What is the protocol on DNF posting

Dadbo

I leave the DNF and add a find. I look at it as a record of my adventures and enjoy reviewing a cache and our experiences with it.

HarLin

So I post a DNF to a cache, but later I find the elusive little monster. Do I post the find and remove the previous :) DNF?

I leave the DNF and fess up to the number of times I went back and didn't post a DNF! And I fess up if someone helped or if maybe a clue just suddenly made sense. Or I fess up if I was just a dummy!

I agree with a previous poster -- this all adds to the cache history and makes for a fun read.

I'll agree with everyone else who's posted: leave the original DNF. My typical policy is to post a DNF after my first search attempt, but only post additional DNF's if I give it a REALLY good search or something odd or interesting happens. I usually tell how many trips it took in my final "Found It" log.

We've always left the DNFs, and then just log a Find when/if we do find it. For very nearby local caches we may not log all DNFs as chances are if we are passing the spot every day for the next few days and we have a bit of a quick look each day, as it could get pretty annoying for the owner to get our DNFs each day when it is not needed to alert them to an issue. If we have had a real serious good look we will post a DNF.

Annie

Ok, I'll be the odd man out here. I edit the previous log. I will change the DNF to Fount It and add the find information to the existing DNF text:

This the original DNF text. :rolleyes:

EDIT: On 1/1/2000 I returned and located the cache :)

I do this because it keeps the integrity of the cache log (people can read both the DNF info and the eventual find), and it prevents lots of searching on DNF's to see if I found them later.

The integrity is not quite maintained because you have the wrong log date for the find. (Yes, I know you put it in the text...but those of us using programs like GSAK [and looking at summary information] will not know you had a DNF on that date and will think you found it when you didn‘t.)

Edited by beejay&esskay

I started out editing my DNF logs into Found's but I, too, felt that it was altering both the cache's and my personal history. I left the original logs as they were and have switch to leaving my DNF's as they stand.

Also, when you create a log, an email is sent to the cache owner. An edited log does not, so the only way the CO would know that you got a find would be to visit the cache page for some other reason and stumble on your modified log.

It's important to log the DNFs especially for cache owners. We had a very frustrating DNF that we logged. I checked back a week later 3 other DNFs prompted the cache owner to check on it. Turns out the cache was missing and the owner replaced it. If no one logged DNFs the owner would have never known.

I do not necessarily log more than one DNF on a cache. But, if I have logged a DNF, I have logged a DNF. When I find a cache, I log a Find. Finding a cache does not change the fact that I DNFed that cache previously. What is is.

There is one particular cache here I logged 3 DNFs on LOL Three different days and I just couldn't find the darn thing! Took my son on the 4th day and the lil bugger found it within minutes :unsure:

I've logged 2 DNFs on my first day out... and it turned out to be a good thing. The cache owner contacted me about one of them, and turns out I was looking in exactly the right place for exactly the right thing.

The owner is on his way to check out the hide now. I haven't heard back... but I'm guessing something is missing or out of place.

So yeah.... the DNF was a good idea.

And to me, getting to log a find after logging at least one DNF on one is actually something I look forward to. It'll be really nice to show that accomplishment.

~Ariel

I don't always log my DNF's even on the first attempt out. I am so new at this that my not finding it does not mean there is anything wrong or that it is even all that hard. One that I found today took me 3 tries. The first two I had my gps set wrong so user error caused the DNF. I never logged them, but I mentioned on my found log today that I had been there twice before.

I have logged DNF's on a couple where I really enjoyed the journey even though I did not make the find. When I do finally find them, I will leave the DNF logs and just post a new found log.

I don't always log my DNF's even on the first attempt out. I am so new at this that my not finding it does not mean there is anything wrong or that it is even all that hard. One that I found today took me 3 tries. The first two I had my gps set wrong so user error caused the DNF. I never logged them, but I mentioned on my found log today that I had been there twice before.

I have logged DNF's on a couple where I really enjoyed the journey even though I did not make the find. When I do finally find them, I will leave the DNF logs and just post a new found log.

Lots of people start playing this game. In fact, nearly all of us started at one point. Maybe you should leave DNFs so that the next person who starts playing and fails to find a particlar cache isn't discouraged by what looks like a flawless record of finds.

Edited by miles_vagar