Ordnance Survey Outdoors Show, NEC

The Outdoors Show is being held at the NEC next weekend (Fri 14th - Sun 16th March) and looking through the program I have just noticed that they are advertising geocaching - there is even a half talk on Sunday afternoon about Geocaching in North Wales by Peter Hewlett.

So who is Peter Hewlett ..... surely he should be putting his caching name :)

Any other cachers going to the show ?

I was intending to go on Saturday, untill I found out the entry fees for pay on the day (plus car parking - £8?). Most of the offers are for two people as well. Seem to have gone up a lot over the last two or three years.

Anyway, I can't go now, as the other half has arranged visitors for the weekend - I'll just have to try and slip out for an hour or two's caching before they get here.

16 quid on the day so a load of companies can do their best to flog you stuff, plus 8 quid parking. Do they think we are daft?

We prebooked (lots of Internet vouchers/discount codes available) and got our tickets for £10 each (still available now)

Also, it looks like all the activites are included in the price of your ticket, so you can have a go at various different things - Caving, Canoeing, Climbing, Orienteering, Slacklining, Navigation, Mountain Biking, Photography, Bushcraft & survival, Diving, Ice Climbing .....and much more!

In addition to that there are things to watch and things to listen to.

We thought £10 was good value for a day out - although don't think we will have time to fit everything in.

16 quid on the day so a load of companies can do their best to flog you stuff, plus 8 quid parking. Do they think we are daft?

...also so they can give away lots of freebies :unsure:

Friend of mine went last year and came back with lots of stuff, and also some great show days only bargains.

...also so they can give away lots of freebies :unsure:

Friend of mine went last year and came back with lots of stuff, and also some great show days only bargains.

Maybe, shock horror :anibad: he's not even a geocacher and he's only read about it...

I came across this link last night. Seems odd though that an active local cacher hasn't heard of him.

MBF

Why???? Does anyone know my real name? :lol:

Maybe not, but the local cachers around here do tend to know each other to be honest... in fact, I think Scott works with half of the N Wales cachers!!! :laughing:

I've never heard of him... and I usually make it my business to meet everyone I can!

...also so they can give away lots of freebies

Oooo...

I like Freebies! :huh:

We're there on Friday, will see if we can grab any.

If you're there after us and there's no freebies, you know who'se had them! :laughing:

It was £8 parking the other week when I was there for another exhibition. :anibad:

Have heard, if you park at the train station, and take the train 1 stop to the NEC it's cheaper...

But don't quote me! :lol:

G

Maybe, shock horror :anibad: he's not even a geocacher and he's only read about it...

I came across this link last night. Seems odd though that an active local cacher hasn't heard of him.

MBF

Why???? Does anyone know my real name? :lol:

Maybe not, but the local cachers around here do tend to know each other to be honest... in fact, I think Scott works with half of the N Wales cachers!!! :laughing:

I've never heard of him... and I usually make it my business to meet everyone I can!

Exactly! If it was a person running an outdoor business in the Lakes and claiming to be an active cacher I'm sure I'd have a pretty good idea of his caching name.

...also so they can give away lots of freebies :laughing:

your lucky and get twice as many freebies then?

we went yesterday having got £10 tickets and had great fun though it is indeed impossible to do and see everything in one day. Having been last year we werent sure if we would be bored with it all but actually really enjoyed it. All the activities are free which makes it well worth it as there are lots of climbing, canoeing, kayaking, mountain biking, diving etc etc though you have to get there early and book a slot.

Garmin have a big stand there but we werent overly impressed, only two Colorados and people were practically fighting to get to them -really surprised that they didnt have more there. There is also a caching event with a Colorado as a prize but it wasnt overly great, wouldnt give newbies a real insight into caching plus shame that they didnt link in with geocaching.com and make it a proper event.

Plus yes there are lots of freebies though not as many as last year, you just need to find them. The best place to get them from is the Fashion show as afterwards they chuck loads of goodies into the crowd however it does turn into a free for all. Best time to go is at the end of the day as most people have gone home.

I would say its definitely worth going to and well worth the money if you like outdoor stuff

We also went yesterday and had a good day. Talking to some of the stand holders - they say that Friday was a good day to visit as there is still space to wander around/look at things without too many crowds/queues.

We got some good 'show' deals on things that we wanted to buy .... so certainly got our 'entrance fee' back.

As bikermel76 said - The Garmin 'geocaching' competition is worth doing (prize is a Colorado - and someone has to win it !) but it doesn't reflect what caching is really about. It would have been good if there was a real cache/log book at the end even though you wouldn't be able to log it on GC.com.

Overall, we had a good day and will certainly go another year

Went on Saturday, had a great time, good to meet up with Helen in Mustardland, Hawkeye1921, M1EYO and The Molinnis Crew.

Garmin had at least 4 Colorados on display and I had a play on a couple of occasions in the morning and afternoon with no problems.

I was there yesterday. Had plenty of time to look at the Colorado, with the exception of the other half standing around saying "But I got you a good one for Xmas...." (which she did, so I mustn't complain!

Had a good wonder around the show, met aaronsharpe & willow177 as we popped along to see what the Geocaching talk was all about. Turned out to be a small intro to geocaching with a push on the new geocachingwales.com website. Quick pointers to travel bugs etc.

It was short and sweet, could perhaps of been in slightly more detail but it got the message across and there seemed to be at least 2 families interested.

Turned out to be a small intro to geocaching with a push on the new geocachingwales.com website
which (no surprises) is owned by Edge of Wales Walk, which is a commercial website.......... B)B)

Hey, if it gets more caches set in the Lleyn Peninsula and Snowdonia that's no bad thing. As on my radius of attack, I'm having to venture over the border into <gulp> England! :)B)B)

Edit for trying to be clever but still tipping with fat fongers. B)

Edited by scottpa100

Scott is right...

The Lleyn is a wonderful place... one of my all time favourite places, and yet there's only about 10 caches in what is fundamentally a rural area. The caches that are there also tend to be on very long walks, or are quite difficult. I last went a few months back, with my muggle sister, and so I could only do a nice quick cache, or a drive by if anything. I was hard pressed to find one!!!

...snip....

As bikermel76 said - The Garmin 'geocaching' competition is worth doing (prize is a Colorado - and someone has to win it !) but it doesn't reflect what caching is really about. It would have been good if there was a real cache/log book at the end even though you wouldn't be able to log it on GC.com.

......snip

:grin:;) It certainly was worth doing :D :D ... I have just returned home after being away at a conference for a few days to find that we are a winner of a Colarado 300 in the geocaching competition. So I now have a brand new shiny toy to play with ;) (perfect timing as my 3yr old Garmin Legend is starting to play up a bit)

..... just glad we don't need to leave a swap of equal or greater value :D

:grin:;) It certainly was worth doing :D :D ... I have just returned home after being away at a conference for a few days to find that we are a winner of a Colarado 300 in the geocaching competition. So I now have a brand new shiny toy to play with ;) (perfect timing as my 3yr old Garmin Legend is starting to play up a bit)

..... just glad we don't need to leave a swap of equal or greater value :D

Oooooh, lucky you! Congratulations! I'll be interested to know what it's like. I'm going to get a new GPS (in one form or another) at the end of this year.