GSAK you can Export to Cachemate. I did that and the .GPX file was converted for the Palm. I did a HotSync and the .gpx file transferred to the Palm and was viewable with CacheMate on the Palm.

Having said all that, my refurbished Zire 31 crapped out on me within a few days. I took it back and got my money back. I then decided to buy a new Palm TX. Before installing the software for that I was told to use Control Panel/Add/Remove to remove the previous Palm software, which I did. I installed the new software that came in the new box and it didn't work. The software worked on the PC and on the palm, but would not HotSync. I then thought to upgrade the HotSync driver. I tried several downloads but always had the same problem. When I connected the Palm to the computer via the USB cable, I got a lot of ponging and pinging sounds. Thought I just installed the latest version of the 30 year old Pong video game. I had found on the Palm web site a newer version of Palm Desktop The web site asked me for the model of Palm (Palm TX) and the operating system on my computer (Windows XP Home) and directed me to a web page for the download. It was very plain to see on the download page that this was the software to use. It was called PalmDesktop by Access 6.2 for Windows and HotSync Manager 7.0. So I downloaded it and removed all previous versions of Palm software and installed this new version. Same problem. Lots of ponging and pinging. So finally I phoned Palm Support (if warranty still valid phone 1-866-260-2178) and explained what was happening. They told me I had just installed the software for Windows Vista. Yet the web page told me that it was for XP. Anyway, they told me to uninstall all previous versions of Palm software and go to:

www.palm.com/us/support/downloads/windesk414e.html

and get the XP version there. I followed their advice and voila, I am in business. HotSync and all.

That is my story. It took about 4 agonizing days to get to that stage."

http://www.palm.com/us/support/windowsvist...tml#palmdesktop