GPS ?,is this ok..And Hello to all....

ranger56528

I just bought the Garmin eTrex Vista HCx with the topo chip,I couldnt pass up the price,321.00 for both anyway will this be good for all around use.I have a Maridian Gold GPS unit now but never got anything downloaded into it so it just sits around collecting dust(nice gps tho)....

Anyway I wanted a GPS that I didnt have to download maps to because I have windows Vista and all the software say windows 98 or Xp and not Vista,I tried to download streetmap to the Maridian but it woudnt transfer to the gps......Thus the reason for buying a Garmin......I like just plugging in the chip.

So is this a good GPS for all around use......

That is the GPS unit I have. Although I haven't visited the Garmin site lately, I bet they have City Navigator, the auto-routing street maps, Vista-ready. I find CN to be very helpful for me, but unless you travel to unfamiliar areas frequently, you might not need it.

I haven't had any problem loading maps onto either the 60 CSx or the Vista HCx since the big change to Windows Vista.

If you're back country caching or working in areas you're familiar with the roads you don't "need" city navigator but it sure is nice to select a cache, hit goto and follow road to get to the nearest point then switch to topo or just follow the arrow. Ony a couple times urban caching I've had CN route me to the nearst point to find that it was a "you can't get there from here" kinda place and have to drive around to come at it from a different direction.

The Windows Vista dosnt recognize the USB cable that came with the Meridian gps and I couldnt find any downloads..anyway I got the topo insted of cn being how I can buy a city map if need be....

I guess what I should do is buy a new Street map cd and download it from my friends laptop with windows xp,then I can leave the Maridian in the pickup and use the Garmin with topo out in the field.....DUH.....

You folks have me thinking now witch isnt a good thing,well sometimes it gets me in trouble with the Wife if you know what I mean....